Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 03:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 07:29 GMT 

I've heard the missing BoTT tape(s) story previously, can't remember where from though.

Not sure how interested I would be with a set entirely focused on BoTT. The nice thing about Cutting Edge is its such an overwhelming set with so many different songs, you can hear the evolution of all the classics. BoTT sessions has what, like 11.5 different songs? It's probably my favorite album of all time but I dunno how interesting it could be, though the solo session sounds really intriguing.

Personally hoping for an ASP/TTS style BS ranging from Pat Garrett to Desire, maybe a few live tracks thrown here and there. Although what are they going to do with John Wesley Harding? I don't think there's enough material to warrant its own Bootleg Series, maybe Jelly Roll is onto something with just throwing the best outtakes onto this one. Otherwise its just going to slip into 2017's copyright set.

All I know is I'm definitely not hoping for anything that has to do with the 65/66 concerts. I'm more inclined to the late 65 concerts just because there's more of a mystique to them, but all of those will be released next month with the Copyright Collection. BS4 already perfectly represented the 1966 World Tour and Jewels and Binoculars give you a fine picture of the rest. As much as I would like to hear the complete Royal Albert Hall concerts, its time to stop milking the 60s.

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 12:32 GMT 

XZYOE wrote:
All I know is I'm definitely not hoping for anything that has to do with the 65/66 concerts. I'm more inclined to the late 65 concerts just because there's more of a mystique to them, but all of those will be released next month with the Copyright Collection. BS4 already perfectly represented the 1966 World Tour and Jewels and Binoculars give you a fine picture of the rest. As much as I would like to hear the complete Royal Albert Hall concerts, its time to stop milking the 60s.

Is this really happening? :shock: 8)

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 12:41 GMT 

Mark Elphick wrote:
XZYOE wrote:

Is this really happening? :shock: 8)

It would be ridiculous if it didn't happen: why would they allow the '65 shows to expire into the public domain?

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 12:43 GMT 

Of course it is. Every existing sounds made by Bob were released in these collections, even those of horrendous quality like Philadelphia 64. So, if you live in Europe, be prepared to search in every brick and mortars stores for a white box with a colorful stamp :lol:

However, don't expect too much of the electric shows. Forrest Hills will not be improved according to the BBC program we listened to last month. The only surprises are coming from Carnegie Hall, the Woodstock rehearsals with the Band, and an enhanced Berkeley show. I don't believe we would have a demo of Love Is Just A Four Letter Word or anything like that though :cry:

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 12:47 GMT 

Hopefully they'll do a CD version :roll:

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 12:56 GMT 

Mark Elphick wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They won't. They understood the problem with the 1962 collection and now they have their own design, which is kind of good for a copyright collection compare to the Beach Boys (62-65) or the Beatles (63). It looks like Great White Wonder revisited every year :D . The quality isn't always there, so there is no need to give it a CD treatment.

Here's the last Beach Boys collection for instance: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016 ... eluxeed-21

I don't want Dylan to get this kind of format.

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 13:57 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
Mark Elphick wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: They won't. They understood the problem with the 1962 collection and now they have their own design, which is kind of good for a copyright collection compare to the Beach Boys (62-65) or the Beatles (63). It looks like Great White Wonder revisited every year :D . The quality isn't always there, so there is no need to give it a CD treatment.

Here's the last Beach Boys collection for instance: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016 ... eluxeed-21

I see what you mean, I guess you're right, it's just a shame for us few non-vinyl people :lol:

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 21:46 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
However, don't expect too much of the electric shows. Forrest Hills will not be improved according to the BBC program we listened to last month. The only surprises are coming from Carnegie Hall, the Woodstock rehearsals with the Band, and an enhanced Berkeley show. I don't believe we would have a demo of Love Is Just A Four Letter Word or anything like that though :cry:

Do we know for sure there's a tape of Carnegie Hall and a better sounding Berkeley show?

