Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu November 23rd, 2017, 05:41 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun September 25th, 2016, 00:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

notdarkyet2 wrote:
the way things are going, we'll get official word on this before we do on 13.

Excellent.

PostPosted: Mon September 26th, 2016, 06:34 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
13-Blood

14-Gospel

So I'll be buying the de-luxe version of 13-Blood whilst 14-Gospel will be the first Bootleg Series I'll wait to pick up in the bankruptcy sale at a local music store!, (or someone's second hand cast off!)

PostPosted: Wed September 28th, 2016, 15:20 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
13-Blood

14-Gospel

So I'll be buying the de-luxe version of 13-Blood whilst 14-Gospel will be the first Bootleg Series I'll wait to pick up in the bankruptcy sale at a local music store!, (or someone's second hand cast off!)

As mentioned in a thread some months back, I think the 13 and 14 here are the wrong way round. Still, we'll find out in due course though not too quickly going by ISIS's 23rd September blog entry, which included:

"There has been a lot of Dylan product over recent times so we really are being greedy expecting more and more. Overkill is a factor that needs to be taken into account with new product so we are not likely to see “BS 13” for some time."

PostPosted: Thu September 29th, 2016, 06:38 GMT 

If BS 14 could sing, the answer to this question would be obvious: "any day now, any day now"

PostPosted: Thu September 29th, 2016, 12:08 GMT 

dvdunplugged wrote:

That's why I still have doubts that there will ever be a gospel Bootleg Series. It appeals to a subset of what is already a relatively small set. I'd love it btw.

Maybe a late 1980-81 set, but a pure 1979-80 set? I doubt it - especially in Bob's lifetime.

PostPosted: Fri September 30th, 2016, 19:26 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
dvdunplugged wrote:

That's why I still have doubts that there will ever be a gospel Bootleg Series. It appeals to a subset of what is already a relatively small set. I'd love it btw.

Maybe a late 1980-81 set, but a pure 1979-80 set? I doubt it - especially in Bob's lifetime.

I think you are right re 1981. Makes it much more sellable. I see no need to drop 79 though.

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 01:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
13-Blood

14-Gospel

Order of release may switch, but both will be in our hands within the next two years...or sooner.

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 08:16 GMT 

I hope they do the same as the collectors edition of 12. 1979-1981 deluxe edition with everything would be amazing.

PostPosted: Fri October 21st, 2016, 08:32 GMT 

I had an email promoting the next Bootleg Series release but the first par via Rolling Stone said:..."Bob Dylan's new box set The 1966 Live Recordings isn't hitting shelves until November 11th, but his team is already thinking about their next archival release. For the thirteenth chapter of the Bootleg Series, the musician is strongly leaning toward a box set devoted to his gospel period, which ran from 1979 to 1981. " And here's a link to BlastingNews with more information http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2 ... 99011.html

PostPosted: Wed March 29th, 2017, 10:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's beginning to seem rather obvious that this one will be released in 2018 and centered around Blood on the Tracks, and maybe more of that period.

Author and historian Douglas Brinkley has begun accessing archive elements for his forthcoming book, “Dusty Sweatbox Blues: Bob Dylan and the Open Road 1974-1978.” The book will focus on Dylan’s mid-1970s albums (“Planet Waves,” “Blood on the Tracks,” “Desire” and “Street-Legal”) and be published by Harper Collins/Infinitum Nihill in 2018.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/scene/music/bob ... l?mode=jqm

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 16:49 GMT 

homerthes wrote:
The Bard wrote:

I think you are right re 1981. Makes it much more sellable. I see no need to drop 79 though.

Absolutely! The Fall 79 gospel performances were delivered with the same passion he had on the 1966 tour. By the next year, the performances dropped a few notches in terms of delivery.

I hope they skip the between song sermonizing, but the 1979 performances of the songs are essential...much better than the album version in most cases.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 17:20 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
It's beginning to seem rather obvious that this one will be released in 2018 and centered around Blood on the Tracks, and maybe more of that period.

Author and historian Douglas Brinkley has begun accessing archive elements for his forthcoming book, “Dusty Sweatbox Blues: Bob Dylan and the Open Road 1974-1978.” The book will focus on Dylan’s mid-1970s albums (“Planet Waves,” “Blood on the Tracks,” “Desire” and “Street-Legal”) and be published by Harper Collins/Infinitum Nihill in 2018.

I thought the same thing when I read about the Brinkley book. It now looks like BS 13 will be the rumored Gospel Set (tied in with the Heylin gospel book) and BS 14 could well be a mid-70s set (tied in with the Brinkley book and maybe the second Scorsese documentary).

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 18:06 GMT 

The Bard wrote:

If they follow the pattern of recent Bootleg Series, they could easily have both: A 1981 live set for mass consumption, a disc of 1979-81 studio outtakes in a three disc version (that much to my dismay won't come out on vinyl) and a 1979 live set for the super deluxe edition which appeals to the hardcore audience only anyway.

