Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 23:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun March 13th, 2016, 19:36 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Is Bob's "aunt Etta" in Chronicles a real person?

R&B legend Etta James, doo-wop, blues and pop singer, discovered by Johnny Otis, Chess Records recording artist, played by Beyonce in "Cadillac Records." Most famous for her masterpiece "At Last."

Several years ago I visited her grave in Inglewood, California, where she is buried near one of my relatives.

Etta James performing with Bob at the club at the Providence R.I. Marriott, July 10, 1986:

http://www.needsomefun.net/bob-dylan-et ... y-10-1986/

PostPosted: Sun March 13th, 2016, 20:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

He says she was his mother's sister, so an actual aunt, non just given that title.

PostPosted: Mon March 14th, 2016, 14:26 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
He says she was his mother's sister, so an actual aunt, non just given that title.

He says she was his mother's sister and you're asking here if she's a real person????

PostPosted: Mon March 14th, 2016, 15:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

blackrayne wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

He says she was his mother's sister and you're asking here if she's a real person????

Sure, because that book's rather strong on the site of fantasy. I couldn't find any data for Etta Stone, and obviously have no idea what her married name might have been... if she's even real.

PostPosted: Mon March 14th, 2016, 16:42 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
[quote=blackrayne"]

Sure, because that book's rather strong on the site of fantasy. I couldn't find any data for Etta Stone, and obviously have no idea what her married name might have been... if she's even real.[/quote]

Her parents were Lithuanian Jews who immigrated here - purportedly in 1902 - from a Turkish Armenian border area, likely speaking no English, among millions who passed through Ellis Island that year to settle in New York City or board a rail car to God-knows-where. That's what people did in those days. Their names were likely changed at Ellis Island to something "Americanized' - there is almost zero likelihood their original name was "Stone" - it may have been changed once they were in America to make it 'easier' for them - by them or by someone who hired them or enrolled them in school.

A record of her might be found in bat mitzvah or marriage records with her local synagogue but you'd have to know her name and the city she lived in as a child or at time of marriage. Even with that, many synagogues do not have records that old - and she may not have had a bat mitzvah and possibly never married. If she lived in Duluth, there might be records for her at Temple Israel, which merged Temple Israel (founded 1891 as a Reform temple by German Jews) and Tifereth Israel (founded 1893 by Eastern European Jews). There's also Adas Israel (formed in the 1890s by Lithuanian Jews - which is Orthodox).

Weird as 'Chronicles' is, I think Dylan fabricating a maternal aunt and giving her a made-up name would be so disrespectful of his family that Bob Dylan would never do such a thing.

PostPosted: Mon March 14th, 2016, 18:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

His mother's family name was Edelstein, that's no secret knowledge at all, and it's this name that was Americanized to Stone.

Since his mother Beatrice was known as Beatty mostly, chances are that Etta, too, was a nickname derived from a longer given name. I suppose it might be Harriett Rutstein, the aunt who gave Bob and David Zimmerman piano lessons?

PostPosted: Mon July 11th, 2016, 09:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Joe Hill was a Swedish immigrant who fought in the Mexican War. He had led a bare and meager life, was a union organizer out West about 1910, a Messianic figure who wanted to abolish the wage system of capitalism – a mechanic, musician and poet.
(Chronicles Vol.1, p.52)

“Because Joe Hill, a union organizer and messianic figure —he was a Swedish immigrant who wanted to abolish the wage system of capitalism —was treated badly there. In his final hour, he said 'Scatter my ashes anywhere but Utah.'”
(Laura Warholic: Or, The Sexual Intellectual, Alexander Theroux, 2007)

Who's copying whom here? Could Dylan have read a pre-publication manuscript, or did Theroux study Chronicles? Or do both go back to a third source?

PostPosted: Thu July 14th, 2016, 13:14 GMT 

I think that both using an earlier source is likely. Dylan is likely using two sources in the passage that you quoted, one of them being Jack London. The peculiar phrase "a bare and meager life" is one worth your attention. Also look for "a bare and meagre life" as that spelling was used in many edition's of London's work.

This passage appears on page 52 in Chronicles: Volume One. Dylan also uses bits from London on pages 44, 48, 49, 54, 56, and 58.

PostPosted: Thu July 14th, 2016, 19:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

He uses London all over the place, which is why the other bit is way more interesting.

