Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 15:56 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 07:46 GMT 

Every Dylan-show brings new understanding. Here, songs that are not very spectacular can unfold another kind of tension. I noticed it when Spirit On The Water was not boring because Dylan transcended text and music. Because of the way how it was sung and played.- how it was performed. Something else could be felt, a story beyond the external impressions.

Last edited by Kle on Wed April 12th, 2017, 07:49 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 07:48 GMT 

Bill Pagel wrote:
Hamburg, Germany
Barclaycard Arena
April 11, 2017

1. Things Have Changed (Bob standing at piano)
2. To Ramona (Bob sitting at piano)
3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob standing at piano)
4. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob sitting at piano)
5. Why Try To Change Me Now (Bob center stage)
6. Pay In Blood (Bob standing at piano)
7. Melancholy Mood (Bob center stage)
8. Duquesne Whistle (Bob sitting at piano)
9. Love Sick (Bob center stage)
10. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob center stage then sitting at piano)
11. Early Roman Kings (Bob sitting at piano)
12. Spirit On The Water (Bob Bob sitting at piano)
13. Scarlet Town (Bob center stage)
14. All Or Nothing At All (Bob center stage)
15. Desolation Row (Bob sitting at piano)
16. Soon After Midnight (Bob sitting at piano)
17. That Old Black Magic (Bob center stage)
18. Long And Wasted Years (Bob center stage)
19. Autumn Leaves (Bob center stage)

(encore)
20. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob sitting at piano)
21. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob standing at piano)

In summary for me a very good/excellent concert. A great band from subtle to rock. Interesting (new) arrangements that build a dynamic and long setlist. A crystal clear sound.

Things Have Changed - maybe the old opening slot problem - was sung very sloppy making it hard to understand some verses. It disappointed me therefore a bit, though the new upbeat style is very worth hearing.
To Ramona was an ace: excellent vocals of the reborn singer, who plays with his vocal styles and the different emotions in the song, being - as in the whole show - physically very present and healthy looking. Forget the (somehow also a but ridiculous) description to songs "sitting at the piano" or "standing at the piano" - yesterday at least in the outro he was nearly always standing at the piano rocking with his band. Highway 61 Revisited was awesome. Surely one of the best versions vocally and musically I've heard in concert. So focused, so moving. So hard rocking - wow! Same goes to Beyond Here Lies Nothin' being hard driven by the excellent piano waves and spot-on vocals.

On the contrary to many reports slot nr. 5 was I Could Have Told You, being released now on the new triple album "Triplicate". Bob's performance catching the mic stand and doing his moves was alone worth the admission. Happy to hear this nice tune, its storytelling. Surprised about a change in the set, too. Is Bob now singing the standards more in "his voice and singing style" than, let's say in 2015? Listen to it...

Pay In Blood - a breathtaking strong and rocking version, Melancholy Mood soooooo beautiful, so full of feeling and wisdom in the voice, Duquesne Whistle so upbeat, bluesy, rocky, swinging. Happy to feel and see these highly crafted musicians and their genious mastermind playing together on THIS level. Love Sick was astonishing: the old rock arrangement is still there, in the shadow. Upfront is the storyteller, the singer telling his (or yours or mine?) story. What great vocal delivery. Tangled Up in Blue was Kind of jamming out of the beautifully sung '...to be with you...' line, an even further evolving masterpiece. New lyrics, in my ears at least very autobiographical to Dylan and his experiences himself. Great interacting of Bob and Charlie. By the way: I really like the short musical jams inbetween and connecting the tunes.
After these top level performances Early Roman Kings has had a heavy burden. A great and inspired version, but surely not the best song for this slot. This goes too for Spirit On The Water, which Bob obviously loves, me not so much. Though it created a unique atmosphere tonight, it drowned you in, attracted you. Scarlet Town and All Or Nothing At All brought me back in the show. What a voice, what excellent performances, what a sound.
Desolation Row in its new arrangement was for me one of the night's stellar performances. Alfred Nobel would have been proud of his laureate. Forget for a moment '66 nostalgia and all its hype, listen to the 2017 version and be a bit grateful, that we have Bob still in the road giving us still so much.
Soon After Midnight was a very nice delivery, That Old Black Magic was awesome. Pure joy to hear and see Bob and his guys interacting that way.
Long And Wasted Years was a bit of a come down then unfortunately. The version did not convince me because of the vocals, sometimes not as clear and punchy as I have hoped for.
On the contrary to Autumn Leaves: simply touching, moving, even depressing by Bob's top notch singing. There is always an end to anything. Never forget, Folks, also to this 'Neverending Tour'...
The encore was beautiful (Blowin') to really outstanding and mind blowing: Ballad Of A Thin Man. Powerful. Strong. Fitting. A perfect closer for Bob today and for Bob's critics of today, being as limited as 52 years ago. Don't dare miss Dylan '17!