PostPosted: Tue November 10th, 2015, 22:21 GMT 

XZYOE wrote:
BobDylan66 wrote:

Do we know for sure there's a tape of Carnegie Hall and a better sounding Berkeley show?

For Carnegie, rumors said super-collectors have it, like the Woodstock rehearsals. For Berkeley, Bobsboots noted several audience sources coming out since the 90's. Some are definitely listenable, far better than the Philadelphia show of 64 for instance. We can maybe expect some shows to be recorded professionally at the time. Berkeley could have been used as a warm-up for the World Tour and gave Bob some inspiration for BoB sessions. So he would have needed a trace of his concert :roll:

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 13:41 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
Mark Elphick wrote:

People close to the source say it will be a CD release this time.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 13:46 GMT 

BobDylan66 wrote:
For Carnegie, rumors said super-collectors have it, like the Woodstock rehearsals. For Berkeley, Bobsboots noted several audience sources coming out since the 90's. Some are definitely listenable, far better than the Philadelphia show of 64 for instance. We can maybe expect some shows to be recorded professionally at the time. Berkeley could have been used as a warm-up for the World Tour and gave Bob some inspiration for BoB sessions. So he would have needed a trace of his concert :roll:

The best Berkeley 1965 version to date is on this boot: http://www.bobsboots.com/CDs/cd-l60.html
The current consensus is that the acoustic half of the show was not taped.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 13:51 GMT 

Back to the topic of Bootleg Series 13. My guess is "Blood On The Tracks"-sessions.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 15:34 GMT 

XZYOE wrote:
I've heard the missing BoTT tape(s) story previously, can't remember where from though.

Not sure how interested I would be with a set entirely focused on BoTT. The nice thing about Cutting Edge is its such an overwhelming set with so many different songs, you can hear the evolution of all the classics. BoTT sessions has what, like 11.5 different songs? It's probably my favorite album of all time but I dunno how interesting it could be, though the solo session sounds really intriguing.

Personally hoping for an ASP/TTS style BS ranging from Pat Garrett to Desire, maybe a few live tracks thrown here and there. Although what are they going to do with John Wesley Harding? I don't think there's enough material to warrant its own Bootleg Series, maybe Jelly Roll is onto something with just throwing the best outtakes onto this one. Otherwise its just going to slip into 2017's copyright set.

The more I think about, the more I think you're right.

With the copyright law issue in mind, I'm thinking that a 72/3-76/8 set is more likely. I doubt they have all the session reels from that period anyway, and if they do then I'm guessing that they might add up to a similar length to the Cutting Edge material... anyone care to correct me?

If so, a best of/deluxe/collectors edition model 'mid 70s' release could make sense. Maybe followed by a 79-81 set, and a 83-89 one, and so on. This way they monetise the 'copyright extension' sets, while also making a ton on the curated selections. And this way they don't lose the 'small stuff ' like the Pat Garrett sessions that otherwise wouldn't justify a release of their own. They can then return to live volumes, like another stab at Live 1974 and Live 1976... indeed any year.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 15:45 GMT 

BS 13 - Its Cold and BOTT

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 16:32 GMT 

rolling_thunder wrote:
I hope they f*ck off with the 60's for the next 3 or 4 releases of The Bootleg series. We already got more than enough of that stuff out there. Let's cover some other portions of the guys career already.

Agree.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 21:19 GMT 

Having just received the 18 CD version of BS12 the following is mentioned on page 59 of the booklet. "Dylan played many live shows during that time period (i.e. 65/66) which will hopefully be collected in a subsequent edition of The Bootleg Series." It would be great to have such an edition, especially if it would include shows not previously circulated, including Paris 1966. However, a number of shows showing how the sound developed from 1965 to 1966 would be intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 22:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

A 1973-1974 Planet Waves / Blood on The Tracks set presented like the Cutting Edge might be nice. If one thinks there's not enough stone cold BoTT material to make a decent set.

