Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 08:01 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 17:37 GMT 

escapeedrifter wrote:
If blob can turn any of the covers on triplicate into the tour de force version of moonlight he performed in chicago 04, i would be very intrested 8)

Autumn Leaves. Close your eyes and pretend you're an existentialist mourning or celebrating hundreds of summarily executed collaborators.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 17:50 GMT 

Ok, i will try again steve. Is there anything in bobs vaults that you dont like?

Spirit on the water, moonlight from love and theft are not songs i would choose to listen to. Although i like both love and theft, and modern times, there are some songs i find slow and boring to be brunt about it.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 19:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

escapeedrifter wrote:
Ok, i will try again steve. Is there anything in bobs vaults that you dont like?

Spirit on the water, moonlight from love and theft are not songs i would choose to listen to. Although i like both love and theft, and modern times, there are some songs i find slow and boring to be brunt about it.

Actually I'm thinking long and hard and can't think of much. I pretty much like it all. I don't care for certain songs like You Wanna Ramble, but I love Maybe Someday, Under your Spell, and precious memories and of course Brownsville Girl.

I love Self Portrait, under the red sky and down in the groove. Even Dylan.

I don't spin the 60's stuff so often but I couldn't do without it. I see the good in everything.

With Triplicate, I'd spin bobs cover of Return to Me as well. If he does more of these, I'd like to hear more of that accordion.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 21:34 GMT 

Fair play to you, i also really like the stuff you mention. On the whole i was the same up until shadows. Its not a great feeling when the artist you follow so close moves in a direction you just dont get. Its not the end of the world, not in the way the gospel years would have seemed to fans at the time. Its just that some folks lucky enough to 'get it' seem to want to claim bob, as the evangelicals did in 79 :lol: from the nasty non believers 8)

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 22:08 GMT 

I tend to either like everything an artist creates, or I'm not particularly interested in anything an artist creates. That is the case with film directors, painters, novelists, and musicians.
Not to say I like every film by a director the same. There's an order from "best" to "worst." I'm just not one of those, "I like this period of Degas, but not this period of Degas" people.
When I don't rank a work, by an artist whose work I enjoy, very high it's almost always because of some circumstance involving other hands. For example I'm not all that keen on Kubrick's SPARTACUS, Lynch's DUNE, or Dylan's EMPIRE BURLESQUE. I suppose of all the creators I admire and enjoy John Huston is the most "hit and miss." However the hits and misses are spread out over his whole career so it's not like he lost it at some point.

PostPosted: Thu April 6th, 2017, 23:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

I feel for Bob the way Bob feels for Gregory Peck. I'll see him in anything, so I'll stand in line.

I'm on the train now. I've been listening to the album since I left my office at 6. There's just so much here, 30 tracks. Find the one that annoys you the least and start from there.

The ones that are on the Spotify sampler don't even touch the beauty of P.S. I Love You.

I don't care for Dune. Lynch doesn't either.

Kubrick was treated similarly with Spartacus. Kubrick actually played Eraserhead for the cast and crew of the shining to get them in the mood!

I love Empire Burlesque. Of course I do.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 00:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:
I know it's possible but I can't help but wonder why Dylan fans can't appreciate this stuff. I guess what it all boils down to is that Bob was cool. He was what all the cool kids listened to and Pat Boone was for squares.

Boils down to "cool?"
Nah. How about this? It's just downright boring.

I'm actually jealous of all you out there that love this phase. I want to.
I'm still really trying, but after wasting effort on the Xmas album & Fallen Shadows & portions of various shows over the past few years, I just can't bring myself to bother with Triplets.

And, yes, please throw Spirit, Bye & Moonlight and other show-momentum-killers into that same boring mix. I know, I know, "better lyrics," but such an excruciatingly tiring, monotonous delivery, IMHO, pains me.

Dammit, I want to love ALL Bob's music & phases, I really do.
But, gotta be honest with myself on this one. (Yawn...)
First-ever Dylan release I did not buy. Ouch.

Totally ready for the "next phase" if it comes around though!

goodnitesteve wrote:
I don't know how Braggin can be boring. I listen to that over and over again!

I don't know neither, but when I have to repeatedly hit the snooze alarm I know it's not resonating with me!

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 00:37 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:

There's a great album hidden in there. I just can't take the production. When the stripped down versions emerge from the vault it'll be a revelation.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 05:54 GMT 

songanddanceman wrote:
To answer the question, with a question.
Am I the only one who thinks these are being released as a simple way of fulfilling contractual obligations?

Is there any info backing that up? Does he still fight those battles? Surely he has enough power, and bad experience now, to avoid those pitfalls now? Or am I being naïve? And even if it' true, would the 3-disc count as three albums?

songanddanceman wrote:
JWH is currently on a loop.

JWH? Really? That's your pick? I genuinly cant decide which I dislike the most, Triplicate or JWH. But we're sidetracking hard.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 06:04 GMT 

patford wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

There's a great album hidden in there. I just can't take the production. When the stripped down versions emerge from the vault it'll be a revelation.

I just can't imagine a revelatory version of Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love).

