Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue May 22nd, 2018, 21:27 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 14:40 GMT 

'Seeing the Real You at Last: Life and Love on the Road with Bob Dylan' by Britta Lee Shain
Paperback, 272 pages, Jawbone Press
Out May 3, 2016

Amazon.com description:
"I've never seen a Bob Dylan smile, except in photos or on the stage. Not the real thing."

Britta Lee Shain was a friend of Bob Dylan's until he asked her to join him on the road in the mid 1980s, at which point she became more than a friend. In this intimate and elliptical memoir of their time together, at home in Los Angeles and on tour with Tom Petty and the Grateful Dead, she offers a unique portrait of the romantic, earthbound, and poetic soul trapped in the role of Being Bob Dylan.

"If you were my woman, I'd be worth four times as much."

Entire libraries of books have been written about Dylan, but few--if any--offer any lasting insight into the man behind the shades. Until now. Written with the elegance of a poet and storytelling snap of a novelist, Seeing The Real You At Last is a poignant and tender romance that reveals Dylan's playfulness, his dark wit, his fears and struggles, his complex relationships with the men and women in his life, and, ultimately, his genius.

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. Will it be a tawdry gossip fest or will it offer some real insight? I'm guessing a bit of both. Jawbone Press have published some pretty decent Dylan books before, including Sid Griffin's 'Million Dollar Bash'. As a book by an 'insider' I'd be interested to read it even it's probably best taken with a pinch of salt.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 16:00 GMT 

I'll be looking forward to the review from Gary Shaffner

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 16:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

Kiss & tell... :?

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 16:53 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Kiss & tell... :?

Quite possibly. I hope it will shed some light on Dylan's state of mind during those mid-80s wilderness years.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 17:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

I don't care if it's a kiss and tell. If she says what's it like stepping on that cigarette smelling tour bus, that's worth the price of admission alone.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 17:50 GMT 

"I've never seen a Bob Dylan smile"

I think this is unintentionally revealing.

PostPosted: Fri November 13th, 2015, 20:26 GMT 

Apparently, she wrote a song with Dylan called "YOU CAN BLOW MY MIND (IF YOU WANT TO)". Great title--anyone have the lyrics?

PostPosted: Sat November 14th, 2015, 07:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

lowgen wrote:
"I've never seen a Bob Dylan smile"

I think this is unintentionally revealing.

Right?

He smiles every night, the closer he gets to the end of the show, the happier he gets...

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 18:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

Isis (The website) has read an early draft, proof, or copy, and has decided to sell it from their site after all. They, like many of us, considered it to be a cash grab, but apparently, it is a worthwhile at Bob look through the eyes of Ms. Shain during that period of time. I can't wait for this to be published. That period of Tower Records, VHS, and MTV fascinates me.

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 19:10 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
I don't care if it's a kiss and tell. If she says what's it like stepping on that cigarette smelling tour bus, that's worth the price of admission alone.

that cigarette and doggy-dog smelling tour bus

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 20:06 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
Isis (The website) has read an early draft, proof, or copy, and has decided to sell it from their site after all. They, like many of us, considered it to be a cash grab, but apparently, it is a worthwhile at Bob look through the eyes of Ms. Shain during that period of time. I can't wait for this to be published. That period of Tower Records, VHS, and MTV fascinates me.

Thanks for bumping this. I've been trying to remember for weeks what the name of this thing was. The American in me really wants to read this tabloid exposure of the 80s. Went ahead and preordered

PostPosted: Wed March 9th, 2016, 23:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:
goodnitesteve wrote:

Thanks for bumping this. I've been trying to remember for weeks what the name of this thing was. The American in me really wants to read this tabloid exposure of the 80s. Went ahead and preordered

I think what they said is that it was a look at that period of time in general, which made me wonder how much there really is on Bob.

PostPosted: Fri March 11th, 2016, 00:50 GMT 

https://www.facebook.com/BrittaLeeShain/

She sounds mighty geriatric (if indeed she be the same)...with a massive following of 208 no less.

