Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat November 25th, 2017, 09:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 16:00 GMT 

Can anybody enlighten me to as Bob's (alcoholic) drinks of choice through the years. I've read that he liked
cheap red wine in the mid sixties and also that he picked up a liking for Guiness from the Clancy Brothers.
I apologise in advance if this topic has been discussed on ER already.

Post subject: Re: Alcohol
PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 17:44 GMT 

Not really sure on this one, but the drink on the back cover of SITN looks like a dark rum.

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 19:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Interesting thread. Certainly red wine in the sixties, particularly beaujolais. Kentucky bourbon in the early nineties. I remember reading in Ratso's book about rolling thunder lots about Bob's drinking habits but I can't recall the particular tipple. Was it tequila? I've certainly heard rumors that Bob has been largely teetotal since the nineties.

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 19:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

I remember that Victor Maymudes bio saying he gave up drinking 1994, but who knows.

I read a blurb that around 1977-78 Dylan wandered into a recording studio with two women in his arms and swigging from a bottle of Jack Daniels. This was right after the divorce.

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 19:54 GMT 

Brandy for breakfast in 1980s

PostPosted: Mon October 12th, 2015, 20:54 GMT 

I read an interview in Rolling Stone in which he rubbished the claim he was teetotal and said he can take it or leave it

Interviewer: "According to these biographers, it wasn't until you quit drinking — some time in the early 1990s — that your performances and writing really rebounded."

Dylan: "That's completely inaccurate. [Laughs] I can drink or not drink.

PostPosted: Tue October 13th, 2015, 15:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

texasmedicine wrote:
I read an interview in Rolling Stone in which he rubbished the claim he was teetotal and said he can take it or leave it

Interviewer: "According to these biographers, it wasn't until you quit drinking — some time in the early 1990s — that your performances and writing really rebounded."

Dylan: "That's completely inaccurate. [Laughs] I can drink or not drink.

Can't find the source on that one though.

PostPosted: Tue October 13th, 2015, 15:20 GMT 

Can't find the source on that one though.[/quote]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20011122

PostPosted: Tue October 13th, 2015, 16:00 GMT 

In 1985 he supposedly was downing kamikazes like crazy during Live Aid.

PostPosted: Wed November 18th, 2015, 18:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

texasmedicine wrote:
Can't find the source on that one though.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... s-20011122[/quote]

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed November 18th, 2015, 19:50 GMT 

I know he was downing a lot of Remi Martin (cognac) in the early, pre-tour part of Sloman's Rolling Thunder book.

PostPosted: Thu November 19th, 2015, 02:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
Interesting thread. Certainly red wine in the sixties, particularly beaujolais. Kentucky bourbon in the early nineties. I remember reading in Ratso's book about rolling thunder lots about Bob's drinking habits but I can't recall the particular tipple. Was it tequila? I've certainly heard rumors that Bob has been largely teetotal since the nineties.

I remember a 1991 show rider reprinted in Isis long ago that stipulated Kentucky bourbon in his dressing room...so he must have liked it at that time. I believe he gave out his personal recipe for Mojito's on a Theme Time Radio Hour but whether it was really his or just schtick is, of course, unknown.

It wouldn't be unheard of for him to quit drinking in the 90's because it was causing problems but finding, over time, that he had passed that stage of his life and could enjoy a cocktail every now and then.

PostPosted: Wed December 2nd, 2015, 08:57 GMT 

I am not quite sure ...but I guess it is a black rum

PostPosted: Tue June 14th, 2016, 04:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

tyger wrote:
I know he was downing a lot of Remi Martin (cognac) in the early, pre-tour part of Sloman's Rolling Thunder book.

Nice! My drinks of choice are Cognac and Rye myself (as far as the hard stuff goes anyhow)...I've never had Remi Martin Cognac though.

PostPosted: Sat October 29th, 2016, 23:21 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
I remember reading in Ratso's book about rolling thunder lots about Bob's drinking habits but I can't recall the particular tipple. Was it tequila? I've certainly heard rumors that Bob has been largely teetotal since the nineties.

