Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 05:04 GMT

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 21:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29th, 2006, 14:41 GMT
Posts: 4804
Location: In the middle
Sure there are differences but boundaries don't cut like that.
It'a on a personal, individual level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 22:21 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 13th, 2014, 00:45 GMT
Posts: 2005
Location: on the outskirts
i don't know what gave you that crazy idea. stereotypes are always 100% accurate :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 22:38 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 29th, 2006, 14:41 GMT
Posts: 4804
Location: In the middle
I just love out of skirts...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2015, 19:55 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 15th, 2013, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 422
Location: waitin' for it to rain
camilla's house wrote:
i appreciate bob dylan more than the US and europe combined. im that appreciative. i know, i know.


:lol:

No me me me.

The real question is do women appreciate him more than men? A straight man probably wouldn't have any eroticmanical fixations, so I say women, especially those of the fixated variety.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu March 19th, 2015, 22:14 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20906
rwasser wrote:
That said, I observed by listening to boots, that in America there is often more audience talk during songs than it is in Europe. My impression, but I can't tell if this has to do with appreciation or rather with the situation tapers have to deal with in the US.

It's difficult to understand why certain Americans even bother going to concerts, really.
Maybe it's a social thing.
Many of them just can't get over themselves and just don't know any better?
Shit, I hope doesn't make me UNpatriotic! Or...whatever...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri March 20th, 2015, 03:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun October 8th, 2006, 02:33 GMT
Posts: 4145
Location: Brooklyn, NY
I think you are right. But it also differs from city to city. Of all the places I've lived, New York is the worst for concert audiences. I have no idea why half of the audience spends the money to go to a concert when all they do is talk through the entire show. They just seem disinterested. In Seattle, however, people are so polite and quiet that the shows just seem low energy. There's no excitement. I've tried to analyze it.It must be cultural.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat March 21st, 2015, 01:56 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20906
Callahan wrote:
I think you are right. But it also differs from city to city. Of all the places I've lived, New York is the worst for concert audiences. I have no idea why half of the audience spends the money to go to a concert when all they do is talk through the entire show. They just seem disinterested. In Seattle, however, people are so polite and quiet that the shows just seem low energy. There's no excitement. I've tried to analyze it.It must be cultural.

I agree Callahan. Tough to generalize "America" because there are so many facets.
I don't bother with NYC anymore either. Due, in part, to what you say.
Actually, I dread "big city" tours, in general, wherever on the planet they are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 17:25 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2011, 00:25 GMT
Posts: 6661
Europeans appreciate New York more than Americans.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 17:43 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20906
Trev wrote:
Europeans appreciate New York more than Americans.

I think you may be on to something there Trev.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 18:45 GMT 

Joined: Fri April 3rd, 2015, 03:20 GMT
Posts: 53
"It's not British music, it's American music, now come on."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun April 5th, 2015, 20:09 GMT 

Joined: Sun January 11th, 2015, 05:06 GMT
Posts: 88
that question is really unanswerable i think. i mean, how would anyone know the definitive answer to that? for some reason, i seem to be under the impression that--in general--Europeans appreciate music more than Americans. but that is only based on my own experiences and observations. i could be very wrong about that. it could be more that Europeans seem to appreciate the kind of music i like more than Americans.
Bob Dylan specifically though. .that is a real tough one because he seems much appreciated anywhere and everywhere. his messages are universal. growing up, even before i had ever delved into his music, i understood that the name Bob Dylan was associated with something the majority of people thought highly of and respected. now, how some people show their respect, that can be a little strange. .
there was a video/documentary i watched awhile ago, and i remember one part when he is getting into his car and his fans are all booing and yelling at him and he is saying, "stop booing me, why are they always booing me" and then once in the car he mentions something about how he can't believe how fast they buy up all the tickets to go see him, but then boo him like that.
i thought that part was funny in the documentary. . "stop booing me"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon April 6th, 2015, 20:09 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sat February 1st, 2014, 12:13 GMT
Posts: 737
chrome horse wrote:
I'm starting wonder. JP put a link to some German guy who has a massive website tracking everything Bob has done - very impressive. I know a lot of posters here are from there, and this very site is hosted from where - Sweden?
Some of our most prolific and gifted posters here, Bennyboy andThickboy(one in the same?), are from the UK. JP, I think, is in Germany. jcastro is in Spain(when he isn't here!).

I know from my own experience in America, that even though worldwide superstar that Bob Dylan is, his rabid fans here are really a very small minority. For example, at the place I work, with 25 employees, I'm the only Dylan fan I know of, and I don't even mention it. Pretty much everyone here knows who Bob is, but not not many people are actually into him.

I remember a few years back when super model Cindy Crawford dumped actor Richard Gere, one of the her memorable quotes was "and I don't love Bob Dylan!" - like Richard does.



Some Americans i have met seem , i dunno, respectful towards European culture and a little in awe , almost as if our history and perceived culture has more real meaning than in the states. Bob is a cultural guy , Rimbaud and Voltaire mean a lot to him and being an artist he would connect with that.

However, he sings / is , up to a point, the American songbook. I don't think there s that much difference in the fans here or over the pond. I think America loves him as much as we do in Europe . America and it's smaller history is just as important and culturally they have set the pace for the most part. I don't think Europe and it's people appreciate him more than Americans do. Bob is part of the history of the U.S and through his work he has shown his love for his country and it's people , Europe has been enthralled by his tales of Amerakee and we find American culture to be as interesting and thrilling as Bob finds ours. A mutual appreciation society.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2015, 14:29 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
jimboo wrote:
chrome horse wrote:
I'm starting wonder. JP put a link to some German guy who has a massive website tracking everything Bob has done - very impressive. I know a lot of posters here are from there, and this very site is hosted from where - Sweden?
Some of our most prolific and gifted posters here, Bennyboy andThickboy(one in the same?), are from the UK. JP, I think, is in Germany. jcastro is in Spain(when he isn't here!).

