Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 18th, 2017, 06:29 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue January 24th, 2017, 22:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Well, that makes a lot of sense.

By request:

Do we really need to intellectualize this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03160 ... 0316006939

Like him or not, Rockwell used this method to create his paintings. The difference was that he was taking his own photos, not repainting someone other artists' work, uncredited. Bob isn't a genius for this.

(Fun story- I once hired the Chinese paint mills referenced by Scott W to paint my portrait. It resembles me, barely)

PostPosted: Tue January 24th, 2017, 22:33 GMT 

Harry Truman wrote:
Well, that makes a lot of sense.

Like him or not, Rockwell used this method to create his paintings. The difference was that he was taking his own photos, not repainting someone other artists' work, uncredited. Bob isn't a genius for this.

That's what I'm talking about. If you're gonna cheat and copy photos using a mirror device, at least take your own pictures! And if you steal the pictures, at least credit the photographer. And if you're gonna pass this stuff off as something real because you're famous, at least admit it!

Has Bob admitted that he copied photos? I'm not up to date with Bob Dylan, so I really don't know.

PostPosted: Tue January 24th, 2017, 22:50 GMT 

It's like talking to a wall. Or maybe a monkey. If I had a banana I'd give you one. If you choose to continue in your disillusionment then by all means. Don't buy the art if it hurts or angers you so much. Save your money for the books people publish full of make believe that fills their pocket at the cost of truth. Believe what you will despite all the posts to the contrary. It's a post truth world and it's all yours.

PostPosted: Tue January 24th, 2017, 23:00 GMT 

I guess Bob did many paintings in the past for his own, not thinking in letting people see it. Now they began to show them all and probably someone asked him "what was that?" and he couldn't really remember and simply guessed.

So probably these kind of paintings shouldn't be publicly shown, but someone wants to get something from it and that makes this things happen.

Just a theory.

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 12:55 GMT 

scottw wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
Has the Blackpool pier appeared in any films? Is there a site to look up film locations? I don't doubt him using that photo, but maybe it ties in with something else.
The pier is in a number of films. Hilda Fernhout, who found the Blackpool source photo, pointed out that it appears in Nowhere Boy, a biopic about John Lennon's teenage years. Hilda also pointed out Blackpool was where Dylan played "Roll On John" live for the first time.

https://soundcloud.com/cohenadmirer/bob ... -blackpool

Very fun! Thx for sharing Scott!

Googling around... thinking about connections u found of Bob and other Robert Zimmermans...
John Lennon Norfolk connection...
http://m.legacy.com/obituaries/pilotonl ... view=false

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 16:44 GMT 

This thread has became so interesting, the photos/paintings as examples are great, and scott too, thanks to all.
Good to see the title was changed and order restored, thats why hERe is the best forum around.

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 18:36 GMT 

scottw wrote:
Artist/writer Greg Allen has an interesting take on it.

I guess you're talking about this article.
If this is true... well, this might still show Bob as an artist, but not a as a painter. I'm not sure if he'd be closer to a "performance artist" or a "bullshit artist". :?

By the way, after discovering that Bob copied lyrics, written paragraphs, CD covers and paintings from other people's work... do we know who inspired his gate-welding? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 20:14 GMT 

Gates are so last year, i hear hes bidding on a contract to build a wall :shock:

The only question i have is..... Why name it blackpool, when its not?

PostPosted: Wed January 25th, 2017, 20:20 GMT 

:roll: I'm waiting for some genius to claim that Dylan made an octopus out of a bike chain for the entryway gate but didn't credit Schwinn. Oh dear.

Post subject: From Blackpool to Berlin
PostPosted: Thu January 26th, 2017, 11:36 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
I guess Bob did many paintings in the past for his own, not thinking in letting people see it. Now they began to show them all and probably someone asked him "what was that?" and he couldn't really remember and simply guessed.

So probably these kind of paintings shouldn't be publicly shown, but someone wants to get something from it and that makes this things happen.

Just a theory.

I don't know that your theory holds up when you consider the painting of the Brooklyn Bridge titled Morning in Pittsburgh, or the painting of the Manhattan Bridge titled Pittsburgh at Dawn. No New Yorker forgets what the Brooklyn Bridge is. It's an iconic landmark.

A spokesperson for the Halcyon Gallery told The Telegraph: "There is no attempt on behalf of the artist to name the scenes accurately. While the essence of the exhibition is a journey through America, the compositions of the paintings are based on a wide variety of sources including archival and historic images."

It turns out that the journey through America takes us to Germany, as the subject of the Abandoned Railroad Track paintings in The Beaten Path is a train station in Berlin. https://twitter.com/scottwarmuth1/statu ... 4263724040

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu January 26th, 2017, 12:02 GMT 

my precious time wrote:
I guess you're talking about this article.
If this is true... well, this might still show Bob as an artist, but not a as a painter. I'm not sure if he'd be closer to a "performance artist" or a "bullshit artist". :?

Yes, that's that's the article I was referring to. Other articles to consider:

BOB DYLAN’S “ART” IS A RICHARD PRINCE PRANK (from 2012)
http://animalnewyork.com/2012/bob-dylan-richard-prince/

BOB DYLAN PAINTED THIS NUDE PORTRAIT IN CENTRAL PARK YESTERDAY WITH RICHARD PRINCE (from 2013)
http://animalnewyork.com/2013/bob-dylan ... rd-prince/

THIS IS A SOURCE PHOTO FOR BOB DYLAN’S ALLEGED NUDE PAINTING FROM CENTRAL PARK, LULZ (from 2013)
http://animalnewyork.com/2013/this-is-a ... park-lulz/

rimbaud wrote:
AndoDoug wrote:
Are you referring to the idea that he farmed out the stuff he wanted painted to Chinese paint-laborers?

:lol:

I really am starting to doubt ScottW's sanity.

I didn't write these articles. I didn't propose these theories. I suggest that if we want to consider Dylan's art then reading criticism of his work from the art world is apropos.

The catalog for The Beaten Path has quotes from Sally Bayley's Home on the Horizon, America’s Search for Space: from Emily Dickinson to Bob Dylan. I think this book is essential for a better understanding of the themes of The Beaten Path.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed February 8th, 2017, 13:42 GMT 

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=starl ... 66&bih=658[url][/url]

Here's what Bob would have seen from his hotel room while he was in Blackpool.

PostPosted: Tue February 14th, 2017, 11:19 GMT 

So, Warmuth's got a list of movie sources for the Beaten Path up on his twitter:
https://twitter.com/scottwarmuth1/status/828332409309376512

Can't sort out how to copy the titles in here. But, it's a good list.

PostPosted: Wed March 8th, 2017, 00:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sweetheart68 wrote:
:roll: I'm waiting for some genius to claim that Dylan made an octopus out of a bike chain for the entryway gate but didn't credit Schwinn. Oh dear.

that is true I have read about it :lol: