Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon December 18th, 2017, 05:14 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun August 2nd, 2009, 14:52 GMT 

marker wrote:
Time Out of Mind was my first Dylan album. I was in high school when i saw the Grammy performance. i remember thinking as the song started that it sounded very strange and mysterious. The dancing people in black behind him only added to its strange nature. It was so moody it reminded me of The Doors who I was very into at the time. I knew it was Bob Dylan but at the time I only knew him as "Times They Are A Changin" protest Bob which I could never get into because it was such dusty grandma music. But this....wow. Not the Bob Dylan I knew.
And then Soy Bomb...I then was like "Is this part of the act??" If it was, this was pretty wild shit. I sort of realized after a second that it was not part of the show basically because of Bob's detached glance over at him followed by the eyebrows raised on "I'm love sick."
They take him off and Bob dives into the solo which is ferocious and pulls anyone watching right back into the song.
It's the perfect Bob Dylan event. Spontaneous, mysterious, and at times terrifying. A man on a tightrope.
It's a brilliant performance of the first great song of Modern Bob's career.
here it is uncut in all it's glory for anyone desiring to relive the beautiful event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwPqeZJ ... re=related

Nostalgia aside, it is most certainly not the best performance of the song. Many came thereafter. To pick one is foolish but I feel compelled to post this one for reasons that must be heard to be recognized:

Nashville TN
Feb. 6 1999

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2hs79i

The stupid soybomb thing was part of the act. Dylan admitted it in an interview.

PostPosted: Sun August 2nd, 2009, 15:36 GMT 

feet_of_a_harlot wrote:
The stupid soybomb thing was part of the act. Dylan admitted it in an interview.

Then it must be true!

PostPosted: Sun August 2nd, 2009, 15:43 GMT 

never heard that! Link please....

PostPosted: Sun August 2nd, 2009, 15:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

I didn't hear that either...in fact I thought the guy was arrested. You'll need to back that up, I'm afraid. Now if Dylan had knocked him out ala M&A, I might be more inclined to believe it was a setup :lol:

PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2012, 08:38 GMT 

Probably the best rendition of this song I've ever heard is this one from
Sheffield in 2009. Everything comes together perfectly here to create the perfect
bizarre, funky yet amazingly groovy version that just all round rocks...
Bob pulls out all of the stops here and the organ is also used to startlingly great effect....

Sheffield England
April 24 2009
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eaem8x

PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2012, 09:13 GMT 

Thank you for this one

My favourite version:
Tampa, 10.5.2006
http://www.sendspace.com/file/422o1p

PostPosted: Sat July 14th, 2012, 12:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

The current performances on grand piano have an invigorating effect. I don't think I've ever heard a "bad" performance of Love Sick but I'm especially fond of the performances shortly after release of Time Out of Mind and some of the ones featuring Larry and Charlie.

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 08:10 GMT 

Beautiful version TruthIsObscure!!
So much more methodical & dirge-like than usual....

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 08:32 GMT 

theunwavedhand wrote:
feet_of_a_harlot wrote:

Then it must be true!

Of course not .Unless the cops that kicked him out were also part of the act . i don't think Dylan said that , and even if he did it would be his Dylan-trolling again :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_RIGzk3iTQ

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 09:20 GMT 

Location: The mystic garden, outside the chelsea hotel, near Montague Street...
All performances of Love Sick are great. But the best version for me is the studio album. Perfect opener album to Time Out of Mind, Really sets the mood for the lyrics of and music of what unfolds on the album.

PostPosted: Sun July 15th, 2012, 11:55 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
The Grammy's with the awesome solo. Possibly one of the greatest performances ever captured on tape and without a doubt the greatest live performance in the history of the Grammys.

I'm inclined to agree. It still gives me chills.

PostPosted: Mon July 16th, 2012, 17:05 GMT 

Me too love that version :D

PostPosted: Tue August 6th, 2013, 10:27 GMT 
Promethium Member

The perrformances this year have been fabulous... nothing short of jaw-drop stunning. And after viewing this, Bob still has "cool" down in spades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSSTZybsWM

PostPosted: Wed August 7th, 2013, 16:21 GMT 

not bad for a faker...he really sounds bereft; clearly the box wasn't writing this one. Most performances I've witnessed have been very fine. Probably my favorite live taped performances are from the early keyboard days.

PostPosted: Thu August 8th, 2013, 01:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

Classic song and as Untrodden Path said, the performance from the Grammy's is exquisite. A Real favorite of mine, and it sounded great live as well.

