Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri February 23rd, 2018, 06:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 19:22 GMT 
Titanium Member

LeftBanke, Do you still have the original document or manuscript of Shain's book? I'd like to read it for comparisons. I would pay for postage, I'm sure you don't mind parting with it, since you're disgusted by it.

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 19:24 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
LeftBanke, Do you still have the original document or manuscript of Shain's book? I'd like to read it for comparisons. I would pay for postage, I'm sure you don't mind parting with it, since you're disgusted by it.

No I dont, I cant recall what I did with it, maybe traded to a Dylan fan for a tour hat or something along those lines. I wonder what would it have fetched on Ebay today? A thousand dollars?

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 19:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

I would say less than $100.

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 20:37 GMT 

" maybe traded to a Dylan fan for a tour hat or something along those lines"

I'll swap you the book for the hat (and I'll throw in some of my unpublished poems, and a loose account of how I lost my virginity to Miley Cyrus)?

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 21:00 GMT 

He's gone quiet.

The offer was not tempting. He must already have seen an early version of my magnus opus 'Miley Cyrus and her part in the downfall of my virginity'.

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 21:17 GMT 

Describes herself on her website as the "female lovechild of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen." That's a lot of talent for someone that no one has heard of. Tacky and cringey in the extreme.

paid in blood wrote:
...saying in parting "I sometimes do bad things."

Hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri May 27th, 2016, 21:18 GMT 

Hat is vintage worth a lot of money.
I already read Britta book MK 1 which will have to suffice for now until her novel comes out.

Yes, it is tacky to describe oneself as the love child of Dylan and Leonard Cohen. Cringe worthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 00:21 GMT 

Is "groupie" strictly pejorative? If so, why?

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 02:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

For a book that's too much of nothing, we've obviously have spoken about it quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 28th, 2016, 16:05 GMT 

rimbaud wrote:
Is "groupie" strictly pejorative?

yes

PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 18:24 GMT 

Interesting in that people like this with extraordinary fame and wealth can and usually do create their own reality. They're able to people it exclusively with people who are fascinated by them, will do whatever they want and aren't likely to disagree with them because if they disagree or aren't with the program they can be cast out so their space in the entourage can be given to the next of many eager people who are with the program.

She would be one of those people - someone available for whatever by virtue of his fame, wealth and image more than any real recognition of what he's like - he's probably been surrounded by such people his whole life - which would lead her to make misjudgements about her status with him because who but someone else in his situation really understands what this kind of status - where everyone can be bought and everyone is disposable - does to your head?

Probably any famous person in this situation would be an incredible jerk and impossible to deal with unless something disrupted their life and forced them to examine what they were doing and inspired an effort to change.

I recently reread Peter Guralnick's biography of Elvis, which Bob praised, and the portrait of Elvis as someone who very quickly became lost to himself not long after his first burst of fame is scary. His descent is sad and even though I'd read the book many years ago and of course knew what the ending was I kept hoping Elvis would somehow reconnect to something meaningful in his life and right himself in time to survive - and he never did. Some of the blame goes to the people around Elvis who liked being along for the ride in his luxurious but boring life or who were there because they were paid to be there. But ultimately the tragedy was on Elvis for never realizing he'd be miserable if he didn't get straight with himself. (Particularly interesting in a ghoulish sort of way is Elvis' last girlfriend, southern beauty queen Ginger Alden. Elvis was far into drug addiction when he met her and was initially interested in her sister. Ginger's mother was a pushy hustler and, knowing a good thing when she saw one, bullied Ginger - who was younger and more malleable - to get with Elvis and try to finagle him into marriage, very possibly for financial reasons since Ginger shows no signs of loving Elvis or even having much human interest in him. Ginger seems to have put up some initial resistance to her mother pushing he to be with Elvis - easy to see why a very pretty and naive young woman wouldn't be interested in a fat, drug-addicted self-centered man over 20 years her senior. But she eventually returned his interest in her. They were engaged when Elvis died and she was the one who discovered his body after he collapsed in their bathroom.)