As far as I remember, Ratso has a discussion with Sara in Bob and Sara's room and he notices some expensive wine. He writes something about the difference between the quality of that wine and the cheap alcohol that is available to other musicians in the hotel buffet -or a privatised room-. I should check.

And from Chronicles, shortly before Oh Mercy recording, he mentions Bono coming for dinner with a few friends and a pack of Guinness.

PostPosted: Thu November 3rd, 2016, 12:57 GMT 

Britta Lee Shain's book details a lot about his drinking during that period (and about his (then) love of weed).

PostPosted: Thu November 3rd, 2016, 22:39 GMT 

Sid Griffins basement tapes book talks about him getting up in the morning taking the kids to school, writing a verse or two and then at around lunchtime making coffee for the hungover band at the start of another afternoons recording session.

They were all pis$ed as farts again by tea time but whereas Bob would pull himself together, go home and be a husband / farther the band would carry on till the small hours. So it sounds right to me that he can kind of take or leave it. I'd be phoning Sara saying I'll be late again honey and waking up the next morning under Richards piano with a sore head!

PostPosted: Fri September 1st, 2017, 23:38 GMT 

I've been re-reading Behind The Shades recently, and somewhere in there
is says that in the early 90s he was drinking 3 large Kamikaze's before each show.
Which to be fair to Dylan, is not a lot if he was used to drinking.

PostPosted: Mon September 4th, 2017, 14:33 GMT 
Titanium Member

LibraChild1980 wrote:
is says that in the early 90s he was drinking 3 large Kamikaze's before each show.

Three large, DOUBLE liquor drinks(vodka and triple sec in it) is not light drinking my friend, even for an alchy. And let's remember, alcohol is HARD drug, deadly and addictive. It causes more death and "social wreckage" than all illicit drugs combined.

PostPosted: Tue September 5th, 2017, 01:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Sambuca bottle by the drum kit in 1990.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 05:15 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
LibraChild1980 wrote:

Three large, DOUBLE liquor drinks(vodka and triple sec in it) is not light drinking my friend, even for an alchy. And let's remember, alcohol is HARD drug, deadly and addictive. It causes more death and "social wreckage" than all illicit drugs combined.

If Dylan was used to drinking that amount, he'd be able to function.
I used to tour manage bands in the UK. One band in particular put away
a LOT more than three doubles of spirits.
An average tour day started at 6am, i awake in some god awful hotel and
then go wake the band and van driver up telling them to get some breakfast, they'd generally
appear groggy eyed about ten mins later.
We'd eat breakfast, and be checking out at 7am.
Then we'd be aiming to get to the next venue for around 2pm for soundcheck,
usually i'd grab a crate of 12 cans of beer, between 6 of us, that two cans each.
We'd reach the venue around the 2pm mark. whilst the band ran through a sound
check, the bar would usually be closed but would have someone scurrying around
stocking and clearing up, normally they'd serve me a double brandy and coke.
The bands sound check would tale 15/20 mins so i'd drink two doubles in that
time. When the band got off stage it was time for the pub.
We'd usually have about 3 or 4 beers, and then i'd get them all to a curry house
and we'd all have dinner, i always drank water, but the band would usually
have one or two bottles of beer.
Then back to the venue around 7pm as opening act they'd be on around 7.30pm
so we'd all drink whatever rider we were given, usually cheap red wine,
and bottles of beer and cider, all quickly consumed by the band, at this point
i'd stopped drinking.
The band would take cocaine to liven themselves up (these are grown men not
guys in thier early 20s by the way) and go out and put on a good show.

After that, it was loading out the venue, i'd get payment, then we'd either
drive over night to a venue, or stop at a hotel, if we did that, it was
a night out drinking lots more till the early hours, id be watching over
them not drinking, and by 2am i'd want them back to the hotel
(often earlier if it was a B&B with a curfew).

...what i'm trying to say is, if you think 3 doubles is heavy drinking, then you
have no idea just how much alcohol/drug abuse goes on when a band is touring.
Sure, some bands were tea total, but most of the time, what i described above
would be the usual run of things, although i did tour manage a punk band
that were drinking 3 litres of 9% cider all day and would sound like shit on stage,
but those crowds never seemed to care....

