Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 06:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 05:51 GMT 

Yay...Lovely ...Thank You

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 06:27 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
4-17-17 whole show phone audio
stormy weather brings in the debut at 19:15 yay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcNF7lT_2s

thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 06:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

bobschool wrote:
4-17-17 whole show phone audio
stormy weather brings in the debut at 19:15 yay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBcNF7lT_2s

Thank YOU!! :D

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 08:06 GMT 

zagonga wrote:
AMSTERDAM. 17-4-2017.

1. Things Have Changed.
2. Don't Think Twice, It's Alright.
3. Highway 61 Revisited.
4. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'.
5. Stormy Weather. (Concert debut)
6. Pay In Blood
7. Melancholy Mood
8. Duquesne Whistle
9. Scarlet town
10. Tangled Up In Blue
11. Early Roman Kings
12. Spirit On The Water
13. Love Sick
14. All Or Nothing At All
15. Desolation Row
16. Soon After Midnight
17. That Old Black Magic
18. Long And Wasted Years
19. Autumn Leaves

(Encore)
20. Blowin' In The Wind
21. Ballad Of A Thin Man

Amazing set list !

Lucky all people who were there.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 08:20 GMT 

I don't post here often (anymore), but here are my thoughts on the first night (april 16th):

Compared to his last two visits to Amsterdam (2013, same venue - 2015 in Carre) I thought there was a remarkable drop in quality of performance. I thought those last two visits were great, but this concert was average at best.

While I enjoy some Sinatra covers (Melancholy Mood for instance), I thought All or Nothing at All, and Old Black Magic were terrible. Autumn Leaves is fine, but not as a closer to the main set.

But also the other stuff was not quite as good as it has been before. Pay in Blood, Long and Wasted Years and Things Have Changed are really lacklustre compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Ballad of a Thin Man is not nearly as good as it was around 2010/2011. Also, while She Belongs to Me was often a highlight imo (and performed with vigor) we now get a throw away performance of Don't Think Twice. Same goes for Desolation Row: while Forgetful Heart or Simple Twist used to be show stoppers, this is just a mess (not in the least due to the piano).

There were some good moments though: really enjoyed Love Sick (almost on par with the great 2015 versions as final encore), Tangled, and Early Roman Kings. Overall I thought the vocals were good as well.

Although I think it makes perfect sense for him to work with a static set list (it really marked an improve in performance between 2012 and 2013), I think it is time for him and his band to craft a new set.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 08:36 GMT 

Well, now that I'm stuck at the airport for god knows how long, I think I've changed my mind. The shows were both perfect, the venue is the best ever and I should totally stay for tonight as well. Does anyone have a good ticket for sale?

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 09:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

Codyke wrote:
...we now get a throw away performance of Don't Think Twice.

Those have been throw-ways for quite some time, yes.

Codyke wrote:
...really enjoyed Love Sick, Tangled, and Early Roman Kings.

Amazing these continue to be solid mainstays!

Codyke wrote:
...I think it is time for him and his band to craft a new set.

Long overdue, yes.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 09:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

A new approach, more like.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 11:06 GMT 

Codyke wrote:
I don't post here often (anymore), but here are my thoughts on the first night (april 16th):

Compared to his last two visits to Amsterdam (2013, same venue - 2015 in Carre) I thought there was a remarkable drop in quality of performance. I thought those last two visits were great, but this concert was average at best.

While I enjoy some Sinatra covers (Melancholy Mood for instance), I thought All or Nothing at All, and Old Black Magic were terrible. Autumn Leaves is fine, but not as a closer to the main set.

But also the other stuff was not quite as good as it has been before. Pay in Blood, Long and Wasted Years and Things Have Changed are really lacklustre compared to 2 or 3 years ago. Ballad of a Thin Man is not nearly as good as it was around 2010/2011. Also, while She Belongs to Me was often a highlight imo (and performed with vigor) we now get a throw away performance of Don't Think Twice. Same goes for Desolation Row: while Forgetful Heart or Simple Twist used to be show stoppers, this is just a mess (not in the least due to the piano).

There were some good moments though: really enjoyed Love Sick (almost on par with the great 2015 versions as final encore), Tangled, and Early Roman Kings. Overall I thought the vocals were good as well.

Although I think it makes perfect sense for him to work with a static set list (it really marked an improve in performance between 2012 and 2013), I think it is time for him and his band to craft a new set.

I thought I'd share my thoughts, but I see you got there before me - and I more or less agree.

The 16th felt like a pretty rough show. Since the setlist is so similar to the last time he came to Amsterdam (he played 5 different songs, I think, compared to 2 years ago) but this venue is way worse, the comparison is not really favorable.

Back then he was really in the zone, and taking a lot of care to sing those Sinatra songs properly; now, he was taking a more loose approach. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't: there's more "Dylan" there, but his singing and pronounciation suffers. The piano playing seemed more plonky than usual, sometimes almost unmusical (and at times it felt like Sexton was parodying Dylan's playing, like on ERK).

