Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 11th, 2017, 03:46 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Wed November 18th, 2015, 02:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Still plenty from the sixties to come.

PostPosted: Wed November 18th, 2015, 13:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

oldmanemu wrote:
Still plenty from the sixties to come.

The pressure will be off regarding copyrights for a little while.

Instead of the Bootleg Series, they could always to an extended bonus track thing for John Wesley when that comes around since there may not be as much cutting room scrap to sweep up.
Same for Pat Garrett.

Capitalizing on Blood in either BS13 or BS14 makes sense while the audience is still alive.

Might say the same thing in the Where The Heck is Bootleg 14 Series thread...already been said in Where The Heck is BS12, right?

PostPosted: Wed November 18th, 2015, 19:52 GMT 

Kevin Davis wrote:
rolling_thunder wrote:
I hope they f*ck off with the 60's for the next 3 or 4 releases of The Bootleg series. We already got more than enough of that stuff out there. Let's cover some other portions of the guys career already.

maybe this one could be called "Even Slower Train Coming

Fast train leaving?

PostPosted: Wed December 9th, 2015, 10:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

From 'Possible scenarios for 2016 release' thread:

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Possible scenarios for next release:

a) "Shadows In The Night – Part II"
b) gospel album engineered by Al Schmitt
c) album of new originals engineered by Al Schmitt
d) Bootleg Series 13 – The Blood On The Tracks Sessions
e) Bootleg Series 13 - Ghost Of Electricity/World Tour 1966*

"wild card" scenarios:
f) Bootleg Series 13 – Gospel Era

g) Live Album of 2015 show(s)

*I do not think they will do this, but if the Cutting Edge sells well, who knows? The 1966 live material is too good and too important to give away as a download or to release in limited quantities just to secure the copyright.

PostPosted: Wed December 9th, 2015, 11:50 GMT 

Most likely to happen:

a)
d) or e)

However, I don't think Dylan Inc. will do the same time period for BS 13 than TCE. For casual fans, that seems a bit repetitive. TCE did sell very well though. It was the first number one on the Billboard for a Bootleg Series, beating 1-3, TTS, and surprisingly as a number two the Witmark Demoes. Maybe because fans didn't expect it and surely because it is the peak of Dylan's career, commercially and critically (Blood being a strong contender).
Moreover, who will pay for the gigantic box of 1966 material? Those who paid that outrageous price for the Collector's Edition won't be able to do the same thing the next year I guess (at least it is my case).

I'll prefer they secure the copyright with a download or a stealthy release like 1963 and 1964. A good idea will be to release degraded tapes of every concerts to protect them (which is completely legal until you can recognize it is the good concert). It won't be a give-away since fans won't be interested in poor quality concerts when the boots are incredible. But Sony will have some time to create that box.
Bob will give us BOTT at last and then we will think about buying the 1966 set for 2017 or whenever.

Other scenarios are as you said wild cards and are not going to happen right now. Gospel is still
Quote:
kind of a square peg for a round hole
to quote The Source. And Bob hasn't done a live album since Unplugged, I don't think he's interested in releasing one after more than 20 years.

PostPosted: Wed December 9th, 2015, 21:24 GMT 

I think a JWH / NS collection could work, adding another disc of the Woody Guthrie shows. For those how have had a gutful of the 60s, a PG to Desire comp would also be great, and provide enough material for a 5 or 6 CD set as seems to be the trend for the BS lately.

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Thu December 10th, 2015, 14:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

BobDylan66 wrote:
... A good idea will be to release degraded tapes of every concerts to protect them (which is completely legal until you can recognize it is the good concert). It won't be a give-away since fans won't be interested in poor quality concerts when the boots are incredible. But Sony will have some time to create that box.

Interesting thought 66.

Release tapes in as-is quality to take the pressure off for copyright purposes, then Dylan, Inc. has time to polish up each show for future releases or a future Bootleg Series release...hmmm.

Guessing they'd probably want to consider time-period-saturation vs. decent-current-demand before pursuing that strategy. Probably done that study already...or will now.

PostPosted: Thu March 3rd, 2016, 09:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Now with more Blood notebooks on their way to Tulsa, betting on a Blood on the Tracks year.

