Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 18:55 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:07 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon April 2nd, 2007, 06:31 GMT
Posts: 751
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
e that Duke quite got it until Dylan walked over and commiserated with Donny.
Maybe not even then.


To be fair this was one of Dukes first performances in the band. Remembering how Stu and Denny looked scared as hell watching Dylan all night it can not have been easy figuring out what Bob wants at a certain time. Especially since the arrangements were very loose in this period and the years before. For a split second Duke might have thought Bob signaled a solo (which would be a very obvious thing to do in a swing tune). Even though Dylan clearly is about to sing the next verse when this starts. Once you decide to go that direction with the solo there is only one way to go and that to finish it properly even if the boss don't like it. These things happens all the time in live music, but making a scene out of it like Bob does is simply rude.


btw Duke just liked this articke on his FB. Maybe it describes very well how he feels about Dylan:

http://www.daysofthecrazy-wild.com/mich ... hrough-it/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 12:46 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20913
To be fair, I really, truly enjoyed the Duke performances (And Colin's for that matter) that I witnessed during his short almost two-legged stay with Bob.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 00:23 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20913
And the story continues...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84495


...


Re: Duke Robillard's new song - Svengali

Yellowgoat wrote:
It's new to me, anyway - sorry if the rest of you have already heard it. I think it sounds pretty good. It's dedicated to "Mr. Dylan" on Duke's facebook page.

He doesn't mince his words though, e.g:

"I used to be among the many, who followed you and sang your praise/now I won't even raise an eyebrow when they put you six feet in the grave."

Makes me wonder what exactly happened between Dylan and Duke.


smoke wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St7QaL4SQiY


Still Go Barefoot wrote:
No mincing it right...

"Yeah, you got a lotta nerve buddy,
Just who you think you are?
You ain't the Almighty."

"And that messenger you sent ain't no Baptist Preacher"


Or something like that...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 09:04 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 25th, 2010, 19:06 GMT
Posts: 1777
Wow, thanks SGB for bringing this to the forum's attention - those words...surely are not about Dylan?!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 12:26 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 3rd, 2008, 11:01 GMT
Posts: 4165
Hm, I have no doubts that Bob can be a jerk at times. I mean come on, this is the guy you're not supposed to even look at when you see him backstage. As much as I love the guys story and music, Duke doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would take a shot at Dylan for no good reason.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 13:16 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 11455
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
DaniArrow wrote:
Hm, I have no doubts that Bob can be a jerk at times. I mean come on, this is the guy you're not supposed to even look at when you see him backstage. As much as I love the guys story and music, Duke doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would take a shot at Dylan for no good reason.

Do I think that Dylan might be hard to work for...? Sure. But it is not like anyone stepping into that band should not know that going in. He runs a tight ship, and he IS the captain, and the only captain of his ship. All you have to do to know that is to go to one concert.... those guys are glued to him for cues...... and it would seem that was not Duke's plan when he joined the band.

As to him taking a shot at Dylan..... not the least surprising..... DA, have you never been around someone who has something not go well and it always someone else's fault? Sometimes they call it 'sour grapes'.... sometimes they call it immature. Sometimes they call it just plain being an idiot. He is playing on a world stage putting that song out taking a shot at the big D. Yeah, right, that sure is going to get him a lot of other shots with players or bands of that level..... don't think so. Playing on that level is a whole lot more than just ability to play.... there are so many really great players that never make it past the local level. He had a shot at the big stage and didn't make the cut. I don't know enough to think it was because of his actually playing ability.... I did see him at one show, but I just don't know enough to make a call on that. But I would think if he got the shot at it he must be a good player. So you have to expect he didn't fit in.... play by rules of the game..... and yes, it is Dylan's game, Dylan's rules..... as it should be.

