Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon November 20th, 2017, 02:23 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 23:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 23:06 GMT 

That is crazy!

I'm so sorry -- those pages for me are perfect.
But now I'm going to check the rest of the book.

I'll report back later.

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 23:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

They gave me the rare one. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 23:30 GMT 

Well, I don't know about "rare" -- my guess is that that kind of mistake is not worth much, but who knows?

Anyway, I have been through every page, and it all looks great
EXCEPT...

WHY OH WHY
is Another Self Portrait the last entry?

The rest of the Bootleg Series songs have been inserted where they go: as outtakes from the sessions that produced the albums.

PostPosted: Thu November 13th, 2014, 23:36 GMT 
Promethium Member

Nice they filled a complete page with All The Tired Horses, too. 8)

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 02:16 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Mr. Henry wrote:
I had also expected the annotations to be more complete.

You mean for recent years?

I mean I expected there to be dozens of footnotes exploring different aspects of each lyric. It was probably an unreasonable expectation to have, I just expected more from an academic. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have several annotated books of literary works and lyrics that have tons of interesting info. And Zimmy deserves the same. For example, in the Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics, there are two columns per page. The left hand column is the lyrics with various lines, phrases, and/or subjects marked with subscript numerals that match annotations in the right hand column. Take for example the song "Friend Of The Devil. There are seven notes for this song. Some discuss geographical references. Each place name in the song has a paragraph long note discussing where the place is, possible similarly named places that the lyricist might have intended, facts about that place that might have consciously or not prompted the writer to use that town, etc. The phrase "trailed by twenty hounds" gets a note that says: "Compare Robert Johnson's "Hellhound On My Trial": And the days keep worryin' me/there's a hellhound on my trail." The line "got a wife in Chino, babe, and one in Cherokee" has a note suggesting "This being set in Utah, perhaps the character is a Mormon practicing polygamy." Each song also has annotations that describe where and when the first studio recording is found, the when and where of the first live performances, and often a brief discussion of a song's history in live performance, such as (referencing "Easy Wind"): "First known performance: September 1, 1969, at the Baton Rouge International Speedway in Prairiesville, Louisiana. It was played steadily through April 1971". I think Dylan's works deserve in depth analysis and that's what I had hope for and didn't get. Once again, my bad, not Ricks'. It's not a horrible book by any means. I'll probably buy a copy of a smaller sized edition when one is published if only to have the more recent lyrics in an easier to handle package.

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 03:48 GMT 

Mr. Henry wrote:
I mean I expected there to be dozens of footnotes exploring different aspects of each lyric. It was probably an unreasonable expectation to have, I just expected more from an academic. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have several annotated books of literary works and lyrics that have tons of interesting info. And Zimmy deserves the same. For example, in the Complete Annotated Grateful Dead Lyrics, there are two columns per page. The left hand column is the lyrics with various lines, phrases, and/or subjects marked with subscript numerals that match annotations in the right hand column. Take for example the song "Friend Of The Devil. There are seven notes for this song. Some discuss geographical references. Each place name in the song has a paragraph long note discussing where the place is, possible similarly named places that the lyricist might have intended, facts about that place that might have consciously or not prompted the writer to use that town, etc. The phrase "trailed by twenty hounds" gets a note that says: "Compare Robert Johnson's "Hellhound On My Trial": And the days keep worryin' me/there's a hellhound on my trail." The line "got a wife in Chino, babe, and one in Cherokee" has a note suggesting "This being set in Utah, perhaps the character is a Mormon practicing polygamy." Each song also has annotations that describe where and when the first studio recording is found, the when and where of the first live performances, and often a brief discussion of a song's history in live performance, such as (referencing "Easy Wind"): "First known performance: September 1, 1969, at the Baton Rouge International Speedway in Prairiesville, Louisiana. It was played steadily through April 1971". I think Dylan's works deserve in depth analysis and that's what I had hope for and didn't get. Once again, my bad, not Ricks'. It's not a horrible book by any means. I'll probably buy a copy of a smaller sized edition when one is published if only to have the more recent lyrics in an easier to handle package.

Thanks for that, Mr. Henry. I have never seen this on the Dead and will definitely check it out.

I agree, THAT truly is what Dylan deserves. My guess that something similar could have been produced in three or four more practically-sized, 500-page volumes that made much better use of so much blank space.

For instance, let's just say that each song merits an average of 3 pages (obviously something like Desolation Row would be longer and Wiggle Wiggle would take up almost nothing).

But the more I peruse this book, the more I consider it to be just another artistic piece of the Dylan canon. It was never meant to be what we thought or hoped it would be. It's just a piece of art, showcasing Dylan's lyrics in the most visually appealing way.

My guess is that the scholarly books such as you mention are being written as we speak. In fact, I would be surprised if there weren't at least 3 or 4 writers researching and compiling just such a tome (I'm looking at you, Scottw).

For now, I will enjoy reading through the lyrics and coming to my own conclusions as I listen to the songs WITHOUT someone else telling me what it all means. When the REAL annotated volume is available, I will buy it and enjoy every new insight, as well as taking issue with faulty readings.

