Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 16:04 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Mood Swings
PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:05 GMT 
Promethium Member

^ Here's one of mine. It's called Double Elvis. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

scottw wrote:
raging_glory wrote:
So the picture of Bob's painting is his work?

That's how Richard Prince presents it. Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013 is a new Richard Prince work based on the 2010 painting Favela Villa Broncos by Bob Dylan.

If he can turn that into a million bucks, like he did with the work taken from the Marlboro ad that he called Untitled (Cowboy), waits to be seen. Prince has grouped this Dylan-based work with some new cowboy works.

Thanks! I'll pass on buying this one ;) I must say, and some may look upon me with scorn because of it, but it's all seems a bit too pretentious for me. We all have our idea of what qualifies as art.

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
seems a bit too pretentious for me.

^
This. Instagram photo of painting. Yeah, right...

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:14 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
Thanks! I'll pass on buying this one ;) I must say, and some may look upon me with scorn because of it, but it's all seems a bit too pretentious for me. We all have our idea of what qualifies as art.

Here's Kevin McDonough on Nancy creator Ernie Bushmiller's take on fine art: "To Nancy and Sluggo, artists were always hoaxes, goateed fast-buck hucksters pawning child's play off as 'abstract,' 'modern,' and ultimately incomprehensible art. While gullible adults might fall for these flim-flam men and their wares, Nancy and Sluggo were always ready to laugh at the emperor's new clothes."

I am Sluggo with a beret.

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:18 GMT 
Mercury Member

scottw wrote:
raging_glory wrote:

Here's Kevin McDonough on Nancy creator Ernie Bushmiller's take on fine art: "To Nancy and Sluggo, artists were always hoaxes, goateed fast-buck hucksters pawning child's play off as 'abstract,' 'modern,' and ultimately incomprehensible art. While gullible adults might fall for these flim-flam men and their wares, Nancy and Sluggo were always ready to laugh at the emperor's new clothes."

I am Sluggo with a beret.

Nice. Thanks for the quote.

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 01:00 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
raging_glory wrote:
So the picture of Bob's painting is his work?

That's how Richard Prince presents it. Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013 is a new Richard Prince work based on the 2010 painting Favela Villa Broncos by Bob Dylan.

If he can turn that into a million bucks, like he did with the work taken from the Marlboro ad that he called Untitled (Cowboy), waits to be seen. Prince has grouped this Dylan-based work with some new cowboy works.

Thanks very much for this. I should start following him on Instagram.

For those who are befuddled by the issues Prince is interested in, see 'appropriation' and 'authorship.' The work of photographer Sherri Levine is a good entry point to this kind of artist. There is something serious going on here.

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 02:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

scottw wrote:
A few hours ago Richard Prince posted a new piece called "Untitled (hippie) 2013" on Instagram. One might detect shades of Revisionist Art in it.

http://instagram.com/p/h1qmeLESMc/

Hey scottw - have you read all the comments on this photo?

Someone named "vdblues" comments "I still believe Mr. Prince did the Dylan magazine art works."

vd blues - song by Woody Guthrie covered by Dylan on the Minnesota Hotel Tape in 1961.

JP - You may not much care for Richard Prince but I believe this is the way into analyzing what Dylan is doing now in much of his work, both lyrics and artwork.

And I'm not entirely sure that Dylan isn't exhibiting Prince's work as his own. It would fit in perfectly with Prince's own ethos as well as comment on (both seriously and humorously) the rampant and unattributed borrowing in Dylan's songwriting and "Chronicles 1" and the copying in many of the paintings.

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 03:19 GMT 
Titanium Member

from over on the 'master thief' thread...

scottw wrote:
arthurprecarious wrote:
The old plagiarism argument is back!

http://dissidentvoice.org/2013/12/bob-d ... lagiarism/

What do you think?

Alexander T. Deley, the writer of the article, places a high importance on "correct citation or notation" in the piece. With that in mind I point out that he incorrectly cites my writing in his footnotes twice.

hey Sluggo, by the way, this was hilarious

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 23:02 GMT 

http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/20 ... itive-art/

"Bob Dylan’s Fugitive Art
Richard Prince

I was lucky to be invited to see Bob Dylan’s paintings when I was in L.A. this past winter. Part of the seeing was how I got there. I’m not going to tell you exactly where it was, but getting to his studio was like that scene in Goodfellas when Ray Liotta parks his car outside a nightclub … I think it’s Copacabana … and goes in a side entrance, down a hall past a lazy-ass watchman, into the kitchen, through another hallway, and out into the main room and ends up right next to the maître d’, who then ignores the people in line waiting to get in and hugs and kisses Ray and his girlfriend and shows them right down in front of the stage, where a small table, two chairs, and a plug-in lamp suddenly, miraculously, appear."

Worth a read to see the connection between Dylan and Prince and for the way Prince puts Dylan into the context of the history of art.

