Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 07:03 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 20:04 GMT 
Mercury Member

This is true - I even went into an extremely snooty cheese shop that was very pretentious and asked if they stocked Dairylea and was hurriedly shown the door, but to me a fine cheese should ideally be able to move under it's own steam. I once cleared most of a bus simply by eating a Pont L'Eveque sandwich I had carried all day from Normandy to London. That cheese had a life of it's own and would probably have toured like Bob Dylan does if I hadn't eaten it up. :D

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 22:22 GMT 

This system won't let me reply to (trying to thank everyone who's welcomed me) posts quickly in a row, so I'm slow responding to individual posts here.

I guess my initiation is complete! I had to reset my password (& was annoyed by posts not accepted by whoever does that) & think about whether it's worth coming back here. Dylan's work is too big a part of my consciousness to not try--to 'keep on keeping on.'

I also realize that it's been some time since I've been around witty people. I would have preferred 1st responses to be simpler (& 'kinder'), but I do love wit and complexity--really. I apologize to those whose humor I didn't immediately pick up.

I'm trying to say I do appreciate the many responses here. THANK YOU! Merci.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 22:28 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Yes, and from a non tax paying scrounger of no fixed religion I welcome you too. What is your favourite type of Cheese?

Oh, slimtimslide, I'm allergic to dairy protein. It's a step-up from lactose intolerance. It's gotten in the way of being a pure Francophile, and I sometimes try to include a bit of pepper jack in Mexican food or add a bit to eggplant parmesan (it's really weird w/o parmesan)...

Now, ice cream is something I'm willing to take an allergy pill to endure...

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 22:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

Vous non mange pas la fromage? Mon dieux, je suis desole pour vous..... I will eat your share then :D How come parmesan is OK?

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 22:51 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
Vous non mange pas la fromage? Mon dieux, je suis desole pour vous..... I will eat your share then :D How come parmesan is OK?

I find I can tolerate a small amount of cheese w/o getting sick, but if I eat, for example, one piece of normal-amount-of-cheese pizza, I will get very congested. I've learned that I can sprinkle about a teaspoon or less onto something, such as pizza or chicken parmesan and IF I also have something else w/it, such as salad, I can still breathe in an hour or so.

Yes, please do take my share, slimtimshade!

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 23:07 GMT 
Mercury Member

when it's properly ripe it will make its own way to me - thanks!

PostPosted: Sun April 26th, 2015, 10:51 GMT 

Entering the ER forums for the first time is a bit like going on a big polyamorous blind date.

Sure, you've cross-checked your interests (in this case our shared love of Slade, particularly Dave Hill, and perhaps also Bob Dylan) but you don't really know who you're about to spend your evening with, do you? And so you go about feeling the place out, trying to be a rather courteous and somewhat timid version of your true self. Some people, it should be said, come in guns blazing, but these are usually either politely ejected by the waiting staff or are served a big shot of charlesdarwin's tranquiliser.

As you feel about, you might poke Hungryhoss in the eye by saying Shadows In The Night is excruciatingly dull (despite it being a very astute observation). Or you might stomp on Mr Matt's foot by saying the local council ought to build a big tear-plated statue of Margaret Thatcher in Bournemouth. You might even tickle Untrodden Path's left thigh by praising a particularly gargly 2006 NET performance. Or your hand may stray into dangerous waters and end up twisting Trev's delighted nipple. Some comments may provoke a negative response (however unwarranted it may be), some will provoke a positive one. Some won't provoke a response at all.

But as you go along, poking and prodding people, you will find you're settling in. That initial uncertainty, so typical of blind dates, as to whether the other party will turn out to be mad dismembering serial killers will gradually subside into the back of your head (although, be warned, this suspicion will never quite leave you here on ER). There are comments that will make you laugh, shake with anger and some comments will change your perspective on an issue or perhaps even life itself. Some folks you won't stand, some you will only be able to read when extremely drunk. Most will become welcome friendly faces.

Sarcasm-sickness is a common problem when getting to know people. Bloody hell, I can't count the amount of times I've been on a date, made a snide sarcastic remark and then saw the panicked wide eyes of my company, who was desperately trying to figure whether what I just said was a joke or a massive red flag (spoiler alert: it usually is both). But shyness and uncertainty are no reasons to not to get to know people. If anything, they are barriers to be stepped over. The Tower of London too is just a pile of unsightly stones but once you get past them, you will find wonderful jewels inside. Fair enough, these jewels serve as a constant reminder to a nation that it is founded on the principle that some people are just born better, but this is besides the point.

The point is, you are on a big polyamorous blind date right now. It may be awkward at first, but blimey, it sure does sound like a lot of fun. And I hope you will have fun. I, for one, am very glad there is fresh blood here and look forward to reading your contributions. And I hope you will enjoy reading the contributions of others: there is a lot to be gained here.

NB: references to sexual health consequences of going on massive polyamorous blind dates have been omitted from the above metaphor in order for the above comment to retain a PG rating.

PostPosted: Sun April 26th, 2015, 11:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

underneath our gruff exterior we are mostly very nice people here, willing to share tea, biscuits, files.... the odd rogue rhinocrat comes along and stomps on everything but in general you can find everything good here, from homespun wisdom, to wooly bob dylan dolls, to getting you loft insulted (i mean insulated - even if you dont have a loft) The general attitude here is 'ask and it will be given' but also give in return whenever you can - we are a very diverse collection of extremely lovely people.

