Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 05:39 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Time Out Of ReMind
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:03 GMT 

Ok, inspired by a thread recently which looked at how one might use the various outtakes to 'reimagine' Time Out Of Mind, I thought I'd give it a go myself.

I've always quite liked TOOM - it clearly was a major effort by Bob and signalled a marshalling of artistic vision which we hadn't seen since Oh Mercy.

The problem with the album for me though has always been twofold:
1) It's too bloody looooong
2) The song choices and pacing are a bit too 'beige' and boringly monotone - something not helped by Lanois' foggy, swirling production. There's too little light and shade for the album to really fly, in my view.

So, with that in mind (ta da!) I've constructed my own version of the album, using those offcuts from Tell Tale Signs, and a touch of my own EQ to bring things into some sense of cohesion.

Et voila - Time Out Of ReMind is born - an actually ending TOOR of Bob at his "Life is shite" best.

1. Love Sick - 2004 Remix
2. Marchin' To The City - edited to remove those lines he ended up recycling in other songs
3. Mississippi - TTS take 1
4. Cold Irons Bound
5. Standing In The Doorway
6. Tryin' To Get To Heaven
7. Can't Wait
- TTS take 1
8. Not Dark Yet
9. Red River Shore - TTS take 1

Obviously I wouldn't suggest people PM me to sample it, cos that would be wrong.

And clearly, not including 'Highlands' or 'Make You Sniff My Glove' will piss off the more flappy of the flapjacks who reside here, but hey, this works for me and it is now canon in my warped universe.

Bring on your own ideas. I'd be interested in knowing which path -cycle or psycho - you'd take with this one yourself.....

Post subject: Re: Time Out Of ReMind
PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:25 GMT 

Love Sick (2004 remix) - is that your own work remixing or was that released on some EP? I don't see a problem with the lack of 'Highlands' and certainly not 'Make you Feel My Love'. I have to disagree with 'Marchin' to the City' - Dreamin' of You is the superior song.

Good idea for a thread - I'm gonna try your sequencing, although the 2004 'remix' is confusing me.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 10:30 GMT 

Oneofusmustknow wrote:
Love Sick (2004 remix) - is that your own work remixing or was that released on some EP? I don't see a problem with the lack of 'Highlands' and certainly not 'Make you Feel My Love'. I have to disagree with 'Marchin' to the City' - Dreamin' of You is the superior song.

Good idea for a thread - I'm gonna try your sequencing, although the 2004 'remix' is confusing me.

http://www.searchingforagem.com/2000s/2004.htm

'Dreaming of You' is basically a prototype 'Standing In The Doorway', so no, I totally disagree.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 12:56 GMT 

Given that "Dreamin' Of You" is reasonably up-tempo, it could vary the sound a bit. Given its lyrical similarities to "Standing In The Doorway," and "Standing In The Doorway" sitting square in the middle of this CD, it could slot in nicely immediately before or after it a la "Forever Young" in Planet Waves - two perspectives of the 'same' song. The only thing I'd really miss with this layout are "Million Miles" and "Dirt Road Blues." "Dirt Road Blues," in particular, could jazz up the tempo without needlessly padding out the runtime. Maybe placed immediately after Love Sick, as on the released album?

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 13:07 GMT 

Where can I get this remix of Love Sick?

When I made my Time Out Of Mynd mix I had to go with the live one from the Grammy's which I always liked more than the album cut.

While I love Standing In The Doorway I went with Dreamin' Of You as an earlier but more upbeat and cleaner sound of what it became later. (I would not put both on because one is like the demo of the other and the Forever Young note makes me sure of that as I have always hated how Bob used that. To start and end the album like Tonight's The Night is one thing, twice is a row is quite another.)

I used some live takes when I put my album together since they are recorded from the same period. I think Bob could really use a move like that on album by combing live tracks and studio takes to craft an album fully realizing his strengths.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 13:16 GMT 

1. Mississippi (LAT)
2. Love Sick (Grammy's)
3. Dirt Road Blues (TOOM)
4. Dreamin' Of You (TTS)
5. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (TOOM)
6. Not Dark Yet (TOOM)
7. Make You Feel My Love (Live)
8. Can't Wait (TTS)
9. Shake Sugaree (Live)
10. Red River Shore (TTS)
11. Highlands (Live)

Slightly changed from what I originally posted and I know that I cheated with Mississippi, but it's my call this time, right? An earlier Mississippi take could just as well start the album. Red River Shore could easily end the album but I like getting lost in Highlands and this is just fun. I just can't seem to unlock Tempest (song) the same way I was able to get into this one.

