Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed December 13th, 2017, 20:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 21:44 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Nobel Shows

EUROPA - Spring 2017

Bob Dylan and His Band

Stockholm, Sweden
Stockholm Waterfront Auditorium
1 & 2 April 2017, Saturday & Sunday

Capacity: 3,000
Showtime: 7:30 pm

These are the 1st & 2nd shows of the 2017 Never Ending Tour

Nobel duty. A couple of concerts and, cha-ching, requirement$ met.

---

Bob Dylan Quiz About Nobel Prize

Stockholm, SWEDEN, USA – there are 9 questions to complete. Once you are finished, click the button. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.

Question 1
Which date Swedish Academy Announced that "Nobel Prize in Literature goes to Bob Dylan" ?
A
13 October 2016.
B
15 October 2016.
C
15 October 2016.
D
12 October 2016.

Question 2
What Patti Smith Said about forgetting Bob Dylan lyrics during Nobel tribute?
A
She said "I'm so Nervous"
B
She said "I'm so Sorry"
C
She Didn't Forget
D
She said "I'm so Excited"

Question 3
Who Said This "Congratulations to one of my favorite poets, Bob Dylan, on a well-deserved Nobel"?
A
Ringo Starr
B
Stephen King
C
Barrack Obama
D
Al Gore

Question 4
Who Said This "Bob Dylan winning Nobel is like "pinning a medal on Mount Everest for being the highest mountain"
A
Neil Young
B
Barrack Obama
C
Joan Baez
D
Leonard Cohen

Question 5
Bob Dylan was the first musician to win the Nobel literature award in the academy's .........-year history
A
B
C
D
E

Question 6
Announcement of the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature to Bob Dylan, presented by ..............?
A
Bertha Kinsky
B
Sarah Deniles
C
Sara Danius
D
Geir Lundestad

Question 7
A member of the Swedish Academy that awarded the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature to Bob Dylan says the American singer-songwriter's silence since receiving the honor is ..........?
A
" mysterious and impolite"
B
"impolite and rude."
C
"impolite and arrogant."
D
unexpected

Question 8
Who Honored Bob Dylan at Nobel Ceremony by singing his 1963 classic song ?
A
Joan Baez
B
Patti Smith
C
Neil Young
D
Tom Petty

Question 9
The Nobel Prize in Literature 2016 was awarded to Bob Dylan for?
A
"for having created new poetic expressions within the great American folk tradition".
B
"for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition"
C
"for having created new poetic expressions within the Universal song tradition"
D
"for having created new poetic expressions within the great American folk song tradition".

http://www.needsomefun.net/bob-dylan-quiz-about-nobel-prize/

---

Storytelling has changed, and the Nobel has noticed

Posted By: AfriNews: December 23, 2016
By NG’ANG’A MBUGUA

The Nobel Prize committee appears to be ahead of the curve when it comes to appreciating that the way in which the world has been telling stories is changing. Indeed, its decisions have caused more consternation than elation in recent years, with its departure from expectation this year being the most dramatic, when it honored a folk musician, Bob Dylan, with the most coveted literary prize.

When it unveiled him as this year’s nominee, the committee said it had settled on Dylan “for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition”.

Last year, the award went to another unlikely candidate, Svetlana Alexandrovna Alexievich, a Belarusian investigative journalist and non-fiction prose writer. Svetlana was chosen, in part, because she interviews people affected by major events, such as the Chernobyl disaster and the Second World War. Though her stories are true, Svetlana masks the identities of her subjects — many of them women — to allow their stories to come through.

Svetlana’s reputation is that she is a chronicler of oral histories. When the Nobel Committee awarded her, it was “for her polyphonic writings, a monument to suffering and courage in our time”.

And like other winners of recent times — including Bob Dylan — Svetlana has addressed herself to the effects of the Second World War on Europe.

In terms of themes, the way writers have tackled the question of the war, which is still a major point of interest and reference in European scholarship, political and social-cultural debates, has played an increasing large role in influencing the choice of nominees.

For instance, when Frenchman Patrick Modiano won the prize in 2014, he was recognised “for the art of memory with which he has evoked the most ungraspable human destinies and uncovered the life-world of the Occupation.” The Occupation here, of course, refers to the German occupation of parts of Europe during the Second World War.