That's how I see Britta Lee Shain. One more clueless person who inserted herself in Bob Dylan's path - for reasons likely all too obvious to Dylan - with expectations he would act like a normal person, something he probably hasn't done in 50 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 19:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's all right, but who's 'normal'?

PostPosted: Sun May 29th, 2016, 22:53 GMT 

blackrayne wrote:
Interesting in that people like this with extraordinary fame and wealth can and usually do create their own reality. They're able to people it exclusively with people who are fascinated by them, will do whatever they want and aren't likely to disagree with them because if they disagree or aren't with the program they can be cast out so their space in the entourage can be given to the next of many eager people who are with the program... who but someone else in his situation really understands what this kind of status - where everyone can be bought and everyone is disposable - does to your head?

I think this is probably right on the money. I've never seen fame close up, but it must be very hard to resist those kinds of mind-bending temptations. Then I think about the Steven Spielbergs and Tom Hankses of the entertainment industry, who seem to have retained some ability to relate to real people in the real world. I think they're probably happier people because of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 00:08 GMT 

I've seen a lot of very famous people up close and while it's not all of them, the ability to weed out your world so you're insulated from anyone who disagrees with you or won't do exactly what you say appears to be a fairly common result of fame & money, and more so the longer and more intense the fame is.

My favorite example is someone like Reese Witherspoon who when they've messed up has a tantrum exclaiming "Don't you know who I am?"

The 2 people you mention - Speilberg & Hanks - seem well-known for their decency. There are others who seem to still have their heads on straight - George Lucas comes to mind. I've met Stephen King and the first time he whined and complained to event staff about having to meet his horrible fans who were waiting patiently in line outside. The other times he was charming and gracious. Politicians know they will lose elections if 'outed' as jerks but that doesn't apply to people in the arts or sports who can get away with murder because their fans will excuse anything, deluding themselves their 'guy' could never be a hateful or depraved person. I've been constantly amazed over years how horribly many famous people act. Sure there are some very nice people in that group who work not to have their heads turned. But being worth $50 million does nothing to keep most people in touch with being kind, decent and patient with others. Quite the opposite.

I mentioned Stephen King because I've met him a number of times and his fame is so enormous and has been for decades. He's worth close to a half billion dollars and has a huge and crazed worldwide fan base - quite a few of whom are people who are obsessed with him and view him as some kind of god - I saw them in action.

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 00:20 GMT 

blackrayne wrote:
I've seen a lot of very famous people up close and while it's not all of them, the ability to weed out your world so you're insulated from anyone who disagrees with you or won't do exactly what you say appears to be a fairly common result of fame & money, and more so the longer and more intense the fame is.

My favorite example is someone like Reese Witherspoon who when they've messed up has a tantrum exclaiming "Don't you know who I am?"

The 2 people you mention - Speilberg & Hanks - seem well-known for their decency. There are others who seem to still have their heads on straight - George Lucas comes to mind. I've met Stephen King and the first time he whined and complained to event staff about having to meet his horrible fans who were waiting patiently in line outside. The other times he was charming and gracious. Politicians know they will lose elections if 'outed' as jerks but that doesn't apply to people in the arts or sports who can get away with murder because their fans will excuse anything, deluding themselves their 'guy' could never be a hateful or depraved person. I've been constantly amazed over years how horribly many famous people act. Sure there are some very nice people in that group who work not to have their heads turned. But being worth $50 million does nothing to keep most people in touch with being kind, decent and patient with others. Quite the opposite.

I mentioned Stephen King because I've met him a number of times and his fame is so enormous and has been for decades. He's worth close to a half billion dollars and has a huge and crazed worldwide fan base - quite a few of whom are people who are obsessed with him and view him as some kind of god - I saw them in action.

I guess, case in hand, the best of all possible solutions would have been not to be a groupie.
Personally, when I buy a Stones album I dont give the matter in depth analysis. Are they nice and cool people to their fans? I just dont give buying an album or attending a concert that much thought, are they nice and humane towards the groupies, the roadies and the staff at the hotel? You know, it really doesnt matter as long as its a good album.

