Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 20:20 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next
PostPosted: Sun September 27th, 2015, 14:39 GMT 

I'm dying that this topic has already been started. We really are certifiable. :lol:

OK, now that THAT'S out of the way. I know there are people who want to see the BOTT release next, but I want to put my vote in for the Gospel years material to be released next. Please, pretty please, with sugar on top? That material has been almost completely neglected by the Bootleg Series, except for a couple tracks on BS Vol. 3.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 05:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fair Play wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:
Collectors editions are fine for people like me.

Old men?

you did not use my whole post in your qoute . that says it all.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 11:11 GMT 

60's, pretty much covered, including extended basement tapes, selfportrait. Mid 70's also. BOTT outtakes, ny versions etc plus Rolling Thunder/ Desire. Them bootlegs are fine. I'm very interested in New Morning/Planet waves and Street Legal/ gospel/ Shot of love periods, although, again, bootlegs are filling the gap. Not sure about the 80's stuff, unless one can revisit ie de-reverb that time period, put out an 80's album including Oh Mercy outtakes. Don't think there's enough material for multiples.Maybe some 90's stuff. The well is running dry i think..

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 11:53 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
faerie queen wrote:
I'm dying that this topic has already been started. We really are certifiable. :lol:

OK, now that THAT'S out of the way. I know there are people who want to see the BOTT release next, but I want to put my vote in for the Gospel years material to be released next. Please, pretty please, with sugar on top? That material has been almost completely neglected by the Bootleg Series, except for a couple tracks on BS Vol. 3.

yes, Gospel, Gospel, Gospel and Gospel with sugar and nimbus on top!

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 12:56 GMT 

BotT, yes yes yes. Gospel, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, Dylan's worst ever period.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 14:34 GMT 

What I'd like to see (and this isn't really future releases so bear with me) are the older volumes reissued on vinyl. I'd really really like to have Live 1975 in the format but the prices online are horrendous. Maybe Music On Vinyl could get on that...

please?

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 18:09 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Collectors editions are fine for people like me, however not everyone can afford high prices.

Sorry I missed the full quote, I was reading 'Patronising for Beginners' at the time.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 19:05 GMT 

I'd love another BS 1-3 or Genuine Bootleg Series format that goes from early Bob to mod Bob. Having some gems in pristine/sbd quality (Mr. Tambourine Man with Garth on accordion in '74, One Too Many Mornings in '78 without the fillers we've had on BTF and Budokan).

It would also be far more justifiable spending a huge amount of money (I say this; I ordered the 18 CD BS 12!) on any deluxe edition, even for the average fan, as you are not inundated with repeats or similar versions from previous albums.

BS 12 Deluxe will contain some gems no doubt about it, but it will certainly be a chore to wade through it at times.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 19:12 GMT 

faerie queen wrote:
I want to put my vote in for the Gospel years material to be released next. Please, pretty please, with sugar on top? That material has been almost completely neglected by the Bootleg Series, except for a couple tracks on BS Vol. 3.

Gospel years as well as NET have been completely ignored so far.

I'd like to see
1) a live show from '79 or '80
2) either the Supper Club or a 1999-2001 live compilation

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 20:05 GMT 

Like to see a love and theft one

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 20:57 GMT 

Hinted at by Dylan's people:
- Blood On The Tracks sessions (including previously unknown solo version of the entire album)
- Gospel era (live and studio)
- 1978 tour (focus on later shows)
- Sydney 1986
- "pre-album stuff where Bob is just singing songs in Greenwich Village coffeehouses"
- Infidels sessions
- Oh Mercy sessions