So Duke, enjoy being your own captain, running that ship on your own little lake.....you limited exposure little lake. Your days of sailing on the big oceans of the world don't seem like they are going to be too promising :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 13:34 GMT 

Joined: Sat August 4th, 2007, 09:04 GMT
Posts: 120
Location: Madrid
Just re-watched some duke videos on youtube. I thought the same now, as I thought at the time he joined Bobs band, Duke just seems like an extremely ordinary guitar player. Go into any bar with live music, this is what you´ll get. Lacks any sort of subtly in his playing.
https://youtu.be/BkKBImSlOVA

Colin Linden on the other hand, he can play!
https://youtu.be/6cmV_uWyqpc


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 15:25 GMT 

Joined: Sun June 22nd, 2014, 19:26 GMT
Posts: 483
Lily Rose wrote:
As to him taking a shot at Dylan..... not the least surprising..... DA, have you never been around someone who has something not go well and it always someone else's fault? Sometimes they call it 'sour grapes'.... sometimes they call it immature. Sometimes they call it just plain being an idiot. He is playing on a world stage putting that song out taking a shot at the big D. Yeah, right, that sure is going to get him a lot of other shots with players or bands of that level..... don't think so. Playing on that level is a whole lot more than just ability to play.... there are so many really great players that never make it past the local level. He had a shot at the big stage and didn't make the cut.


Well, let me first say: I know know as little about the whole situation as all of you do. Personally, I didn't even really like Duke's playing, great at it is, it's just not my cup of tea. However, if you read things like the above quotes, you must think that Duke is about 14 years old and playing with Dylan was the first and last achievement of his career.

Duke is now 66 years old. Yes, you can be immature and stupid even at 60+ year of age, but far as I know he's not exactly known over the course of his long career to talk bad about fellow musicians, so we should give him at least the shadow of a doubt that something out of the ordinary happened with Dylan.

Also, Duke's been working as a musician, apparently making a living out of it, for 48 years. He's also toured internationally since, I believe, 1978. Since when it that the definition of "never make it past the local level"?

He joined Dylan's band at 64 years of age. To think that he's grumpy because he didn't make the cut is laughable to me. I'm pretty sure that Duke didn't think he'd become a chart topping solo artist on the strength of him playing with Dylan. Also, in a way he DID make the cut, there's only, what, twelve people on this planet, twelve people out of seven billion who can claim to have played lead guitar in Dylan's live band as a fully fledged band member. That's better than you or I or the other seven billion will ever do.

We really don't know what happened. Maybe Duke was a major pain in the a** and was hurt when Dylan wanted to replace him sooner than later. But I think that it's wrong to assume that Dylan can do whatever he wants, because he's paying the bills. Quite clearly Dylan can't or don't want to pull of a solo show anymore, so he needs a band and should, like any other decent boss and/or human being, treat them accordingly. Dylan is not above the law as far as basic rules of society are concerned, regardless of how much people on hERe love him or how many great songs we wrote.

For all we know, Duke experienced something during his time in Dylan's band that made him angierier than anything he's encountered in 50 years as a working musician. To assume that that is all his fault and Dylan had nothing to do with it (hence "have you never been around someone who has something not go well and it always someone else's fault? Sometimes they call it 'sour grapes'") is, well, only an assumption.

Just think about it: If Duke actually just made up all of it and then wrote a song about it and dedicated it pubicly to "Mr. Dylan" - wouldn't Dylan's lawyer's be on his back within five seconds? I don't expect Dylan to ever share his side of the story, but if he and his people decide to let this stand, you *could* assume that they have no means to act against it, because they don't want the real story out in the open.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 16:31 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Wed August 25th, 2010, 19:06 GMT
Posts: 1777
paul800m wrote:
Just re-watched some duke videos on youtube. I thought the same now, as I thought at the time he joined Bobs band, Duke just seems like an extremely ordinary guitar player. Go into any bar with live music, this is what you´ll get. Lacks any sort of subtly in his playing.
https://youtu.be/BkKBImSlOVA


I think that video isn't proving your point too well - Duke is showing a hell of a lot of controlled playing there on a totally clear, flat tone. Ok, it's just blues pentatonic - but, hell, it's the bread and butter of modern music.