Although Modiano is known more for his films, he is also a novelist in his own right. Similarly, Svetlana is better known for her investigate journalism. And although she has not written fiction, she is a published author in the sense that the testimonies of her subjects have been compiled into books.

Bob Dylan, too, is a die-hard literateur in his own right, having published a novel, Tarantula, in 1971, and his memoirs, Chronicles Volume 1 in 2004.

Here is how he remembers the war: “I was born in the spring of 1941. The Second World War was already raging in Europe, and America would soon be in it. The world was being blown apart and chaos was already driving its fist into the face of all new visitors. If you were born around this time or were living and alive, you could feel the old world go and the new one beginning.”

In one of his songs, ‘With God on Our Side’, he takes a critical look at war, and at the folly of combatants believing that God is on their side. He even takes a swipe at World War Two Germany and its policy of extermination.

“Now the Germans, too, have God on their side,” he says in the song and for good measure, challenges his audience to ponder whether God was on the side of Judas Iscariot when he betrayed Jesus with a kiss.

In 2013, the Nobel Prize winner was Alice Munro, a Canadian short story writer that the Nobel Committee described as the “master of the contemporary short story”. She, too, like other recent winners of the Nobel, has tackled the question of the Second World War.

According to Internet sources, her story, Dear Life, examines how the war affected individuals by influencing what happened to them and the choices they made as a result.

“Memory,” she once said, “is the way we keep telling ourselves our stories — and telling other people a somewhat different version of our stories.”

What is the point of the foregoing? Two observations, basically.

The first is that the authors who have won the Nobel award in recent years are not from the traditional stable.

This is what is flummoxing literary purists all over the world. However, the bigger lesson here is that, as Bob Dylan himself would say, “the times are a-changing” and the way we tell our stories is morphing as a result.

First we had a short story writer, next we had a film-maker, then we had a journalist and now we have a folk singer. All of them had long-running affairs with literature as readers and as writers. All of them were committed to becoming the best in their respective crafts. Indeed, as Bob Dylan says in ‘A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall’, “I know my song well before I sing it”. All the laureates were master artists without a doubt.

The Second World War has largely influenced all the recent choices for laureates, pointing, probably, to the need for the world to ask itself hard questions about the conflicts raging all around the globe and the humanitarian crises that they have caused even in Europe itself, which is now grappling with how to accommodate refugees from the troubled Middle East.

“If God is on our side,” as Bob Dylan says, “he will stop the next war”.

http://www.latestafricanews.com/latest-update/2016/12/storytelling-has-changed-and-the-nobel-has-noticed/

===

PURPOSE of the 'Live Set List' threads:
This is a spot to discuss & share your thoughts, perspectives & feelings surrounding the shows...
...before, during and after...whether you attend or not.
We especially love to hear the thoughts of those going, those there or simply reflecting on whatever was.
As many folks know, it's not just about the Set List!
Most of us don't attend every show, in person. Yet we're interested. We go when we can.
We anticipate & relate to the energy of each other's experiences. The whole gamut.
We love eyes in the field and feet on the ground. No pressure, no requirements. We understand.
Feel free to share your observations or post your links to any related text, audio, and video.
Above all, have fun!

PostPosted: Sat December 24th, 2016, 22:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bob's "Gift That Keeps On Giving" ... The Never Ending Tour!

Thanks for Keeping On Bob! We look forward to a fabulous 2017!

PostPosted: Mon January 2nd, 2017, 00:49 GMT 

Looking at my credit card statement, I wouldn't call it a gift, but yeah, here's to an interesting Bob 2017.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 01:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

So assuming one or both of these are the Nobel-commitment concerts...
...it's difficult to believe Bob would do a basketful of covers.
Then again, it's Bob.

Maybe the 'true' Nobel show is ahead of these?

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 02:01 GMT 

I wondered when we would get this one. Hoping the Laureate puts on a unique and interesting show for this.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 12:04 GMT 

I fell asleep just thinking of how many Triplicate tracks would be in this show...

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 12:34 GMT 

I am tempted to post gif after gif after gif ... but I really think that Bobby is an avid ER member scrutinizing everything we write (wish) and that he needs yet another adrenaline dose in his life by means of a direct clash with his fans and the "booooooo" to be recorded for the upcoming live 5 CD Box set of covers with a bonus disc of yet unissued cover songs.

I really think that the man loves that ...

