Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 13:06 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 16:23 GMT 

Hi all,

Over on The Dissolve, a film related website, they're having a sort of week long retrospective for Robert Altman's "Nashville" (1975). Today they've posted an interview with Ronee Blakley, about her experiences working with Altman, and her careers in film and music.

The whole thing's a really interesting read, and she's got some great Dylan stories, but I figured I'd just paste the most "WHOA" part, as it relates to a potential Rosen/Scorsese collaboration I hadn't heard of.

The Dissolve: Looking at the credits of Renaldo And Clara is pretty staggering: a screenplay by Sam Shepherd, Mick Ronson as a security guard, Dylan playing Renaldo, and Ronnie Hawkins playing Dylan… All this and Harry Dean Stanton, too?

Blakley: Isn’t it amazing? And I’m playing Mrs. Dylan! [Laughs.] It’s incredible, the names and the talent. I think we were all going half mad with joy.

The Dissolve: The bigger question, though, is if you had any idea what was going on when you were making it.

Blakley: That was a harder one, because it was… [Hesitates.] Have you seen it?

The Dissolve: Only bits and pieces. Someone uploaded the whole thing to YouTube a few years ago, but it’s since been taken down.

Blakley: Oh, I just wish you could see it. I love it. It’s vignettes. Vignettes tied in with the film, with an ongoing thread of Renaldo and Clara, who’s played by Sara Dylan. Helena Kallianiotes was also in it, and, of course, The Band. And it was a musical, in the sense that it cuts to songs. As you probably know if you’ve seen any of it, it’s filled with songs as well, and Bob was singing so great. He was so great at that time. A documentary is being made of it by Bob’s manager, and it’s said that [Martin] Scorsese is going to be pulling it together in the editing room.

So what do you guys think? I'm hadn't heard any whisperings, as Scorsese's got his plate full with "Silence" next, and then he's promised to make another film with De Niro, but if Blakley invokes Jeff Rosen in all but name, maybe it's credible...

Full interview here: http://thedissolve.com/features/interview/300-ronee-blakley-on-her-roads-to-and-from-nashville/

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 17:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Blech. Seems rather unnecessary.

Maybe Ronee Blakley needs some money to replace her moth eaten collection of Tunics.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 17:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

is there a date on that interview?

Strange that the reference is to Jeff Rosen working on it and then Scorsese doing the edit.... that sounds like she might be talking about No Direction Home....

Or is there a NDH2 in the works..... ? I doubt that, we are not that lucky..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 18:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

nakostopoulos wrote:
A documentary is being made of it by Bob’s manager, and it’s said that [Martin] Scorsese is going to be pulling it together in the editing room.[/i]

I wouldn't think of this as strange at all. There must be lots of live footage that's not in Renaldo & Clara, and with the next Bootleg Series covering the BOTT sessions and songs, there might be a link between the two projects. Also, any film release of the '75 leg of the RTR would / could be fantasic both visually and on the musical side.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 18:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think it may be a documentary about the whole mid-seventies period, or an even longer stretch of time, just as No Direction Home covered five key years. I think Rosen may have interviews covering lots of Dylan's career, and let's hope he's going to have them shaped into a releasable form as successfully as he did with NDH.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 18:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trev wrote:
I think it may be a documentary about the whole mid-seventies period, or an even longer stretch of time, just as No Direction Home covered five key years. I think Rosen may have interviews covering lots of Dylan's career, and let's hope he's going to have them shaped into a releasable form as successfully as he did with NDH.

1974 - '79 or '80 would make for a fantastic film, I think.
*dream*

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 18:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

Scorsese has "pulled things together in the past" when other filmmakers needed help tidying something up to make it releasable. I don't think that's the same thing as being the director or editor of a film. The most famous recent case of him stepping in to help another filmmaker was on Kenneth Lonergan's wonderful film "Margaret" - Scorsese reportedly helped to edit the film down by over two hours because the original version was far too long to be booked into theaters - it is now whittled down to 150 minutes. Scorsese and his own editor Thelma Schoonmaker are geniuses at this and Scorsese is very generous about helping other filmmakers. That being said, I kind of hope he isn't messing with this and is focusing on his own work....

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 18:41 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Blech. Seems rather unnecessary.

Maybe Ronee Blakley needs some money to replace her moth eaten collection of Tunics.

