Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sun October 22nd, 2017, 00:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 01:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Am I dumb for not knowing who Joshua Bell is, Lily?
Does he play with Duke?

PostPosted: Mon September 29th, 2014, 02:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

Doesn't Duke just wish :P

He is one of the best violinist on the planet at the moment.

Look him up. Plays with lots of different people. Can do classical but so much more.

He is in the upper level of world class musicians.

PostPosted: Tue September 30th, 2014, 20:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Doesn't Duke just wish :P

He is one of the best violinist on the planet at the moment.

Look him up. Plays with lots of different people. Can do classical but so much more.

He is in the upper level of world class musicians.

Funny, and there he is in the news right now!

Famed violinist plays do-over at DC train station
By BRETT ZONGKER
6 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Acclaimed violinist Joshua Bell brought Bach to a train station Tuesday, as he did in 2007, but this time Washington noticed.

Hundreds of music fans packed the main hall at Union Station near the Capitol shoulder to shoulder to hear the 46-year-old Bell perform works by Bach and Mendelssohn for the lunch hour crowd, along with nine young musicians he has mentored.

Seven years ago, Bell famously performed incognito for tips in a Washington subway station, but almost no one stopped to listen. The subway performance was an experiment with The Washington Post to see if anyone would notice some of the world's great music during their rush to work. It made for a good story that eventually won the Pulitzer Prize and inspired a children's book and even messages in church sermons.

This time Bell's fans had some advance notice, and it made all the difference. Music is a two-way exchange and needs an audience, Bell said after his performance drew big cheers, whistles and shouts of "bravo" from a crowd of people both young and old.

Nearly every day for the past seven years, someone has reminded Bell of his subway performance, he said.

"I wouldn't want to be defined by just that experience," Bell told The Associated Press. "Hopefully the rest of my body of work will carry more weight than that."

The Grammy-winning violinist now wants to call attention to the need for music education in every school. He was lucky, he said, to have parents who encouraged him to play music from an early age. Now students make it through school without any music or art education. Bell will perform with young musicians he has mentored for an upcoming HBO special "Joshua Bell: A YoungArts MasterClass," which debuts Oct. 14.

"Music is something that should be a part of everyone's life," he said.

Also on Tuesday, Bell is releasing his first album of Bach violin concertos and arrangements for violin and orchestra. He began his career playing Bach's music, but he has resisted recording it until now.

"Bach is in some ways the holy grail in classical music," Bell said. "It's so important to me but important that I get it right. ... I kind of finally felt ready."

In the train station, Bell and his protégés played some pieces from the new Bach album. They weren't able to play for tips this time. Union Station doesn't allow it. But Bell said he does look at street musicians differently now.

"It's not really fun to be playing for people walking by," said Bell, who lives in New York City. "When I walk by I always give something now because after my experience, I don't want to be the one who walks by and doesn't pay attention. I'm sometimes occasionally recognized by the street performers' and they say 'hey, thanks for that experiment because after that people are a little bit more aware of what we're doing here.'"

No mention of Duke though...

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 17:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

is Bell already finished in Bobs band?

PostPosted: Tue October 14th, 2014, 22:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

A Merry Llama wrote:

At first I was going to say that there are somethings even the big 'D' can't pull off... But actually Joshua Bell has done some surprising things along the way. He did a cool album called something like 'Goin' down south' ( that's close but not quite right). And I think he was the musician behind the music in 'the Red Violin'. An excellent movie. And of course he gave that train station thing a try. So who knows. Both Bob and JB have been known to do some surprising things.

The only thing to expect out of Dylan is the unexpected :wink:

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2014, 02:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

His Bell still rings...

PostPosted: Wed October 15th, 2014, 16:33 GMT 
Mercury Member

Lily Rose wrote:
A Merry Llama wrote:

At first I was going to say that there are somethings even the big 'D' can't pull off... But actually Joshua Bell has done some surprising things along the way. He did a cool album called something like 'Goin' down south' ( that's close but not quite right). And I think he was the musician behind the music in 'the Red Violin'. An excellent movie. And of course he gave that train station thing a try. So who knows. Both Bob and JB have been known to do some surprising things.

The only thing to expect out of Dylan is the unexpected :wink:

Just want to fix something that I missed by a mile.... the name of the album that I was thinking about is "Short Trip Home".....

http://www.amazon.com/Short-Trip-Home-J ... oshua+bell

Joshua Bell, Edgar Meyer, Sam Bush, Mike Marshall

Good stuff!!!