Maybe there's a few unreleased live tracks from that big tour that would be good to throw in as well - as it wends it's way to BoTT.

If not, than just all the BoTT stuff. Hope to see it in 6-8 months. :P I've not even given but a cursory listen some of my Cutting Edge set. I will get into it pretty soon, though.

PostPosted: Wed November 11th, 2015, 23:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

Arkady wrote:
XZYOE wrote:
If so, a best of/deluxe/collectors edition model 'mid 70s' release could make sense.

Please, Dylan, Inc., no more "Best Of's". The Stones drove me crazy with that.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 12:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

I am happy to keep the sixties going.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 12:51 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Hinted at by Dylan's people:
- Blood On The Tracks sessions (including previously unknown solo version of the entire album)
- Gospel era (live and studio)
- 1978 tour (focus on later shows)
- Sydney 1986
- "pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses"
- Infidels sessions
- Oh Mercy sessions

My suggestions:
- The Jokers acetate (Bob's first band recorded in 1956)
- Karen Wallace tape 1960 (maybe not as a mainstream BS release, but perhaps as a vinyl only Record Store Day release in the style of the early Great White Wonder vinyl bootlegs)
- Rundown Studios era 1977-1981 (1977 "I'm Cold" demos, if extant, 1978 "Street Legal" piano demos, if extant)
- Infidels/Empire Burlesque/Knocked Out Loaded/HoF Sessions 1982–1986
[Blind Willie McTell (electric/band version), Julius And Ethel, Union Sundown ("man in the mask in the white house"-version), duets with Clydie King (1982), Almost Done, Dirty Lies, Enough Is Enough, New Danville Girl, Freedom For The Stallion, To Fall In Love With You etc.]
- 1987 Down In The Groove sessions (including reconstruction of the original version of the album)
- 1989–2009 round up of outtakes/demos/rarities
[1989 Emlah Court sessions (including God Knows piano demo), Twenty-One Years (WGW outtake, 1993), Hello Stranger (WGW outtake, 1993), Goodnight My Love (WGW outtake, 1993), I'm Not Supposed To Care (outtake, 1994), One Night Of Sin (outtake, 1994), Easy Rider (Don't Deny My Name) (outtake, 1994), My Blue Eyed Jane (alternate version, 1994), 1996 Oxnard sessions, Shake Sugaree (TOOM outtake, 1997), Tell Ol' Bill ("rockabilly“ version, outtake, 2005), Vigilante Man (The People Speak outtake, 2009) etc.]
- 1990 Under The Red Sky (rough mix version, live in the studio, no overdubs, untouched by Don Was) [vinyl only Record Store Day release]
- unreleased album recorded in Chicago in 1992
- 1984 tour (London or Brussels 06/07, Rome 06/21, Barcelona 06/28)
- 1987 entire tour with the Grateful Dead
- 1987 entire Temples In Flames tour

- 1988 early "Never-Ending Tour" show(s) [Concord, Sacramento, Berkeley, Mountain View, East Troy, Wantagh]

Really wondering what the 85 Disc Collectors Edition is going to cost...

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 13:32 GMT 

I'd love a 72-76 compilation, with BOTT as a centerpiece for a BS13 release, but I could happily wait another year for it if we would get a '66 CD/DVD package consisting of Eat The Document, Something Is Happening Here and a 66 concert clips collection - all from the Pennebaker footage, plus a CD of the Paris concert, rumored to have been recorded by CBS.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 14:01 GMT 

landlordagain wrote:
I'd love a 72-76 compilation, with BOTT as a centerpiece for a BS13 release, but I could happily wait another year for it if we would get a '66 CD/DVD package consisting of Eat The Document, Something Is Happening Here and a 66 concert clips collection - all from the Pennebaker footage, plus a CD of the Paris concert, rumored to have been recorded by CBS.

Not CBS by the way, it was recorded by french radio station Europe 1. Bob didn't like it and CBS decided to shelve it.