PostPosted: Fri April 1st, 2016, 13:38 GMT 

For whatever it is worth, Anders S on the Swedish L&T blog saw a facebook post with the following text:

New Boot Leg Series. I don't know if this was mentioed before or not. I was in a waiting room today and they had a new issue of Esquire magazine and on the inside of the last page, they had a blurb that Dylan's 'Bootleg Series. Vol 13:The Off Years" will be released later this year. It said it will be 5 discs of out takes, demos, live tracks etc. from 1978-1988. I have not heard, read or seen anything else about this on the pool message board, facebook or a quick google search. I don't know how reputable a source, Esquire is but it isn't like People or US Weekly.

I find myself liking this idea a lot, although - of all sources: 'Esquire Magazine'!

PostPosted: Fri April 1st, 2016, 13:48 GMT 

landlordagain wrote:
For whatever it is worth, Anders S on the Swedish L&T blog saw a facebook post with the following text:

New Boot Leg Series. I don't know if this was mentioed before or not. I was in a waiting room today and they had a new issue of Esquire magazine and on the inside of the last page, they had a blurb that Dylan's 'Bootleg Series. Vol 13:The Off Years" will be released later this year. It said it will be 5 discs of out takes, demos, live tracks etc. from 1978-1988. I have not heard, read or seen anything else about this on the pool message board, facebook or a quick google search. I don't know how reputable a source, Esquire is but it isn't like People or US Weekly.

I find myself liking this idea a lot, although - of all sources: 'Esquire Magazine'!

April Fools?

Whatever the next release, I hope they return more to the format of ASP and TTS. The opened-floodgate approach of The Cutting Edge worked OK as a one-off, but if they keep on doing that sort of thing (such as releasing all of the '66 shows), it would really cheapen the series.

A curated and sequenced '78 to '88 could be extremely interesting, though I doubt that this information is correct.

PostPosted: Fri April 1st, 2016, 13:48 GMT 
Mercury Member

And this issue of the Esquire Magazine came out today did it?

PostPosted: Fri April 1st, 2016, 13:49 GMT 

landlordagain wrote:

It was from the back page of Esquire, which is always satirical.

I posted a screenshot over in the press clippings thread, but I can't find that anywhere.

I agree -- 5 discs from 78 to 88 might be enough, but I'm thinking there is more material there than we can imagine.

1. Slow Train and Saved Outtakes and Alts
2. Shot of Love outtakes alts
3. Infidels outtakes and alts
4. More Infidels (if the recording history is any example) plus Empire Burlesque demos
5. Empire Burlesque and Knocked Out Loaded alternates and outtakes

Not to mention that if you covered this period you would HAVE to include a live show... either Toronto or Avignon, I'd wager.

PostPosted: Fri April 1st, 2016, 14:07 GMT 

Neither the facebook- nor the L&T blog post was posted on April 1st - so no deliberate prank intended, I am sure.

Thanks for enlightening me about Esquire and the satirical nature of that particular page.

Pity, I really like the idea...

It seemed like a possibility since the last thing i read about BOTT outtakes was they haven't found all the tapes yet, or...?

PostPosted: Sat April 2nd, 2016, 07:00 GMT 

Such a collection would be very interesting. It could show this era in a completly different light.
Still, my expectations about this are still very low.
I mean, at the moment the discussion is based on a post where somebody claims to have seen a facebook post by some other person...

PostPosted: Sat April 2nd, 2016, 13:16 GMT 

I have seen that Esquire piece. Clearly a satire.

I think Bootleg Series 13 will be The Blood On The Tracks Sessions. They have used the PR surrounding the DYLAN ARCHIVE in order to remind the general public about the importance of Blood On The Tracks ("the notebook"), which is always a good indication of what their plans are.

They could also do a 1966 World Tour box, given the artistic quality, historical importance, popularity and mythic stature of that era. But I do not think they will do two mid-sixties BS sets in a row and I also think that they consider that tour "done" in terms of mainstream releases with the "Live 1966" set from 1998 and the "No Direction Home" documentary. Then again they have all those (mostly unreleased) Nagra recordings that Pennebaker made on the 1966 tour (including the legendary Paris show!) and 2016 is the last time they could commercially exploit this very important material to its fullest extent. If they do not do it, they will have to make it available as part of an Anniversary Collection later this year to keep the copyright on that stuff (which would somewhat lessen the impact of any future release). In terms of marketing they could piggyback a 1966 World Tour box onto the success of "The Cutting Edge" box and present it as a kind of "The Cutting Edge – LIVE" set.