I agree with handsome: out of the thousands of pro or semi-pro guitarists he picks Duke...the guy is a professional musician who's been around for years.

Colin Linden is brilliant too. Loved that video you posted.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 16:48 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 11455
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
back to the Handsomeinthefog post....

First off, by the local level comment, it was not directed at him.... it was directed to the many, many excellent players that don't or can't make the commitment to take the chance and make a life as a musician. Duke of course is not in that group, but he is also not in the world class player group... There is not a lot of players that are world known on Dylan's level, but I do not remember Duke playing with any of them. There are quite a few excellent support players that are known to move from one band to another, and to people who are interested quite well know, but I would think that would not show up in Duke's list of bands.

The one thing that seemed to be the topper when that was all going on was when Duke did not look over to Bob while he was giving him a signal not to keep playing a solo..... As a matter of fact didn't Bob just stop and lean on the piano while Duke finished and then checked in? At the time I remember thinking that was quite over the top from Duke's side.

As to Dylan's treatment of the players in his band.... , heard enough along the way to know he is no angel to work for or with..... but every heard the stories about some of the others..... James Brown used to be super tough on his players..... got fined when they played something wrong..... and I am sure if you go looking there are stories all over the place about how tough so and so is to work with..... Big egos in performers of all kinds is not at all unusual. And again, anyone that doesn't know that Dylan wants what Dylan wants as far as his music and his shows is just not paying attention.

As to this still coming up.....Duke got there, got rather suddenly bounced, for whatever reason, and just doesn't want to let it drop..... how long ago was that..... the horse is dead, quit kicking..... doesn't it seem that it would be best for him to just let this fade away..... This ain't gonna hurt Dylan..... they have been throwing crap at him since the 60's and he just keeps on keepin' on.....

There are a lot.... a whole lot of musicians.... even of Bob's level, who have said he is a bit of chaos to work with..... but the excitement of doing it shows in the story even as they are telling it. I am sure if you took any random 100 known or unknown musicians and asked them if they would like to work with Dylan there would not be too many in the 'no way I want to do that' group.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 18:39 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 25th, 2012, 19:24 GMT
Posts: 407
Location: England
Lily Rose wrote:
back to the Handsomeinthefog post....

First off, by the local level comment, it was not directed at him.... it was directed to the many, many excellent players that don't or can't make the commitment to take the chance and make a life as a musician. Duke of course is not in that group, but he is also not in the world class player group... There is not a lot of players that are world known on Dylan's level, but I do not remember Duke playing with any of them. There are quite a few excellent support players that are known to move from one band to another, and to people who are interested quite well know, but I would think that would not show up in Duke's list of bands.

The one thing that seemed to be the topper when that was all going on was when Duke did not look over to Bob while he was giving him a signal not to keep playing a solo..... As a matter of fact didn't Bob just stop and lean on the piano while Duke finished and then checked in? At the time I remember thinking that was quite over the top from Duke's side.

As to Dylan's treatment of the players in his band.... , heard enough along the way to know he is no angel to work for or with..... but every heard the stories about some of the others..... James Brown used to be super tough on his players..... got fined when they played something wrong..... and I am sure if you go looking there are stories all over the place about how tough so and so is to work with..... Big egos in performers of all kinds is not at all unusual. And again, anyone that doesn't know that Dylan wants what Dylan wants as far as his music and his shows is just not paying attention.

As to this still coming up.....Duke got there, got rather suddenly bounced, for whatever reason, and just doesn't want to let it drop..... how long ago was that..... the horse is dead, quit kicking..... doesn't it seem that it would be best for him to just let this fade away..... This ain't gonna hurt Dylan..... they have been throwing crap at him since the 60's and he just keeps on keepin' on.....

There are a lot.... a whole lot of musicians.... even of Bob's level, who have said he is a bit of chaos to work with..... but the excitement of doing it shows in the story even as they are telling it. I am sure if you took any random 100 known or unknown musicians and asked them if they would like to work with Dylan there would not be too many in the 'no way I want to do that' group.


