Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 07:29 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 01:10 GMT 

I don't think it's even possible for anyone to upstage him. Well maybe if a really good-looking woman shimmied across the stage in a tight dress. But if she stayed up there just shimmying, people would only watch her for about 5 seconds, and then go back to Bob-watching, to see what he thought about it.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 01:13 GMT 

Belle Laugh wrote:
I don't think it's even possible for anyone to upstage him. Well maybe if a really good-looking woman shimmied across the stage in a tight dress. But if she stayed up there just shimmying, people would only watch her for about 5 seconds, and then go back to Bob-watching, to see what he thought about it.

Lol!! So true!! Remember Soy Bomb??

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 01:30 GMT 

only from videos, and the show went on- :)

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 04:13 GMT 
Titanium Member

Silly Nelly wrote:
Not sure if you're joking or I'm missing something chrome horse. That clip doesn't seem that way to me at all. Sounds more like the drummer and the rest of the band are upping the tempo at 1.07 ready perhaps for the first verse, but Bob signals with his hand that he wants to tease the harmonica solo out a little more and keep the vibe mellow. The whole band immediately check the pace and volume. If Bob's ego were really so fragile as to be worried about being upstaged, why bring people like Tom Petty on board at all?

Yep, all he's doing is to signal the band to dial it back down a notch while he finishes blowing his thingy-dingy.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 09:57 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Larry probably was sick of being second fiddle. Duke Robillard, I'm sure, was fired for upstaging Bob. When I saw him in Lowell, Mass., a couple of years ago, Duke played a superb acoustic lead solo in the middle of "Tangled Up in Blue". The crowd went wild. I'm sure Bob said to himself after the applause "that's it pal - you're out of here! Nobody upstages me!" Sure enough. he was soon off the tour. If you want a very visual display of this, go to this link, Bob and Petty doin "Knockin on H. Door". Bob starts with a harmonica solo, and at 1:11, someone behinds him starts getting tricky with the lead guitar, and Bob drops his right hand off the harmonica and waves behind him to tell the guy to back off. DO NOT UPSTAGE THE KING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPg2M1UYgU

Wow, thanks for that link! I see it is a film, what is the name of it? I'd like to have that.

As for the rest, I see an inspired Dylan signaling to the band to hold it for a moment, because he feels an inspiration. I think the problem between Robillard and Dylan really was that Dylan is creating life on stage, using the band "in relation to him" as an extended organ. That is the way he works. And Robillard seems to be the more controlled person who is not used to be in the total present, zooming in on somebodys whim at all times. The real problem probably was the well documented rudeness and arrogance Dylan can apply to people when he get's irritated. Clash of personalities and expectations. Obviously Dylan has no proplems touring with the likes of Petty. the Greatfull Death and Santana. He's played with people who play better and sung with people who actually have a good voice - but they don't have that je ne sais quoi!

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 12:27 GMT 

' using the band "in relation to him" as an extended organ.'

I hope they're paid well then. :shock:

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 14:05 GMT 

Larry was best when he was on guitar full time. I know there's a certain charm in seeing him play a bunch of different instruments throughout a show and doing so was probably more interesting for Larry, but...

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 23:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Mutabor wrote:
Dylan really was that Dylan is creating life on stage, using the band "in relation to him" as an extended organ. That is the way he works. And Robillard seems to be the more controlled person who is not used to be in the total present, zooming in on somebodys whim at all times.

Dylan is doing what any bandleader does. At least he doesn't impose monetary fines on his players for (whatever) infraction. Then again, maybe that'd be better than being fired.

PostPosted: Fri December 5th, 2014, 23:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Sluggy wrote:

Cheers, SLuggy

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 00:54 GMT 

Ain't Talkin' wrote:
Mutabor wrote:
Dylan really was that Dylan is creating life on stage, using the band "in relation to him" as an extended organ. That is the way he works. And Robillard seems to be the more controlled person who is not used to be in the total present, zooming in on somebodys whim at all times.

Dylan is doing what any bandleader does. At least he doesn't impose monetary fines on his players for (whatever) infraction. Then again, maybe that'd be better than being fired.