PostPosted: Sun November 6th, 2016, 03:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Came across this in Chronicles the other day and was reminded how I appreciate Dylan's sense of humor.

Chronicles, p.135
Porter Wagoner's place is up that street.” I'd lean back in the big leather cushioned seat, [...]

The Porter [short story], Ernest Hemingway, pub. 1987
The n*gger porter was asleep in one corner of the leather cushioned seat.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2016, 12:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Re. Jack London, on whose work Dylan draws a lot in Chronicles, some here might be interested in watching the portrait on the French / German arte channel tonight at 8.15 pm.
http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/064438-000-A/jack-london-ein-amerikanisches-original

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2016, 17:16 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Re. Jack London, on whose work Dylan draws a lot in Chronicles, some here might be interested in watching the portrait on the French / German arte channel tonight at 8.15 pm.
http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/064438-000-A/jack-london-ein-amerikanisches-original

Thank you Johanna. I gonna watch it.

PostPosted: Sat December 3rd, 2016, 17:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

I just stumbled on a piece about Jack London's ranch in California. It burned down just after he built it, and he died at a very early age from excessive drinking. Another example of the deadly effects of the popular hard drug alcohol. Same thing with Jack Kerouac. Here's the ranch, or what's left of it, a park now -

http://jacklondonpark.com/jack-london-beauty-ranch.html

PostPosted: Sat January 14th, 2017, 12:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Quote:
First volume of Dylan's memoirs, this copy from the library of Israel "Izzy" Young," founder and owner of the Folklore Center in Greenwich Village, who gave refuge to a young Bob Dylan when he first came to New York in 1961, and who produced Dylan's first concert there. In Chronicles, Dylan remembers him affectionately on pp.18-22. Extensively annotated throughout by Young, with more than 190 pages annotated and/or with reader's marks by him, providing commentary on Dylan's own observations and other memories of Dylan during his early days in Greenwich Village. This copy bears the following note beneath the first chapter heading: "26 October 2004. This book consists of five parts. I'll read it in five days, not necessarily in order, perhaps in two weeks time - this is my personal copy - with my first thoughts as I read page by page and chapter by chapter. Izzy Young." An additional note in Young's hand on the rear flyleaf states: "October 2004 from Bob Dylan's office." Attempting to weigh the quality of Young's annotations, when read alongside Dylan's words, the reader encounters "a book-within-a-book," the narrative of which vacillates between agreeing and being at odds with Dylan. Facts, dates, corrections, and memories emerge - some clear, others non-linear - all of which serve to provide a unique historical perspective on Dylan and his times from a close friend and insider.

Pasted in at the back of the book is Izzy's computer-generated liner notes to the reissue of Karen Dalton's 1968 LP - Karen a blues singer and guitarist whom Dylan had met and performed with in Denver the summer of 1960 (as described in Chronicles on p. 12). Young's annotations end with a 17-line, 160-word note about Karen Dalton, and his upcoming visit to Seattle to see Dylan and Jeff Rosen [Dylan's lawyer]: "Karen Dalton is not noticed in any of the Dylan biographies, and neither is she named in the scholarly books on folk music. So we [i.e. Dylan and Izzy] are agreed on her and we are alone in this matter. Bob Dylan was sent a copy of the article by Jeff Rosen ... I have no insight as to what will happen there [in Seattle] ... There will be many surprises for me, I am sure of that..."

Also pasted in at the back is a printed email dated April 7, 2005 from Sam Charters asking Izzy to annotate a copy of Dylan's Chronicles for the Charters Music Archive in Storrs, CT: "The reason I ask you to do this annotated edition for the Archive is that I believe you have a unique contribution to make to our understanding of an important era in the development of American popular culture. Because of the close involvement that you and Dylan had ... I feel your annotated copy of the book will be of considerable use to scholars..."

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Bob-Dylan-CHRONICLES-VOL-1-1ST-ED-IZZY-YOUNGS-EXTENSIVELY-ANNOTATED-COPY-NF-/222377234868?hash=item33c6b751b4:g:4L0AAOSwa~BYeWG~

PostPosted: Sun January 15th, 2017, 16:41 GMT 

Be nice if the OK archives purchased this.

PostPosted: Wed November 1st, 2017, 14:00 GMT 

"...meeting all the performers who had recorded my songs-"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6