You say Duke doesn't want to let it drop; but in the last 24 hours alone you've already written many more paragraphs on the subject than he has in the last 2 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 18:55 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 11455
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
Yellowgoat wrote:
You say Duke doesn't want to let it drop; but in the last 24 hours alone you've already written many more paragraphs on the subject than he has in the last 2 years.

....and you are on your second thread on the same subject just today.... wondered when you were going to wander over here.....

This is a discussion board so that is what you do.... discuss.... My point being if I had been bounced from a pretty new gig, I would not keep bringing it up for others on things like these discussion boards to bring up again..... and again.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 19:15 GMT 

Joined: Tue September 25th, 2012, 19:24 GMT
Posts: 407
Location: England
Lily Rose wrote:
Yellowgoat wrote:
You say Duke doesn't want to let it drop; but in the last 24 hours alone you've already written many more paragraphs on the subject than he has in the last 2 years.

....and you are on your second thread on the same subject just today.... wondered when you were going to wander over here.....

This is a discussion board so that is what you do.... discuss....


I agree with you, but then again I'm not complaining about how Duke keeps bringing up the subject. Read through your own lengthy comments and maybe you will understand how it might seem that you have more of an axe to grind.

You imply that Duke was fired from Bob's band: there is no evidence for this whatsoever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 19:46 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 11455
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
Perhaps I should have said that he was either fired, for an unknown reason, OR he quit for an unknown reason..... to me either one comes back to bounced.....

As to an ax to grind..... I am always irritated by people that willingly even happy to get themselves into situation and then end up so "shocked" when it turns out to be exactly what anyone who had done their homework would have known before they jump in. It is like jumping in a swimming pool and being surprised when they end up dripping wet. It's like someone who marries someone known to be a bit wild and then doesn't know why they are that way. It like anyone who gets in Dylan's band and expects him not to be in control...... duh?!?!?!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon July 27th, 2015, 22:42 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20913
Perhaps Bob should cover 'Svengali' on the next leg.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 00:05 GMT 
Mercury Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed June 6th, 2007, 15:58 GMT
Posts: 11455
Location: in the land where dreams are made....
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Perhaps Bob should cover 'Svengali' on the next leg.

Wonder if it will be listed on the pool :shock:
Should be worth at least 30 points :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 00:38 GMT 
Titanium Member

Joined: Fri January 21st, 2011, 19:55 GMT
Posts: 7271
Location: missin' The Mirror Girl
Lily Rose wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Perhaps Bob should cover 'Svengali' on the next leg.

Wonder if it will be listed on the pool :shock:
Should be worth at least 30 points :wink:



:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 00:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat September 13th, 2008, 03:43 GMT
Posts: 4822
Lily Rose wrote:
Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Perhaps Bob should cover 'Svengali' on the next leg.

Wonder if it will be listed on the pool :shock:
Should be worth at least 30 points :wink:

Side bets is a very good idea!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 09:03 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue June 3rd, 2008, 11:01 GMT
Posts: 4165
Bob's control over his ship isn't doing him any good in my opinion. Mostly the band just sounds very static and the only reason these guys are glued to him for cues is because he randomly decided to play songs in different keys or rhythmic structures, mostly not in favor of the song because everyone just ends up trying to figure out what the hell they're actually doing at the moment. Bob used to let his musicians have the freedom to play in the style they're good at, look at the famous Rolling Thunder tours with all of them jamming out or check out Winston Watsons DVD in which he states he's actually a hard rock drummer and Bob just told him to play it like he wanted to.

Ever since the old man keeps his gang on such a tight leash, his music has become tight and static, but also more boring. Sometimes it's really just muzak with Bob reciting some lyrics over it (Tin Angel is a perfect example). I know we're all Bob fans on here, but I've heard a lot of friends who are into Neil Young, Clapton or Grateful Dead state that same opinion.