Incidentally, by 'New People' I assume you mean new members of ER, not newly manufactured humanoids? We don't get many actual babies contributing, they are kept in a tank in the basement and force fed Dylan until they are old enough and brainwashed enough to be able to make Dylan related remarks about any event in the world.

PostPosted: Sun April 26th, 2015, 12:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

stjulienlepauvre wrote:
I've loved Dylan's music, more than any other, since a friend brought Lay, Lady, Lay to my house more than 30 years ago. He predicted 'I think you're going to like this.' Understatement.

I finally have enough free time, w/school, jobs and children mainly in the past, so I was enjoying reading maybe about 40+ pages of different posts here. Then, I commented on a few! Whoa. That might have been a mistake. Of my 1st 3 posts, written politely and 'in the King's English,' the first was met w/sarcasm and another response was haughty, arrogant banter.

My take on ER is similar to a progressive's response to why she goes to a Catholic Church. Well, I grew up there (w/Dylan, in this case), and it's my church, too.

Is this a semi-closed club of 'regulars' who prefer to keep it that way and try to discourage anyone new, unless he has the stamina to prove he fits in? :?:

Welcome mate everyone is accepted here, some of us may get passionate about certain aspects of Dylan , but in the main posters here are respected by everone.

PostPosted: Mon April 27th, 2015, 01:01 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
underneath our gruff exterior we are mostly very nice people here, willing to share tea, biscuits, files.... the odd rogue rhinocrat comes along and stomps on everything but in general you can find everything good here, from homespun wisdom, to wooly bob dylan dolls, to getting you loft insulted (i mean insulated - even if you dont have a loft) The general attitude here is 'ask and it will be given' but also give in return whenever you can - we are a very diverse collection of extremely lovely people.

Incidentally, by 'New People' I assume you mean new members of ER, not newly manufactured humanoids? We don't get many actual babies contributing, they are kept in a tank in the basement and force fed Dylan until they are old enough and brainwashed enough to be able to make Dylan related remarks about any event in the world.

Yes, I meant new members. Your remark made me think, though (always a good thing)--I raised my 5 children w/Dylan in the background. Although they've all spent some time in the arts (which I encouraged), I don't think any have any particular interest in Dylan's music. Hmmm....how the hell did that happen... :?

PostPosted: Wed April 29th, 2015, 23:09 GMT 

Update: Two people have made it to my 'foe's' list. I wasn't put on earth to be anyone's battering post and it isn't even worth my time to respond to ego-trippers. I simply have too many useful things on my mental to-do list. :roll:

Thanks all for so much kind support

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 00:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

I see no point in the foes list and it would be a good idea if it was ended.

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 01:24 GMT 
Mercury Member

I appreciate the option.

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 02:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

oldmanemu wrote:

I agree - a world in which everybody agrees and nobody can be offended is not a world i want to live in.

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 04:03 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:

Maybe you've been treated better than I have? I don't know.

Misogynists are everywhere, as are ageists, etc.

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 04:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

stjulienlepauvre wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:

Maybe you've been treated better than I have? I don't know.

Misogynists are everywhere, as are ageists, etc.

even if I have a dispute with some one I let time heal it

PostPosted: Thu April 30th, 2015, 06:29 GMT 

even if I have a dispute with some one I let time heal it[/quote]

Thank you. I don't consider something a dispute if I don't respond to the 1st insult (maybe it did proceed to the 2nd; I'll be more careful in the future, but I'm way too old/mature/experienced to respond to insults w/insults, so I'm sure that I didn't continue in that vein). My preference is to simply disengage, but in one instance, the same person was rude on another thread, so I assumed it was not a bad day or a misunderstanding, but someone w/an anger issue. I simply don't play those games.

Again, oldmanemu, thank you for helping. I will proceed more cautiously.

PostPosted: Sun May 3rd, 2015, 01:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

stjulienlepauvre wrote:
even if I have a dispute with some one I let time heal it

Thank you. I don't consider something a dispute if I don't respond to the 1st insult (maybe it did proceed to the 2nd; I'll be more careful in the future, but I'm way too old/mature/experienced to respond to insults w/insults, so I'm sure that I didn't continue in that vein). My preference is to simply disengage, but in one instance, the same person was rude on another thread, so I assumed it was not a bad day or a misunderstanding, but someone w/an anger issue. I simply don't play those games.

Again, oldmanemu, thank you for helping. I will proceed more cautiously.[/quote]
good

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 16:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'm thinking our thickboy just tolerates.

Barely...

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 17:18 GMT 

I think newbies are tolerated, until their political views or favourite Dylan albums, don't correspond, and then it's open season for ridicule and abuse.

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 18:10 GMT 

What a crock.

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 18:23 GMT 

I think Richard Nixon was the greatest US president, and 'Infidels' was the best ever Dylan album.

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 18:51 GMT 
Mercury Member

Leonard, interesting choices. Blind Dickie McLie would be proud of you

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 19:01 GMT 
Mercury Member

Leonard wrote:
I think Richard Nixon was the greatest US president, and 'Infidels' was the best ever Dylan album.

Right.

There may come a time when you are so defiled that even your own parents abandon you, but god will show you a way to redeem yourself in this life (a paraphrase of El Blobbo) I have already called 911 and help is on it's way, I hope you like cheese.

PostPosted: Fri May 22nd, 2015, 21:05 GMT 
Titanium Member

A crock of cheese! Cor! :o