Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 15:16 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed February 11th, 2015, 20:58 GMT 

In his book ‘Positively 4th. Street’
(The life and times of Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, Mimi Baez Farina & Richard Farina) David Hajdu relates the following story:

Early April 1964?
Quote:
“At that time, and it wasn’t a long time, when he was on my tour with me and we were getting very close, it was very sweet between us.” said Joan.
“I was very nurturing, and he was incredibly vulnerable and endearing. We didn’t clash much at all, which is amazing, considering that we both had egos—and when we did, it didn’t last long. A lovely thing was happening and I didn’t want it to end.”

After the concert in Boston, an outdoor affair at the Boston Common (see note below), Bob and Joan had a squabble over something small. They went to Club 47 together that night, barley talking to each other, and took a table. The evening’s performer was Ray Pong, a Dartmouth educated microbiologist and part time folk singer; noticing Joan in the audience, he asked her if she would like to come up and do a song, but she declined. He asked Bob, in turn, and Dylan accepted. Bob struggled to work Pong’s guitar strap over his shoulder, it was too tight for him and pulled the guitar up to his chest. Making do, Dylan crouched a bit and sang a couple of songs. Then he lit a cigarette and started a third song, singing through the corner of a mouth as he smoked: “ It ain’t no use to sit and wonder why, babe”…….” ----”Don’t think twice, it’s alright.” As he continued the lament to a doomed romance, Joan walked to the stage and sat in a chair next to Bob, on his right as he stood singing. “It was difficult to watch” said Richard Waterman, who tried taking some pictures of Joan and Bob that night. “It was kind of uncomfortable to see that she had come up so sadly, he was kind of angry, and she was upset and reaching out. It was the kind of thing you thought you should turn away from----you shouldn’t see----and you couldn’t take your eyes away from.” Joan picked a tambourine off the floor and played it softly, tapping it against the side of the chair with her right hand. With her left hand, she began slowly rubbing the small of Dylan’s back. Bob continued the song without acknowledging her, and Joan closed her eyes as he sang.

Here is a photograph of the incident:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhor ... 8/sizes/o/

Quote:
Eric von Schmidt was later commissioned by Manny Greenhill to do a painting of Baez and Dylan for a tour poster. For a reference image, von Schmidt used the poignant photograph that Waterman had taken at Club 47. “I had to adapt it---it was like doing a Chinese puzzle”. Von Schmidt said. Manny and Albert Grossman insisted Baez and Dylan had to be exactly the same size. Neither one could look more important than the other, and I had to do the type so neither of their names were first and neither of them above the other” His solution was an off-kilter design whereby Joan’s name and image appear first from left to right, but Bob’s come first from top to bottom.

Here is an image of the poster:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollowhor ... 2/sizes/o/

The posters were printed up in time for the February concert in Bridgewater, Mass. Grossman ordered them to be destroyed, he said that Dylan didn’t like them, stating that Dylan thought Joan’s face was too big and too much in the foreground and that von Schmidt had made his nose look too big. They had to print up new posters with no pictures, just type.

Some notes:
1. From what I can find, Dylan & Baez appeared at the Symphony Hall, Boston in early April, they are also listed as being at Club 47 in early April, I’m not sure how this relates to the ‘Outdoor affair' on Boston Common prior to the Club 47 stooshie as outlined in the story.

2. Although Grossman had ordered the posters destroyed, the painting was used for Dylan/Baez concerts up until at least the March 6th Concert in New Haven. There is a poster for a 19th March concert at Raleigh, NC. But I can find no record of this gig. Dylan & Baez had played concerts on both the 17th. & 18th. in Pittsburgh & I’m not sure of the logistics of presenting a concert in NC. The following night, perhaps this concert was cancelled.

3. it does worry me a tad that this could have taken place in 1963, Hajdu is fairly vague on dates and Dylan looks rather young for 1964. Joan does say "At that time, and it wasn’t a long time, when he was on my tour with me" Though being on tour with someone is not the same as the occasional stage invite, I'll stick with 1964.

Pick up the book if you get a chance, there is plenty of Dylan in it but the stories of the other three involved and the general flavour of the time are well worth a read.

As usual, all comments/corrections will be most welcome.

PostPosted: Wed February 25th, 2015, 23:12 GMT 

hollowhorn, that's a really interesting post. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu February 26th, 2015, 00:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

Definitely another one for my list of books to read. Thanks, hollowhorn - for the text and the pictures - that was very interesting.