I know from my own experience in America, that even though worldwide superstar that Bob Dylan is, his rabid fans here are really a very small minority. For example, at the place I work, with 25 employees, I'm the only Dylan fan I know of, and I don't even mention it. Pretty much everyone here knows who Bob is, but not not many people are actually into him.

I remember a few years back when super model Cindy Crawford dumped actor Richard Gere, one of the her memorable quotes was "and I don't love Bob Dylan!" - like Richard does.



Some Americans i have met seem , i dunno, respectful towards European culture and a little in awe , almost as if our history and perceived culture has more real meaning than in the states. Bob is a cultural guy , Rimbaud and Voltaire mean a lot to him and being an artist he would connect with that.

However, he sings / is , up to a point, the American songbook. I don't think there s that much difference in the fans here or over the pond. I think America loves him as much as we do in Europe . America and it's smaller history is just as important and culturally they have set the pace for the most part. I don't think Europe and it's people appreciate him more than Americans do. Bob is part of the history of the U.S and through his work he has shown his love for his country and it's people , Europe has been enthralled by his tales of Amerakee and we find American culture to be as interesting and thrilling as Bob finds ours. A mutual appreciation society.


Great points. I think part of it is that Europeans, because of their own more literary style, and much larger historical perspective, saw Bob Dylan in a much bigger picture than many Americans, but of course, this is only my own crude speculation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue April 7th, 2015, 15:57 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri December 9th, 2011, 00:25 GMT
Posts: 6661
I'd like to know if Dylan fits neatly into some countries' specific traditions, traditions that he may not even be aware of, leading to a very different perception of him than that afforded by America or Britain.
One example would be the tradition of the chansonnier in French speaking countries. Whilst his work wouldn't be seen as rhythmically French, perhaps the literary quality of his lyrics would lead his songs to be be categorised as chansons. In plenty of places he could be seen as being part of a lineage comprising names mysterious to many from Europe and America.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed April 8th, 2015, 22:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Tue January 29th, 2013, 15:22 GMT
Posts: 1263
Location: The Zoom & the Roar & the Thrust
French chansons, in the style of Brassens, Moustaki, Brel (ok, I know he was Belgian), Piaf, sound wordy, are wordy, full of driving purpose and intention, making Dylan's oeuvre a perfect relation.

When Dylan flies into London at the beginning of Don't Look Back, that's the lid being lifted off the box- for the first time, right there- wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2015, 20:39 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 15th, 2013, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 422
Location: waitin' for it to rain
Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.


Isn't that the tour where they booed him and the whole "judas" thing? The answer to this topic question is no.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri April 10th, 2015, 23:20 GMT 

Joined: Sat September 13th, 2014, 00:45 GMT
Posts: 2005
Location: on the outskirts
i's taught and brought up there
the laws to abide
and that the land that i live in
has god on its side

i dont think bob really gives a shit one way or another


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat April 11th, 2015, 07:45 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Fri January 5th, 2007, 23:38 GMT
Posts: 1833
Location: Ireland
Sweetheart68 wrote:
Zeppelin Crumble wrote:
wherein the most intense appreciation of Dylan has resided ever since.


Isn't that the tour where they booed him and the whole "judas" thing? The answer to this topic question is no.


In the interest of keeping the record straight, if my memory serves me well the "Don't Look Back" tour was '65, with the Judas events the following year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon April 13th, 2015, 18:36 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun September 15th, 2013, 22:58 GMT
Posts: 422
Location: waitin' for it to rain
lol ok. they loved him more for a year. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon April 13th, 2015, 18:48 GMT 

Joined: Wed February 16th, 2005, 21:50 GMT
Posts: 4941
Location: New Hampshire
Bob seemed to have a certain thirst for all things British at the time too, and his adopted name, afterall, came from there. Mutual love at first sight. And as they are more of a literate English language culture, I'm sure that aspect excited him. I read somewhere that Christopher Ricks claims or suggests that Bob Dylan has rhymed more words than any writer in history. Yet there people alive today, even a few dim bulbs on this very site, who will fight you day and night claiming Bob Dylan is NOT a literary figure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue April 14th, 2015, 18:35 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Mon June 11th, 2007, 11:45 GMT
Posts: 3444
Location: by the Pesky pole
When I lived in Europe I appreciated Bob more than I do now in America. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2015, 12:47 GMT 
Promethium Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri July 15th, 2011, 02:23 GMT
Posts: 20906
The excitement level of the Euros definitely seems way higher than that of the local folks in other areas when the Circus is in town.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu November 26th, 2015, 23:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun June 19th, 2011, 12:06 GMT
Posts: 1149
Location: Wirral , UK sometimes canada sometimes spain
Well there's no doubt there are some americans who love Dylan , and they may be pissed off he's spent so much time in europe this year .
I'm British . i'v e never seen dylan live in the US but have twice in Canada and the audience there seemed very enthusiastic. For an canadians, don't want to offend, I know you are not americans. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2015, 01:11 GMT 
Titanium Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu December 27th, 2012, 20:36 GMT
Posts: 8466
Location: over the shadows & the rain
I live in New York & am wild with joy if Bob schedules a show within a few hundred miles of me.
I am excited just thinking about it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri November 27th, 2015, 07:51 GMT 
User avatar

Joined: Sun March 15th, 2009, 10:59 GMT
Posts: 3679
Location: In the valley of the giants where the stars and stripes explode
Definitely we can count ourselves lucky that we have him here every year!
This is luxury!
I'm so glad about that!
I'm going now for 25 years, one or two times a year!
That's amazing! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bluegrunt


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group