Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 16:22 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 11:30 GMT 

I didn't buy it as I felt it was extremely overpriced and I wasn't very interested in it, because I never liked The basement tapes much.

Recently I got a download of it to see if it was worth buying and I've been listening to it.

Most of the songs are really far from Bob's best. I can't really see a song really interesting.

But the worst of it is the sound. I can understand it wasn't intended for publishing and they didn't record it well, but I can't listen to it. I hate how these days people listens to music with really poor sound quality: cheap earphones or a really bad sounding smartphone make poor quality music less distant from really good music. I'm sorry but I need music to sound much better thant this album does.

OK, it's fun to hear Dylan sing things we hadn't already heard, but it's a one time listen. I can't really enjoy it. For me, among the very few non-interesting Dylan albums.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 13:45 GMT 

Your loss believe me.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 14:11 GMT 

Badly recorded good music is still good music.
I find it amazing that you put so much value on sound quality.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 14:24 GMT 

It's not I decide it conciously. It's simply I don't get into it, and when I analyze why I see that's the main reason.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 14:25 GMT 

i couldnt imagine life without the basement tapes, and that was before the new release :shock:
what are your favorite Bob albums Guillem? just curious, since your taste seems a lot different from mine

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 14:53 GMT 

I'm surprised that this is not a more common opinion. There is nothing universal or automatic about the Basement Tapes. I like them, but I like plenty of lofi-style recordings. Someone coming to Bob Dylan's music with more interest in fully formed studio tracks would probably not find much to enjoy in these songs. They are like the definition of works in progress. Don't sweat not enjoying The Basement Tapes, OP - there's plenty more music out there.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 17:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

his soul's going to have to sweat it one way or another, sooner or later.

he might be okay if he enjoys John Wesley Harding regularly enough.

might have to purge regularly with Street~Legal to compensate.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 19:04 GMT 

Does that leave a difficulty for you, Guillem, with the likes of Robert Johnson or Blind Willie Johnson? While it is more difficult to listen to primitively-recorded music, it can be worth the effort if the music itself is good enough.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 19:07 GMT 

Mickvet wrote:
Does that leave a difficulty for you, Guillem, with the likes of Robert Johnson or Blind Willie Johnson? While it is more difficult to listen to primitively-recorded music, it can be worth the effort if the music itself is good enough.

Yes, the truth is I don't listen for them. That doesn't mean they weren't good. I can see its value, but I can't really enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 19:15 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
Mickvet wrote:

Yes, the truth is I don't listen for them. That doesn't mean they weren't good. I can see its value, but I can't really enjoy it.

Of course, one can't force oneself to enjoy it. To be honest, I may be deluding myself, perhaps I confuse appreciation of what is undeniably intrinsically great music with enjoyment. Nevertheless, I would, if forsaken on the proverbial desert island, opt for such music rather than the best recordings of what claims to be modern popular music (I don't consider Dylan with his old-fashioned ethos in this category, of course).

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 19:24 GMT 

camilla's house wrote:
i couldnt imagine life without the basement tapes, and that was before the new release :shock:
what are your favorite Bob albums Guillem? just curious, since your taste seems a lot different from mine

Well... there's plenty I like very much, but I'd say Blonde on blonde, Blood on the tracks, Oh mercy and Time out of mind. I could add Highway 61 revisited and, in a lesser scale, Bringing it all back home, for the songs, but the old sound makes me feel a little less close to it.

There's albums, like New morning or Street legal that I like a lot, but always the sound annoyed me a little bit. Saves is another one where I don't like the sound, but I don't like it much because of the songs. And it's not the religiousity, because I like Slow train coming (a fantastic sounding album) and Shot of love (I like its live-like sound too) more than the people use to. And another album that annoys me by its sound is Modern times, but I guess the problem is another there.

From the early acoustic albums The times they are a-changin' is what I like better, because I like better its songs. I think the sound is not so important in that kind of albums.

Which albums I don't like so much? Basement tapes and the 1973 Dylan album are easily on the bottom of my list. Nashville skyline is another album where I never really got into. Down in the groove and Knocked out loaded are clearly among his worst, but I can enjoy them somehow.

