Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 22:18 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu April 23rd, 2015, 22:52 GMT 

I've loved Dylan's music, more than any other, since a friend brought Lay, Lady, Lay to my house more than 30 years ago. He predicted 'I think you're going to like this.' Understatement.

I finally have enough free time, w/school, jobs and children mainly in the past, so I was enjoying reading maybe about 40+ pages of different posts here. Then, I commented on a few! Whoa. That might have been a mistake. Of my 1st 3 posts, written politely and 'in the King's English,' the first was met w/sarcasm and another response was haughty, arrogant banter.

My take on ER is similar to a progressive's response to why she goes to a Catholic Church. Well, I grew up there (w/Dylan, in this case), and it's my church, too.

Is this a semi-closed club of 'regulars' who prefer to keep it that way and try to discourage anyone new, unless he has the stamina to prove he fits in? :?:

PostPosted: Thu April 23rd, 2015, 23:10 GMT 

Hi! I'm no one important on this site, but let me say, "Welcome to ER!" It's nothing like the real world but it's often fun and usually interesting. If you want to learn just about anything about Bob Dylan this is a good place to hang.

PostPosted: Thu April 23rd, 2015, 23:43 GMT 
Mercury Member

Keep plugging along and you will find your place! There is definitely an abundance of sarcasm, sometimes downright rude or mean posts, but I have learned to ignore (for the most part) and that it's them, not me! :P Welcome to ER!

PostPosted: Thu April 23rd, 2015, 23:47 GMT 

Peggy Night wrote:
Hi! I'm no one important on this site, but let me say, "Welcome to ER!" It's nothing like the real world but it's often fun and usually interesting. If you want to learn just about anything about Bob Dylan this is a good place to hang.

Thank you, Peggy!

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 00:50 GMT 
Titanium Member

New people are always welcome here. They are often tolerated too. Some older folks are also tolerated - not all, of course. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 00:57 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
New people are always welcome here. They are often tolerated too. Some older folks are also tolerated - not all, of course. :shock:

What an interesting remark! Dylan is old!

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 01:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

That was 'old' in the sense of 'not new', not 'aged'; there are many aged people here, some of whom are tolerated.

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 01:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mr Dylan, btw, is not 'old'; he is in his 70s, Methuselah was 'old', allegedly. Whoever s/he was.

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 01:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hi stjulien, welcome to ER!

I'm sorry you were offended, but the poster in question is really a rather friendly fellow - not one of the more cranky regulars of which there are admittedly one or two. I think he was just trying to crack a joke, rather than scare you away. In answer to your question about updating the Who's Who, you might want to try sending a message to Karl Erik who runs the site.

Do stick around!

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 02:26 GMT 

gibsona07 wrote:
Hi stjulien, welcome to ER!

I'm sorry you were offended, but the poster in question is really a rather friendly fellow - not one of the more cranky regulars of which there are admittedly one or two. I think he was just trying to crack a joke, rather than scare you away. In answer to your question about updating the Who's Who, you might want to try sending a message to Karl Erik who runs the site.

Do stick around!

Thanks, gibsona! :)

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 02:50 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Keep plugging along and you will find your place! There is definitely an abundance of sarcasm, sometimes downright rude or mean posts, but I have learned to ignore (for the most part) and that it's them, not me! :P Welcome to ER!

Thank you, raging glory! :)

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 03:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

Belly up to the bar, there's all types here and it's all good fun.

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 19:36 GMT 

It's a bit like the waltzers at the funfair. Sometimes exciting, other times it makes you feel sick.

PostPosted: Fri April 24th, 2015, 22:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Leonard wrote:
It's a bit like the waltzers at the funfair. Sometimes exciting, other times it makes you feel sick.

:shock: :o :lol: 8) :lol:

Did I say welcome stjulienlepauvre, by the way? No? Well, welcome to this fun fair ride!

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 00:13 GMT 
Mercury Member

I'd welcome you but I'm feeling a bit sick so whelk-bbblllleeeeeuuuuugggghhhhhhhhh-ome. Do stick around and if anyone gets uppitty then uppity them right back, having said that behave because you ARE BEING WATCHED but not necessarily by me.

The mysterious omniscient one whose judgement is final will, perhaps open the gates to the pearly kingdom, just remember that "manners maketh the man" (or lady-person)

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 03:39 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Belly up to the bar, there's all types here and it's all good fun.

Thanks, smoke!