PostPosted: Sat June 7th, 2014, 20:36 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
The perrformances this year have been fabulous... nothing short of jaw-drop stunning. And after viewing this, Bob still has "cool" down in spades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDSSTZybsWM

I'd have to heartily agree with this!! This is consistently one of the best songs of the night since the setlist has become uniform.
That version there from Irvine is pretty bad-ass, the one I saw in Camden was incredible,
and this one here at the Royal Albert Hall (then and now the last song before the 'intermission') is simply mesmerizing.

London England
November 27 2013
http://www.sendspace.com/file/h4vqqq

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 06:25 GMT 

My love for the Asian tour from last year has grown exponentially over the last few months.
First of all, Bob always sounds best after his holiday break but also the Asian crowds are always so enthusiastic in the
right spots and quiet in the right moments as well...it's the perfect tour.
And this particular song has not sounded this good in many years, in fact I'd say these versions
are my new favorites.

Listen to how Bob so gorgeously sings this version...it's shockingly good:

Tokyo Japan
April 7 2014
http://www.mediafire.com/listen/30ar8pv ... _April.mp3

And here's the version from a few nights later...not as haunting as the 7th but cool to see Bob in the flesh here:
https://youtu.be/ag9yvF7FMuI?t=42m23s

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 07:30 GMT 

Agree about the Asian tour. The Tokyo run was quite possibly the peak of The Set period. I've not heard him sing as well since. The band is also on its game - no sloppiness, no rote playing: tight, sympathetic, focused.

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 09:09 GMT 

likeatrain wrote:
Agree about the Asian tour. The Tokyo run was quite possibly the peak of The Set period. I've not heard him sing as well since. The band is also on its game - no sloppiness, no rote playing: tight, sympathetic, focused.

Yes, Tokyo was good. But I reckon things did get even better.

Banging the Detroit drum again - which I will continue to do until every man, woman, child and monkey has heard it - here's 'Love Sick' from 15th May 2015.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1lyz ... 15t09.flac

Blistering.

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 22:53 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
likeatrain wrote:

Yes, Tokyo was good. But I reckon things did get even better.

Banging the Detroit drum again - which I will continue to do until every man, woman, child and monkey has heard it - here's 'Love Sick' from 15th May 2015.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/r1lyz ... 15t09.flac

Blistering.

Some Columbia recording artist got his hands on that Love Sick and made it sound better than before...

Charlie is all over this 'Love Sick,' maybe too much so. I hear more 'rawk' in this version than in the Tokyo versions - and whether or not that's a good thing is a matter of personal taste. But it's only 'blistering' in the 'Bob's-74-now-and-yet...' kind of sense. There's a great deal of other music going on these days that can out-blister this without breaking sweat.

For me, the nuanced ensemble playing (and the nuanced vocals) of the Tokyo run still come out on top. That's your The Set sweet spot, folks: To-K-Yo.

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 23:08 GMT 

in my opinion, this one is the only really "great" song that he has written since 1975. why? because...

(1) it has a great production. you could even say it's one of those more recent tracks that has an actual producer.
(2) the music/ song structure/ sound: bob leaves his usual comfort zone here. and that's a good thing.
(3) the lyrics: great, touching lyrics. no hack-job here, no easy-way-out two-liners. no BS.

PostPosted: Mon September 7th, 2015, 23:15 GMT 

sammy's_cat wrote:
(3) the lyrics: great, touching lyrics. no hack-job here, no easy-way-out two-liners. no BS.

Yep, straight-to-the-point lyrics. No need for The Box with this one.

PostPosted: Tue September 8th, 2015, 00:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Made a nice set-closer for those 13 shows from Bamberg , Germany to San Sebastián, Spain this Summer.

Perfect.

PostPosted: Wed September 9th, 2015, 16:35 GMT 

Some Columbia recording artist got his hands on that Love Sick and made it sound better than before...

Charlie is all over this 'Love Sick,' maybe too much so. I hear more 'rawk' in this version than in the Tokyo versions - and whether or not that's a good thing is a matter of personal taste. But it's only 'blistering' in the 'Bob's-74-now-and-yet...' kind of sense. There's a great deal of other music going on these days that can out-blister this without breaking sweat.

For me, the nuanced ensemble playing (and the nuanced vocals) of the Tokyo run still come out on top. That's your The Set sweet spot, folks: To-K-Yo.[/quote]

Detroit seems in a higher league to me (the more Charlie the better to my ears) but great to have both in such pristine sq.

PostPosted: Sun October 11th, 2015, 16:31 GMT 

Fall 2006 was an incredible tour with so many terrific shows & performances.
Here's an atmospheric and dirge-like version of Love Sick from the very end of the tour...
Denny Freeman sounds amazing here and Bob is in terrific voice and the organ makes this song
sound so darkly twisted....
Great version here:

Fairfax VA
November 17 2006
https://youtu.be/kji-DJvuv0w

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next