And talking the live albums, I like most of them, except for Before the flood, which never has been very interesting to me, and maybe Live 1964, that is not bad, but doesn't bring anything really diefferent to me. I like Hard rain though it could sound better, I like live 1975 and live 1966, specially the acoustic set. Though many people doesn't, I like most of At Budokan and, specially, MTV Unplugged, which I enjoyed very much on its day. Even Real live and Dylan & the Dead have enjoyable things for me, but I think they could have done much better albums of those tours.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 20:04 GMT 

I find this odd because I don't really think they sound bad at all (with some exceptions; disc 6 obviously chief among them). They're obviously not produced, but they are well recorded, for the most part.

I mean, maybe listening to a lot of lo-fi indie rock and old blues and jazz recordings has made me not care so much.

I suppose I can get not appreciating the music as such, because I do think they can take some time to open up, or at least they did for me. For years I cared very little about The Basement Tapes, till the suddenly revealed themselves to me (in the year just prior to the BS release).

(As for expense, by the time Christmas rolled around, it was down to $86 for the whole set, which seems pretty good, though I know it's gone back up since.)

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 21:36 GMT 

yolacrary wrote:
I find this odd because I don't really think they sound bad at all (with some exceptions; disc 6 obviously chief among them). They're obviously not produced, but they are well recorded, for the most part.

I mean, maybe listening to a lot of lo-fi indie rock and old blues and jazz recordings has made me not care so much.

I suppose I can get not appreciating the music as such, because I do think they can take some time to open up, or at least they did for me. For years I cared very little about The Basement Tapes, till the suddenly revealed themselves to me (in the year just prior to the BS release).

(As for expense, by the time Christmas rolled around, it was down to $86 for the whole set, which seems pretty good, though I know it's gone back up since.)

I don't think it's simply "not-produced". Shot of love is "not-produced". Love & theft is "not very produced". But this simply is a poor sound recording. Some parts sound a little better, but generally I find myself thinking it's a pity that sound.

Anyway, I don't think most of those songs are among Dylan's best, and he's not singing them particularly well.

Well... I know I'm the strange one here, but it's one of the very few albums that I wouldn't mind it had been ever released (though I prefer this Bootleg Series edition to the original Basement Tapes release).

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 22:32 GMT 

The original Basement Tapes album was the first Dylan album I ever bought, shortly after its release. I soon realised it wasn't the conventional way to introduce oneself to Dylan, but I liked it and continued to come back to it over the years and it grew on me more and more. I always thought Robbie Robertson did a good job on the song selection, despite a few glaring omissions, particularly "Sign On The Cross", and that the album presented as quite a coherent whole despite the disparate sources. Additionally, and not everyone agrees with me, I always considered that the Band songs fitted in quite seamlessly and like Robertson's productional additions which I felt lent some body to the sound. The Complete version, by its nature, is far more variable in its quality and I find myself mostly listening to the songs I am familiar with from the older album, enjoying them anew for their rawer, original style along with the better-known songs which didn't present on the Robertson version. The more obscure songs tend to be the poorer, although there is the odd hidden gem. However, much of the sessions consisted of experiment and messing around so this was inevitable. Finally, I think that Greil Marcus captured the mood and spirit of the Basements very well, in a general way, in his book.

PostPosted: Sat May 16th, 2015, 23:57 GMT 

This is absolute blas-puff-emy. The Basement Tapes are divine crack to me. Unrefined soulful spontaneity. I have not had the pleasure of listening to the Complete edition but I have worn the hell out of the 2-disc Raw version. I view it as the most unique "sound" Dylan ever accomplished next to Blonde on Blonde. I have to think you may be the world's first A.I. not to connect with it on a heart level if not on a technical one. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 02:01 GMT 

Quote:
But this simply is a poor sound recording.

I'm saying it's generally not a poor sound recording. With several exceptions.

Both Shot of Love and "Love & Theft" are plenty produced. Or, rather, they are products of expensive studio time.

The Basement Tapes are like well-recorded live performances. Now, if you don't like the songs, or Dylan's singing, there's not much else to say.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 02:10 GMT 

I have always found the Basement Tapes more "interesting" than "enjoyable".