Do some bandleaders do that? Forgive my ignorance either way for having to ask this. lol

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 01:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

DylanEgo wrote:

Do some bandleaders do that? Forgive my ignorance either way for having to ask this. lol

James Brown was well known for that. (I think) Ray Charles did, too, and some others who's names escape me, now. Old school showbiz.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 02:02 GMT 

chrome horse wrote:
Larry probably was sick of being second fiddle. Duke Robillard, I'm sure, was fired for upstaging Bob. When I saw him in Lowell, Mass., a couple of years ago, Duke played a superb acoustic lead solo in the middle of "Tangled Up in Blue". The crowd went wild. I'm sure Bob said to himself after the applause "that's it pal - you're out of here! Nobody upstages me!" Sure enough. he was soon off the tour. If you want a very visual display of this, go to this link, Bob and Petty doin "Knockin on H. Door". Bob starts with a harmonica solo, and at 1:11, someone behinds him starts getting tricky with the lead guitar, and Bob drops his right hand off the harmonica and waves behind him to tell the guy to back off. DO NOT UPSTAGE THE KING!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jPg2M1UYgU

robillard fired for upstaging dylan? lololololol.

sometimes it is amusing reading on what people speculate….where/how do people come up with this stuff?

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 02:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

For the Bruce Springsteen Tribute - (Musicares Honoree of the Year) on PBS, Larry Campbell played his Stray while backing Sting on Lonesome Day. He was his typical character... nonchalantly doing his job but doing it darn well!

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 04:14 GMT 

Untrodden Path wrote:
For the Bruce Springsteen Tribute - (Musicares Honoree of the Year) on PBS, Larry Campbell played his Stray while backing Sting on Lonesome Day. He was his typical character... nonchalantly doing his job but doing it darn well!

I SAW LARRY ON THE BRUCE TRIBUTE TOO! LOL! I WAS TELLING MY WIFE ABOUT THIS THREAD. :)

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 04:37 GMT 

Is there any video from when Duke "upstaged" Bob?

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 05:49 GMT 

Hungryhoss wrote:
It must be hard for them to stay awake on stage these days.

Most impressive isn't it? I mean, I love listening to the gigs, but it's pretty sedate stuff, and the lights are about as alerting as a candle at a hundred yards.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 06:29 GMT 
Titanium Member

davidotas wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:
It must be hard for them to stay awake on stage these days.

Most impressive isn't it? I mean, I love listening to the gigs, but it's pretty sedate stuff, and the lights are about as alerting as a candle at a hundred yards.

Well, show up and alert Zimmy to your presence and it'll be like 1869 again.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 09:25 GMT 

XZYOE wrote:
Is there any video from when Duke "upstaged" Bob?

There is on youtube, and right now I'm a-lookin' for it.

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 09:40 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Sluggy wrote:

Cheers, SLuggy

:lol:

Well you laughing folks first write hundreds of posts in german or turkish and then we see who's
better in languages and who ends up writing funny stuff every now and then... 8)

("in relation to him" refers to the letter of Suze that is on here somewhere, where she wrote that he begins to love her only in relation to him. What I'm saying is that he sees the band as an extention of himself that serves to create the life Dylan happening every night on stage.)

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 10:00 GMT 

Relax, it's nuthin! It's just somethin I learned over in England! :D

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 10:14 GMT 

And here's the video of the Bob and Duke falling out, live on stage in Atlanta! The wheels fall off around the 12 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... t=725&hd=1

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 11:37 GMT 

oldfan wrote:

robillard fired for upstaging dylan? lololololol.

sometimes it is amusing reading on what people speculate….where/how do people come up with this stuff?
[/quote]

Real joke is it? Bad news mon amis - the joke is on you -

"This leg of Bob Dylan's never ending tour has already seen the abrupt replacement, or more likely, the abrupt firing of lead guitarist Duke Robillard. After a show in which Bob was seen to be visibly steamed about Duke musically stepping all over him, Robillard tweeted that all of his Dylan albums were for sale, and Charlie Sexton was back playing lead guitar the next night."

http://exclaim.ca/Reviews/Concerts/bob_dylan_wilco_my_morning_jacket-molson_amphitheatre_toronto_on_july_15

Last edited by chrome horse on Sat December 6th, 2014, 11:51 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 11:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I think we're straying too far from the topic here. Please read the thread title.

As a polite reminder to everyone, I ask them to please bear in mind the Forum Terms of Use when posting.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 11:51 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
I think we're straying too far from the topic here. Please read the thread title.

As a polite reminder to everyone, I ask them to please bear in mind the Forum Terms of Use when posting.

Good point - coffee was a little strong this morning!

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 13:29 GMT 

Just one thing about Duke. From what I saw on the video, his playing did not blend into Bob's performance as well as Charlies playing did. Duke's playing seemed to prominent and distracting.

When did Larry Campbell start playing with Bob Dylan?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next