Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 05:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 21:55 GMT 

Sure there are differences but boundaries don't cut like that.
It'a on a personal, individual level.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 22:21 GMT 

i don't know what gave you that crazy idea. stereotypes are always 100% accurate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 22:38 GMT 

I just love out of skirts...

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2015, 19:55 GMT 

camilla's house wrote:
i appreciate bob dylan more than the US and europe combined. im that appreciative. i know, i know.

:lol:

No me me me.

The real question is do women appreciate him more than men? A straight man probably wouldn't have any eroticmanical fixations, so I say women, especially those of the fixated variety.

PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2015, 22:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

rwasser wrote:
That said, I observed by listening to boots, that in America there is often more audience talk during songs than it is in Europe. My impression, but I can't tell if this has to do with appreciation or rather with the situation tapers have to deal with in the US.

It's difficult to understand why certain Americans even bother going to concerts, really.
Maybe it's a social thing.
Many of them just can't get over themselves and just don't know any better?
Shit, I hope doesn't make me UNpatriotic! Or...whatever...

PostPosted: Fri March 20th, 2015, 03:09 GMT 

I think you are right. But it also differs from city to city. Of all the places I've lived, New York is the worst for concert audiences. I have no idea why half of the audience spends the money to go to a concert when all they do is talk through the entire show. They just seem disinterested. In Seattle, however, people are so polite and quiet that the shows just seem low energy. There's no excitement. I've tried to analyze it.It must be cultural.

PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2015, 01:56 GMT 
Promethium Member

Callahan wrote:
I think you are right. But it also differs from city to city. Of all the places I've lived, New York is the worst for concert audiences. I have no idea why half of the audience spends the money to go to a concert when all they do is talk through the entire show. They just seem disinterested. In Seattle, however, people are so polite and quiet that the shows just seem low energy. There's no excitement. I've tried to analyze it.It must be cultural.

I agree Callahan. Tough to generalize "America" because there are so many facets.
I don't bother with NYC anymore either. Due, in part, to what you say.
Actually, I dread "big city" tours, in general, wherever on the planet they are.

PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 17:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Europeans appreciate New York more than Americans.

PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 17:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

Trev wrote:
Europeans appreciate New York more than Americans.

I think you may be on to something there Trev.

PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 18:45 GMT 

"It's not British music, it's American music, now come on."

PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 20:09 GMT 

that question is really unanswerable i think. i mean, how would anyone know the definitive answer to that? for some reason, i seem to be under the impression that--in general--Europeans appreciate music more than Americans. but that is only based on my own experiences and observations. i could be very wrong about that. it could be more that Europeans seem to appreciate the kind of music i like more than Americans.
Bob Dylan specifically though. .that is a real tough one because he seems much appreciated anywhere and everywhere. his messages are universal. growing up, even before i had ever delved into his music, i understood that the name Bob Dylan was associated with something the majority of people thought highly of and respected. now, how some people show their respect, that can be a little strange. .
there was a video/documentary i watched awhile ago, and i remember one part when he is getting into his car and his fans are all booing and yelling at him and he is saying, "stop booing me, why are they always booing me" and then once in the car he mentions something about how he can't believe how fast they buy up all the tickets to go see him, but then boo him like that.
i thought that part was funny in the documentary. . "stop booing me"

PostPosted: Mon April 6th, 2015, 20:09 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
I'm starting wonder. JP put a link to some German guy who has a massive website tracking everything Bob has done - very impressive. I know a lot of posters here are from there, and this very site is hosted from where - Sweden?
Some of our most prolific and gifted posters here, Bennyboy andThickboy(one in the same?), are from the UK. JP, I think, is in Germany. jcastro is in Spain(when he isn't here!).

I know from my own experience in America, that even though worldwide superstar that Bob Dylan is, his rabid fans here are really a very small minority. For example, at the place I work, with 25 employees, I'm the only Dylan fan I know of, and I don't even mention it. Pretty much everyone here knows who Bob is, but not not many people are actually into him.

I remember a few years back when super model Cindy Crawford dumped actor Richard Gere, one of the her memorable quotes was "and I don't love Bob Dylan!" - like Richard does.

Some Americans i have met seem , i dunno, respectful towards European culture and a little in awe , almost as if our history and perceived culture has more real meaning than in the states. Bob is a cultural guy , Rimbaud and Voltaire mean a lot to him and being an artist he would connect with that.

However, he sings / is , up to a point, the American songbook. I don't think there s that much difference in the fans here or over the pond. I think America loves him as much as we do in Europe . America and it's smaller history is just as important and culturally they have set the pace for the most part. I don't think Europe and it's people appreciate him more than Americans do. Bob is part of the history of the U.S and through his work he has shown his love for his country and it's people , Europe has been enthralled by his tales of Amerakee and we find American culture to be as interesting and thrilling as Bob finds ours. A mutual appreciation society.

PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2015, 14:29 GMT 

jimboo wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
I'm starting wonder. JP put a link to some German guy who has a massive website tracking everything Bob has done - very impressive. I know a lot of posters here are from there, and this very site is hosted from where - Sweden?
Some of our most prolific and gifted posters here, Bennyboy andThickboy(one in the same?), are from the UK. JP, I think, is in Germany. jcastro is in Spain(when he isn't here!).

I know from my own experience in America, that even though worldwide superstar that Bob Dylan is, his rabid fans here are really a very small minority. For example, at the place I work, with 25 employees, I'm the only Dylan fan I know of, and I don't even mention it. Pretty much everyone here knows who Bob is, but not not many people are actually into him.

I remember a few years back when super model Cindy Crawford dumped actor Richard Gere, one of the her memorable quotes was "and I don't love Bob Dylan!" - like Richard does.

Some Americans i have met seem , i dunno, respectful towards European culture and a little in awe , almost as if our history and perceived culture has more real meaning than in the states. Bob is a cultural guy , Rimbaud and Voltaire mean a lot to him and being an artist he would connect with that.

However, he sings / is , up to a point, the American songbook. I don't think there s that much difference in the fans here or over the pond. I think America loves him as much as we do in Europe . America and it's smaller history is just as important and culturally they have set the pace for the most part. I don't think Europe and it's people appreciate him more than Americans do. Bob is part of the history of the U.S and through his work he has shown his love for his country and it's people , Europe has been enthralled by his tales of Amerakee and we find American culture to be as interesting and thrilling as Bob finds ours. A mutual appreciation society.

Great points. I think part of it is that Europeans, because of their own more literary style, and much larger historical perspective, saw Bob Dylan in a much bigger picture than many Americans, but of course, this is only my own crude speculation.

PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2015, 15:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'd like to know if Dylan fits neatly into some countries' specific traditions, traditions that he may not even be aware of, leading to a very different perception of him than that afforded by America or Britain.
One example would be the tradition of the chansonnier in French speaking countries. Whilst his work wouldn't be seen as rhythmically French, perhaps the literary quality of his lyrics would lead his songs to be be categorised as chansons. In plenty of places he could be seen as being part of a lineage comprising names mysterious to many from Europe and America.

PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2015, 22:36 GMT 

French chansons, in the style of Brassens, Moustaki, Brel (ok, I know he was Belgian), Piaf, sound wordy, are wordy, full of driving purpose and intention, making Dylan's oeuvre a perfect relation.

When Dylan flies into London at the beginning of Don't Look Back, that's the lid being lifted off the box- for the first time, right there- wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.

PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2015, 20:39 GMT 

Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.

Isn't that the tour where they booed him and the whole "judas" thing? The answer to this topic question is no.

PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2015, 23:20 GMT 

i's taught and brought up there
the laws to abide
and that the land that i live in
has god on its side

i dont think bob really gives a shit one way or another

PostPosted: Sat April 11th, 2015, 07:45 GMT 

Sweetheart68 wrote:
Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.

Isn't that the tour where they booed him and the whole "judas" thing? The answer to this topic question is no.

In the interest of keeping the record straight, if my memory serves me well the "Don't Look Back" tour was '65, with the Judas events the following year.

PostPosted: Mon April 13th, 2015, 18:36 GMT 

lol ok. they loved him more for a year. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon April 13th, 2015, 18:48 GMT 

Bob seemed to have a certain thirst for all things British at the time too, and his adopted name, afterall, came from there. Mutual love at first sight. And as they are more of a literate English language culture, I'm sure that aspect excited him. I read somewhere that Christopher Ricks claims or suggests that Bob Dylan has rhymed more words than any writer in history. Yet there people alive today, even a few dim bulbs on this very site, who will fight you day and night claiming Bob Dylan is NOT a literary figure.

PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2015, 18:35 GMT 

When I lived in Europe I appreciated Bob more than I do now in America. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2015, 12:47 GMT 
Promethium Member

The excitement level of the Euros definitely seems way higher than that of the local folks in other areas when the Circus is in town.

PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2015, 23:51 GMT 

Well there's no doubt there are some americans who love Dylan , and they may be pissed off he's spent so much time in europe this year .
I'm British . i'v e never seen dylan live in the US but have twice in Canada and the audience there seemed very enthusiastic. For an canadians, don't want to offend, I know you are not americans. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2015, 01:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

I live in New York & am wild with joy if Bob schedules a show within a few hundred miles of me.
I am excited just thinking about it.

PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2015, 07:51 GMT 

Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Definitely we can count ourselves lucky that we have him here every year!
This is luxury!
I'm so glad about that!
I'm going now for 25 years, one or two times a year!
That's amazing! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next