This was the first link that came up when I typed in Richard Prince and Bob Dylan. There were lots more.

PostPosted: Thu December 19th, 2013, 01:45 GMT 

Maybe the Rev can recall where s/he posted about Prince's lawsuit dealing with copyright infringement and intellectual property (essentially plagiarism) and the photos of some other person's photos.

Love and thefty.

PostPosted: Thu December 19th, 2013, 16:18 GMT 
Senior Moderator

So.

I've restored this thread as best as I can.

I've given directives to a few participants to put certain posters on foe. This isn't up for debate.

I've often assumed (wrongly so) that everyone knows appropriate *tone* etiquette when corresponding on the internet. Remember that every post you make carries a *tone*. Prior to hitting enter, reread your post and *listen* to the tone. You're not here to beat any dead horses; a conversation is not a vehicle of conquest.

I know almost everyone's position on the subject being discussed. Most of you have made it clear. If I have that figured out (and I'm not participating), you do, too. If another user has indicated their point of view and you don't agree, it's not necessary to tell them they're wrong or that they need to do certain things to change their opinion. Some people may have already come to their own conclusions on their own using their own methods. You may not agree with them but it's their right. Move on.

This thread will stay up as long as it's civil and everyone is mindful of the *tone* they're using. If it *sounds* like there's any deviation from this, it will be removed for good.

I will not be rewriting the Terms of Use to outline what correct internet tone is. If you don't know what it means by now, you shouldn't be here.

PostPosted: Sat December 21st, 2013, 01:17 GMT 

So, Rev, any recollection of in which thread your posts about the Prince lawsuit about his photos of photos can be found?

The imbrication of the visual styles and subject matter of the artwork of Richard Prince and Bob Dylan seems important. Would love to hash this thing out.

PostPosted: Sat December 21st, 2013, 08:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

MMD wrote:
So, Rev, any recollection of in which thread your posts about the Prince lawsuit about his photos of photos can be found?

The imbrication of the visual styles and subject matter of the artwork of Richard Prince and Bob Dylan seems important. Would love to hash this thing out.

I had to look up "imbrication"! Great word.

This will have to wait until I feel better - I'm still having trouble focusing. Maybe over the holidays I can find some things. I wanted to look at posts by scottw that refer to meetings between Prince and Dylan. I assume they've met through Larry Gagosian and wanted to see exactly what Prince has said about their contact. Indications of whether the purported encounters are a goof or whether they do appear to be in league, especially whether Dylan might be exhibiting some of Prince's work as his own. One thing I've thought about recently is given the long lawsuit Prince was involved in over accusations of stealing another photographers work he won the lawsuit this year), how Dylan might enjoy paling with Prince since he apparently has sued people for copyright infringement. That's a weird pair.

PostPosted: Sat December 21st, 2013, 09:43 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
MMD wrote:

One thing I've thought about recently is given the long lawsuit Prince was involved in over accusations of stealing another photographers work he won the lawsuit this year), how Dylan might enjoy paling with Prince since he apparently has sued people for copyright infringement. That's a weird pair.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat December 21st, 2013, 10:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

MMD wrote:
the_revelator wrote:

One thing I've thought about recently is given the long lawsuit Prince was involved in over accusations of stealing another photographers work he won the lawsuit this year), how Dylan might enjoy paling with Prince since he apparently has sued people for copyright infringement. That's a weird pair.

:lol:

I'll bet I'm the first person in history to go on record calling Bob Dylan "weird."

PostPosted: Sat February 8th, 2014, 02:56 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:

Richard Prince is doing the car doors thing too: http://postimg.org/image/72zlrbc1p/

PostPosted: Sun February 9th, 2014, 23:03 GMT 

Does anyone know if the printed catalogue of the new Revisionist Art works from the Halcyon Gallery has been released yet? When I was there in November they showed me their one specimen copy and told me it would soon be available for sale.

PostPosted: Mon February 10th, 2014, 07:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Does anyone know if the printed catalogue of the new Revisionist Art works from the Halcyon Gallery has been released yet? When I was there in November they showed me their one specimen copy and told me it would soon be available for sale.

As far as I am aware, it will not now be published. I've seen one on ebay, though. I'd suggest mailing Halcyon Gallery and asking if they have any spare preview copies.

PostPosted: Mon February 10th, 2014, 17:23 GMT 

None left at Halcyon, I gather. I picked one up on eBay, thankfully not for too much, but it's the only one I've seen.

PostPosted: Sun March 9th, 2014, 15:29 GMT 

phaedra wrote:
None left at Halcyon, I gather. I picked one up on eBay, thankfully not for too much, but it's the only one I've seen.

The one with the "Superman" cover?

PostPosted: Sun March 9th, 2014, 17:00 GMT 

Yes - and I've also bought a Side Tracks catalogue on eBay, too, also from the Halcyon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5