My suggestions:
- The Jokers acetate (Bob's first band recorded in 1956)
- Karen Wallace tape 1960 (maybe not as a mainstream BS release, but perhaps as a vinyl only Record Store Day release in the style of the early Great White Wonder vinyl bootlegs)
- Rundown Studios era 1977-1981 (1977 "I'm Cold" demos, if extant, 1978 "Street Legal" piano demos, if extant)
- Infidels/Empire Burlesque/Knocked Out Loaded/HoF Sessions 1982–1986
[Blind Willie McTell (electric/band version), Julius And Ethel, Union Sundown ("man in the mask in the white house"-version), duets with Clydie King (1982), Almost Done, Dirty Lies, Enough Is Enough, New Danville Girl, Freedom For The Stallion, To Fall In Love With You etc.]
- 1987 Down In The Groove sessions (including reconstruction of the original version of the album)
- 1989–2009 round up of outtakes/demos/rarities
[1989 Emlah Court sessions (including God Knows piano demo), Twenty-One Years (WGW outtake, 1993), Hello Stranger (WGW outtake, 1993), Goodnight My Love (WGW outtake, 1993), I'm Not Supposed To Care (outtake, 1994), One Night Of Sin (outtake, 1994), Easy Rider (Don't Deny My Name) (outtake, 1994), My Blue Eyed Jane (alternate version, 1994), 1996 Oxnard sessions, Shake Sugaree (TOOM outtake, 1997), Tell Ol' Bill ("rockabilly“ version, outtake, 2005), Vigilante Man (The People Speak outtake, 2009) etc.]
- 1990 Under The Red Sky (rough mix version, live in the studio, no overdubs, untouched by Don Was) [vinyl only Record Store Day release]
- unreleased album recorded in Chicago in 1992
- 1984 tour (London or Brussels 06/07, Rome 06/21, Barcelona 06/28)
- 1987 entire tour with the Grateful Dead
- 1987 entire Temples In Flames tour
- 1988 early "Never-Ending Tour" show(s) [Concord, Sacramento, Berkeley, Mountain View, East Troy, Wantagh]

Last edited by My Echo, My Shadow And Me on Mon September 28th, 2015, 21:06 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 21:03 GMT 
Titanium Member

mjmooney wrote:
BotT, yes yes yes. Gospel, wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, Dylan's worst ever period.

I can't imagine that Gospel era bootlegs would offer me anything that I don't already have so I'm not as excited about that release as others seem to be. The Blood on the Tracks sessions I guess could be interesting, but I'm kinda meh on that as well.

I don't really feel the need to hear outtakes for albums that are already perfect. I'd rather see stuff that was left on the cutting room floor in later years or in less celebrated eras.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 21:23 GMT 

mjmooney wrote:

Don't forget 1990-1992 though.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 22:08 GMT 

Just theorizing here, but something from the whole 1974-76 era seems most likely, for no better reason than it was nearly actually announced a while back. It would appear that the Dylan camp figured that Paul McCartney and his solicitors would sort through the whole EU copyright thing on their behalf, and when that didn't happen in time, they were kind of caught with their pants down (as fascinating as the music is, the 1962 copyright extension set was executed rather sloppily.)

I just don't want to go out on a limb and predict a "Blood On The Tracks" set, rather than a "mid-70's" set. Two of my favorite BS releases, "Tell Tale Signs" and "Another Self Portrait", were each thoughtfully assembled to create a unique musical mosaic, rather than simply churn through a batch of outtakes. It is my hope that somebody with vault access could put together a wide range of interesting stuff ranging from "Pat Garrett" through "Renaldo And Clara" and somehow create an interesting narrative for that particular era of Dylan's career.

PostPosted: Mon September 28th, 2015, 22:29 GMT 

Just as Another Self Portrait was not merely outtakes from Self Portrait, but rather spanned SP, NS, and NM, I think a BOTT release would also span a territory, including at least Desire, but also maybe JWH and PG.

That is what I am waiting for. I think, since they have already alluded to unreleased tracks a-plenty, this would be an amazing release.

I would also enjoy the gospel years, but would be very disappointed if BOTT did not come first.

PostPosted: Tue September 29th, 2015, 02:41 GMT 

Jelly Roll wrote:
Just as Another Self Portrait was not merely outtakes from Self Portrait, but rather spanned SP, NS, and NM, I think a BOTT release would also span a territory, including at least Desire, but also maybe JWH and PG.