"I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone" Bob Dylan

I dare say ever more will come out of the woodwork, staking their claim (and he's not even gone yet) with accounts such as:
http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/sally ... sive-90480

To think I was once envious of her and not about looks or talent either, mind you. MEOW!!

Oh dignity where hast thou flown?

"Snap out of it baby, people are jealous of you" B. Dylan

PostPosted: Fri March 11th, 2016, 17:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

Peggy Day wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/BrittaLeeShain/

She sounds mighty geriatric (if indeed she be the same)...with a massive following of 208 no less.

"I don't have any regrets, they can talk about me plenty when I'm gone" Bob Dylan

I dare say ever more will come out of the woodwork, staking their claim (and he's not even gone yet) with accounts such as:
http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/sally ... sive-90480

To think I was once envious of her and not about looks or talent either, mind you. MEOW!!

Oh dignity where hast thou flown?

"Snap out of it baby, people are jealous of you" B. Dylan

That's her. I follow her and she mentioned the book when it was first announced. She hasn't said much about it recently, but it seems like she still plays music. Funny, I never bothered to listen to how she sounds.

PostPosted: Fri March 11th, 2016, 17:41 GMT 

I started reading the newest iteration of Behind the Shades recently. Shain is mentioned a lot in the intro and never in a positive way. All of the mentions are in passing, but they also lump her in with the tabloid/tell-all crowd, essentially writing her off.

We'll see

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 01:26 GMT 

I received the book in the mail today. The quality of the print job is impressive. I like the card stock like pages and the overall presentation of the book.

I'm only a few pages in so far, but this definitely seems like it will focus heavily on Dylan. I'm not sensing at all that it will be "about that period of time in general."

I'll update as I read, but I read slowly with very little down time

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 15:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:
I received the book in the mail today. The quality of the print job is impressive. I like the card stock like pages and the overall presentation of the book.

I'm only a few pages in so far, but this definitely seems like it will focus heavily on Dylan. I'm not sensing at all that it will be "about that period of time in general."

Where did you order from? I did not think it was out til May. I will have to order it, I will read it quick. Jawbone typically does a nice job with all it's Dylan releases. I own the Shelter from the Storm and Basement Tapes book.

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 15:24 GMT 

goodnitesteve wrote:
TimeandTempo wrote:

Where did you order from? I did not think it was out til May. I will have to order it, I will read it quick. Jawbone typically does a nice job with all it's Dylan releases. I own the Shelter from the Storm and Basement Tapes book.

Got it from Amazon. It shows a release date of May, but also says "Order Today With One Day Shipping and Receive it Tomorrow!"

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 15:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

TimeandTempo wrote:

Got it from Amazon. It shows a release date of May, but also says "Order Today With One Day Shipping and Receive it Tomorrow!"

Ordering now. I still have a few weeks left on my free amazon prime trial. $3 one day shipping!

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 15:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Ordered. I chose the free 2 day shipping. It will be here Friday, which is fine with me. I usually can read Dylan books quickly in the loo and that's just what I'm going to do.

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 18:11 GMT 

The book has been making the round for at least 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 18:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

So it's Tarantula part II

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 19:34 GMT 

so is Tarantula pt II :?:

There is no Tarantula Pt II.

Actually this book, as well as the other one by the other Dylan girlfriend whose name escapes me at the moment, probably go back further than 20 years. How she was Gary Shafner's girlfriend and she hitched up with Bob etc.
Good for her, finding someone to put it out at last.

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 21:27 GMT 

nice Lost Weekend photos on the cover, that was a rough night

PostPosted: Wed April 27th, 2016, 21:38 GMT 

I read it in one night.

No matter how one tries to couch it, it's one woman's story about sleeping up, betraying her fiancee(called Ernie is this book) and those who had become friendly to her, and who was devastated when the less than six week relationship didn't lead to lifelong commitment. It's her story and Bob does not come off any better than your average p-hound, saying in parting "I sometimes do bad things."

Too close to the flame. Ouch!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next