Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 10:08 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 13:31 GMT 

Sorry, I forgot this website was the epitome of sophisticated humour (or humor, as Americans hilariously continue to misspell it) and even had a section where new members are taught how to enjoy the virtues of a deliciously ripe pun, as demonstrated by the Bob that isn't Hope.

http://www.expectingrain.com/jokes.html

I wonder if any of these are included in the new Lyrics book? What a missed opportunity - each page could have had one of these zingers at the top

Sample rib-ticklers:

"When I first met Bucky, he didn't have a penny to his name. I told him to
get another name."

After playing "Lay Lady Lay," Bob said, "I don't have that brass bed
anymore....I never did have one."

"We were all woken up very early this morning here at the hotel. They
had a robbery there - yeah - we were woken up by the burglar alarm."

Introducing the drummer at Del Mar, Bob said,
"We went out for some seafood, and he asked them 'Do you serve crabs?'
'Sure do, sit right down,' they told him."

F*cking stop it Bob, you're killing me.

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 18:15 GMT 

I just stumbled upon the alternate lyrics for Caribbean Wind on page 640 (with the first verse ending: ...by a man who danced on the roof of the embassy).

Does someone know if a circulating version of this take or version exists?

Thanks for any help or hint

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 03:36 GMT 

The Lyrics: Since 1962- Hello, my copy has some small ink marks on some pages, not many but some. Of course this doesn't distract from the glorious lyrics, but I just wondered if anybody else has the same? Thanks, Drew

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 11:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

drew71 wrote:
The Lyrics: Since 1962- Hello, my copy has some small ink marks on some pages, not many but some. Of course this doesn't distract from the glorious lyrics, but I just wondered if anybody else has the same? Thanks, Drew

I noticed that on at least one page... in addition to the upside down pages. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 12:05 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
drew71 wrote:

I noticed that on at least one page... in addition to the upside down pages. :lol:

For once, I am the lucky one. I share that not to brag but to let you know that clean copies exist.

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 12:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

amazon.de delivered... yay.

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 13:10 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Good for you!
So does that mean you now have a replacement copy? an extra copy?

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 13:25 GMT 
Promethium Member

summerteeth wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Good for you!
So does that mean you now have a replacement copy? an extra copy?

An extra, since I didn't cancel my amazon order. I didn't really expect it to be fulfilled.

As for Simon & Schuster, they never even replied to me about replacing the faulty copy...

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 13:43 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

seems like amazon.uk will deliver, too. At least the order status is: dispatching now. Don't know at the moment if my closer circle will receive their ordered items, too. If so, I really would have a 2nd book, but I cannot say if I should use it for my own annotations. But looking around in my flat I don't find much space left for it.

btw: in my copy are two pages wrongly cut in the upper corner. Maybe someone should start a thread: the lyrics since 1962 - the production faults

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 15:05 GMT 

From the amazon.de website (bold passages from h.egbert).

Produktinformation

Gebundene Ausgabe: 768 Seiten
Verlag: Simon & Schuster; Auflage: Annotated (1. Oktober 2015)
Sprache: Englisch
ISBN-10: 1451648766
ISBN-13: 978-1451648768
Größe und/oder Gewicht: 2,8 x 2,8 cm

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 15:13 GMT 
Promethium Member

Try this:

The Lyrics: Since 1962 (Englisch) Gebundene Ausgabe – 28. Oktober 2014
Gebundene Ausgabe: 960 Seiten
Verlag: Simon & Schuster; Auflage: Revised. (28. Oktober 2014)
Sprache: Englisch
ISBN-10: 1476797706
ISBN-13: 978-1476797700

currently unavailable though - it's from the listing I ordered.

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 18:54 GMT 

Anyone care to speculate on price copies will hit on eBay over the next month before Xmas? One just sold @ $399. I'm better $750-$1000.

PostPosted: Thu November 20th, 2014, 22:55 GMT 

Got this mail today:

Quote:
We thought you'd like to know that we've dispatched your item(s). Your order is on the way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.co.uk.

The Complete Annotated Lyrics
Sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L. £24.79

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2014, 14:21 GMT 

The Lyrics have landed !!!

At least they have here in Hertfordshire, cannot wait to dive in :)

PostPosted: Fri November 21st, 2014, 17:49 GMT 

Mine's landed too...with a bloody great thud! It's friggin' enormous!! A real beauty of a book too.

Thanks must go out to paddyproust who, on pg.2 of this thread, first pointed me to the fantastic bargain to be had for pre-orders on Amazon UK. £24.79!!!! Surely must have been a mistake by Amazon but they've honoured it. It's currently on the marketplace for between £210 and £350. Cheers paddyproust!