John Wesley Harding? That wouldn't make any sense as part of a Blood on the Tracks, etc set. Perhaps you meant Planet Waves?

But yeah anyways to pitch in, I think the sets that I would like to see in the near future are as follows...

• Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid, Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks, Desire and Street-Legal all on one Another Self Portrait type set. However I could see it just being a Blood on the Tracks set as that album itself is quite marketable on it's own. Me though, I'm not sure there's a lot of unreleased stuff left in that well, and I think we could get some very cool stuff from the surrounding albums, like "Goodbye Holly", "Crosswind Jamboree", "Money Blues", "Coming from the Heart" and whatever else. I think it would be a cool set.
  • The Gospel years would be amazing as well. A lot of unreleased songs, some live, some studio.
  • Supper Club. I think that would be a great set. What I've heard has been awesome. And "Ring Them Bells" on Tell Tale Signs from the Supper Club is absolutely beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue September 29th, 2015, 03:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

Fair Play wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:
Collectors editions are fine for people like me, however not everyone can afford high prices.

Sorry I missed the full quote, I was reading 'Patronising for Beginners' at the time.

not a problem :D

PostPosted: Tue September 29th, 2015, 04:07 GMT 

Quote:
John Wesley Harding? That wouldn't make any sense as part of a Blood on the Tracks, etc set. Perhaps you meant Planet Waves?

Yeah, that is what I intended. It would be fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue September 29th, 2015, 05:04 GMT 

I agree, though perhaps Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks & Desire would be better as a cohesive whole, with Street-Legal being included in the Born-Again phase? Similar style of music and there's no doubt about the religious overtones of Street-Legal while still coming before his public conversion.

On the conversation of John Wesley Harding, if there were any unreleased songs, I feel they would have been released on Another Self Portrait. I think it's safe to say that the only outtakes from JWH are alternate versions of what's on the LP.

PostPosted: Fri October 16th, 2015, 23:37 GMT 
Promethium Member

The so-called Religious Trilogy has tons of good outtakes waiting for professional refinement.
Don't know if Dylan, Inc. can stomach those this soon though.

PostPosted: Sat October 17th, 2015, 00:36 GMT 

Instead of Shadows in the Night 2 being released we will have the remaining songs packaged with 100 page booklet and marketed at appropriate price as "Lingering Shadows BS 13."

Mark my words.

PostPosted: Sun November 8th, 2015, 12:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

OK, Cutting Edge ain't bad.
As suspected, gonna have to make my own set out of the this for casual listening.
Yes, 6 discs is enough...disc 3 is TOO much, but good for inquisitive insight when one has the time (when is that?).

Still really enjoying Another Self Portrait & Complete Basements.
Those two releases, plus Cutting = 18 discs...perfect.

Dylan, Inc. is doing a nice job with these last 3 Bootleg Series sets, so kudos, cheers & hats off to those responsible!

I'm ready to fork over more cash for the next set even though there ain't enough time to fully absorb these.

Blood? Gospel? Other impending Copyright expirations?

Bring it on!

PostPosted: Sun November 8th, 2015, 20:33 GMT 

I would like to see a 1978 set at some point, although I expect that the Blood On the Tracks set will more than likely be the next release, albeit that much is already available from previous sets.

The 1978 overview I'd like to see would contain:-

The piano versions
A full show from London or Paris (preferably the latter so as to include Changing of the Guard)
A full show from the US leg

PostPosted: Sun November 8th, 2015, 21:19 GMT 
Mercury Member

The reason the BOTT release hasn't happened yet is that some of the session tapes went astray, infuriating those who wished this to happen. It is in hand but a missing reel or so is still a missing reel or so... you want ' the incomplete' or would you prefer to wait?

Blobbo was furious, if that helps.

PostPosted: Sun November 8th, 2015, 22:53 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
The reason the BOTT release hasn't happened yet is that some of the session tapes went astray, infuriating those who wished this to happen. It is in hand but a missing reel or so is still a missing reel or so... you want ' the incomplete' or would you prefer to wait?

Blobbo was furious, if that helps.

Source?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next