Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 11:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Best Brews on Tour
PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 23:34 GMT 
Titanium Member

Well I wouldn't place bets on finding a great stout,
But this place delivers a fine IPA, seems available on the east coast. It's out of Delray Beach:

http://www.saltwaterbrewery.com/brews

There were even a handful of gastro/craft pubs , but I didn't make it to any on a visit.

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 23:35 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
the proper thing to title your beer if you want 'beer to drink music to' is to name it after a jazz great or a Bob Dylan song.
e.g. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/38868/171853/

Is this what you are referring to when you say jazz great? If so, I agree! http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/64/59151/
I was hoping this would be on tap when I stopped by their ale house the other day, but unfortunately it wasn't.

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 23:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

That's one that would have come to mind, but Brother Thelonious was blocking the pathway. Bitches brew is better I think, but there's certainly room for both in this fine world.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/112/30282/

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 03:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
Well I wouldn't place bets on finding a great stout,
But this place delivers a fine IPA, seems available on the east coast. It's out of Delray Beach:

http://www.saltwaterbrewery.com/brews

There were even a handful of gastro/craft pubs , but I didn't make it to any on a visit.

Gonna hafta smuggle it in then.

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 17:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

This post makes me wonder why I have never tried checking a 49 pound cooler at the gates. Is that legal?

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 21:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
This post makes me wonder why I have never tried checking a 49 pound cooler at the gates. Is that legal?

Yup. Totally doable.
Just not as carry-ons!

PostPosted: Wed April 6th, 2016, 22:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

Gonna have to run this by Mrs llama: it'll be between the cooler or a stroller I imagine. Time for llittle llama to start carrying his weight, and then some

PostPosted: Wed April 20th, 2016, 00:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

Good news for this summer's Portland show:

Portland ranked world's best city for craft beer
PORTLAND, Maine — Out of all the cities and towns Earth has to offer, one independent travel media site has named Portland, Maine, the world's best city for craft beer.
According to Matador Network, Portland ranks No. 1 beating out the fifth largest city in Mexico, Munich, Eugene, Ore., Tokyo and several others.
With barely 10 percent the population the "other Portland" has—also known for its unique beer selection—Maine's largest city has achieved quite the reputation for its microbrew industry, and rightfully so.
The publication sites Allagash and Maine Beer Company as the city's "big players" while Bissell Brothers, Oxbow, Rising Tide and Bunker all receive mentions. The Maine Brew Bus also gets a shout-out.

http://www.wcsh6.com/mb/news/local/port ... /136075759

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 20:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

As for this Spring, before its too late, I'd like to submit a recommendation which may be my favorite beer from that hemisphere. The south one. Partly because I've never had anything from South America.

Here's to Southern Hemisphere Set Bob.

https://westcoastbeergeek.com/2014/08/2 ... ial-stout/

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 23:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
As for this Spring, before its too late, I'd like to submit a recommendation which may be my favorite beer from that hemisphere. The south one. Partly because I've never had anything from South America.

Here's to Southern Hemisphere Set Bob.

https://westcoastbeergeek.com/2014/08/2 ... ial-stout/

Well, South America has a ways to go Llama. It think this looks like a great choice if I could get my taste buds on it. Will look for it next time in NZ.

By the way, "never had anything from South America?" But aren't Llamas FROM South America?

PostPosted: Thu April 28th, 2016, 01:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

Yes they have great water and coffee.
Incidentally, MOA is imported by a place in Massachusetts , so aquiring it should be easier than you think. I got mine at the world of beer.
Also, it is said to taste like wine the warmer it gets... So I was sure to drink mine quickly!
Next I have to get one to take home and warm it properly.

PostPosted: Sat May 7th, 2016, 01:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

Spent way more time than necessary in Philly International this week.
Best beer choices are over in Terminal B at the JetRock. One of the few airport bars in the country that actually carry decent porters & stouts. They also serve them in a real pint glass, not some little champagne glass or brandy snifter. Pulls the ten-spots outta yer wallet at a fairly good clip though...

PostPosted: Mon May 9th, 2016, 00:51 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
I prefer bourbon whilst waiting on my plane to show up. Fewer trips to the ridiculous head once you actually board! Does nothing to slow down the wallet emptying, however.

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2016, 11:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Woodinville Breweries

The number of Woodinville Breweries has been increasing and has provided some alternatives to the scores of wineries in this suburban town on Seattle's Eastside. These breweries illustrate the diversity of the craft beer scene in the Pacific Northwest.

From the big kid on the block brewing up half a million kegs a year, all the way to the smallest who brews one keg at a time. Each has their own focus, styles of beers and strengths, but they are all worth checking out.

http://www.aletrailmaps.com/woodinville-breweries.html

PostPosted: Thu May 19th, 2016, 22:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

There's a new brewery in Chicago that should pair well with the Road this summer:

http://www.ibw-chicago.com/beer/

Their motto extends to attendance policy at a bob show too:

Also, I got up early today to find the perfect beer for Fallen Angels Friday tomorrow:

"Samael is the prince of demons, the angel of death, accuser and destroyer. Filled with enmity towards man, he planted the vine, the forbidden tree of paradise. Behold his venom and vengeance, both sweet and tempting, enticing you, his spellbound victim, within his wings."

PostPosted: Sun May 22nd, 2016, 10:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
Also, I got up early today to find the perfect beer for Fallen Angels Friday tomorrow:

Gonna need more than a few of those to get through that one.
As a great man once said: "Live music is better. Bumper-stickers should be issued."