What a contemptuous little person you are.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 22:08 GMT 

Could be, if Bootleg Series 11 had Meet Me In the Morning this could be a 70s documentary. Or Another Self Portrait was Part 1.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 22:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I love Nashville and Robert Altman. I hope this is true.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 23:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

A year or so ago a pristine copy of R&C turned up on YouTube, prompting speculation that a DVD was in the works. Perhaps this could me a bonus feature for that release, rather than a lengthy stand-alone film like NDH.

PostPosted: Thu December 5th, 2013, 00:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

I posted this quite a while ago. If what Ronnie says is legitimate, I would think it would encompass that era, not just the film, Renaldo and Clara.

raging_glory wrote:

I was looking for something else, but found this article. The quote is from pg. 7

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/ar ... troduction

Punished or not, Bob shows no sign of letting up. In April there is an Australian tour, and work has begun on a follow-up to No Direction Home, this time dealing with the Rolling Thunder Revue tour. He's rumoured to be working on a movie soundtrack. Dylan is also committed to deliver two more volumes of Chronicles and four other books. In his spare time, he constructs metal sculptures using an arc welder.

PostPosted: Thu December 5th, 2013, 00:32 GMT 

There has been no word, not even a peep, about this from Scorsese or his camp when discussing his Currect/Future work/slate.

On the other hand, Marty would know better than any that you don't talk about the inner workings of a Bob project until they want you talking about it. And Marty would respect that.

I absolutely love "No Direction Home", so I would be ecstatic if this turns out to be true... As long as it does not interfere with him making his passion project "Silence". I've been waiting 10 years to see that film finally made(hopefully ultimately with Day-Lewis still in it as originally planned).

Ugh... This speculation now has me getting frighteningly excited, and it might not even be true... Ugh.

Ugh.

PostPosted: Thu December 5th, 2013, 21:13 GMT 

This is terrific news. I think there have been enough indications that it has been in the works for a while (American Master's executive producer Susan Lacy's indication 8 years ago that they are exploring a sequel, Roger McGuinn's indication that he was interviewed at one of the Greenwich Village club's a number of years ago for it, this tantalizing bit from Blakely) that it will come and that it is only a matter of time. However, I admit to really looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 10:35 GMT 

Douglas Brinkley seems to have confirmed this while speaking about his upcoming book (link from front page):

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/ent ... /98497824/

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 13:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

jwol16 wrote:
Douglas Brinkley seems to have confirmed this while speaking about his upcoming book (link from front page):

http://www.desertsun.com/story/life/ent ... /98497824/

Cool. Let's hope it's true.

Brinkley quote from the above article:
The main focus of my book is going to be built around Bob Dylan and the American road,” he said. “What is Dylan’s tradition as a troubadour? He did a tour for the nation’s bicentennial called the Rolling Thunder Revue, where Bob Dylan toured the country with Joan Baez and Alan Ginsberg, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, playwright Sam Shepard, T Bone Burnett and others. Martin Scorsese is doing a documentary right now on the Rolling Thunder Revue and I’ve been able to get copies of all of the interviews that have been done by the Scorsese team over the decades as a primary source for my book."

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 14:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Excellent.

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 15:15 GMT 

In an odd twist One of Dylan's recent paintings, Tourist Trap, is based on based on shot from Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

Scorsese should make a documentary about that. Visit Dylan at his studio; discuss his interest in film and his recent string of film-based paintings - that'd be a good movie.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRDsBXzgBIo/

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 15:40 GMT 

At last a bit of good news!

PostPosted: Tue February 28th, 2017, 21:07 GMT 

scottw wrote:
In an odd twist One of Dylan's recent paintings, Tourist Trap, is based on based on shot from Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.

Not the first time he's made reference to that film, either. During the Under The Red Sky sessions, he wrote a song with Don and David Was called "Mr. Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore," which was originally intended for Paula Abdul, but ultimately recorded by the "brothers"' band Was (Not Was) and belatedly released on their 2008 album Boo!.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 02:48 GMT 

A companion piece to No Direction Home, this is terrific news

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 02:50 GMT 

This is a long running story ... it could still be 10 years off.

PostPosted: Thu March 16th, 2017, 00:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

10 years goes ... just like that.

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 01:13 GMT 

bump..

Any updates on the RTR documentary that Martin Scorceses has been "supposedly" working on with Jeff Rosen? The only thing I could find were recent interviews being done with the performers involved.

PostPosted: Fri August 25th, 2017, 01:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

dylanswife wrote:
bump..

Any updates on the RTR documentary that Martin Scorceses has been "supposedly" working on with Jeff Rosen? The only thing I could find were recent interviews being done with the performers involved.

Wasn't it you, who started all this chatter, Ronee?