Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue November 21st, 2017, 15:28 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 00:08 GMT 

Then I'll Lift My Arms To The Star-lit Skies And I'll Pray The Fugitive Prayer"
- A Fugitive Crosses His Tracks. Bob Dylan at the Beacon Theatre, 12/01/14.

"He is a walking contradiction, partly truth and partly fiction", sings Kris Kristofferson. The words may, according to Kris, fit many artists, among them Bob Dylan. On the one hand he is about anything else than nostalgia, he is a performing and creative artist, every night, and he does not look back. He creates more than he recreates. On the other hand he is all about nostalgia, all about a subterranean homesickness, both musically and spiritually. When he again, tonight, takes us on his guided tour of the americana music tradition paired with his own poetry, both perspectives weighs heavily, and they are both true at the same time. Dylan has himself stated that he early felt as if he was born far from home and have since tried to find his way back. He takes us with him on his journey towards home, and those who want to flee with him, can fly into the night with him as a traveling companion.

Basically the point of view is very different for those who attends his concerts. When you have gathered an audience for over fifty years it has to be. I talk with many - some come to hear "The Times They Are A-Changin'", others to hear "Like A Rolling Stone", others again to hear "Knockin¨On Heavens Door", "Hurricane", "Gotta Serve Somebody", ”Every Grain of Sand” or "Jokerman". One of the women I met were expecting strongly that Dylan would emphasize the songs from "Desire" (1976). All this is often based on the date and year they, in their lives, came across Dylan. All these had to return crestfallen home. Those who have purchased "Basement Tapes Complete" in the fall, was perhaps hoping that he swung through this during the concert. Alas. The closest is a version of "Blowing In The Wind" somewhat resembling the version he first used in the basement of the "Big Pink".

The audience who want to relive Dylan from the sixties, get only two confusing possibilities for this, a "She Belongs to Me" at cruising pace, far removed from the original on "Bringing It All Back Home" and a swinging soul version of "Blowing In the Wind ", likewise removed from the original on" Freewheelin'". Those who followed him through the seventies will nod familiar to two more songs, "Tangled Up In Blue" and "Simple Twist of Fate", but both with rewritten lyrics and totally different arrangements than the originals. For those who endured both through the eighties and nineties they´ll know one of tonight's many highlights, "Love Sick", from the classic "Time Out of Mind," one of the greatest comeback album ever, regardless of artist and genre. Then we have counted only five of tonight's nineteen songs. For audiences who have not heard his albums after the millennium, the rest will be an unknown territorium.

Beyond this we get two obscure songs that have never been to find on a regular studio album, both from soundtracks, "Things Have Changed" and "Waiting For You" (What ?? Dylan as the waltzing king?? Where did that come from?) Both songs come from the 2000s, along with "High Water" from Love And Theft, "Workingman's Blues # 2" and "Spirit On The Water" from Modern Times and "Beyond Here Lies Nothing" (What ?? Dylan as fiery latin lover with a touch of cuban pianist in white dress ???) and "Forgetful Heart" from Together Through Life.

From 2012 and Dylan´s hitherto latest album, "Tempest," he gives us another six songs, "Duquesne Whistle", "Pay In Blood", "Early Roman Kings", "Scarlet Town", "Soon After Midnight" and "Long And Wasted Years ". New songs, but soaked in tradition and brimming with both literary and musical links to a bygone era. Nostalgia? No. Nostalgia? Yes. As Dylan says in "Bye Bye And": "For me the future is already a thing of the past." He want to show us the values and joys of the past, while we look ahead in our lives.

And that last song, the obscure Sinatra cover "Stay with Me", possibly to find on Dylan's next album, probably released in 2015, presumably with a range of even more Sinatra covers. Dylan collects everything he has left in his voice in a highly sensitive version of a demanding song. Probably more than 95% of the audience had not the faintest idea of what they heard – the woman beside me was asking, on the way out: "No Sinatrasong tonight!" Nevertheless I register with satisfaction the frequent cheers roar through the theatre, not only to the already beloved riff at the start of "Tangled up In Blue " or the words" ... the answer is blowing in the wind ", but also to new and, for many, unknown songs, stanzas and phrasing. be it snarled in the partly horrifying "Pay In Blood", whispered in the tender "Forgetful Heart" or in the triumphant parading through "Long And Wasted Years".