The reason I'm saying this is to support my opinion that Duke is more of a real musician who likes to improvise and have his freedom. He might have been able to do that when he worked with Bob before, but apparently the leash is getting tighter and tighter. And yes, he might swim on his own small lake, but I have much more respect for someone saying goodbye to the big ocean to stay true to himself than anyone rolling along as a pawn for the cash and fame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 13:10 GMT 

Joined: Sun April 1st, 2007, 10:39 GMT
Posts: 458
DaniArrow wrote:
rolling along as a pawn for the cash and fame.

do you think this is the main reason for the other band members to stay?
I really don't wonder if someone quits after three months. The wonder for me is that the others are working with Dylan for many many years, going and coming back. Despite the problems you and others described. I look at the stage to Sexton and Co, and ask myself what is going on in their heads. Did Dylan buy Garnier on the slave market? Do they see from time to time the angel Michael Bloomfield wrote about? Or they have to many houses, women and children. Or it´s mixed up, I dont´know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 13:56 GMT 

Joined: Sun April 26th, 2009, 16:57 GMT
Posts: 140
Kle wrote:
DaniArrow wrote:
rolling along as a pawn for the cash and fame.

do you think this is the main reason for the other band members to stay?
I really don't wonder if someone quits after three months. The wonder for me is that the others are working with Dylan for many many years, going and coming back. Despite the problems you and others described. I look at the stage to Sexton and Co, and ask myself what is going on in their heads. Did Dylan buy Garnier on the slave market? Do they see from time to time the angel Michael Bloomfield wrote about? Or they have to many houses, women and children. Or it´s mixed up, I dont´know.


Of course the reason they stay is that it's a good steady gig that probably pays well. Dylan is an a-hole and they play the same thing every night. It's boring. But it's like any other job. You do it because you need the money and it fills your time. They get to travel and they aren't digging ditches or waiting on tables. Plus they get 5-6 months off a year. It's a good job…as jobs go.

No big mystery.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 14:37 GMT 

Joined: Sun April 1st, 2007, 10:39 GMT
Posts: 458
I guess, you´re right, but it´s still interesting to read Charlie Sextons biographie in 30 years:
"It was lousy but I needed the money"
or
"I learned a lot from him" :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 14:43 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon November 1st, 2004, 16:36 GMT
Posts: 977
Location: Cork / Ireland
it also could be that those guys see that being a supporting character in the stage performance of the greatest artist of both our and their lifetimes, assisting him to create the musical sound he is going for, is in the long run a far greater achievement than trying to steal his show and making a name for yourself

the more humble members of the band might do this with more ease than the ones who need to be restrained, but Dylan obviously looks for and deserves musicians willing to support him in what he wants to do on stage or in the studio; and I have nothing but respect for them if they do exactly this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 15:11 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat October 27th, 2007, 12:44 GMT
Posts: 16705
Location: Workin' as a postal clerk
For musicians of this caliber, it may be more interesting and even fun to engage in the subtle and improvisational interplay this band offers than it would be to crank out the same kind of blues-rock solos they did at age 16. This is surely more true for some than others, depending on the role they play, but it wouldn't surprise me if they all felt this way to some degree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue July 28th, 2015, 15:50 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon June 11th, 2007, 11:45 GMT
Posts: 3444
Location: by the Pesky pole
notdarkyet wrote:
it also could be that those guys see that being a supporting character in the stage performance of the greatest artist of both our and their lifetimes, assisting him to create the musical sound he is going for, is in the long run a far greater achievement than trying to steal his show and making a name for yourself

the more humble members of the band might do this with more ease than the ones who need to be restrained, but Dylan obviously looks for and deserves musicians willing to support him in what he wants to do on stage or in the studio; and I have nothing but respect for them if they do exactly this


Bob Dylans don't grace this planet that often. I'm sure many musicians recognize it as a blessing to be able to play a small part in his story.

Image

Remember this Grammy appearance? Don;t you think the kids in the bands who shared Bob's stage will be telling folks about it for the rest of their lives? Hell ya!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tpsoak


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group