It is currently Wed November 22nd, 2017, 18:26 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 01:45 GMT 

Theme Time Radio Hour Show # 101
Kiss – complete version

Part 1: https://www.sendspace.com/file/puzpzq
Part 2: https://www.sendspace.com/file/gpsot5

duration: 60:53

composite of all elements included in German broadcast (Eins Live) and British broadcast (BBC)

sources: Eins Live stream rip and BBC stream rip

edited in Audacity 2.0.5

edited by Mr. Echo

The BBC broadcast has better sound quality, so it forms the basis of the composite version. Missing elements were added from the German broadcast and might be detectable because of a slightly inferior sound quality.

---

tracklist:

1. Intro by Ellen Barkin [music: Prelude To A Kiss – Ben Webster (excerpt)]
A Little Love, A Little Kiss – Eddie Lang (excerpt)
Clip from the film Casablanca (1942)
It‘s In His Kiss (The Shoop Shoop Song) – Betty Everett (1964)
2. Smooching – Mark Knopfler (excerpt)
Always Late With Your Kisses – Lefty Frizzell (1951)
3. I Will Survive – The Texas Gypsies (excerpt)
Sombra Que Besa – Trío Matamoros y Los Guaracheros De Oriente (excerpt)
Passionate Kisses – Lucinda Williams (1988)
4. Kissing At Midnight – Billy Boy Arnold (1957)
5. Kissing Is A Crime – The Original Carter Family (excerpt)
Kiss – Prince (1986)
Kiss Make Up (commercial featuring Rockin‘ In the U.S.A.)
mistletoe legend
6. Kissing In The Dark – Memphis Minnie (1953)
7. Sealed With A Kiss – Artist Unknown (excerpt)
Clip from the film Naked Kiss (1964)
April Kisses – Eddie Lang (excerpt)
Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye – Danny White (1963)
8. Pucker Paint – Huelyn Duvall (1960)
9. Lipstick Sunset – John Hiatt (excerpt) + the story of Connie Francis
Lipstick On Your Collar – Connie Francis (1959)
10. (’Til) I Kissed You – The Everly Brothers (1959)
11. Lou Rossinhol – Geoffrey Mitchell Choir & Martin Best (excerpt)
Pepe Le Pew clip from Looney Tunes
Besame Mucho – Pérez Prado (excerpt)
Let‘s Kiss And Make Up – The Falcons (1963)
12. Smooch – Miles Davis (excerpt)
Baby Let Me Kiss You One More Time – Roy Head & The Traits (1958)
Clip from the film Junior Prom (1946)
13. The Kiss – Nicholas Hooper (excerpt)
Last Kiss – J. Frank Wilson & The Cavaliers (1964)
Kissing A Wolf – Johnny Klimek & Reinhold Heil (excerpt)
14. A Kiss To Build A Dream On – Louis Armstrong (1951)
Bob Dylan reads To A Kiss by Robert Burns [music: Romance de los Pinos – Andrés Segovia (excerpt)]
Kiss Urass Goodbye – Redd Foxx (excerpt)
credits [music: Top Cat Jazzy Theme – Artist Unknown (excerpt)]

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 09:24 GMT 

Download just started - thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 11:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thank you. You're a gent/lady, sir/madam! And a toff! :D

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 15:20 GMT 

Great job! Thank you ! Will download it soon.

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 15:31 GMT 
Mercury Member

A Kiss to you.... in german and english, though french might be better.... a spanish kiss is reserved for very close friends

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 16:50 GMT 
Mercury Member

Was this strange variation in edits a common thing twixt countries? The 101 CD collection I now have felt complete until now it's reaching 102.... I prefer the originals to the BBC versions just coz the Beeb liked to make sure we knew where we were hearing them, but if some shows varied their content like this I suppose I want to know, though the thought of replacing my collection is beyond insanity and much as I love 'em I doubt I'll listen to all of them again.... it remains a brilliant example of what a Radio show can be. I altered my own show (from a pretend submarine with a cow for company) in his wake....

On a tangent I must recommend the book (and film) of Garrison Keiller's "Radio Romance" which is just fantastic and kinda sums up the raw enthusiasm (and sometime downright cruelty) of local radio as Bob would have heard it elsewhere. You will not regret reading the book....

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 17:37 GMT 

A note on the edits: The BBC version often crossfades Bob's comments into the end of the preceding song. The German broadcast lets most of the songs play out, with Bob's comments following after the song. For the composite version I used the clean song endings from the German broadcast whenever possible, because I assume that's how the original version was edited.

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 17:58 GMT 
Mercury Member

it's a great and welcomed piece of work, thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 22:34 GMT 

would it be possible to post an mp3 version? would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun March 15th, 2015, 23:47 GMT 
Mercury Member

hudjamie wrote:

oh my god.... ok, go to google and download either traders little helper or one of the many other free programmes (I've used many and they all have their plus's and minuses) and DO IT.... its easy, it is also degrading the sound quality so much you may as well gum your ears up with mud but it's still a relatively free world in cyberland.....

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 00:11 GMT 
Titanium Member

hudjamie wrote:

The download includes an mp3 @ 320 kbps version of the whole show! It's called Theme Time Radio Hour Episode 101 Kiss.mp3.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 07:56 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
A note on the edits: The BBC version often crossfades Bob's comments into the end of the preceding song. The German broadcast lets most of the songs play out, with Bob's comments following after the song. For the composite version I used the clean song endings from the German broadcast whenever possible, because I assume that's how the original version was edited.