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 14:45 GMT 

Clapberry wrote:
My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Hinted at by Dylan's people:
- Blood On The Tracks sessions (including previously unknown solo version of the entire album)
- Gospel era (live and studio)
- 1978 tour (focus on later shows)
- Sydney 1986
- "pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses"
- Infidels sessions
- Oh Mercy sessions

My suggestions:
- The Jokers acetate (Bob's first band recorded in 1956)
- Karen Wallace tape 1960 (maybe not as a mainstream BS release, but perhaps as a vinyl only Record Store Day release in the style of the early Great White Wonder vinyl bootlegs)
- Rundown Studios era 1977-1981 (1977 "I'm Cold" demos, if extant, 1978 "Street Legal" piano demos, if extant)
- Infidels/Empire Burlesque/Knocked Out Loaded/HoF Sessions 1982–1986
[Blind Willie McTell (electric/band version), Julius And Ethel, Union Sundown ("man in the mask in the white house"-version), duets with Clydie King (1982), Almost Done, Dirty Lies, Enough Is Enough, New Danville Girl, Freedom For The Stallion, To Fall In Love With You etc.]
- 1987 Down In The Groove sessions (including reconstruction of the original version of the album)
- 1989–2009 round up of outtakes/demos/rarities
[1989 Emlah Court sessions (including God Knows piano demo), Twenty-One Years (WGW outtake, 1993), Hello Stranger (WGW outtake, 1993), Goodnight My Love (WGW outtake, 1993), I'm Not Supposed To Care (outtake, 1994), One Night Of Sin (outtake, 1994), Easy Rider (Don't Deny My Name) (outtake, 1994), My Blue Eyed Jane (alternate version, 1994), 1996 Oxnard sessions, Shake Sugaree (TOOM outtake, 1997), Tell Ol' Bill ("rockabilly“ version, outtake, 2005), Vigilante Man (The People Speak outtake, 2009) etc.]
- 1990 Under The Red Sky (rough mix version, live in the studio, no overdubs, untouched by Don Was) [vinyl only Record Store Day release]
- unreleased album recorded in Chicago in 1992
- 1984 tour (London or Brussels 06/07, Rome 06/21, Barcelona 06/28)
- 1987 entire tour with the Grateful Dead
- 1987 entire Temples In Flames tour

- 1988 early "Never-Ending Tour" show(s) [Concord, Sacramento, Berkeley, Mountain View, East Troy, Wantagh]

Really wondering what the 85 Disc Collectors Edition is going to cost...

Interested in the "Sydney 1986" show, as I haven't heard that one. Was that the Empire Burlesque tour? Really, I'm just wanting any bootleg series release that has to do with 80s material. Like many others, although classic, I'm tired of the 60s. Let's get some variety!

PostPosted: Mon November 16th, 2015, 15:42 GMT 

I hope it will be Blood on the Tracks before I die or get too old to care.

PostPosted: Tue November 17th, 2015, 11:47 GMT 

Sajad wrote:
XZYOE wrote:
I'm more inclined to the late 65 concerts just because there's more of a mystique to them, but all of those will be released next month with the Copyright Collection.

It looks like you're right... hopefully.

Bob Dylan ‎– The 50th Anniversary Collection - Dec. 27th, 2012

Bob Dylan ‎– 50th Anniversary Collection 1963 - Dec. 2nd, 2013

Bob Dylan ‎– 50th Anniversary Collection 1964 - Dec. 8th, 2014

Bob Dylan - 50th Anniversary Collection 1965 - Dec. ???, 2015

I have a feeling the 1965 collection is going to be good. Is this a hopeful indication that we will get the Carnegie Hall 1965 performance?

I'll go for December 7th: previous releases were on monday and I don't see it on November 30th. The 14th seems a bit too far compared to the other dates. I am prepared to search in every brick and mortar stores in my city this time :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next