Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 11:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: How can I delete a post?
PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 10:55 GMT 

Sorry, i'm still a new member of ER.
Well, my question is: Is there any way of delete a post?
In someplace of this forum I read that I had to look for an "x" in the post, but I didn't find it.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 11:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

You can only delete one for a short while after you have made it (the edit function works in the same way). The x referred to is in the bottom right hand, Once I have posted this I will be able to delete it for a short time, but I won't - instead I will take a screenshot of this post including the delete option.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ha ha - for some reason the 'upload a file' option ain't working - once it is I will try again to upload a screenshot.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 12:12 GMT 
Mercury Member

Here you can see there is an edit option - using that you can either edit or delete your post. As I said, this disappears after a short time and you can no longer change or remove a post.

Attachment:
There is the edit button, over there next to 'quote'..png

Now THIS is very odd - in trying to reply to this thread I got no option to upload a photo, so I drafted a reply in a different thread, and then cut and pasted to put it here, and hey presto the photo has disappeared - What's Happening ER Mods?

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 16:29 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I'm afraid I can't give a definitive answer to your question at present, tim - posting a bit of site furniture which appears in every post at some point in another post is a rather arcane matter. I'll look into it further. It may be the image was the wrong size. It may be screenshots can't be used as an attachments. It may be there's something wrong with the attachment.

Possibly posting a picture of a post is potentially prevented by the software considering quotation is quite the quickest and most regular way of referencing another post.

As a more general observation, if people wish to post images I'd always recommend using the "Img" button rather than uploading a file as an attachment.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 18:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
I'm afraid I can't give a definitive answer to your question at present, tim - posting a bit of site furniture which appears in every post at some point in another post is a rather arcane matter. I'll look into it further. It may be the image was the wrong size. It may be screenshots can't be used as an attachments. It may be there's something wrong with the attachment.

Possibly posting a picture of a post is potentially prevented by the software considering quotation is quite the quickest and most regular way of referencing another post.

As a more general observation, if people wish to post images I'd always recommend using the "Img" button rather than uploading a file as an attachment.

Thanks, but I think in this case you may be mistaken - I use that facility all the time (well, frequently) in exactly the same way, so it can't be at this end. I post exclusively screenshots, as I don't know any other method. I don't know about the Img button though - I'm using a mac if that makes a difference? That might be a great tip for the future, thanks.

In fact I'll try it now, with the image I was gonna upload... let's see! (Touches blue paper and retires...)

Eh? How does that work?

EDIT - I can see it didn't. For what it's worth, the image I was gonna upload was really small, a LOT smaller than the stated maximum - I'm quite used to posting pics here without a problem, but often have to make them smaller, not so in this case.... Heck, I don't really mind but it is odd.

PostPosted: Tue April 18th, 2017, 19:05 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I understand, it would be nice to get an explanation. I'll see what I can find out and keep you posted, tim.