One of the songs that the gets the most attention is the last of Dylan songs that have become a permanent part of this set. "Workingman's Blues # 2". Dylan stands at the microphone in front of the stage and attacks us with a long text on the state of land and mind, where he from the outset strikes with Marxist analysis good as any, interspersed with another touch of nostalgia:

"The buyin 'power of the proletariat's gone down
Money's gettin 'shallow and weak
The place I love best is a sweet memory
It's a new path that we trod
They say low wages are a reality
If we wanna compete abroad. "

Those who know the text from "Modern Times", wont be completely at home because of the major rewrites, new broadly painted brush strokes across the canvas has created a completely new image. There is much going on in the song, the teller think he sees his father on the street, he looks back and he looks forward, but it is not so much time left for a tired refugee & working man with just a little gleam of hope:

”I'll be back home in a month or two
When the frost is on the vine
I’m gonna punch my spear right straight through
Half-ways down his spine
Then I’ll lift my arms to the star-lit skies
And I’ll pray the fugitive prayer
I’m guessin' tomorrow the sun will rise
I hope the final end's been spared

Now the battle is over, up in the hills
And the mist is settlin' in
Look at me with all my spoils
What did I ever win?
I got a brand new suit and a brand new wife
I can live on rice and beans
Some people never work a day in their life
They don't know what work even means

Meet me at the bottom, don't lag behind
Bring me my boots and shoes
You can hang back or fight your best on the front line
Sing a little bit of these workingman's blues”

Dylan sees himself as one that just works his trade - this is what he can, standing on a stage, to disseminate his music and to glow - he has chosen to fight his best on the frontline. Ninetyone concerts this year, heading towards 3400 in total. How many more will there be, he thinks, and we the same. Nobody knows. But tonight it´s showtime again. Lucky are those who are there when it happens.

Johnny Borgan

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 05:12 GMT 

nicely done!

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 07:41 GMT 

Yes Johnny, but did he look at you and what trousers was he wearing?

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 09:09 GMT 

Answer to hungryhoss:

1) No.
2) White.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 13:26 GMT 

thank you. spot on!

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 18:01 GMT 

maryanne wrote:
Is it not "I hope the final judgement's fair?

It's definitely this. Also, "look at me with all my spoils" has typically sounded like "look at me with all my scars," with makes a little more sense. Of course, the lyrics could have changed in the past few days, haha.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 18:17 GMT 

belleseb32 wrote:
maryanne wrote:
Is it not "I hope the final judgement's fair?

It's definitely this. Also, "look at me with all my spoils" has typically sounded like "look at me with all my scars," with makes a little more sense.

No, it doesn't. The spoils of war - it's a thing.

ModBob likes his plundering, in more senses than one.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 20:09 GMT 

yawn. boring. a deeply shallow review.

these reviews noting that only a couple of songs from the 60's are being played - have become a cliche already. noting that people expect hurricane or 'desire' tracks - they too are a cliche by now. And Twist Of Fate and Tangled re-arranged….really?

"Things have Changed," is far from obscure….

Talking of how dylan "works at a trade" is to paraphrase something he has said many times in the last 10-15 years.

The review in this thread easily could have been put together by cutting and pasting what has been written by others over the last 18 months. Including the mistakes.

There is a far more interesting review/observation(s) from Ann Margaret-Daniel on today's front page of ER.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 21:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

oldfan wrote:
yawn. boring. a deeply shallow review.

these reviews noting that only a couple of songs from the 60's are being played - have become a cliche already. noting that people expect hurricane or 'desire' tracks - they too are a cliche by now. And Twist Of Fate and Tangled re-arranged….really?

"Things have Changed," is far from obscure….

Talking of how dylan "works at a trade" is to paraphrase something he has said many times in the last 10-15 years.

The review in this thread easily could have been put together by cutting and pasting what has been written by others over the last 18 months. Including the mistakes.

There is a far more interesting review/observation(s) from Ann Margaret-Daniel on today's front page of ER.

Lousy contribution.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 21:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

It sure is. That was a nice review, and if it doesn't change our perception of Bob Dylan in any meaningful way...well, very little written in 2014 does. Four nights sold out so they added a fifth...I saw a Monday night show in Chicago (the 3rd there) and the joint was filled to the rafters with people who were by and large thrilled with what they saw. That Dylan should have such a commercially and artistically successful tour while largely ignoring the material he built his reputation on is worthy of comment, as is the generally very high quality of the singing and the band's playing. I was worried I'd be a bit bored when I saw this tour, having heard boots of essentially the same show for over a year now but I was mesmerized from start to finish, and as I said most of the people around me were as well. It reminded me a bit of things from the Don't Look back era about people sitting still and listening to poetry set to an acoustic guitar. Dylan's capacity to draw people in has remained remarkably undiminished. The contrast with his last visit to town, playing bored versions of done-to-death songs, was striking. The show also reminded me of something Paul Williams wrote about the difference between Dylan onstage creating a legend as opposed to trying to live up to one. It really was a remarkable run for an artist of any age, and any Dylan fans within range who missed it did themselves a real disservice.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 04:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
It really was a remarkable run for an artist of any age, and any Dylan fans within range who missed it did themselves a real disservice.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 18:12 GMT 

http://nodepression.com/live-review/bro ... -york-2014

i thought dylan was spectacular….

the review that started this thread - not so. the review above - from ann-margaret daniel…original and different and articulate and on the money

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 21:05 GMT 

Dear oldfan!

