Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu June 21st, 2018, 18:01 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 14:56 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm a bit wary of sharing this because I'm a bit embarrassed about how weedy my 80 piece Dylan collection is going to look to most of you. On the other hand if this gets a ball rolling, it's going to make for an interesting way to compare.
A slight word of warning about 10 of the releases listed. They are on the list but just to help me remember what got stolen from the back of my car in 1991; the thief at least had good taste.

Check out my record collection:
https://www.discogs.com/user/jimmerparkin/collection
Shared from the Discogs app

EDIT: Sorry, it looks like you can't share just one folder, so to get to the Dylan stuff you'll need to select the 'Dylan' folder.

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 15:23 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Impressive!
Congratulations to your good taste.
A huge amount from your list can be found in mine as well.
Happy New Year, Jim!

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 16:14 GMT 

One cannot select a folder in someone else's collection.

I browsed through your whole collection, lots of things I too have.
I have less Dylan bootlegs, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, R.E.M. (but not so far, and I have them only once),
no Abba nor Fairport Convention, Incredible String Band, Jayhawks (should I try?), Jeff Buckley, ...
same number of The Band or Springsteen, but not the same ones,
more Creedence, Chuck Berry, Leonard Cohen, Pretenders, Lou Reed, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Woody Guthrie.
And you don't have any Clash nor Rolling Stones! (How can somebody live with 804 releases and nothing from the Rolling Stones? :shock: )

We might try to isolate the non-Dylan records that can be found in all ER+Discogs users, there might be quite a few.

Here's mine: https://www.discogs.com/user/JeffreyLee ... collection
I should enter my DVDs, I got quite a few. In fact, I know why I still did not: the database guidelines do not accept Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid nor Masked And Anonymous which I consider being part of my musical DVD collection :D

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 20:02 GMT 
Mercury Member

Thanks Jeffrey. I would say we have been drawn to very many of the same artists, for you the Stones play a big role for me it was the 60s & 70s singer-songwriter genre. Maybe I've simply done with the 60s and 70s now and to go back through Stones back catalogue to overcome my prejudice about certain band members is something for another lifetime, I'll always have much more classical music on rotation than classic rock that's for sure.
You have really great taste in blues (we share 'Blues Jam in Chicago') I haven't been able to get through all of the collection yet. I have my collection arranged by artist so I'm not used to browsing by album title and you have a lot of titles and taste

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

https://www.discogs.com/user/Dan33185/collection?page=1&sort=artist%2Casc&folder=0&limit=25&search=Dylan&sort_order=

PostPosted: Sun January 1st, 2017, 22:48 GMT 
Mercury Member

^ You have left no American stone unturned. The rest of the world can collect their music, you collect yours.

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 17:59 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
I have my collection arranged by artist so I'm not used to browsing by album title and you have a lot of titles and taste

You can change the sorting through clicking on the column headers. Example: sort by Added, and you will find the three new records I had for Christmas...

@Dan33185: impressive Sinatra collection. I suppose you're just really happy with Dylan's two latest albums.

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 18:33 GMT 
Promethium Member

leavinclaud wrote:

Why in heck are you looking for a Joni Mitchell cassette? :shock:
Too tired to browse collection now - Nick Drake much?

A few days ago, I went vinyl shopping in Hamburg. Good pickings.

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 21:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

My want list is not what it seems. These are nearest approximations to missing releases in the database I intend to add later. Putting these 'Platzhalter' in my want list is the logical solution. The Joni cassette in the DB is missing artwork and I can upload an image from my cassette copy.
I've got about halfway through entering my collection and as I hardly had any Nick stuff in my collection until 2010 that will all come later.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 05:04 GMT 

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
leavinclaud wrote:
I have my collection arranged by artist so I'm not used to browsing by album title and you have a lot of titles and taste

You can change the sorting through clicking on the column headers. Example: sort by Added, and you will find the three new records I had for Christmas...

@Dan33185: impressive Sinatra collection. I suppose you're just really happy with Dylan's two latest albums.

I'm always looking for any Sinatra I don't have, kind of an obsession at this point. I've enjoyed the last 2 albums, definitely, but at this point, I'm happy with anything Dylan does at age 75, you just never know unfortunately and I never take his work for granted.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 05:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
Ah. Yes, I noticed their DB is less than complete. Anyway, let us know once it's up to date with Nick etc.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 08:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I've been trying to catalogue my collection, do you guys recommend this site?
I started listing it in Excel, but it's a whole lot of typing.

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 09:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

I can recommend it for the popular music section of any collection; it seems contributors have usually had enough time / patience to enter sufficient relevant information.
This issue is significantly more difficult with classical releases, which means a 99% hit rate for Dylan official releases, for instance, drops to 50% for classical repertory and 30-45% in opera. Just in case that's what you're looking for

PostPosted: Tue January 3rd, 2017, 12:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's good to keep an overview (which means I should start using it on my phone when browsing record stores, since it's getting harder to remember and I just accidentally bought something last week that I already had).