Shakespeare has had the treatment numerous times (though the references are often obscure and less relevant to us moderns, the biggest problem is finding the right one). The Bible, too (stay away if you are a true believer), and the Tao Te Ching (okay, so it's really brief).
Closer to our time, I have enjoyed volumes on Thoreau's Walden (Emerson is on my holiday list), Huck Finn, T.S. Eliot (lost without it) Joyce's Ulysses (really lost without it).

So why not Dylan? His lyrics deserve a well-researched, definitive, annotated edition, and somebody on ER just might be qualified to put it together.

I'm waiting.

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 06:43 GMT 

Amazon(US) currently has 11 Copies Available.

And that's a damn shame Johanna. :(

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 06:53 GMT 

Write your own version.

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 08:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

summerteeth wrote:
So why not Dylan? His lyrics deserve a well-researched, definitive, annotated edition, and somebody on ER just might be qualified to put it together.

I'm waiting.

Yes, thanks Mr Henry.

I agree. The - few and far between - footnotes that are in TLS62 appear to be totally random. Biblical references as well as blues / folk borrowings would probably double the volume of this book, let alone all the love and theft of recent years. A missed opportunity.

Sometimes I wish ER could just pool resources for a kind of Dylan Wiki, but not sure this would work...

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 11:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

I opened mine today , it is fantastic , I am not disappointed in any way shape or form.

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 12:04 GMT 

First Thoughts Weighty Books

You need something to open up a new door
To show you something you heard before
But overlooked a hundred times or more
You need something to open your mind

And where do you look for this book that yer seekin'
Where do you look for this lyric that's a-burnin'
Where do you look for this phrase that's a-gushin'
Where do you look for these words a-glowin'
Where do you look for this page that you know is there
And out there somewhere

And though it's only my opinion
I may be right or wrong
You may not find it in the lyrics
At sundown

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 12:18 GMT 

Fabe wrote:

And out there somewhere

I may be right or wrong
At sundown

Ha. Very good.

Maybe it's the colour of my accounts now all in red
And the remortgage on my house just to cover all that debt
Or the selling of my kidneys so I can buy that Basement set
But this crazy book aint on my mind.

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 12:22 GMT 

Fabe wrote:

And out there somewhere

I may be right or wrong
At sundown

YES!!! :lol:

This is clever, and even though it seems to mock people like myself, I can take it -- and enjoy it!

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 13:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

It's nice to have the current version of Workingman's Blues, though there are some additional lyrics that I don't recall him singing ("Sometimes I wish that I'd never been kissed..."). On the next page, a new set of lyrics for Beyond The Horizon that I wasn't aware of either - "I never inquire or ask her age", etc... charming, ain't he?

Also, why no Wilburys lyrics?

PostPosted: Fri November 14th, 2014, 16:24 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
On the next page, a new set of lyrics for Beyond The Horizon that I wasn't aware of either - "I never inquire or ask her age", etc... charming, ain't he?

'Beyond Operation Yewtree', more like.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 07:48 GMT 

kybo8845 wrote:
vegma wrote:
Does anyone know why the song "I'm not there" is missing from this book?

Dylan never sat and put the lyrics down. It was pretty much an improvisational piece.

This "song" has been officially released on record - even twice! - and should have been included.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 09:04 GMT 

Write your own lyrics to it. Not even Bob knows what they really are.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 11:23 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think it is a fantastic publications. I am not disappointed in any way. It is easy to nit pick and criticize and in a work of this size about a living performer there are bound to be things that some fans may not like or feel should be there. However I am sure that it is a task that most of us would have had difficultly in achieving. I am pleased to be one of only 250 Australians who have a copy and will treasure it for ever.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 13:22 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
I think it is a fantastic publications. I am not disappointed in any way. It is easy to nit pick and criticize and in a work of this size about a living performer there are bound to be things that some fans may not like or feel should be there. However I am sure that it is a task that most of us would have had difficultly in achieving. I am pleased to be one of only 250 Australians who have a copy and will treasure it for ever.

Hardly a limited edition when everyone in the country gets a copy.

PostPosted: Tue November 18th, 2014, 22:24 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hungryhoss wrote:
oldmanemu wrote:

Hardly a limited edition when everyone in the country gets a copy.

5,000 world wide and 250 only for Australia sounds limited to me

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 06:24 GMT 

Well Australia did only get electricity last Tuesday.....

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 11:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

Hungryhoss wrote:

your pathetic attempts at humour are not really appreciated

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 11:48 GMT 

Well I love them so who else do I have to please?

PostPosted: Wed November 19th, 2014, 12:51 GMT 

oldmanemu wrote:
Hungryhoss wrote:

your pathetic attempts at humour are not really appreciated

I agree -- we all agree.
And yet, you encourage him by letting feel as though he is appreciated.
Yeah, I'm talking to myself because I let him get to me, too.
Stay strong, bro (sis?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next