"Original version"? That's intersting. Do you mean that there is a third (original TTRH) version, apart from the "german" and the "english" show that we have now? And if so, whatever happened to it? And will we ever get to hear it?

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 20:22 GMT 

WrittenInMySoul wrote:

"Original version"? That's intersting. Do you mean that there is a third (original TTRH) version, apart from the "german" and the "english" show that we have now? And if so, whatever happened to it? And will we ever get to hear it?

The "original version" is what I tried to reconstruct. Dylan's people must have delivered a multitrack audio file of the "Kiss" show to Eins Live in Germany and the BBC in England. It is this file that I call the "original version". Eins Live and the BBC edited the show to fit their respective formats, which resulted in two shorter versions. I assume the composite that I created using the Eins Live and BBC broadcasts to be a reconstruction of and thus identical to the "original version". It uses all elements found in both the Eins Live and the BBC versions to create the longest version possible, which at just over 60 mins (including full intro and end credits) has the length of an average episode of Theme Time Radio Hour as originally broadcast from 2006–2009.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 21:19 GMT 

Thank you. Very grateful.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 22:26 GMT 

supermabel1 wrote:
hudjamie wrote:

The download includes an mp3 @ 320 kbps version of the whole show! It's called Theme Time Radio Hour Episode 101 Kiss.mp3.

Just to clarify: My DL links at the top of this thread do not include any mp3 files, just the aif files of the composite of the Eins Live and BBC versions.

Feel free to convert to mp3 or any other format. Audio converters can be found online.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 23:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

supermabel1 wrote:

Just to clarify: My DL links at the top of this thread do not include any mp3 files, just the aif files of the composite of the Eins Live and BBC versions.

Feel free to convert to mp3 or any other format. Audio converters can be found online.

OK. Where did I get that mp3 from? (Question to myself! :? ) Any confuzzlement caused is regretted.....

Hmm... it's clearly somethin' I d'loaded earlier :roll: and not a My Echo, My Shadow And Me composite. Age. Have I had my tea? :?

Last edited by supermabel1 on Mon March 16th, 2015, 23:36 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 23:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

confuzzlement deserves a prize for word of the month at least

PostPosted: Mon March 16th, 2015, 23:37 GMT 
Titanium Member

slimtimslide wrote:
confuzzlement deserves a prize for word of the month at least

You're too kind, Sir!

PostPosted: Tue March 17th, 2015, 07:04 GMT 

Dang! I'm so looking forward to hearing this - I downloaded the SendSpace files, but I cannot get them working nor open them as mp3s. I would also very much appreciate a regular mp3 download. Please!!

But at any rate; much obliged and thanks for the efforts you put into cutting and pasting the show together to what we expect is completion!

PostPosted: Tue March 17th, 2015, 21:57 GMT 

CS_Nielsen wrote:
Dang! I'm so looking forward to hearing this - I downloaded the SendSpace files, but I cannot get them working nor open them as mp3s. I would also very much appreciate a regular mp3 download. Please!!

But at any rate; much obliged and thanks for the efforts you put into cutting and pasting the show together to what we expect is completion!

The files in the download are zip files. You need Winzip (PC) or Zipeg (MAC) or a similar program to open the files. Extractor software like that can easily be found online and for free. Search for "open zip files". Once extracted you have the aif audio files. Feel free to convert to mp3 (once again converters can be found online, search for "audio converter").

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 06:13 GMT 

I read you, and I may just be an idiot, but several problems occur along the way. 1) It's been impossible for me to download the second file sufficiently. 2) I have downloaded the first file and even managed to open it in a zip-comprized folder, but only three of the seven audio tracks are playable. 3) Every time I try to download the SendSpace files a new weird virus looking popup seems to be added to my computer... But then again, I may just be an idiot. I wish I could hear the show though...

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 11:31 GMT 

This is strange. Anybody else got any problems with the files? I'll try to get an mp3 file up and running later today for all those who prefer that format.

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 11:46 GMT 
Mercury Member

CS_Nielsen wrote:
I read you, and I may just be an idiot, but several problems occur along the way. 1) It's been impossible for me to download the second file sufficiently. 2) I have downloaded the first file and even managed to open it in a zip-comprized folder, but only three of the seven audio tracks are playable. 3) Every time I try to download the SendSpace files a new weird virus looking popup seems to be added to my computer... But then again, I may just be an idiot. I wish I could hear the show though...

This does sound a little worrying, I know that with some DL sites there are often DL labels trying to get you to grab other gunk rather than thefiles you actually want (I get them for Macsmart all the time and it's crap and annoying), it may be a silly question but you ARE clicking the correct buttons???

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 13:25 GMT 

This is strange. Anybody else got any problems with the files? I'll try to get an mp3 file up and running later today for all those who prefer that format.

First, thank you!

In answer to the various questions. it looks like SendSpace is handling the download of the two files differently, at least on my Mac. Part 1 gave me the option to use a SendSpace "accelerator", which in turn downloaded the Zip archive. That downloaded relatively quickly. Part 2 didn't have the accelerator option and SendSpace drastically throttled the download, requiring over an hour to download the 269 MB Zip file.

SendSpace will indeed try to install a variety of junkware, but as far as I can tell will always give you the option of opting out and not downloading whatever it's trying to foist on you.

As "My Echo..." noted, the files are aiff files, playable on a Macintosh. For those preferring MP3, there are dozens of online or downloadable tools to convert. I use http://media.io/

PostPosted: Wed March 18th, 2015, 19:11 GMT 

The aiff files play just fine in Windows using a Videolan VLC media player.