Duquesne Whistle was the low point of the show for me. Cutting the main guitar part in this newish arrangment hollows the song out, and Dylan was dangerously close to really being off time throughout the song. They did play the best version of Love Sick I've heard him do in recent times to make up for it, though..

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 12:21 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
Show was better than yesterday, IMO.

Judging by Bob's face and how active Tony was tonight, I'd guess I'm not the only person who wasn't totally satisfied with yesterday's performance. It's been a while since I'd seen everyone chatting so much on stage. Even Stu seemed to have something to say.

Noodle was again relatively long and performed partly with lights on because someone turned off the stage lights but not the ones on the floor.

Very early on, Tony seemed to be unhappy with whatever George was doing. I've no idea what they were talking about, but it looked like Tony was warning George about something. Towards the end of the show, there was again a moment where George seemed to be ready to do something Tony didn't really approve of. He gave him the kind of look people give to their toddlers when they catch them prepared to do something they know they shouldn't do.

Based on the comments above I'm wondering if there was a problem with the monitor mixes/onstage sound.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 12:53 GMT 

Seems they have turned the volume levels way up again to near rock levels. The last few euro tours the stage soundlevels were not above 100db and it was almost acoustic concert levesl. (I actually talked to soundengineer about it in Hamburg in 2014 and realized it myself standing in right in front of the band for the encores there.

This meant for sure that its way easier to sing in a lower range and with less shouting than Dylan does now where the sound is back to higher levels. If you go back and check the recordings from 2014 and 215 you will realize how much more slick Bobs voice sounds on those recordings.

It seems he has a tendency to shout more when being center, possibly due to being closer to the drummer. Than when being at the piano.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 14:33 GMT 

Jeeps wrote:
Codyke wrote:

I thought I'd share my thoughts, but I see you got there before me - and I more or less agree.

The 16th felt like a pretty rough show. Since the setlist is so similar to the last time he came to Amsterdam (he played 5 different songs, I think, compared to 2 years ago) but this venue is way worse, the comparison is not really favorable.

Back then he was really in the zone, and taking a lot of care to sing those Sinatra songs properly; now, he was taking a more loose approach. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't: there's more "Dylan" there, but his singing and pronounciation suffers. The piano playing seemed more plonky than usual, sometimes almost unmusical (and at times it felt like Sexton was parodying Dylan's playing, like on ERK).

Duquesne Whistle was the low point of the show for me. Cutting the main guitar part in this newish arrangment hollows the song out, and Dylan was dangerously close to really being off time throughout the song. They did play the best version of Love Sick I've heard him do in recent times to make up for it, though..

Could not agree more... The entire things is getting more and more stale and sloppy at the same time.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 15:47 GMT 

As to the comments regarding the recent performances.
I have not been to these shows or even listened to the recordings.
Only because I don't want to mess with the live experience I will have coming up in June on the East Coast. But I will say, that while I enjoyed the hell out of last summers performances of a very similar set list. There is no question that this is an incredibly powerful blues band and a great blues singer who are not playing much of the blues at this time. During the 2012 tours I heard some of the best live blues performance of any band, and to top it off the enthusiasm and excitement Bob was exhibiting on stage were just to die for. I remember a show in Johnstown PA when I thought he would jump right off the stage on top of us he was so wound up, he sang a rare performance of Savings Grace, but he also did Jolene and Can't Wait with the first season of piano instead of the organ.
It is hard to get excited about the slower tunes and the swing sound when you love the blues.
That is most likely why the performance of ERK and Love Sick are so great in this tour, it is what the band excels at. I don't long for more of his older songs, I just want to hear more of what the band is so great at, the rough rolling, hard rocking blues/jazz thing they do so well and with so much polish.

Still I will never complain at the opportunity to see The Dylan Show live under any circumstances,
As our fellow fan Johnny Borgan has said before, " I will stand in line!"

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 

so will I Mistress Mary :D

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 18:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Any more 'surprises' yet?

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 18:54 GMT 
Promethium Member

Stay Tuned...ya Nevah Nevah know.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

That was a great Savimg Grace, and it must have been quite a surprise at the time, too!

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

Where Did Vincent van Gogh? would be the perfect choice...

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:30 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Any more 'surprises' yet?

Depends. If Matt77 is in the house we'll certainly hear about some surprises. New Pony could be played tonight.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:33 GMT 

:lol: :oops:

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:34 GMT 

Acne (Doo wah) would be worthwhile...

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:43 GMT 

rainy woman by matt?

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:48 GMT 

Blind Willie would be great, but really needs the harp.

Million Miles, or another performance of Standing would work for me.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 20:00 GMT 

Mistress Mary wrote:
another performance of Standing would work for me.

Should not be a problem. He usually performs half of the show standing these days.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 20:03 GMT 

:D :) 8) :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next