Sorry to have disturbed you. I realize that it maybe was a bad idea to translate my piece, written, and published, not for the congregation, but for a broader audience, with more of an outside perspective than ours, considering the many "fans" (in their own words) that don´t own all his albums, who don´t know bootlegs or Bootleg Series, and maybe just own a few studio albums from the time they used to buy records, and who has never, or just a few times or a long time ago, have seen him live. Yes - they exist! For those, I think, songs that´s never been released on a studio album, can be mentioned as "obscure", even if they, of course, are not obscure for us. And I think that´s really interesting, because Dylan mentions that he mostly plays for the people who just attends one show, and that he still don´t invite them to a trip of nostalgia, certainly not when it comes to the song choices. That´s, in my opinion, great. He challenges them, and want to give them something new. But then again, there´s different kinds of nostalgia.

What´s more is, I think you did miss the obvious point that this wasn´t actually a review of the show. I´ve already reviewed more than twenty of the shows from last october until today, from an insider´s point of view, with focus on the performance and the songs - this was just something else. Sorry that I didn´t get that through to you. For me, this tour has really been one of the greatest I´ve seen the latest thirty years.

Of course, nothing of this proves that my writing is any good. You are right from your side.

Sincerely,
Johnny

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 01:00 GMT 

You are right that the AnneMargaret McDaniel review is wonderful. But so is the one above from Johnny Borgan. All of the insights and impressions, along with the Great photos and videos, help give the feeling of, kind of, getting to be there- which must generate enthusiasm (and buying mood excitement :?: ) for millions of people!

So nice of everyone who took the effort to let some of it be seen. :)

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 01:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, and thanks to everyone that takes a moment to describe their feelings observations and recollections.
Much appreciated!

PostPosted: Mon December 8th, 2014, 03:02 GMT 

This tour showed a man that has not only been through the ages, but survived the focus on his every move, every word, and every rumour. He has had to spend his life surrounding himself with people that not only understand the need for his privacy, but live by it...and they do out of complete understanding and respect for him. I see a man that has lived his whole life looking at life and people living on the other side of the tinted windows, the hotel window glass. Its sad. When i see him look at me from the stage he lifts me up, and i live in that moment. When i know its time for the tour to begin again, i check the pages daily.. and pray i can get to as many as possible. Me and everyone else that loves him.
We spend thousands of dollars a year to travel to see as many shows as we can..we take on border police, lineups, ticket vendors, hotel rooms, gas and living expenses, plane fares.. we all want to be in that sweet spot for the shows we can see..at whatever the cost. We are those that love him and we are everywhere. I personally love to see the happy faces and the joy of seeing those i have met at shows from the past years..and the list grows. I love to be at an event and feel that excitement waiting for Stu's Noodle to begin...as the magic will come soon after. We all do.
I have seen a lot of bob stages, if that is what they are to be called. I saw him with tom petty, tracy chapman, and was unable to attend the santana show in vancouver and ate those tickets. Ive seen him in black leather and heard a few changes of voice. Ive bought albums as they came out since blonde on blonde.. and had a 2 day party at my house for Live Aid just to see him perform. (by then i was nearly dead with exhaustion). Im sure we all have been there, and then some. There are a lot of pretty heavy duty bob admirers here. I appreciate reading all your insights and am grateful i stumbled upon this site.
This last show was a show.. i said this and saw it later on a review. Someone in a paper wrote that it is a show..and yes..it truly was. I hadnt seen that stage of his career before..this was something new. I always go to a show and not really know what to expect..but this last time i knew what it was going to be, and had to hear it for myself. The opening 3 nites in seattle i heard them, and while every night the list remained the same, the focus changed on one song to another, depending on the crowd perhaps. The third night was the hardest for me. I had a family of young parents behind me with small children that blessfully fell asleep halfway through the show. I had a man nearly hit me for standing during the first song, which we all did the first two nights.. honestly people, get up and DANCE if you can!
I saw a bob that i hadnt seen before.. and while i still love the man to my very death, i will pray that he can change this idea of a setlist that never changes from night to night. His band are the most adept artists i have ever had the pleasure to see..(and meet for some) and variety is the spice of life. I loved the performances of this tour, but i have seen them now. I hope i dont see the same one again. I crave something more from a man with over 600 songs in his catalogue.
Love you guys n gals. JP, you are so sweet.. i had my badges on myself and my mom this last tour. It was fun and i got to see Shooting_star again...among others. Love to you all that i havent met yet, i hope we do eventually. Have a merry season as it comes upon us..and stay warm. QOL

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2014, 02:23 GMT 

Excellent review, Johnny! Not sure how someone expects the fact that only two songs from the 1960's are played not be mentioned.

PostPosted: Tue December 9th, 2014, 03:03 GMT 
Mercury Member

Well i found the whole thing jolly interesting. i only wish i could have gone to a show.