Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri November 24th, 2017, 23:53 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 17:12 GMT 

Quote:
Most fans looking for the most complete collection of Bob Dylan lyrics will probably wait until the October 2015 publication of the $50 “mass market” edition of Bob Dylan – The Lyrics Since 1962.

http://rockarteditions.com/four-bob-dyl ... -compared/

I wonder if this later edition will include the 'new' Basement Tape lyrics?

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 17:24 GMT 

Glad some people like this volume. I'm not satisfied with it, so I was planning on returning it to Amazon. When I looked on Amazon, I see that they're now offering it for sale only through third party sellers as it's sold out. Their prices start at $447. I thought I'd see if anyone in the USA (sorry but international postage is prohibitive) would like it at my cost. That would be $129. I'll cover the FedEx ground postage as I'd have to pay the postage to return it to Amazon anyway. Let me know by PM if you're interested. Sorry mods if this offer is not permitted. Please pull the post and let me know if it's not kosher. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 19:34 GMT 

hollowhorn wrote:
... I wonder if this later edition will include the 'new' Basement Tape lyrics?

not according to the "Look inside" feature on amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1476797706?tag=vglnk-ca-c33-20#reader_1476797706

I guess it would only feature Basement Tapes lyrics written by Dylan anyway, but in the "Index of titles and first lines" not even "I'm Not There" is listed

["Sign On the Cross" is listed, but that song was already included in the 2004 version of Lyrics]

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 19:50 GMT 
Promethium Member

Does it have the version of To Be Alone With You about ice cream and to be or not to be?

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 20:14 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Does it have the version of To Be Alone With You about ice cream and to be or not to be?

To Be A Cone With You?

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 21:30 GMT 

notdarkyet wrote:
not according to the "Look inside" feature on amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/1476797706?tag=vglnk-ca-c33-20#reader_1476797706

Sorry Ndy, I was talking about the 2015 edition.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 21:45 GMT 

So I got my copy a few days ago and have been examining it...

First, it's huge & heavy. Daunting really, in a "Wow, Bob really has written a lot of songs hasn't he?" way. Second, it's very sharp/classy. The presentation is clean & top notch. Third, the introduction by Ricks a nicely contructed and well written.

Fourth, The Lyrics themselves. I will admit right from the beginning, I have not gone through this tome thoroughly, and have not inspected every nook and cranny. I simply went through the whole thing once at a relatively quick pace. Also I will mention that I have never owned any other Edition of Bob's "Lyrics", so I don't know if these things I'm about to detail are included in those previous versions, but here it goes anyways.

I honed in on a few specific things I thought may be of interest/show what this Edition has to offer/has corrected... One thing I went to immediately was "Buckets of Rain", because I had just posted a few days before in the "What Lyrics Have You Gotten Wrong?" thread my confusion as to the last lines of "Buckets". I have always heard the final lines as:

"Life is sad, Life is a bust
All you can do, is do what you must
You do what you must do, and you do it well
I do it for you, honey baby, can't you tell?"

but the official lyrics(bobdylan.com, etc) have always stated it's:

"I'll do it for you, honey baby, can't you tell?"

A small difference, but signifigant... The latter is promisary, while the former is declarative and to me carries much more weight in this situation(the final line of the greatest "Breakup" album ever made). It's a plea to see, as opposed to a promise to possibly fulfill down the road. It's the statement of a person on the verge of losing someone they love and have commited their soul to, as opposed to the statement of someone trying to woo a person into a commitment... Basically, that little difference between "I do it for you" and "I'll do it for you" is all the difference in the World. lol

So it was to my very pleasant suprise that in this new Edition, it has been corrected to "I do it for you", with the previously put forth version(I assume printed in the other Lyrics books) of "I'll do it for you" on the right side of the same page in a different color(I think grey), to show the difference/correction between what's actually sung as opposed to what was copyrighted. This is just a small example of what "Bob Dylan: The Lyrics Since 1962" gets right and what justifies it's wonderful existence.

Further more, there are 3 Entire(and varying) Sets of Lyrics Transcriptions for "Caribbean Wind". I would assume some of this is new?... Also, the Atlernate Lyrics that he now performs for "Workingman's Blues #2" with the vastly changed Verses is printed here along side the Album Version Lyrics(which indicates that the new version he's been performing is not a new re-write, but was written at the time)... As has already been mentioned, having The Bootleg Series Lyrics now in here is a major addition. It's great to be able to see the Lyrics for the TTS Disc 1 Version of "Most of the Time" and have confirmed or disspelled what it actually was he was saying at some of the faster parts on that wonderful version.

It should be noted that the Lyrics for "Heartland"(1993 Song with Willie Nelson) and "Waitin' For You" are listed as Outtakes/Unreleased for "Love and Theft"? Would that indicate the both of these were attempted/recorded during the L&T Sessions? Hmmm...