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 18:58 GMT 

Handsomeinthefog wrote:
The Bard wrote:

If they follow the pattern of recent Bootleg Series, they could easily have both: A 1981 live set for mass consumption, a disc of 1979-81 studio outtakes in a three disc version (that much to my dismay won't come out on vinyl) and a 1979 live set for the super deluxe edition which appeals to the hardcore audience only anyway.

Certainly possible. The Lanois mix of the 1981 New Orleans show, as released on the boot "Child's Balloon", is widely praised among collectors. Although I'm not sure such a release would be commercially successful with a more general audience.

If Sony hope to appeal to a general audience with a gospel years release (a task that may not be possible IMO) I think it would have to be with a 2-disc curated set of "highlights", both studio and live, from across the three years (79-81).

A complete show from this era would likely only appeal to serious fans, and I expect it would therefore be included in a deluxe box (similar to the complete Isle of Wight performance from Another Self Portrait).

PostPosted: Thu March 30th, 2017, 19:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'll be thrilled for any BS release that isn't 60's centered. Enough of the 60's material already

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nightingale's Code wrote:
I'll be thrilled for any BS release that isn't 60's centered. Enough of the 60's material already

Well that'll be BS13. Probably AND BS14.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:31 GMT 

Posted by LonesomeDayBlues over on the Steve Hoffman Forum:

Clinton Heylin recently confirmed at a meet and greet that the Blood On The Tracks bootleg series has been completed for some time and sitting on the shelf. He says, "It's all done. They can put it out whenever they can."

I think we all had a sense of this but it's nice to know. I think the delay is more about timing now and nothing to do with the missing tape rumors at this point.

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 10:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Let's get that damn BOTT release out already! Can we skip BS13 and go right to 14?

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 12:04 GMT 

[quote="My Echo, My Shadow And Me"]Posted by LonesomeDayBlues over on the Steve Hoffman Forum:

Clinton Heylin recently confirmed at a meet and greet that the Blood On The Tracks bootleg series has been completed for some time and sitting on the shelf. He says, "It's all done. They can put it out whenever they can."

I think we all had a sense of this but it's nice to know. I think the delay is more about timing now and nothing to do with the missing tape rumors at this point.
[/quote

SERIOUSLY??!!?!! Don't tell me they're just holding it back till 2019 or whatever in order to stick to a two year rhythm!

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 18:48 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:

I would not dislike something more extended than only Blood On The Tracks.
Especially I remember reading there were messy Desire sessions before the actual recording band was fixed. Possibly some tracks are complete enough for a BS release sand I'd like to hear that.
Or are there bunches of unknown outtakes of Planet Waves that would constitute a second Basement Tapes? (One can always dream...)

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 21:27 GMT 

Location: I've just reached a place where the willow don't bend...
I've been away from the Dylan world for a few weeks now and I come back and people are talking about BOTT being the next release?!

I thought it was open and shut that it was going to be Gospel? - Heylin's new book was primed as was the documentary. I know the BOTT stuff has been, probably, good to go for a while and continuously pushed back, but what's changed recently?

PostPosted: Sun September 17th, 2017, 21:41 GMT 

Hibbing91 wrote:
I've been away from the Dylan world for a few weeks now and I come back and people are talking about BOTT being the next release?!

I thought it was open and shut that it was going to be Gospel? - Heylin's new book was primed as was the documentary. I know the BOTT stuff has been, probably, good to go for a while and continuously pushed back, but what's changed recently?

They're jumping ahead of themselves-the devil is in the detail!

They're talking about series 14, even though 13 hasn't been released yet, so still expect Gospel.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 00:04 GMT 

Ah well. I don't mean to look a gift horse in the mouth,
but i think all a BOTT BS would contain is that original NYC pressing
remastered, the album itself remastered, and maybe a third
disc containing stuff like Up To Me and different takes of the songs.

The Gospel idea has the potential to be more interesting given he
was performing previously (and in a few cases) still unreleased
songs. Maybe the Gospel BS could have a mixture of concert recordings
spanning 79/81 over two discs and an for a third CD an outtakes disc
with different takes of 'Slow Train' & 'Saved' studio recordings.

I'm pretty sure the Shot Of Love sessions in terms of outtakes
has already been released haven't they? Between Biograph
and BS Vol1-3?

I know i keep banging on about it, but if anyone from Sony is
reading what some Dylan fans might like, i'd shell out 200/250
for a 3 disc set of full pristine NET shows from 1988 but i doubt
that's gonna happen anytime soon (if ever)

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 00:08 GMT 

Actually, thinking about it, a BS of the 1978
world tour would've been a treat.
I don't know if they're are anymore outtakes from
Street Legal other than 'Stop Now' and a few others
so perhaps the Rundown Rehearsals along with the
1978 shows would be a great 3 or 4 disc BS release,
instead of jumping directly to the Gospel Years.
But like someone has already said it's jumping the
gun a bit to speculate too far ahead.

PostPosted: Mon September 18th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd rather hear 5 takes of the same BOTT songs than whatever they throw together for this gospel release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next