Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 15:04 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri January 16th, 2015, 14:54 GMT 

I own "Motel Pool" from Dylan's Drawn Blank 2009 series. Two years ago I went on a vacation, alone. I arrived at the resort/hotel late. In the morning when I opened my door to go to the beach I was in front of the swimming pool. Something clicked in my brain...I thought "have I been here before, why does it look so familiar?" About five minutes later I realized that the pool and surrounding area was exactly the same as Dylan's "Motel Pool". I downloaded a copy of the drawing and a photograph I took of it framed on my wall at home. They are identical. I went to the manager's office and asked if Bob Dylan had stayed there. He couldn't be sure but told me that he has seen Dylan eating at the restaurant next door. I showed him the drawing and my photo. He agreed there was no doubt that the drawing was of the pool at his resort. Since then I have showed the two photos to dozens of people and everyone agrees that they are the exact same place. I chose this resort/ hotel at random. I wanted a small hotel across from the beach because I was recovering from a motorcycle accident and couldn't walk far to get to the ocean. I went again last year. Has anyone been to this place? I will not divulge the City or the resort/hotel. I will, however, verify a correct response if anyone has one.

PostPosted: Sat January 17th, 2015, 20:32 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hello Not Ordinary....welcome to ER.... interesting first post..... if sort of odd.... there are so many places that you could be talking about.... cities, states, even countries..... and if someone else didn't have the same viewpoint as you.... and even if they did and didn't make the connection then they would not know if they have been there or not.... Really, it would be ok if you told us where... at least the city... we won't tell anyone..... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun January 18th, 2015, 12:04 GMT 

Hi Lilly Rose, I agree that my post is a bit odd. I should have waited until fully awake before writing. And it could use some extensive editing. I don't really get the logic of yout point of view. Of course it could be anywhere in the world, that's obvious. If allowed I would post both photographs. One of the painting and one of what I am sure is the actual place. At least you know that the country I refer to has a beach and a big ocean. (am I allowed to post the photographs?)

PostPosted: Sun January 18th, 2015, 17:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Why can't you just tell us the name and location of the motel? :? :?:

PostPosted: Sun January 18th, 2015, 18:20 GMT 
Mercury Member

Not Ordinary, someone recently had a similar experience with a hotel room and posted about it here on ER. As I recall, they posted images with no problem. I'm sure it's fine and we'd love to see them!

PostPosted: Sun January 18th, 2015, 18:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=79221

I forgot to say welcome to ER!

PostPosted: Sun January 18th, 2015, 18:35 GMT 

I will post both photos as soon as I figure out how to do it, so far no luck. Can anyone help me out? THANKS

PostPosted: Mon January 19th, 2015, 11:39 GMT 

Thank you all for welcoming me to "Expecting Rain."
I promised the managment of the hotel that I would not tell anyone where it is. This place is very private and, well, you know how we Bob Dylan fans are! At least some of us. This is the only information I can give: The resort is in South Florida, very South Florida.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 04:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

Not Ordinary, you are very extraordinary, so glad you have a Bob secret, the mark of a true Bob friend! :wink: :) Great Story. Welcome to ER, hope to see you at the rail! :D

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 05:02 GMT 

bobschool, Thanks for the kind words. I am still trying to figure out how to post both photos.
I didn't understand your last statement.....you hope to see me where...at the rail? Am I missing a reference to Bob Dylan that will hit me in the middle of the night?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 05:38 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Try this:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60403&hilit=post+photos

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 13:52 GMT 
Mercury Member

Hello Not Ordinary.... Just got back here and glad to see that you are getting some help with the pics.

As to the "at the rail".... it means that they hope to meet you in person, at a Dylan concert.... right up in front ... at the rail ... the rail in front of the stage...... also known as the best place to be at a Dylan concert..... :wink: Have you seen him live yet ?

Also, do you own other Dylan drawings or just the one?

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 14:35 GMT 

Thanks for explaining what the rail is.....I should have known. I live in New York City so I have seen Bob Dylan in concert several times. Most recently at the Beacon Theatre. I have also been at concerts in Binghampton, NY, Cleveland and many other cities. The show in Binghamton was after "Street Legal" (one of my favorites) was released. While performiing Bob Dylan looked like a cross between Alice Cooper and Elvis. The show was outdoors, I sat on the side of the stage so I could watch him as he waited to go on ....I have never seen anyone smoke a cigarette like he did, it was finished in one long drag. And then he flicked the butt in my direction. So like any good Bob Dylan fanatic, I grabbed it. I kept it for years in a small glass vial but I think my son ate it when he was a toddler. The butt, not the glass vial.
And actually I am not any closer to posting the photos. I didn't quite understand the instructions. I was born before 1980 so I am an idiot with things like computers.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 15:48 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ok, I admit it....when it comes to pics I am almost clueless too..... I have over 10,000 post and maybe one or two of them had pictures in them..... I am not good at it either...

Hey, raging_glory.... or BlueMidnight..... Or JP..... someone that is good at it.... sent this poor soul a PM with your e-mail address and have them send you the pics then post them......

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 19:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

I am sharing these photos for Not Ordinary......thanks for sending them to me!

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 19:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

To me, it looks like Bob would have painted this from the balcony of another room. More of the adjacent buildings are seen in his paintings.

Thanks again, Not Ordinary!

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:13 GMT 

Right next to the pool is the hotel, it only has two floors. Obviously you can't see the balcony in the photo I took, I am standing under it. Thank you very much for posting these for me. Now I am curious to see what others think. I am sure this is the place. I have several more photos that give a better perspective of the area but they wouldn't help for identification purposes.

PostPosted: Tue January 20th, 2015, 20:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Thanks! Looks like the place to me! I'm sure JP will be interested in this.

PostPosted: Wed January 21st, 2015, 07:07 GMT 
Titanium Member

let's go for a swim! :)

bravo! great minds think alike in great spots in leisure time, Not Ordinary! :D

and that cigarette story is absolulutely hilarious! great zen Bob ending even! :lol: lucky you to have seen the glory Elvis days too!

PostPosted: Thu December 10th, 2015, 22:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is awesome. Still no word on the location?

PostPosted: Fri December 11th, 2015, 19:54 GMT 

In the morning when I opened this thread to go to the beach I was in front of this thread. Something clicked in my brain...I thought "have I read this thread before, why does it look so familiar?"

PostPosted: Thu July 14th, 2016, 13:17 GMT 

good story including the ciggrette butt one.