Alcohol is a killer, no doubt about it, but i'm merely telling you how it actually
is on tour, abuse of alcohol is rife, as is cocaine.

I dont tour manage anymore, and i never had a drink habit, i could take it or
leave it, the bands, who knows how they behaved off tour.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 05:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

Three doubles, if I have my math right, is the same as a six pack of beer...and with a few tokes or snorts or anythings that really is just where the alcohol buzz starts getting "really good". I have no trouble believing a touring performer could drink 3 strong drinks before shows. Especially if they had GE Smith to rescue any crazy ideas they might have.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 12:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

In my heavier drinking years, I could order three doubles at the bar and have finished them by the time I'd crossed the dancefloor. I suggest chrome horse samples the drinking culture in Scotland... 3 doubles would be considered a 'quiet one'.

I'm not celebrating any of that, by the way.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 12:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

Dylan is a lightweight, though that may be for the best.

However....

My old bass player - reasonably well known on the 'underground' rock circuit in the 70s - was at a Link Wray gig in Camden Town many years ago, in the backstage bar, when who should stroll in but Dylan, with an entourage all fawning over him and ordering champagne. My mate is a down to earth fellow, and just said "Hallo Bob, let me buy you a pint" Dylan was visibly glad to leave the champagne drinkers, and had two pints of Bass (a brand of Bitter beer, for those unfamiliar with it) - nothing poncy about Bob. He seemed glad to pass the time with someone who, though obviously glad to meet him, just wanted to shoot the breeze over a couple of bevvies.

Oh, and Link Wray is a close relation of God.

PostPosted: Wed September 27th, 2017, 14:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

gibsona07 wrote:
In my heavier drinking years, I could order three doubles at the bar and have finished them by the time I'd crossed the dancefloor. I suggest chrome horse samples the drinking culture in Scotland... 3 doubles would be considered a 'quiet one'.

I'm not celebrating any of that, by the way.

I wasn't thorough enough in my above statement and you experts have wasted a lot of words thinking you are bringing me up to speed on this subject. I'm one of the foremost experts on the planet.

My original statement, that 3 large double liquor drinks is a heavy dose - is correct and on the money. Some people might pass out from that amount - alcohol effects people differently, as we have all seen. In any state in America, you will be charged with "driving while intoxicated" because of your blood alcohol level from 3 double liqueur drinks.

As several have noted, people who drink a lot, and there are millions of that type, build up a resistance and can easily handle huge quantities of alcohol and still function. And I need no enlightenment on musicians drinking habits. I've done some promoting, managing, bar tending, and have had a lot of musician friends over the years. The problem gets bad with them because, once you get into cocaine and opiates, they over ride the debilitating effects of alcohol and kind of turbo charge your energy level. I used to call cocaine a "psychic tow truck", because of it's ability to pull one out of a drunken stupor. Opiates are very similar. Back in the 1980's coke was very popular and I used to try it now and then but never really liked it - it made me paranoid. And the long term problem for musicians is that with
the massive abuse with alcohol and the other drugs really destroys them, and often kills them. The list of casualties is long and continual.

In the last couple of years I quit drink completely - even though I was never a heavy drinker. I found I had a problem developing in my pancreas that was alcohol related, and assumed I must have some defect for that.

So now I just smoke a little pot - the safest drug on the planet - and a "life enhancing" drug.

Alcohol causes more death and "social wreckage" than illicit drugs combined, but most people don't even consider it to be a drug - thanks to clever marketing by the alcohol beverage industry. Some people will say "I don't do drugs - I drink beer", not realizing the total ignorance of that statement.

And I'm not anti alcohol - it's a fun drug - in moderation. I perfected the margarita - a great drink.

My favorite alcohol story is from the civil war. Some old ladies went to see President Lincoln at the White House, complaining that General Grant was drinking on the job.
Lincoln stood up and turned to his private secretary, John Hay -

"What, General Grant is drinking on the job?
Secretary Hay, find out exactly what General Grant is drinking
and have barrel of it sent to every general in the union army!"