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 12:42 GMT 

kuddukan wrote:
I fell asleep just thinking of how many Triplicate tracks would be in this show...

If last year is any indication of what we can expect to hear in Stockholm, there probably won't be that many of these new tracks added to the mix.

Either way, I'm looking forward to April 1. 8) I trust the show will be just as good as the shows I saw in the last European tour.

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 14:34 GMT 

Stockholm Setlist for both gigs:

1.Things Have Changed (Wonderboys soundtrack, 2000)
2.She Belongs To Me (BIABH, 1965)
3.Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (TTL, 2009)
4.Here's That Rainy Day (Devil Dolls)
5.Once Upon A Time ('Til The Sun Goes Down)
6.Melancholy Mood (Fallen Angels)
7.That Old Black Magic (Fallen Angels)
8.Somewhere Along The Way (Comin' Home Late)
9.Tangled Up In Blue (BOTT, 1975)

10.High Water (For Charley Patton) (Love & Theft, 2001)
11.Why Try To Change Me Now? (Shadows In The Night)
12.Early Roman Kings (Tempest, 2012)
13.As Time Goes By (Devil Dolls)
14.Spirit On The Water (Modern Times, 2006)
15.I Cold Have Told You ('Til The Sun Goes Down)
16.When The World Was Young (Comin' Home Late)
17.Love Sick (TOOM, 1997)

18.Blowin' In The Wind (The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, 1962)
19.Stay With Me (Shadows In The Night)

PostPosted: Tue January 31st, 2017, 18:12 GMT 
Titanium Member

Quote:
1 April - Stockholm, Waterfront
Viktor123, SirDogg, Soylent Green Preservation Society, ingate94, Magnolia, Tambach, sunset

2 April - Stockholm, Waterfront
Viktor123, SirDogg, Soylent Green Preservation Society, Helge, Tambach, sunset

ER has quite a showing for these two!

PostPosted: Tue February 7th, 2017, 23:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

Maybe we'll find something out tomorrow.
Perhaps we will get a Nobel show added in front of these?

PostPosted: Wed February 15th, 2017, 10:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Will it be a total 'Triplets' Set List?

...or will he drag these in slowly over the next three years?

PostPosted: Thu February 16th, 2017, 13:34 GMT 

I wouldn't be surprised if the only Triplicate tracks that will make it into the show are the ones they already played last year.

PostPosted: Thu March 2nd, 2017, 21:03 GMT 

Less than a month, excited!

PostPosted: Sat March 4th, 2017, 04:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wow. Times flies. It seemed so far away...better start getting my taxes rounded up!

PostPosted: Sat March 11th, 2017, 05:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I said this somewhere else, but should say it here too:

Tony, Charlie & George must be getting paid very handsomely to be able to put up with this.

PostPosted: Sat March 11th, 2017, 23:54 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Tony, Charlie & George must be getting paid very handsomely to be able to put up with this.

Or at least more than they think they would make elsewhere.

Also, they should totally get double the money every time they're required to wear questionable outfits. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon March 13th, 2017, 17:45 GMT 
Senior Moderator

19 days! :D

I'll report the setlist, if it's possible.

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 13:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks Dogg.
As you very well know, that is MUCH appreciated.
You must be getting psyched up...since it's, like, less than a week away!

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 18:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'll admit I'm excited to see this setlist roll in.

PostPosted: Sun March 26th, 2017, 23:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
Looking at my credit card statement, I wouldn't call it a gift, but yeah, here's to an interesting Bob 2017.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue March 28th, 2017, 21:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hello and cheers to a new touring week! Very excited to be excited about something

Bring on the undertermined, great unknown.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 17:16 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:

... and with "great unknown" you mean the exact number of Sinatra covers, I assume?

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 17:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

Wait it looks like Bob may be meeting with the Nobel people this weekend after all

https://akademibloggen.wordpress.com

The good news is that the Swedish Academy and Bob Dylan have decided to meet this weekend. The Academy will then hand over Dylan’s Nobel diploma and the Nobel medal, and congratulate him on the Nobel Prize in Literature. The setting will be small and intimate, and no media will be present; only Bob Dylan and members of the Academy will attend, all according to Dylan’s wishes.

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 17:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
A Merry Llama wrote:

... and with "great unknown" you mean the exact number of Sinatra covers, I assume?

That and the exact number of days before ER's massive live setlist walkout

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next