Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 19:09 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 05:04 GMT 

Can you imagine how bored the band members must be
Sorry Bob, you aren't Sinatra and this isn't your usual high caliber of creativity on stage

Please move on to your next period ASAP (if he reads this of course he will stubbornly persevere)

What is the over/under on when the setlists will change regularly again? Wake me up and I'll start checking these Tour pages again once there's something interesting to see or listen to - this isn't working

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 05:28 GMT 

Do it in caps for more fanrage.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 05:29 GMT 

Over/under has to be close to never - he's getting his kicks somehow or other

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 05:43 GMT 

Go on. Intervene then.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 05:56 GMT 

Half of the people that spend their time moaning about the setlists arent even going to a show, they are fans who spend every night religiously following the set but they aren't even attending the show.

My opinion is that Shadows in the night is a beautiful album and if it were his own material it would get far more praise but fans can't get their heads round the concept of Bob singing songs Sinatra recorded. Now I've always liked the album since it came out but I didn't expect him to play any of the material live and I think even if I agree that he is doing too many songs off Sinatra it's a brave move and only makes me dig him even more.

God willing of course its a phrase he's going through Bob has always gone through phases hasn't he? The only thing stopping Bob not having a stab at something else would be the sands of time running out. As it is us Dylan fans have been spoilt by his long career.

As far as I'm concerned he could have ended his career with two or three albums like Together Through Life and I'd have been happy with that because no one has given us as much I think both Tempest and Shadows In the night shocked me and have me wondering what Bob would have up his sleeve next given the chance.

Don't worry about the set concept sucking my friend, because there will be no setlist soon, so maybe even if he is baffling you we should be thankful of that because it wouldn't be Bob Dylan if he didn't leave us scratching our heads.

Now play something from Christmas In the heart, thatll really x them up LOL

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 07:11 GMT 

I haven't seen Bob since 2009; a horrible Liverpool Echo appearance was the tipping point in deciding there were more worthwhile ways to spend one's time and money. I decided at the last minute to get a ticket for one of the Royal Albert Hall gigs and I'm looking forward to it. I'm one of those people who has witnessed very few of the songs that are being currently performed. Am I huge fan of Sinatra, or even what Dylan is doing live now? Not particularly, but I know what to expect and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Similarly would I consider going to more than one gig in a particular run anymore? No. I've seen enough Dylan gigs to last me. The guy's 74. His most creative years are a long way behind him. The deals still the same as it's always been; take it or leave it. 'If you don't like me...'.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 07:45 GMT 

Desolation Row wrote:
Half of the people that spend their time moaning about the setlists arent even going to a show, they are fans who spend every night religiously following the set but they aren't even attending the show

More than half I would say .

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 09:01 GMT 

It's Sinatra's 100th Birthday year and Bob is clearly celebrating that in his own way. Respect due for that. He can do what he likes.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 09:05 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
It's Sinatra's 100th Birthday year and Bob is clearly celebrating that in his own way. Respect due for that. He can do what he likes.

Exactly

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 09:45 GMT 

nocda2 wrote:

Yes, bored and/or underwhelmed. And that's been visible on stage at times. Still, I don't think anyone should feel all that sorry for them: if they're bored with the set, they can just quit. I'm sure there's plenty of musicians out there who would love to take their place and perform the same set night after night.

Besides, most of them actually seem pretty happy most of the time. Even if they'd prefer to play other songs or different versions of the songs in the set (who wouldn't?), they know exactly what they signed up for and they keep doing a good job at performing what Bob wants and how he wants it.

I'm not a big fan of the Sinatra thingy (there's only a couple of songs I really like and only 1 of them is part of the current set list), but I have to admit that their versions sound great and Bob seems really happy about it.

In the end, this is Bob's show and it's up to him to decide what the show looks like. Those who think his concept sucks, should simply stay away from it.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 09:50 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:

It's Jesus's 2015th birthday but we won't be hearing Gotta Serve Somebody any time soon.

Possibly the "Repentance Tour" in about 5 years time. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 10:16 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
nocda2 wrote:
if they're bored with the set, they can just quit.

And the same goes for fans.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 10:56 GMT 

The only thing annoying about the set is that when you're there you know what's coming next. the performances are almost always to a very high standard.

Personally, I love Shadows in the Night. Swing / crooner material is some of my favourite music so personally hearing Dylan performing it, and performing it so well, is a dream mix for me! The emotion he gets out of songs like the night we called it a day and autumn leaves is great, so the predictability is dull but the performances aren't

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 11:09 GMT 

undertheredsky wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

It's Jesus's 2015th birthday but we won't be hearing Gotta Serve Somebody any time soon.

Possibly the "Repentance Tour" in about 5 years time. :wink:

Bob doesn't perform on Christmas Day.

And anyway, Christmas In The Heart is the present that keeps on giving (pain).

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 11:49 GMT 

nocda2 wrote:
Sorry Bob, you aren't Sinatra and this isn't your usual high caliber of creativity on stage

Please move on to your next period ASAP (if he reads this of course he will stubbornly persevere)

What is the over/under on when the setlists will change regularly again? Wake me up and I'll start checking these Tour pages again once there's something interesting to see or listen to - this isn't working

Booooo..

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 11:52 GMT 

Sandy wrote:
Those who think his concept sucks, should simply stay away from it.

Been true since 1966

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 12:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Bard wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Those who think his concept sucks, should simply stay away from it.

Been true since 1966

Or earlier.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 13:33 GMT 

bobfan wrote:
I haven't seen Bob since 2009; a horrible Liverpool Echo appearance was the tipping point in deciding there were more worthwhile ways to spend one's time and money. I decided at the last minute to get a ticket for one of the Royal Albert Hall gigs and I'm looking forward to it. I'm one of those people who has witnessed very few of the songs that are being currently performed. Am I huge fan of Sinatra, or even what Dylan is doing live now? Not particularly, but I know what to expect and I've adjusted my expectations accordingly. Similarly would I consider going to more than one gig in a particular run anymore? No. I've seen enough Dylan gigs to last me. The guy's 74. His most creative years are a long way behind him. The deals still the same as it's always been; take it or leave it. 'If you don't like me...'.

The shows are way, way better than whatever he was doing in '09.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 14:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

the show could have been played in small clubs around the midwest, that would have been cool.

learned that from Buddy Guy, the hardest working man in show business.

but hey, the songs were sung by Frank as his favorite, Debussy, so all's in accord.

The Girl with the Flaxen Hair - Claude Debussy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu4KObwynSc

“I'm the golden eternity in mortal animate form.”
― Jack Kerouac, The Scripture of the Golden Eternity

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 14:38 GMT 

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
bobfan wrote:

The shows are way, way better than whatever he was doing in '09.

Also '12 and '13.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 14:49 GMT 

I like Bob in this form to be honest. It seems his blues shout or "croak" has gone down to as much as he can help it. He seems to put more emphasis on a clearer voice. When I saw him a year ago, it was rough to hear as I didn't know every song yet on The Set. Now I can go in 2016 (assuming the set lives), and hear it with a fresh perspective and enjoy it more so.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 16:17 GMT 

If people thought 2007 to 2012 Bob shows were good, I would gladly see any shows they consider bad

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 16:29 GMT 

These threads invite a more general question: was there ever a time when every Dylan fan was happy?

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 16:37 GMT 

The shows are way, way better than whatever he was doing in '09.[/quote]

Also '12 and '13.[/quote]

I agree, although that really isn't saying much.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 16:38 GMT 

Maybe the first 6 months he had "fans"?