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 02:31 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
camilla's house wrote:

Well... there's plenty I like very much, but I'd say Blonde on blonde, Blood on the tracks, Oh mercy and Time out of mind. I could add Highway 61 revisited and, in a lesser scale, Bringing it all back home, for the songs, but the old sound makes me feel a little less close to it.

There's albums, like New morning or Street legal that I like a lot, but always the sound annoyed me a little bit. Saves is another one where I don't like the sound, but I don't like it much because of the songs. And it's not the religiousity, because I like Slow train coming (a fantastic sounding album) and Shot of love (I like its live-like sound too) more than the people use to. And another album that annoys me by its sound is Modern times, but I guess the problem is another there.

From the early acoustic albums The times they are a-changin' is what I like better, because I like better its songs. I think the sound is not so important in that kind of albums.

Which albums I don't like so much? Basement tapes and the 1973 Dylan album are easily on the bottom of my list. Nashville skyline is another album where I never really got into. Down in the groove and Knocked out loaded are clearly among his worst, but I can enjoy them somehow.

And talking the live albums, I like most of them, except for Before the flood, which never has been very interesting to me, and maybe Live 1964, that is not bad, but doesn't bring anything really diefferent to me. I like Hard rain though it could sound better, I like live 1975 and live 1966, specially the acoustic set. Though many people doesn't, I like most of At Budokan and, specially, MTV Unplugged, which I enjoyed very much on its day. Even Real live and Dylan & the Dead have enjoyable things for me, but I think they could have done much better albums of those tours.

gotcha, interesting that the sound quality seems like a big issue for you.
do you have really good pitch by any chance?
i like a lot of the same albums, but biabh is my favorite of the bunch. i dont mind that old timey sound, maybe thats why i like the basement tapes.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 10:20 GMT 

The Bard wrote:
I have always found the Basement Tapes more "interesting" than "enjoyable".

Sure. But it has neither managed to interest much to me. There is some things, but it's generally boring for me.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 10:28 GMT 

camilla's house wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of pitch. If it was that I wouldn't have enjoyed so much Bob's live shows. But I feel I can't hear right the thing. Anyway I thing there is more than that: not very good singing or playing there. And I don't see the songs among his best at all.

Anyway I guess these songs are more liked by american people than european. I don't know why.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 11:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

Modern Times sticks out like a sore thumb in this argument - the fact is if you have only heard the CD you really haven't heard the album as it was recorded, only as it was almost destroyed. Get a vinyl rip and see if you don't change yr mind.....

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 16:20 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Modern Times sticks out like a sore thumb in this argument - the fact is if you have only heard the CD you really haven't heard the album as it was recorded, only as it was almost destroyed. Get a vinyl rip and see if you don't change yr mind.....

I did. It's true it sounds a little better and maybe I could take it out of the list. Anyway it's not one of my favourites and don't listen much to it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 16:33 GMT 

GuillemTM wrote:
camilla's house wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of pitch. If it was that I wouldn't have enjoyed so much Bob's live shows. But I feel I can't hear right the thing. Anyway I thing there is more than that: not very good singing or playing there. And I don't see the songs among his best at all.

Anyway I guess these songs are more liked by american people than european. I don't know why.

haha, true, good point.

i dont see most of the songs as among his best either. im pretty confused by clinton heylin calling too much of nothing a masterpiece, i doubt bob would agree with that. that type of statement is a good example of how the basement tapes have been overrated in some ways.

i really like the murky, swirling sound. the instrumentation is the main draw for me. when i try to play lead guitar, i essentially try to copy robbie's sound from the BT haha. bob uses a bunch of different voices on the BT, i like most of them, and the others not so much. the singing is pretty rough in places.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 19:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

As a token European I gotta say I always loved the Basement tapes and as they dribbled out over the years I got 'em - I figured Tree Of Roots was the ultimate and then Sony went and did the dirty and sold us a whole load more... oh cruel life.

PostPosted: Sun May 17th, 2015, 22:12 GMT 

Well... I only wanted to let knwo I don't get these recordings. If You enjoy it, it's good for You, and maybe a pity for me. I suppose it happens with other things, Dylan or not, with everyone. Now I tried to get into it, but one more time I didn't.