PostPosted: Mon May 30th, 2016, 21:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Back in another airport situation. U.S. Airports generally, ahem, suck, when it comes to decent beer.
Someday this may change. Maybe by the time Bob drops Sinatra covers? ... let's hope.

This one has me ordering from an iPad.
No dark beer to be found...except this, as cut & pasted from the electronic menu:

"Swirling clouds tumble as the storm begins to calm, settle, breathe in the moment, then break through the smooth, light head to the bittersweet reward. Unmistakeably GUINNESS® draught , from the first velvet sip to the last, lingering drop. And every deep-dark satisfying mouthful in between.
Pure beauty. Pure GUINNESS."

Actually sounds good right about now at this point in the journey.
Although, I prefer to be in Ireland when drinking this one!
Best I can do in a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed June 1st, 2016, 01:09 GMT 

Guinness should go big and whip up an Imperial Stout. Bet they'd do a good job. We Americans deserve a higher ABV than a regular Guinness delivers. Hell, it's not like they have a centuries old recipe or anything!

PostPosted: Wed June 1st, 2016, 18:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

Just had a tasty Guinness in a biker bar in rural Illinois recently. It was smokey.

PostPosted: Fri June 3rd, 2016, 11:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'd actually choose Guinness over wine at tomorrow's winery gig.

PostPosted: Wed June 8th, 2016, 15:55 GMT 
Titanium Member

Near San Fran next, looking west, it seems
Anchor Brewing would serve well with the set.
If it's as hot as it was in Washington , I recommend this one, but have six of them.

PostPosted: Thu June 9th, 2016, 16:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

For that high caliber show, the snapshot of Dylan's horizontal epic,
You may want to keep this between your thighs:

like The Set, this one has been brewing for a very long time, yet is also available for a limited time. Before change is upon us.....winter is coming.

ESCONDIDO, CA (September 21, 2015) – Two decades of innovative craft brewing is a big deal. Only a small percentage of craft beer companies can boast such a tenure. The significance of this milestone is not lost on Stone Brewing Co.’s co-founders, Greg Koch and Steve Wagner, who have decided to spend more than a full year celebrating the big 2-0 in grand style by re-releasing previously brewed fan-favorite beers now through the 20th anniversary in 2016. Enter the Stone 20th Anniversary Encore Series. To officially launch the celebration, the encore version of Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale will begin arriving today in 22-ounce bottles and on draft to select retailers, restaurants and bars in markets where Stone beer is sold.
“While we’re immensely proud of the many quality beers we’ve brewed over the past 19 years, it’s our fans’ love of those beers and their support of Stone that has allowed us to do what we do, and do it our way over that span,” said Stone CEO and co-founder Greg Koch. “We’re excited to be closing in on two full decades of craft brewing and are pleased to provide this special way of saying thank you to our supporters.”
The Stone Encore Series will encompass some of the most well-received beers from the company’s nearly 20 years of brewing. From September 2015 through December 2016, Stone will revisit the recipes of a number of fan favorites, beginning with the encore release of Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale. That beer, a strong Belgian-style IPA originally released in 2008 as part of the vaunted Stone Vertical Epic Ale series, will be brewed to the exact specifications of the original so that fans who’ve enjoyed it in the past can relive that experience, and those who are new to the beer (or heaven forbid haven’t tasted it) can find out what they missed the first time around.
Thanks to a Belgian yeast strain used during fermentation, Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale has a complex aroma with clove, pepper and tropical fruit character. These qualities extend to the overall taste, creating a prevalent banana, spice and citrus flavor. Like the original batch from 2008, this beer is ready to be consumed fresh or may be stored at proper cellaring temperatures (55°F or lower) for several years. Over time, it will become a smoother and more refined beer that still maintains a surprisingly bright hop character.
A number of other Stone Anniversary Ales will be brought back, along with past Stone Collaborations and special release beers, all featuring artwork evocative of their first time on store shelves. No single day can contain something as momentous as the 20th anniversary of Stone Brewing Co., but with any luck, part of 2015 and all of 2016 will provide enough time to celebrate this landmark occasion to the fullest.

“The Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic has its roots in a trip to Belgium taken by Mitch and I in early 2008. While there, we found Duvel Tripel Hop, which as the name implies, is a Belgian tripel dosed up with American hops. When we returned home, we opened the bottle and became delightfully inspired to brew our own take on it. We tried a few other Belgian IPAs, namely Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel and Urthel Hop-it, and made the Stone 08.08.08 Vertical Epic Ale a variation on this theme. Spicy and fruity, it has a crisp bitterness that combines San Diego attitude with Belgian sophistication. As it turned out, brewing this beer led to the creation of Stone Cali-Belgique IPA around the same time. We also brewed AleSmith/Mikkeller/Stone Belgian Style Triple Ale and another batch of Sawyer’s Triple, leading (Brewmaster) Mitch (Steele) to declare Summer 2008 as “Summer of the Triple.”

PostPosted: Fri June 10th, 2016, 00:38 GMT 

And after your sixer of Anchors, would there be any better way to cap off the eve than by heading over to The Buena Vista in SF for a tasty Irish Coffee or two?

PostPosted: Fri June 10th, 2016, 01:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

It would either be the perfect cap or the best way to start the next morning, take your pick!
Well a SF Bloody Mary would be the best way to start the am, so yes, I'll take the 'cap!

PostPosted: Fri June 10th, 2016, 04:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

I generally like Stone brews, although I haven't had this one.
A regular coffee & a Bloody sound like the perfect morn to me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 993 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next