I am taking more and more to Tempest (album) each day as I have been really feeling it lately I am coming to understand the initial connections noted between it and TOOM. I love the cleaner sound.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 13:42 GMT 

I think y'all should start a recording company called ReMind ReWind! :arrow:

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 13:52 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
Given that "Dreamin' Of You" is reasonably up-tempo, it could vary the sound a bit. Given its lyrical similarities to "Standing In The Doorway," and "Standing In The Doorway" sitting square in the middle of this CD, it could slot in nicely immediately before or after it a la "Forever Young" in Planet Waves - two perspectives of the 'same' song.

Noooooooooooo. I hate the replication of lyrics, it just doesn't work.

Not only that, but the lyrics of 'Dreamin' Of You' are really poor

The light in this place
Is really bad
It's like being in the bottom
Of a stream

In the bottom of a stream? What the f*ckity f*ck?

Miss so much
The softest touch
Like the grave of some child
Who neither wept nor smiled
I'm hiding my faith in the rain

And this means what exactly?

For years they had me
Locked in a cage
Then they threw me
Onto the stage

Bob used to work for Siegfried and Roy, evidently.

Everything in the way
Is so shy like the day
In queer and unusual form

Spirals of golden haze
Here and there in a blaze
Like beams of light in a star

Oh for f*ck's sake, I give up.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 14:12 GMT 

Love Sick
Standing In The Doorway
Tryin To Get To Heaven
Make You Feel My Love
Dreamin Of You
Girl From The Red River Shore
Not Dark Yet
Highlands

I don't care how alike Dreamin Of You and Standing In The Doorway are, they're both so damn good. And I think you have to include Highlands, it's an epic Dylan song.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 14:38 GMT 

Red River Shore makes for a much more compelling closer than Highlands. The latter is just too shaggy. Yeah, it's nice to know Bob likes eggs and perves on young women, but not for 35 verses. One of those songs I need a week's sleep before playing.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 14:43 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
Red River Shore makes for a much more compelling closer than Highlands. The latter is just too Shaggy. Yeah, it's nice to know Bob likes eggs and peeves on young women, but not for 35 verses. One of those songs I need a week's sleep before playing.

I fully agree. I can listen to RRS over and over but Highlands can be a struggle at times for me.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 14:49 GMT 

I must admit, I like the "foggy" atmosphere on TOOM and long to hear the 30 minute take of Highlands. Still, I can only listen to it when I'm in a particular mood.

This reimagination is great at presenting it in a lighter style, beginning with the "cleaner" Love Sick. It's nice to have Mississippi in between these other songs and Red River Shore is a good album closer.

I'm sure I'll get back to TOOR when wanting to listen to TOOM songs, just like I do with goodnitesteve's "Less Dark" and "Still Dark" live compilations.

By the way, I'm curious, did you overlook the "my house is on fire..." line in Marchin' To The City or did you keep it in, because you excluded 'Til I Fell in Love ith You anyway?

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 15:22 GMT 

Absolutely Sour Marie wrote:
I must admit, I like the "foggy" atmosphere on TOOM and long to hear the 30 minute take of Highlands. Still, I can only listen to it when I'm in a particular mood.

This reimagination is great at presenting it in a lighter style, beginning with the "cleaner" Love Sick. It's nice to have Mississippi in between these other songs and Red River Shore is a good album closer.

I'm sure I'll get back to TOOR when wanting to listen to TOOM songs, just like I do with goodnitesteve's "Less Dark" and "Still Dark" live compilations.

By the way, I'm curious, did you overlook the "my house is on fire..." line in Marchin' To The City or did you keep it in, because you excluded 'Til I Fell in Love ith You anyway?

Cheers. Yeah i kept the house on fire line, just as I kept the' 'hit too hard..' lines, because clearly the 2 songs share a lot of DNA, and these seem to be important lines. Couldn't have both songs, just like having 'Dreamin' and 'Standing' would be stupid, so I picked what in my mind is the better song. And my arm in editing it down was to avoid any duplication with other songs I was including.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 15:54 GMT 
Titanium Member

Hungryhoss wrote:

Miss so much
The softest touch

They're certainly, uh, variable, the lyrics in this song - but they're better if you don't just take them from
a random shite internet lyric site. Here's something closer to what he sings :

Means so much, the softest touch
By the grave of some child
who neither wept or smiled
I'm ponderin' my faith in the rain

I do like Dreamin' Of You, sound and feel, but it's not a finished song.

Also, Highlands is immense.

PostPosted: Sat March 28th, 2015, 19:09 GMT 

Trev wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

Miss so much
The softest touch

They're certainly, uh, variable, the lyrics in this song - but they're better if you don't just take them from
a random shite internet lyric site. Here's something closer to what he sings :

Means so much, the softest touch
By the grave of some child
who neither wept or smiled
I'm ponderin' my faith in the rain

I do like Dreamin' Of You, sound and feel, but it's not a finished song.