"Tangled Up in Blue" gets transcriptions and alternate line annotations galore(Real Live, BS 1-3, BS 5, etc), another example of how the format used for this Edition can be very effective.

On the flipside of "Buckets of Rain", the Lyric Transcription of TTS Disc 1 "Mississippi" still states the line as being "I crossed that river" as opposed to "I'd cross that river", which is what I'm absolutely 100% certain he sings on that take of the song... But oh well, we'll just to agree to disagree on that one. :lol:

This is just a tiny sample of the things this book offers... And I'm certain that repeated visits and more time spent going over the whole thing will produce countless other proper corrections and intriguing suprises.

Fifth, I don't know where any real dissatisfaction would come from with the actual product... It's what it was advertised to be. Bob Dylan's Lyrics Since 1962, presented in a Premium Very Limited Edition...

The most prevalent complaint so far(on Amazon & Elsewhere) seems to be about a Slip Case not being included like it will be with the 50 Signed Copies... I understand that bobdylan.com had the "Slip Case" in their description and picture, but nowhere was a Slip Case mentioned on Amazon or Simon & Shuaster for that matter. Do I think that at the price this Book Cost(The Publisher themselves bragging it was the biggest most expensive thing they had ever published) we should have gotten a Slip Case to protect this thing of Beauty? Absolutely... Was I kind of hoping it might come with the Slip Case like bobdylan.com promised? Honestly Yeah... Did I actually expect it to arrive with the Slip Case? No, I suspected it was a misstake on bobdylan.com's part and would only come with the signed Edition... Did it arriving without a Slip Case ruin the book for me or make me less impressed by the Edition itself? Absolutely Not.

I mean really... At the end of the day, did you buy this thing for the Lyrics? Or A Slip Box?... The Lyrics are there. lol

I hope Simon & Shuaster do the right thing by the dissapointed customers and make up some more Slip Cases to atone for the error on bobdylan.com and make them available for those that purchased the book and feel they are owed a Slip Case... God knows Simon & Shuaster are making enough Money off this thing to be able to make this right and quiet the distraction, so that this Book can receive the praise it desearves.

On the other hand, I bought the "Box of Vision" Set... And Wonder if "The Lyrics Since 1962" would fit in there in place of the Binder? Hmmm... Gonna have to give it a try...

The "extensive annotations" by Ricks were abandoned, and this was made perfectly clear well in advance. So I don't know why anyone would be suprised/dissapointed to find them not there. *shrugs*

Anyways, if I had any complaints with the Book, it would be part of what makes it so Grand and Beautiful... And that's the Size & The Weight... Really the weight. I'm a 28 year old young man. The Book is freakin heavy, and hard to read casually or for enjoyment purposes because of this. It's a shame really, but I don't know how they would have remedied it and still made their point so gloriously(here's looking at you Nobel Committee)... But yeah, pulling it out and finding a way to browse it comfortably is a chore.

And yes, it would have been welcome to have all the lyrics from "The Basement Tapes Complete". But I wouldn't wish the task on my worst enemy to have to come up with definitive lyric transcripts for some of those recordings(Hello "I'm Not There"), so I understand why they took a pass.

Also, from time to time, you'll come across 2 or 3 Blank Pages all in a row... Which is strange. I don't know exactly what they were going for with that?... But hey, maybe's it's so you can jot down your own transcriptions of Lyrics from your favorite Obscure Unreleased Live Lyric Variations not detailed in the book? :lol: ... There you go, that problem's solved. :mrgreen:

In Closing... I'm very happy with my purchase of "Bob Dylan: The Lyrics Since 1962", and I can't imagine any big Bob Dylan fan that could spend some time with it wouldn't feel the same. I'm glad I got one of the 3,500 Copies before they sold out, and I have sneaking suspicion I'll be feeling that even more over the next fews years as this thing raises in value(note to you people canceling over a Slip Case, you'll probably be able to sell it in month for double it's cost, if not already).

Anyways, that's all I've got.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 22:07 GMT 

From Isis:
Quote:
We understand that publisher Simon & Schuster received pre-sales for more than twice their total print run and that most U.K. retailers have only received a tiny fraction of their orders.

ISIS has been extremely fortunate to have received our full allocation and everyone who ordered “Lyrics: Since 1962” with us (and were told by us that they would receive a copy) will indeed do so. Unfortunately however, we have no spare copies.

We are working hard to parcel and dispatch “Lyrics: Since 1962” and all our customers should receive their copies by the publication date of November 6.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 22:14 GMT 
Titanium Member

Great write-up, Illy.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 23:13 GMT 

Yes, Illy, most informative, I just hope I get my order fulfilled.