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 03:46 GMT 

There can be a bit of pushback that a bob lover must push past.
On the occasion of Thickboy's 8000th post -
Quote:
Thickboy's approach, per se, undermines the pomposity of puerile upstart self-belief with its bombastic claims of his earned authority in a supposed grand cabal of Dylanologists. This much is obvious, albeit slow to reveal itself to the uninitiated. Thickboy cheerfully appears as a fake crony of ER's unseen powers that be, leaving newbies bewildered, heads spinning with confusion like the boy who asked the bartender for a 'bergin,' causing us to laugh all night, in wave after wave. The greatest night of our youth. Thank you, ThickBoy, for this attention to new initiates, and for hazing them in a harmless Tao of welcome. By cutting the knees out from underneath any half baked cries of unfairness, our Boy snatches truthiness from the jaws of deceit, just as by writing in this "esoterically esoteric" way I can weed out casual readers, in a kind of cheap trick that serves to uphold all Thickboy's claims of unimpeachable superiority. Per se.

Indeed, his approach is hilarious, and as transparent as the best April fool gags.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 06:15 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
Leonard wrote:

:shock: :o :lol: 8) :lol:

Did I say welcome stjulienlepauvre, by the way? No? Well, welcome to this fun fair ride!

Thanks, supermabel! :)

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 09:46 GMT 

Hello julienne.
Welcome to this forum.
Stay and post. Post as much as you can. Don't worry if you get negative responses. Just keep posting.
Honestly, the forum desperately needs an infusion of new blood.
Thanks for posting in the poetry section. It's my favourite thread.

Welcome.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 13:35 GMT 
*Senior Contributor*

stjulienlepauvre wrote:
I've loved Dylan's music, more than any other, since a friend brought Lay, Lady, Lay to my house more than 30 years ago. He predicted 'I think you're going to like this.' Understatement.

I finally have enough free time, w/school, jobs and children mainly in the past, so I was enjoying reading maybe about 40+ pages of different posts here. Then, I commented on a few! Whoa. That might have been a mistake. Of my 1st 3 posts, written politely and 'in the King's English,' the first was met w/sarcasm and another response was haughty, arrogant banter.

My take on ER is similar to a progressive's response to why she goes to a Catholic Church. Well, I grew up there (w/Dylan, in this case), and it's my church, too.

Is this a semi-closed club of 'regulars' who prefer to keep it that way and try to discourage anyone new, unless he has the stamina to prove he fits in? :?:

I am shocked, disgusted and absolutely livid with rage that a new member to our community has faced sarcasm, arrogance and haughtiness.

On behalf of all decent, hard-working, tax-paying christian folk on this site, please accept my apologies about this rancid, sickening behaviour... I have no doubt that those who have caused you upset are most likely, per se, probably, bone idle, layabout student types.

I have no idea why we welcome students to this forum... they contribute nothing but upset and heartache.

Let me know who is causing problems and I will ban them for life... as Senior Contributor I will not accept rudeness.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 13:55 GMT 
Mercury Member

Well said - report any haughtiness (or naughtiness) to our Senior contributor and I'm sure your problems will resolve.

Having said that please remember that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, cleanliness is next to godliness, and manners maketh the man/lady/transgender personage.

welcome to the church of Dylan where truth wears sunglasses after dark and goodness wears a white stetson.

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 16:32 GMT 

slimtimslide wrote:
I'd welcome you but I'm feeling a bit sick so whelk-bbblllleeeeeuuuuugggghhhhhhhhh-ome. Do stick around and if anyone gets uppitty then uppity them right back, having said that behave because you ARE BEING WATCHED but not necessarily by me.

The mysterious omniscient one whose judgement is final will, perhaps open the gates to the pearly kingdom, just remember that "manners maketh the man" (or lady-person)

Merci, slimtimslide... :)

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 19:05 GMT 
Mercury Member

thickboy wrote:
stjulienlepauvre wrote:

I am shocked, disgusted and absolutely livid with rage that a new member to our community has faced sarcasm, arrogance and haughtiness.

On behalf of all decent, hard-working, tax-paying christian folk on this site, please accept my apologies about this rancid, sickening behaviour... I have no doubt that those who have caused you upset are most likely, per se, probably, bone idle, layabout student types.

I have no idea why we welcome students to this forum... they contribute nothing but upset and heartache.

Let me know who is causing problems and I will ban them for life... as Senior Contributor I will not accept rudeness.

You're initiation is complete.

WELCOME!

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 19:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

Yes, and from a non tax paying scrounger of no fixed religion I welcome you too. What is your favourite type of Cheese?

PostPosted: Sat April 25th, 2015, 19:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hint: Mr slide is, I'm reliably :lol: advised, very partial to: Shropshire Blue, Roquefort, Wensleydale and Dairylea Dunkers.