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Wed April 12th, 2017, 08:07 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 08:05 GMT 

Hawkmoon wrote:
By the way: I really like the short musical jams inbetween and connecting the tunes.

me too - such as sparingly used, but effective spices.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 09:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's probably been discussed and I missed it, but what's the guitar intro that Stu plays? It sounded familiar, but I couldn't name the tune.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 11:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's probably been discussed and I missed it, but what's the guitar intro that Stu plays? It sounded familiar, but I couldn't name the tune.

I think it's still Foggy Dew.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83382&hilit=Noodle&start=25

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88942&hilit=Noodle

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 15:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

beautiful observations Kle and Hawkmoon

Stollentroll thanks, when lightning struck
bet people who were there at the Star Club were there at the Arena last night, very cool

The Beatles - Live At The Star Club, December 1962 1:05:41
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJbAMYcNxbE

Hamburg 1962

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 16:43 GMT 

I like Dylans big respect for other artists. This "naive" enthusiasm like a fan - wandering around Neil Youngs parents' house, smelling the air, where the Beatles grew up, singing everything Sinatra sang - is perhaps an important source for his own creativity.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 16:52 GMT 

Agree ^^^ I love that sense that he is still enchanted by music.

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:43 GMT 

Bob and the band delivered amazing performances from start to finish.
The set list might not have enough alterations for some, but right now these are the songs Bob puts his heart into and truly brings alive. It's a blessing to witness that.
I hope I'll still say the same thing in two weeks, if the Frankfurt set list is identical... :wink:

Since I haven't seen it mentioned before: during the encore break, the crowd successfully managed to get to the railing despite the securities opposition to that. The way Bob grinned while playing BitW and BoaTM and afterwards, I had the slight suspicion that he enjoyed our defiance (of course I might be totally wrong about that).

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

There's a great RCM recording of this up on dime: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=588972

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 17:54 GMT 

my precious time wrote:
Since I haven't seen it mentioned before: during the encore break, the crowd successfully managed to get to the railing despite the securities opposition to that. The way Bob grinned while playing BitW and BoaTM and afterwards, I had the slight suspicion that he enjoyed our defiance (of course I might be totally wrong about that).

I had the same impression - that he enjoyed. As a foggy reminder, or like the shard of a broken vase, a bad Hamburg photo of my cheap mobile phone while he played BLOWIN`

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 19:27 GMT 

Managers to get these snapshots after the stagerush. Though security was tight and very aggressive

Concert was great though and the set is very well laid out and Bob really seems fit and in great condition for his age.

Though it might seem boring that they Play the same set every Night. They really have perfected it and delivers something something that makes the fans go home happy and its not hit and miss like in earlier years.

Looking forward to Dusseldorf tomorrow.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/aa63d80cf619e3050fcee3ea61514a2c.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/fa927c705327a0c73689a49e9fdfacf1.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/b2b7cce67582a989acab201e4b7310e9.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/d6cfbd364dd866532cb4a99e75437bfe.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/4d3c60659bc40b410971b28e15249e4c.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/daa12a7c610439df7abe870dc14035f6.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/cd532beec78cfce5c91a6ea34c7a842a.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 19:35 GMT 

One more

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170412/249e781839fdcf11c27895eb2306d925.jpg[/img]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 20:41 GMT 

Thanks for the pictures, Blind Boy.

Now I'm almost glad I wasn't there, cuz there's no way I wouldn't have lmao at those jackets and then I'd feel bad about it again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed April 12th, 2017, 21:48 GMT 

Tapatalk links doenst seem to work so image repost here:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 10:20 GMT 

I must confess. I listened to the show twice now and I find it magnificent. I'm totally shocked that it could still happen. Bob's voice is terrific and shows many dimensions and emotions. But the kicker for me is the band. Since the sound has been muted a bit the last few years to fit along side Dylan's attention to his vocals , I didn't think they could grab me. While dylan has no doubt sung much better I find Many performances to be flat and limp lacking a punch. When you listen to this recording and sample beyond here, love sick, Scarlet it has everything. The band playing in great confidence. The sound multi layered. The singer free to roam in his expressive purr. sheer dynamite. It brought something back for me that I had been missing. Maybe the recording? Maybe just a really good night? But well worth another revisit. If you haven't listened to it. Do yourself a
Favor.