PostPosted: Thu October 30th, 2014, 23:56 GMT 

I already posted my experience with the book a couple pages back and I would concur with Illy on every point except I would bring the 100% certainty of the line from "Mississippi" down to 99% or so because I have always heard, "I crossed that river…"

Thanks for your thoughtful write-up for the sake of people who have not seen it yet.

PostPosted: Fri October 31st, 2014, 11:41 GMT 
Promethium Member

Mine arrived a couple days ago and I had to laugh at the big yellow "Caution - Heavy" sticker on the outer box! Must be Bob, I thought. I should've saved that sticker, damn it.

Anyhow, opened it and peeled through the airbags to reveal The Inner Box.

I see a shrink-wrapped, bubble-wrapped bundle inside and can make out the insignia on the cover, so I know it's that lyrics book.

It was wrapped so neat & tight & nice that I decided to just leave it alone for now. I stashed the sealed treasure in its inner-box on a shelf in hopes of a calm day in the future.

That day when there's a good couple of enjoyable uninterrupted hours to browse, maybe as The New Complete Basements whirr in the background with plenty of either good coffee or good beer by my side.

Can't wait...

PostPosted: Fri October 31st, 2014, 11:43 GMT 
Promethium Member

First copies on ebay...

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 00:41 GMT 

I've been soaking in my copy for the last week. One thing to know about me, I got into Dylan for the lyrics. I had an on again off again relationship with him for a couple of years, until my parent's ponied up and got internet. With the WORLD WIDE WEB at my fingertips, I was able to look up the lyrics for all my albums that omitted them from their dust sleeves. Reading Visions of Johanna for the first time was like eating my first solid food or traveling outside by myself for the first time. I couldn't believe that these were pop song lyrics, and little did I know that Dylan would still be at my side after all these years. I've abandoned so many others, but Dylan stays.

Anyway - the first thing I looked up was Tangled Up in Blue, somewhat expecting pages and pages and pages of alternative lyrics. Sadly, they only print the original Blood on the Tracks and the Real Live version in full. The live 75' version and the bootleg series vol. 2 changes are in the annotations. I was really hoping for versions he's only done in concert as well, since they did add the alternative Workingman's Blues #2, Beyond the Horizon and the other 2 Caribbean Winds. But no. Oh well. It is very nice to have the Real Live version in print.

This may be old news for some, but it was new for me - The importance of pronouns in Simple Twist of Fate - they print the full lyrics side by side from the Live 75 and Live at Budokan, and the simple changes he makes give the song a different protagonist. In '75, it is He who feels the heat of the night, but in Budokan, it is now She who feels it.
Also, the decision to pluralize certain words changes things from being general to specific. In '75, He hears the ticking of the clocks, walks the city blocks, and haunts the water-docks, and in Budokan, he hears the ticking Clock, walks the city block, and haunts the water-dock. Now, were these changes conscience, or just something that happen on stage? We'll never know, but it's the little things like this that excite me and keep me around.

Another kind of weird thing that bothers me more than it should: They put the Basement tapes Lyrics between New Morning and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid Soundtrack. Maybe somebody else knows better than I do, but that seems like a random place to put them. Either put them before or after John Welsley Harding, or after Blood on the Tracks. Also, Bootleg Series 10 is the last set of Lyrics, yet all of those songs were written in the early 70's. All of the other Bootleg series lyrics are where they are suppose to be according to year except those. Though it is kind of fitting that the last lyric in the book belongs to When I Paint My Masterpiece.

Another thing I got to read where the correct lyrics for Need A Woman. That song is just damn creepy.

I know I tend to nit-pick a lot, but I honestly love the book. It's a lot of fun to go through and I know I will often. It's not something you can eat in a single bite, and I'm sure I'll make more discoveries that excite, and more things to nit-pick. From one Dylan fan to others - this book is worth it.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 01:28 GMT 

circus sands wrote:

In '75, He hears the ticking of the clocks, walks the city blocks, and haunts the water-docks, and in Budokan, he hears the ticking Clock, walks the city block, and haunts the water-dock. Now, were these changes conscience, or just something that happen on stage? We'll never know, but it's the little things like this that excite me and keep me around.

That was a really interesting post, and it makes me want the book because I love the lyrics as poetry, and the fact that they continue to move through time. To me, it's some sort of extra dimension poetry all his own, and how fantastic for it to be a part of the concert experience sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 02:13 GMT 

A book like this is always going to be incomplete, but I will hold out for a better effort, one that attempts to annotate more than just the odd lyrical variation but instead also references the various live incarnations over the years--to the extent that is humanly possible/worth while. It's just all rather arbitrary.

On another note: the lyric change to "Love Sick" ("sometimes I want to take to the road and plunder --> "sometimes I feel like I am being plowed under" or something to that effect)--is this referenced, and, if so, how is the change presented (as a footnote?)