Also, Highlands is immense.

Thanks for the corrected lyrics - I was in a rush so did use one of those shite lyrics sites, you're right. The ones you have quoted are better, I agree.

But still, it's an unfocused drifting sketch of a song which pales completely next to the beauty of 'Standing..', which surely is one of his best latterday compositions.

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 05:15 GMT 

Listening to comp right now and it works really well.......

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 08:12 GMT 

Definitely drags less than the original sequence, and by God that TTS take of Can't Wait trounces the official release.

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 20:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

I like the production of Time Out of Mind. The songs are very good and the production makes the album stand out from all the rest of Bob's work. Had all his other albums (or any others, actually) sounded like this, it may not seem so intriguing but I like the foggy, swirling sound.

Marchin' to the City is fine but having it on Tell Tale Signs is good enough for me. I don't think it would fit with the rest of Time Out of Mind though perhaps with the remixes it would make more sense. Mississippi is nice but I rarely listen to it from Tell Tale Signs as the Love and Theft version very nearly buries it for me. Red River Shore... It's one of the songs from Tell Tale Signs I listen to the most. If anything, maybe Bob should have released Time Out of Mind as a double album

Any version of Time Out of Mind (Remind) that doesn't include Dirt Road Blues is going to fall short and has minimal appeal to me. And leaving off Million Miles, 'Til I Fell In Love with You and Highlands... I'd rather have heaven and earth fade away.

PostPosted: Sun March 29th, 2015, 22:35 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
1) It's too bloody looooong
2) The song choices and pacing are a bit too 'beige' and boringly monotone - something not helped by Lanois' foggy, swirling production. There's too little light and shade for the album to really fly, in my view.

I agree, maybe to a lesser extent though.

I do not miss "Million Miles" and "'Till I Fell in Love with You." I'm not sure if "Marchin' to the City" works as is though - it's a nice outtake, but not sure if it works for a finished album. Same with "Mississippi" - I think Bob made the right call to save that one. Good call on "Can't Wait" - it's actually easy to edit the start so that it begins right on the piano, you'd never know it was a run through. "Red River Shore" is also spot on.

"Highlands" is a tough call for me. I thought it was pretty boring until I heard the 10 minute live versions (circa 1999-2000) where they nearly double the speed without cutting a verse. That isn't to say it's fast - it just strolls along instead of dripping like molasses. With a better overall arrangement, including some nice fills by the guitarists, and Dylan's excellent phrasing, it's the version I vastly prefer.

PostPosted: Mon March 30th, 2015, 01:42 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
I like the production of Time Out of Mind. The songs are very good and the production makes the album stand out from all the rest of Bob's work. Had all his other albums (or any others, actually) sounded like this, it may not seem so intriguing but I like the foggy, swirling sound.

Marchin' to the City is fine but having it on Tell Tale Signs is good enough for me. I don't think it would fit with the rest of Time Out of Mind though perhaps with the remixes it would make more sense. Mississippi is nice but I rarely listen to it from Tell Tale Signs as the Love and Theft version very nearly buries it for me. Red River Shore... It's one of the songs from Tell Tale Signs I listen to the most. If anything, maybe Bob should have released Time Out of Mind as a double album

Any version of Time Out of Mind (Remind) that doesn't include Dirt Road Blues is going to fall short and has minimal appeal to me. And leaving off Million Miles, 'Til I Fell In Love with You and Highlands... I'd rather have heaven and earth fade away.

Trollin to get to heaven eh? Double album! Classic.

PostPosted: Mon March 30th, 2015, 10:36 GMT 

Eh? Time Out Of Mind IS a double album... or have I missed something?

PostPosted: Mon March 30th, 2015, 10:46 GMT 

Rimshottbob wrote:
Eh? Time Out Of Mind IS a double album... or have I missed something?

No, its not you - Untrodden and the logic of our dimension are not on friendly terms.

PostPosted: Mon March 30th, 2015, 11:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

:shock:

I state the obvious and I'm the one not on friendly terms with the logic of our dimension?!

PostPosted: Mon March 30th, 2015, 11:51 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
:shock:

I state the obvious and I'm the one not on friendly terms with the logic of our dimension?!

All I know is that Christopher Nolan is planning a follow up to Interstellar, in which Matthew Mahogany plays a music fan who travels into a parallel universe where Christmas In The Heart sounds awesome.
That he's calling it The Untrodden Path can't be a coincidence......

PostPosted: Wed August 31st, 2016, 15:05 GMT 

This is still not available for those who don't PM me.