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 06:09 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
If Dylan wrote these songs you'd probably have less to complain about.

That's probably very true, if he had recorded original songs in the style of the Great American Songbook I may have been a convert.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 06:55 GMT 

tomandshell wrote:
I just can't imagine a revelatory version of Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love).

Uuuuhm... Supper Club?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acFrGK1LkwA

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 07:17 GMT 

Amos wrote:
The lyrics is Spirit are much more interesting than these standards.

They're not, though. They are just different.

I like Spirit, but there are lyrics here that spring from a different well, one that is not Dylan's forte, and it's great to hear him bring his vocal talent to them. PS I Love You--Dylan, with all his gifts, doesn't tend to provide such beautiful vignettes of ordinary life, the everyday, underscored by the transcendence of romance. September of My Years is another absolutely gorgeous lyric. There are so many of them.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 10:24 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:
tomandshell wrote:

Uuuuhm... Supper Club?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acFrGK1LkwA

Triplicate over John wesley harding! Cmon now. I near spilled my tea there. Wonder which song jimi would have taken from triplicate and turned it into the anthem of the summer?

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 12:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

tomandshell wrote:
patford wrote:
[quote="goodnitesteve"]

I just can't imagine a revelatory version of Tight Connection to My Heart (Has Anybody Seen My Love).[/quote]

How about Someone's Got a Hold of My Heart? That's pretty revelatory.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 13:24 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

JWH? Really? That's your pick? I genuinly cant decide which I dislike the most, Triplicate or JWH. But we're sidetracking hard.

In that case you really ought to get back to AC/DC or something. If you're not interested in lyrics why do you bother with Dylan?

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 15:58 GMT 

monklover wrote:
Anr Bjotk wrote:

In that case you really ought to get back to AC/DC or something. If you're not interested in lyrics why do you bother with Dylan?

Woah, mister. Them's fightin' words!
How is not liking JWH about not liking lyrics? X does not equal Y, sir. What I love about Dylan is great lyrics, great music. JWH has pretty good words, but no good tunes, (man!). JWH is "meh". Nothing like HI61, BoB, or even Tempest, Modern Times, etc etc.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 16:17 GMT 

JWH is so much better than Tempest, and especially Modern Times, that they may as well reside on different planets.

PostPosted: Fri April 7th, 2017, 17:10 GMT 

I for one am greatly relieved that my earballs are attuned to the majesticness and grandiosity of that great album heretofore referred to by that interesting acronyminomical moniker of "JWH".

I hope, Mr. Bjotk, my good man, that your current opinion on the matter will later undergo a radical metamorphosis, and be, for lack of a better term, transfigurated. I think it's quite a nice album meself.

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 08:22 GMT 

There must be some way outta here.

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 08:28 GMT 

I can only tell those people who fear that Triplicate is as bad as SITN ans FA. It's not. It's worse. But it does give you the opportunity to tell other people that you 'get it'. Never mind the soporific arrangements and the quite stunningly bad singing, you ' get it' at a more rarefied level. And that feeling of smug satisfaction and self-congratulation has got to be worth a few pounds right?

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 09:53 GMT 

bobdylansbarber wrote:
I can only tell those people who fear that Triplicate is as bad as SITN ans FA. It's not. It's worse. But it does give you the opportunity to tell other people that you 'get it'. Never mind the soporific arrangements and the quite stunningly bad singing, you ' get it' at a more rarefied level.

And that feeling of smug satisfaction and self-congratulation has got to be worth a few pounds right?

Hang on, didn't you just say you bought the deluxe edition?!

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 10:01 GMT 

bobdylansbarber wrote:
I can only tell those people who fear that Triplicate is as bad as SITN ans FA. It's not. It's worse. But it does give you the opportunity to tell other people that you 'get it'. Never mind the soporific arrangements and the quite stunningly bad singing, you ' get it' at a more rarefied level. And that feeling of smug satisfaction and self-congratulation has got to be worth a few pounds right?

Personally, I want to thank Bob Dylan for Triplicate. He has freed up so much time for me to listen to other music and to make my own, instead of listening repeatedly to a new Bob Dylan album.

I find this level of altruism staggering.

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 12:07 GMT 

Anr Bjotk wrote:

Woah, mister. Them's fightin' words!
How is not liking JWH about not liking lyrics? X does not equal Y, sir. What I love about Dylan is great lyrics, great music. JWH has pretty good words, but no good tunes, (man!). JWH is "meh". Nothing like HI61, BoB, or even Tempest, Modern Times, etc etc.

No good tunes? Now, I thought I had a tin ear but I can hear them. I consider JWH as one of Bob's most refreshingly tuneful efforts. Maybe if you listen out for what are known as 'airs' they might come to you. Don't confuse tunes or airs with density of instrumentation or rhythm.

PostPosted: Sat April 8th, 2017, 12:44 GMT 

JWH is not only a good album. JWH is a masterpiece.

Triplicate isn't any of this things. Triplicate is an album of covers, just like Shadows and Fallen. Nothing to do with JWH or any other Dylan's masterpieces. MT is not one of the Dylan's masterpieces.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next