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 02:30 GMT 

Foggy wrote:
A book like this is always going to be incomplete, but I will hold out for a better effort, one that attempts to annotate more than just the odd lyrical variation but instead also references the various live incarnations over the years--to the extent that is humanly possible/worth while. It's just all rather arbitrary.

On another note: the lyric change to "Love Sick" ("sometimes I want to take to the road and plunder --> "sometimes I feel like I am being plowed under" or something to that effect)--is this referenced, and, if so, how is the change presented (as a footnote?)

The main lyrics are as they are sung, so the line in the lyrics are "Sometimes I wanna take to the road and plunder" but it is annotated with the "official" lyrics. On the bottom right side of the page it reads:

"Sometimes I feel like I'm being plowed under"

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 02:40 GMT 

Belle Laugh wrote:
circus sands wrote:

In '75, He hears the ticking of the clocks, walks the city blocks, and haunts the water-docks, and in Budokan, he hears the ticking Clock, walks the city block, and haunts the water-dock. Now, were these changes conscience, or just something that happen on stage? We'll never know, but it's the little things like this that excite me and keep me around.

That was a really interesting post, and it makes me want the book because I love the lyrics as poetry, and the fact that they continue to move through time. To me, it's some sort of extra dimension poetry all his own, and how fantastic for it to be a part of the concert experience sometimes.

It's great to see it all down on the page. When listening at home or in concert, we miss a lot of the subtleties of the lyrics, because let's be honest, Dylan doesn't isn't always clear, or enunciating. We know the songs so well, we just fill in what we missed or couldn't hear right. Now we can sit down and read the words and compare different versions side by side. Not only is he writing new verses for his songs, he is quietly changing the dynamic of the words already written just by changing a word here and there. It's an amazing testament to language and Dylan's genius in keeping his work alive and always evolving. It was evident to me with Tangled Up in Blue, how he often changes the pronouns around - but it goes way beyond that one song.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 06:23 GMT 

circus sands wrote:

The main lyrics are as they are sung, so the line in the lyrics are "Sometimes I wanna take to the road and plunder" but it is annotated with the "official" lyrics. On the bottom right side of the page it reads:

"Sometimes I feel like I'm being plowed under"

Thanks! I guess I was just using this as a "test case" in terms of the book's approach. Shows the potential that a revised, more developed, edition could take in the future . . . as seems likely now a precedent has been established.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 06:45 GMT 

The book form is deeply flawed. The true potential of lyric analysis can't be realised in traditional print. Imagine all the things an interactive lyric app could utilise to explore all the permutations, especially with audio and visual snippets and hyperlinks.

But then they couldn't charge an arm and a leg for it and you would have to embrace modern technology. Bit of a loose-lose I guess.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 08:04 GMT 

Spotted another correction... From "Up to Me":

"She’s everything I need and love, but I can’t be swayed by that"(bobdylan.com)

has been changed to

"She's everything I need in love, but I can't be swayed by that"(The Lyrics Since 1962)

Which is the way I've always heard it... So yeah, chalk up another point for this Edition.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 10:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

What about Tell Me Momma? That always seemed badly messed up in transcription.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 13:41 GMT 

scottw wrote:

The litmus test for me was to see if the ridiculous "panties on the board" was corrected to "panties overboard." It was.

this is not all that ridiculous, if you've spent any time in the rural South, or if you had parents who grew up there, and who washed their delicates by hand, rather than in a machine. If the lady's unmentionables needed attention, her Mama may very well have told her to "throw your panties on the board", as in washboard. So, given the fact that the lyrics are a moveable feast, maybe "on the board" was an actual lyrics change. :)

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 13:43 GMT 

Trev wrote:
But I'd like to see how they lay the songs out on the page. I've seen one example, and they let the line go out as long as it needed to. These songs should eat up the page like they devour the air.

Beautiful^

After reading circus sands posts last night, and getting really interested in this book, then reading the whole thread and some really good comments, I think this book could be vol 1 and have all sorts of relatives with Bob-Touched-himself, out there annotations. where he could be serious or not with his comments, making the series ultimate Dylanesque.

PostPosted: Sat November 1st, 2014, 14:04 GMT 

Belle Laugh wrote:
Trev wrote:
But I'd like to see how they lay the songs out on the page. I've seen one example, and they let the line go out as long as it needed to. These songs should eat up the page like they devour the air.

Beautiful^

After reading circus sands posts last night, and getting really interested in this book, then reading the whole thread and some really good comments, I think this book could be vol 1 and have all sorts of relatives with Bob-Touched-himself, out there annotations. where he could be serious or not with his comments, making the series ultimate Dylanesque.

I'm sorry, but the image of Bob touching himself, with his relatives standing by...
Just far too much, too graphic.
:shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next