PostPosted: Fri January 6th, 2017, 23:39 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I just spent a couple of days adding my collection to Discogs.
It took a lot of time finding the correct releases I've got,
still I have a long list of CDs and a few LP's which are missing on the site, but I'll add them later.

So here's my collection,
https://www.discogs.com/user/sirdogg/collection

I have a lot of vinyls I've never listened to, but that I just got from friends and family.
i.e. all the gospel and religious records... "The 2nd Chapter Of Acts"... never even heard of them before!

PostPosted: Sat January 7th, 2017, 00:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
Half-speed master BOTT Image

PostPosted: Sat January 7th, 2017, 01:16 GMT 
Mercury Member

Update of my collection

PostPosted: Sat January 7th, 2017, 16:46 GMT 

SirDogg wrote:

Your collection says where you come from better than your ER profile.

Purchase advises:
- Pretty neat to only have the 3 studio albums released while Hendrix was alive. But you should consider The Cry Of Love LP. Sounds to me like the fourth album he could have released. At least that's the one he was recording when he died,
- The first John Fogerty "old shep" solo album is a must have for somebody like you,
- The Waterboys' "Fisherman's Blues" also, provided that you like Desire

And from my side, I should consider that 50CD Complete Elvis you have ! Did not know that kind of thing exists.
Funny: you have a Tweedle Dee Tweedle Dum by Elvis, I must try to hear that.

PostPosted: Sun January 8th, 2017, 07:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
SirDogg wrote:

Purchase advises:
- Pretty neat to only have the 3 studio albums released while Hendrix was alive. But you should consider The Cry Of Love LP. Sounds to me like the fourth album he could have released. At least that's the one he was recording when he died,
- The first John Fogerty "old shep" solo album is a must have for somebody like you,
- The Waterboys' "Fisherman's Blues" also, provided that you like Desire

And from my side, I should consider that 50CD Complete Elvis you have ! Did not know that kind of thing exists.
Funny: you have a Tweedle Dee Tweedle Dum by Elvis, I must try to hear that.

I'm not that into Jimi, but I'll check out that record.
I've heard all of Fogerty's records, I just haven't bought them all yet.
Also heard Fisherman's Blues, just don't have it.

That Elvis record with "Tweedle Dee" was my first CD ever,
I got it from my grandma on my birthday when I was only 10 years old.
Made me fall in love with music and with Elvis' music.
Elvis is the artist I've been a fan of for the longest.
The 50CD collection is also one of my earliest purchases.

PostPosted: Sun January 8th, 2017, 12:17 GMT 

My very first Elvis was a 3 LP set https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-E ... se/3434623
Had it on Christmas 1977. I was 11. I had first heard there was a "king of rock'n'roll" on the radio when he died that summer before.
It was replaced one year later with the 7 LP set https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-1 ... se/3435263 which I still have. The first 3 records were the same as the 3 LP set, so I gave it to a friend.

At some point, I sold a few other records I had in order to buy a few Genesis. I hardly remember which ones that was. There was the 50,000,000 Elvis fan cannot be wrong LP that I now regret...

PostPosted: Sun January 8th, 2017, 17:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

JeffreyLeePierre wrote:
SirDogg wrote:

Purchase advises:

I loved Cry of love and got the rereleased First rays of the rising Sun and in that context the cry of love songs seemed to shrink in stature. My original CD was amoung the 100 releases stolen from my car one fateful night in Southampton
The cassette releases of Are you...? and Axis were pinched too
Btw I've managed to recall 80 of these from memory and put them in my discogs collection for old time's sake

PostPosted: Mon January 9th, 2017, 14:13 GMT 

A lot of great collections here!

Here's mine: https://www.discogs.com/user/jwroblewski/collection

PostPosted: Mon February 20th, 2017, 23:59 GMT 

Finally got around to adding my collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/positively ... collection

Pulling the trigger soon on bootleg vol 6 and the mono box set, from there the Dylan album collection will be a few odds and ends away from complete.

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 12:02 GMT 

So, it's taken me about a year... but I'm finally finished (I think, at least for now) adding my collection to Discogs. I have to say I love it, it's a great app and particularly useful when record-shopping....

Anyway, here it is, for better and worse. Apparently, I like jazz.

https://www.discogs.com/user/ScriptSimon/collection

PostPosted: Tue January 9th, 2018, 12:44 GMT 

leavinclaud wrote:
I'm a bit wary of sharing this because I'm a bit embarrassed about how weedy my 80 piece Dylan collection is going to look to most of you. On the other hand if this gets a ball rolling, it's going to make for an interesting way to compare.
A slight word of warning about 10 of the releases listed. They are on the list but just to help me remember what got stolen from the back of my car in 1991; the thief at least had good taste.

EDIT: Sorry, it looks like you can't share just one folder, so to get to the Dylan stuff you'll need to select the 'Dylan' folder.
Nice valuation on the 50th Anniversary releases!