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2014, 03:51 GMT 
Titanium Member

i could see how you could cross Goin down south, with short trip hope Lily!
specially if you drive massachusetts speed.

both Bell and Bob can be directed towards D.C., so who knows this tour :D

PostPosted: Thu October 16th, 2014, 11:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:

Good stuff!!!

He's in good company!

PostPosted: Wed November 12th, 2014, 20:20 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bob'll be playin' in Duke territory soon. Look for Mr. Robillard at PPAC.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 14:10 GMT 

NBo Duke in Rhode Island :cry:

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 14:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

If he was there he was keepin' a low profile.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 16:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

Good stuff!!!

I love that album. I went and saw Joshua Bell, a few years back,
but it was in a classical setting. He was a joy to hear in person.
Would love to see him with Sam Bush, Edger Meyer, Mike Marshall,
let's throw in Bela Fleck & Chris Thile, just for fun.

PostPosted: Mon November 17th, 2014, 18:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

^^^

Yeah, he was doing classical when we saw him too..... but it was just so very special.... he is one of those musicians that just light it up..... I would like to think that I would have been one of the people who stopped to listen in the train station.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 03:15 GMT 

There were a couple Dylan posts on Duke's facebook page today

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 06:03 GMT 

Ironically, according to his homepage, Duke's next live performance will be in Beacon, NY, at some place called the Town Crier Cafe...

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 16:36 GMT 

I almost posted yesterday about the Duke Dylan posts on FB.

Duke is one jealous pig. Ironic that the tour ends, getting rave reviews and Duke is posting "Visions Of Johanna" and that garbage interview with that bitch Joni.

Her comments are off base and come off as looney. Oddly, Duke took down the Akron link he had up from his short stint in the group. He's no professional.

PostPosted: Sat December 6th, 2014, 20:29 GMT 

Been reading for a while, but rarely post.

I have to say I'm surprised how much love Duke's playing is getting. I'm sure he's a fine guy (I mean, I guess) and technically speaking he is very good. However, I really just found his playing in Bob's band to be dull. A good example is the "Thunder On The Mountain" solo people have referenced. I wish I had the video handy, but we all know what I'm referencing. His quieter, smoother sound really didn't jive well with a song that, in my opinion, really needs more thrust.

Couldn't be happier Charlie's been back. His recent solos on "Love Sick" were utterly smokin'.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 00:40 GMT 
Promethium Member

Yes, that 5 or 10-second Love Sick solo might've been the peak of each performance.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 05:49 GMT 

I saw four shows from the spring tour with Duke and they were astounding.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 05:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

lovethatcountrypie wrote:
I saw four shows from the spring tour with Duke and they were astounding.

I only saw one and, yes, I agree.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 16:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Duke provided oxygen when we needed a breath of fresh air. Colin did too.

A little change once in a while ain't bad.

Ready for more.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 17:49 GMT 

Bobby_D wrote:

Duke is one jealous pig. Ironic that the tour ends, getting rave reviews and Duke is posting "Visions Of Johanna" and that garbage interview with that bitch Joni.

Her comments are off base and come off as looney. Oddly, Duke took down the Akron link he had up from his short stint in the group. He's no professional.

I don't belong to FB & can't see the posts in question, so obviously you must be referring to posts that he somehow set to be viewed in private. Duke can post whatever he wants to his FB. And he can remove anything he's posted whenever he wants. Jealous pig? Bitch? Unprofessional? Get off your high horse. I don't get why people who obviously don't like the guy would put so much effort into scouring his FB page for heresy.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 18:24 GMT 

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
Bobby_D wrote:

I don't belong to FB & can't see the posts in question, so obviously you must be referring to posts that he somehow set to be viewed in private. Duke can post whatever he wants to his FB. And he can remove anything he's posted whenever he wants. Jealous pig? Bitch? Unprofessional? Get off your high horse. I don't get why people who obviously don't like the guy would put so much effort into scouring his FB page for heresy.

The guy asked for my friendship on FB. I don't have to look for this garbage when it's right in front of me. I don't dislike the guy, just seems odd he's so passive aggressive with this situation. It's obvious he's got issues with the whole deal.

Go Steelers.

PostPosted: Sun December 7th, 2014, 18:28 GMT 

I was under the impression the Duke shows were good at the time. But, having revisited this period after many listens, his soloing on "Pay In Blood" and his work on "Thunder On the Mountain" are very laughable. It's extremely robotic and lacks fluidity.

He's a talent, no question about it. But, Dylan and Duke aren't a good fit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next