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 01:58 GMT 

LeftBanke wrote:
blackrayne wrote:

I guess, case in hand, the best of all possible solutions would have been not to be a groupie.
Personally, when I buy a Stones album I dont give the matter in depth analysis. Are they nice and cool people to their fans? I just dont give buying an album or attending a concert that much thought, are they nice and humane towards the groupies, the roadies and the staff at the hotel? You know, it really doesnt matter as long as its a good album.

A sane response. There have always been people on this site who idealize Bob Dylan and project all sorts of qualities on him they don't know if he has - and ignore evidence that he's not particularly a 'good citizen.' I agree 'sweet person' and 'good citizen' aren't part of the artists job description. But something about fan websites encourage people to make the celebrity a hero and sometimes even close to a figure of worship, rather than imagining how a rich famous spoiled person living in a largely self-curated reality might not be especially well-adjusted.

PostPosted: Tue May 31st, 2016, 07:03 GMT 

One wonders what effect Dylan's lifestyle has on his music. When you look back at the two acoustic albums from the early nineties I reckon they were an attempt to connect with his roots. I can't imagine that he even thinks or feels the same way as he did when he set out to make it. He once said that he can no longer write songs like the early numbers. Obviously I am only guessing but I think Dylan tries to steer clear of those who want to praise him, or tell him what his music means to them. I saw Gene Pitney in concert many years ago ( my ex was a fan), and he just sucked up to the audience the whole way through. He was playing at the Regal Cinema in Edmonton, North London. He kept on telling the crowd how great it was to be in Edmonton. Anyone who knows anything about Edmonton died laughing every time he said it.

Dylan usually stays away from all of that, so he appears aloof. He apparently wanders around the streets late at night to get away from all the hype associated with touring. I guess he is smart enough to try and avoid the pitfalls of fame, and it looks to me like he has his own way of avoiding the kind of fate that Elvis suffered. But the temptations must be great.

I imagine that the music is his mainstay. The dive into the American songbook may be just another way of keeping things fresh. Some fans obviously don't like the recent albums, but he has probably gained and lost more fans along the way than any other artist, simply by following his own instincts. Can anyone say he was wrong.

PostPosted: Sat June 11th, 2016, 02:03 GMT 

I Read it.
Do ya know what strucked me most? If I ever had the opportunity to be that close to Dylan I would have never ever lost my time (and his) speaking about jackets, boots and rings....c'mon!
Besides, geniouses are known to feed on sexual energy, they take it from anyone who is willing to give it out, well almost for free in this case!
I was zealous enough to check out her sininging on youtube... well, if you think her lyrics are lousy spare yourself the rest!
Amen

PostPosted: Wed June 22nd, 2016, 23:48 GMT 

excellent and brave book

PostPosted: Thu July 28th, 2016, 04:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's been speculated on here that she was linked to the leaking of the mid-80s outtakes and rehearsals that appeared recently. What's more, and I can't help but wonder... a private family photo of Dylan, Sara and their children also recently surfaced. It's clearly a photo of a photo. In the book, Britta states that Bob had such a photo on tour with him and that he showed it to her. So one might guess she's the source for that one, too.

Also, she claims all the photos she herself took of Dylan didn't come out, and what about the photos taken of her with Dylan? It's all stock photos of him in her book. Come on, now... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu July 28th, 2016, 04:55 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's been speculated on here that she was linked to the leaking of the mid-80s outtakes and rehearsals that appeared recently. What's more, and I can't help but wonder... a private family photo of Dylan, Sara and their children also recently surfaced. It's clearly a photo of a photo. In the book, Britta states that Bob had such a photo on tour with him and that he showed it to her. So one might guess she's the source for that one, too.

What's her motive to do that?

PostPosted: Thu July 28th, 2016, 05:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Revenge? Money, maybe. Who knows.

PostPosted: Thu July 28th, 2016, 05:05 GMT 

Seems really weird to me that she would take a photo of a photo of Bob, Sara, and their kids

PostPosted: Fri July 29th, 2016, 09:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

She kept his cigarette butts, just to put it in perspective...

PostPosted: Fri July 29th, 2016, 13:39 GMT 

Contacts Among Lumberjacks wrote:
Seems really weird to me that she would take a photo of a photo of Bob, Sara, and their kids

Before she was promoted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next