Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 21:57 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 00:20 GMT 

I didn't want to reply to the weird thread again because I said I wouldn't but they're still leaving comments for me. Just something I wanted to tack onto my remark to this thread. I think it's relevant mentioning that some other people might read this stuff, on any given thread. Hopefully it will be permissible to have mentioned it once more here. Nice job on collecting these influences. I wonder how much of this song Robert Hunter wrote? Robert Hunter said in a recent interview that Bob supplied him with title ideas and he wrote lyrics to those title ideas from Bob. He said something like that...

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 00:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
I doubt you are still on topic...

:lol:

post of the week.......

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 00:50 GMT 

:roll:

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 01:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

the_revelator wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
I doubt you are still on topic...

:lol:

post of the week.......

It's possible, as I did here, to compliment someone on being very funny without it having any deeper meaning. This was outstandingly droll, JP.

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 01:13 GMT 

No explanation needed. I thought Johanna's comment was funny, too. Let's all have a laugh. You know you write some good stuff, rev, and so does Johanna Parker. It's ok to say that, right? And maybe some of your stuff I haven't cared for as much. I'm done talking about it now. I shall go to another thread to be on-topic about about a differnt subject. Sometimes you get to looking at a train of thought and you think it needs to be derailed, that's all. Hopefully you got where I was coming from. Namaste. :arrow: :D

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 03:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

avant-gardener wrote:
No explanation needed. I thought Johanna's comment was funny, too. Let's all have a laugh. You know you write some good stuff, rev, and so does Johanna Parker. It's ok to say that, right? And maybe some of your stuff I haven't cared for as much. I'm done talking about it now. I shall go to another thread to be on-topic about about a differnt subject. Sometimes you get to looking at a train of thought and you think it needs to be derailed, that's all. Hopefully you got where I was coming from. Namaste. :arrow: :D

good post.

PostPosted: Wed January 29th, 2014, 04:38 GMT 

Well thank you very much, sir. You were right about the "no code" thing.

PostPosted: Thu January 30th, 2014, 08:49 GMT 
Promethium Member

avant-gardener wrote:
Well thank you very much, sir. You were right about the "no code" thing.

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Sat February 1st, 2014, 01:18 GMT 

The way you related the "no code" ethos was good. I still feel that there is a certain 'code of ethics' touched upon throughout Bob Dylan's works - not to get weird about it! :mrgreen: I don't think Bob Dylan is any kind of messiah figure. He's an exceptionally talented entertainer. His themes have attracted moralists and thinkers of all sorts.

Maybe we indulge ourselves, at times, as fans, on this website. That's okay, too. I think Bob Dylan is worthy of a bit of constant discussion, throughout the interwebs. I think he's an exceptional human being. I don't want to be him. Someone named "Hippie Cat", or whatever his name was, made a related remark on another thread. It's OK to admire people. But I'm through cross-threading after this post. I don't even know if that's against the rules.

When they start putting any of our faces on Cathedral statues of Michael the archangel, we might begin to know how Bob Dylan really feels or thinks. Bob Dylan has attracted a lot of attention over the past half-century+, and I believe that's a good thing.

So anyway, Faith without works is dead. Duquesne Whistle feels like movement; feels like it's trying to provoke movement. I like the song a lot. I'm enjoying delving into the possible influences, as Johanna Parker has listed them on this thread. I feel that Bob has probably done a lot with his faith in subtle and private ways, and he's always moving around. Bob Dylan's faith is in motion. I like that he says he's not a "gambler" or "pimp" in this song. He could easily be the biggest pimp around if he wanted to be. They played DW way better last-tour than they did on the album. Just sayin'. I think DW is all about the "collected influences", in a way.

PostPosted: Sun February 9th, 2014, 00:13 GMT 

I wonder if JP would be willing to open another, similar thread for another of the songs on 'Tempest.' Would be very interesting to read!

PostPosted: Sun February 9th, 2014, 12:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Thanks. I'm currently looking into it under the aspect of what Bob called "something more religious" than what he claims to have come up with for the album. There's still a lot going on there in a religious / spiritual way, so that's another interesting angle.

PostPosted: Sun February 9th, 2014, 12:22 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
Thanks. I'm currently looking into it under the aspect of what Bob called "something more religious" than what he claims to have come up with for the album. There's still a lot going on there in a religious / spiritual way, so that's another interesting angle.

A lot of this has already been discussed in various threads.