Sample at a very high volume beyond-love sick-Scarlet and go from there. The show is
Very strong to my ears. Hell, the new things have changed is a total winner for me. I was hesitant at
Stockholm. But the piano runs here are great. The rest of the songs fit nicely along side one another and some dynamite singing and color from
The boys follows. The only blemish is all or nothing. The rest of the standards fit perfectly. And autumn leaves is masterpiece theatre.

https://www.needsomefun.net/april-11201 ... ert-auido/

Does
This taper have more recordings? Where can we find them?

Awesome sauce
Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 10:51 GMT 

Thanks for turning me on to this. Have only skimmed on a crappy IPad speaker but Bob does sound in amazing form- this sounds fresh and vital: tune in folks...

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 11:31 GMT 

I had it going pretty loud in a nice set of headphones last night on the back deck underneath the moon & stars...glass of Oban...just right kids. I really can't say enough about how good it sounded. Hope you get around to non-crappy audio bliss. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 12:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

NEP wrote:
I must confess. I listened to the show twice now and I find it magnificent. I'm totally shocked that it could still happen. Bob's voice is terrific and shows many dimensions and emotions. But the kicker for me is the band. Since the sound has been muted a bit the last few years to fit along side Dylan's attention to his vocals , I didn't think they could grab me. While dylan has no doubt sung much better I find Many performances to be flat and limp lacking a punch. When you listen to this recording and sample beyond here, love sick, Scarlet it has everything. The band playing in great confidence. The sound multi layered. The singer free to roam in his expressive purr. sheer dynamite. It brought something back for me that I had been missing. Maybe the recording? Maybe just a really good night? But well worth another revisit. If you haven't listened to it. Do yourself a
Favor.

Sample at a very high volume beyond-love sick-Scarlet and go from there. The show is
Very strong to my ears. Hell, the new things have changed is a total winner for me. I was hesitant at
Stockholm. But the piano runs here are great. The rest of the songs fit nicely along side one another and some dynamite singing and color from
The boys follows. The only blemish is all or nothing. The rest of the standards fit perfectly. And autumn leaves is masterpiece theatre.

https://www.needsomefun.net/april-11201 ... ert-auido/

Does
This taper have more recordings? Where can we find them?

Awesome sauce
Great stuff.

Thanks!
Just wondering if this is the same recording as the one listed here, or a different taper?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=90277

PostPosted: Sat April 15th, 2017, 13:53 GMT 

I don't know. I've only streamed it from that link. I'd love to have access to that recording in MP3 file. If anyone can make that happen I'd be forever grateful. I've requested origins/taper of that link from the website in the mean time.

PostPosted: Mon April 17th, 2017, 00:27 GMT 

After hearing the following night today. A great recording and solid performances beyond here , love sick, Duquesne to name a few. That aside... Hamburg was just special. The very next night we
Don't get that it factor with bob voice and band. Still it seems like a hot pocket part of tour. I'm so very thankful to the great tapers that made it happen and preserved one helleavu show

PostPosted: Mon April 17th, 2017, 00:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

yay i just love all this love NEP and thank you all and i feel much better

after a few months watching @LouiseMensch get closer and closer

and isn't it beautiful, the stars and omg Oban Oban.

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch

https://patribotics.blog

PostPosted: Mon April 17th, 2017, 10:17 GMT 

I apologize I mentioned listening to the next night after Hamburg. But was actually the Düsseldorf show. Just listening to lingren Now and two songs in very nice ...the last Ramona ...sigh.

PostPosted: Mon April 17th, 2017, 16:49 GMT 

After listening to the recording I know better what it was with “Spirit On The Water” in Hamburg. Dylan sings as if he talks on the bar after the second SPIRIT. OR tells heated his feelings to a photograph of someone. In the previous versions, Dylans words sounded for me as if they came from a letter. Here from a real scene of life.

PostPosted: Mon April 17th, 2017, 21:36 GMT 

Good call on the poster above you said the next night was hot shit as well. Lingen is very strong as well...though doesn't have enough of the "it" that Hamburg offers...but it certainly has some magic. He's out of gas by the time he gets to dusseldorf...or he seems disinterested and his voice isn't nearly as strong and expressive... that is just one man's opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next