So, I think there will be a new Bootleg Series set this year and it will probably be The Blood On The Tracks Sessions, with a faint chance remaining of it turning out to be a 1966 World Tour box.

P.S.: The press hoopla that will surround the 75th will give Dylan's people/Columbia/Sony the opportunity to leave all competion in the dust with a "holy grail" release like The Blood On The Tracks Sessions later this year.

PostPosted: Sun April 3rd, 2016, 21:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

P.S.: The press hoopla that will surround the 75th will give Dylan's people/Columbia/Sony the opportunity to leave all competion in the dust with a "holy grail" release like The Blood On The Tracks Sessions later this year.

I think Blood on the Tracks is next as a BS, as well.
The '66 box will be fine as an Anniversary collection.
Blood will sell better.

Judas would say, "I don't want your Blood money!"
Dylan, Inc. will take it, thank you very much.
My check is ready.

PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2016, 00:18 GMT 

Quote:

Do you think it'll be a Blood specific or mid-70's? There are some RTR rehearsals with the Renaldo & Clara versions of I Want You and Sad Eyed Lady that I'd love to fully hear.

PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2016, 01:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

Kiph wrote:
Quote:

Do you think it'll be a Blood specific or mid-70's? There are some RTR rehearsals with the Renaldo & Clara versions of I Want You and Sad Eyed Lady that I'd love to fully hear.

As much as I'd like to see more, I think Blood-specific will work financially for Dylan, Inc.
It'd be wonderful to see some stuff either side of it though!

PostPosted: Mon April 4th, 2016, 21:06 GMT 

Kiph wrote:
Quote:

Well, Dylan's people pretty much announced the box (in a Rolling Stone interview some time ago) as a "Blood On The Tracks Sessions" box. They even mentioned specifics like the existence of an unreleased Bob solo version of the entire album (from the early sessions).

Here's the quote:

Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Eyeing 'Blood on the Tracks' Next
A documentary about the Rolling Thunder Revue is also in the works
By Andy Greene January 23, 2014

"There's a couple of things on our minds, but the natural next one is Blood on the Tracks."

Dylan recorded Blood on the Tracks at New York's A&R Studios with producer Phil Ramone before heading to Sound 80 studio in Minneapolis, Minnesota to re-cut much of the material with a different band. The final album is a mixture of New York and Minneapolis sessions. Some of the tracks that didn't make the LP have been bootlegged, but much remains in the vault.

"During the first couple of days in New York, Bob played the songs solo on acoustic guitar," says the source. "They're very different than anything that's been heard before and they're very special."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... t-20140123

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 00:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

Here's the quote:
Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Eyeing 'Blood on the Tracks' Next
January 23, 2014

"During the first couple of days in New York, Bob played the songs solo on acoustic guitar," says the source. "They're very different than anything that's been heard before and they're very special."

These will be very nice to have around.

PostPosted: Tue April 5th, 2016, 16:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

I really hope this finally appears this year. Between the box set last year, the impending 1966 stuff and the Blood box set, I'll be set. I'll be fine if I don't get any more icing. I'll already have the cake.

PostPosted: Fri April 8th, 2016, 12:03 GMT 

I'm gonna go right on ahead and mash up multiple threads into one joke:

It's time for the Midwestern Masterpiece Outtakes! 1986 Unleashed! Knocked Out Unloaded!!

Yeaaaaaaahhhhh

you're welcome

PostPosted: Mon April 18th, 2016, 11:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

The world is now primed for a Box of Blood.
If it bleeds over into other sessions, before or after, all the better.

PostPosted: Mon April 18th, 2016, 20:22 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
The world is now primed for a Box of Blood.
If it bleeds over into other sessions, before or after, all the better.

74-76 sessions works for me. Nice 6cd set. Please!

PostPosted: Tue April 19th, 2016, 15:12 GMT 

As for the last 3 years I guess we will get a Vol. XIII this year and I hope it includes " Blood on the tracks " material.

Also I am ready for a " Gospel " set, maybe with a DVD included.

Guess what ???

I´ll surely take it cause it is from His Bobness. 8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 35  Next