PostPosted: Sun November 23rd, 2014, 02:33 GMT 

Silly Nelly wrote:
Mine's landed too...with a bloody great thud! It's friggin' enormous!! A real beauty of a book too.

Thanks must go out to paddyproust who, on pg.2 of this thread, first pointed me to the fantastic bargain to be had for pre-orders on Amazon UK. £24.79!!!! Surely must have been a mistake by Amazon but they've honoured it. It's currently on the marketplace for between £210 and £350. Cheers paddyproust!

Yes, big thanks to paddyproust for the tip off re the pre-order offer. I was also lucky enough to get it for £24.79, and couldn't quite believe it when it actually arrived yesterday:)

PostPosted: Sun November 23rd, 2014, 12:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

I regard it as simply one of the biggest things to happen since I became a Dylan fan.

PostPosted: Sun November 30th, 2014, 00:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Since I won't be opening my Lyrics Bible until Christmas, can someone tell me if these two songs are included in the book? Thanks!

From today's front page:
Two Dylan Songs You Probably Never Heard Of,
but You Can Buy Them

By ALLAN KOZINN NOVEMBER 28, 2014

The manuscripts of two early and virtually unknown songs by Bob Dylan –
Talking Folklore Center” and “Go Away You Bomb
– will be auctioned by Christie’s on Dec. 4 in New York, and in some ways the manuscripts’ provenance is as interesting as the pieces themselves. (Mr. Dylan may be in town to bid on them himself if he wants; the sale takes place the day after he finishes a five-concert run at the Beacon Theater that starts Friday night.)

Both are being sold by Izzy Young, whose Folklore Center, on MacDougal Street, was an important resource and meeting point for young folksingers, including Mr. Dylan, who were making their names in the Greenwich Village folk club scene in the early 1960s. Mr. Dylan, in his autobiography, “Chronicles,” wrote about spending hours at the Folklore Center, reading books and listening to recordings, and Mr. Young not only introduced him to influential folk singers (Dave Van Ronk, for one) but also arranged for Mr. Dylan’s first important concert uptown, at Carnegie Chapter Hall (a small room above what is now Weill Recital Hall) on Nov. 4, 1961.

Mr. Young, now 86, moved to Sweden in 1972. John Schulman, a friend of Mr. Young in Pittsburgh, said the proceeds from the sale of the manuscripts would support Mr. Young’s current business, the Folklore Centrum, in Stockholm. Mr. Young said in an email that he was also considering recording the songs himself, soon after Christmas.

The earlier of the two songs, originally called “Talking Blues,” was written in 1962 after Mr. Young asked the singer to write a song about the Folklore Center. Mr. Dylan complied with a 43-line handwritten manuscript, which he annotated, “Bob Dylan ’62 of Gallup, Phillipsburg, Navasota Springs, Sioux Falls and Duluth.” Mr. Young published the song as “Talking Folklore Center,” as the first in a projected series of broadsides to be sold at the center. As it turned out, it was the only song in the series.

Mr. Dylan did not perform it as such, but incorporated lines from it in early live performances of “Talkin’ New York.” Mr. Young is selling the manuscript along with a typed version, dated March 19, 1962, with annotations by Mr. Dylan. Christie’s expects it to sell for $40,000-$60,000.

“Go Away You Bomb” was also written in response to a request by Mr. Young, this time for a contribution to an antinuclear bomb songbook. Mr. Dylan gave Mr. Young the typed lyrics – 39 lines, with annotations by Mr. Dylan – in 1963. Mr. Young never published his songbook, and “Go Away You Bomb” slipped through the cracks. Mr. Dylan never published it himself, and is not known to have performed it. Christie’s expects the song to sell for $30,000-$50,000, but when Christie’s offered it at a London rock memorabilia auction in 2013, it did not meet its reserve price.

“Sometimes that happens,” said Tom Lecky, director of the books and manuscripts department at Christie’s, New York. “That was a rock auction, this is a manuscript auction. And London is not necessarily the right market for Bob Dylan manuscripts.” He said “Talking Folklore Center” had never been offered for sale before.

Correction: November 28, 2014
An earlier version of this post misidentified the city where John Schulman, a friend of Izzy Young, lives. It is Pittsburgh, not New York.

PostPosted: Thu December 4th, 2014, 18:43 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Now that is strange, you seem to have the upside down 'Love Minus Zero' page next to the rear sleeve of 'Bringing It All Back Home' I have the album index page there & 'Zero' is on page 170 (the correct way up I should add) Do you then have an extra upside down page between the album cover & the album index?

PostPosted: Sun December 28th, 2014, 13:14 GMT 
Promethium Member

A lotta blank page deadweight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13