Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Mon October 23rd, 2017, 11:48 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mood Swings
PostPosted: Sun December 8th, 2013, 15:50 GMT 

MMD wrote:
Given the quality of the images, these catalogues better be very, very inexpensive. How do you do a high quality catalogue of these (purposefully?) low-grade images?

They did it for Warhol, they can do it for Dylan.

MMD wrote:
Aren't they printed on some kind of crappy plastic.

The Revisionist Art pieces are printed on large canvases about 5 ft in height. Viewed from up close you can see how some of the Photoshop retouching was done. The colors look stunning.

PostPosted: Sun December 8th, 2013, 16:16 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
Scott -might be something to do with counterfeiting.

"in May 2013, federal authorities announced that a trove of paintings and drawings by artists like Jackson Pollock, Barnett Newman, Robert Motherwell, and Richard Diebenkorn, many of which had been sold through New York's Knoedler Gallery for millions of dollars, were in fact the work of Pei-Shen Qian, a 73 year old painter living in Queens." - Kevin McGarry, W

Forged paintings and magic collide in the 1974 Orson Welles film F For Fake. Welles, a student of magic, opens the film by performing some sleight of hand for a child at a train station.

As he finishes a woman remarks, "Up to your old tricks I see."

"Why not? I'm a charlatan," Welles replies.

The film goes off in different directions, but at the center is the tale of professional art forger Elmyr de Hory.

http://youtu.be/KWZUG0-nn_Q

PostPosted: Mon December 9th, 2013, 05:05 GMT 

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
MMD wrote:
Given the quality of the images, these catalogues better be very, very inexpensive. How do you do a high quality catalogue of these (purposefully?) low-grade images?

They did it for Warhol, they can do it for Dylan.

MMD wrote:
Aren't they printed on some kind of crappy plastic.

The Revisionist Art pieces are printed on large canvases about 5 ft in height. Viewed from up close you can see how some of the Photoshop retouching was done. The colors look stunning.

Indeed they did, for Warhol.

And the canvases aren't something like plastic? I recalled that being the case.

The way the photoshopping is out in the open -- blatant and "sloppy" -- gives credence to scott's reading. Something about the "shoddiness" of the whole project strikes me as more than just a commentary on counterfeits, fakes, and con men in the art world. Feels like an attack on the art audience (in the broad sense, not just Dylan's).

PostPosted: Tue December 10th, 2013, 03:09 GMT 
Mercury Member

PostPosted: Tue December 10th, 2013, 06:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks raging glory, i'm still looking for the close-ups of each door i'd seen, shows the various colors nicely, thanks for this grouping shot.. of shot doors

and MMD, i'll be right back about answering you question about the gates, been swamped, back soon though!

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 11:41 GMT 

I'm trying to catch up here: Are those actual gangster doors that Bob Dylan has collected and put on display? I'm completely captivated.

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 11:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

Peggy Night wrote:
I'm trying to catch up here: Are those actual gangster doors that Bob Dylan has collected and put on display? I'm completely captivated.

As I understand, he made them. Just old doors and he shot a few holes in them, I guess. And made those prints that go with them.

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 12:02 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:

Are these car doors the gates that people are talking about?

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 12:33 GMT 
Senior Moderator

No, the gates are a different matter. You can get more details on this site.

http://www.halcyongallery.com/exhibitio ... ood-swings

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 12:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
No, the gates are a different matter. You can get more details on this site.

http://www.halcyongallery.com/exhibitio ... ood-swings

Thanks. I read the gallery's site the other day but didn't see these car doors at that time. Are they at the Halcyon?

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 12:51 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Yes, they're downstairs with the colourful and intriguing Revisionist Art magazine covers.

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 13:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
Yes, they're downstairs with the colourful and intriguing Revisionist Art magazine covers.

Didn't see them when reading the site. I'll look again. Thank you. (P.S. they look a lot like car doors Richard Prince used in his 'crash' series.....)

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 14:30 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Yes, there are quite a few precedents for the doors. They are great though; apart from anything else they conjure up the image (whether true or genuinely ... imaginary) of Bob shooting bullets into these rusty, damaged, characterful old artefacts for “art’s” sake. The accompanying framed collages of (real(?)/fictional(?)) newspaper clippings add a lovely extra level of ambiguity. One of the bits in the Pretty Boy Floyd piece (I think) said, “Police Staked Out Girlfriend’s House. Nothing happened.”

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 17:34 GMT 
Mercury Member

charlesdarwin wrote:

I was looking thru the on-line of these again..... can't see all the details, but I do think that these are the one thing that I didn't quite get into at first look, but just keep getting better every time I look again. They easily seem to have the most humor..... and opinion.... of any of his artwork. I liked the painting/prints right away, and the gates I just loved..... but I think that this Revisionist Art might actually turn out to be the most interesting, and the most telling about the artist himself.....

PostPosted: Wed December 11th, 2013, 22:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

charlesdarwin wrote:
Yes, there are quite a few precedents for the doors. They are great though; apart from anything else they conjure up the image (whether true or genuinely ... imaginary) of Bob shooting bullets into these rusty, damaged, characterful old artefacts for “art’s” sake. The accompanying framed collages of (real(?)/fictional(?)) newspaper clippings add a lovely extra level of ambiguity. One of the bits in the Pretty Boy Floyd piece (I think) said,

Police Staked Out Girlfriend’s House. Nothing happened.”

:lol:

Reflecting on the Brigitte Lacombe portrait of Bob posing with all those junked cars in his yard - I'm glad to learn there was a meaningful purpose behind turning his yard into a junkpile and that Bob wasn't just being a white trashy neighbor. :P

PostPosted: Thu December 12th, 2013, 06:48 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
Peggy Night wrote:

As I understand, he made them. Just old doors and he shot a few holes in them, I guess. And made those prints that go with them.

Thank you very much, Johanna Parker, for the informative reply.

PostPosted: Fri December 13th, 2013, 06:46 GMT 

A few hours ago Richard Prince posted a new piece called "Untitled (hippie) 2013" on Instagram. One might detect shades of Revisionist Art in it.

http://instagram.com/p/h1qmeLESMc/

PostPosted: Fri December 13th, 2013, 10:56 GMT 
Titanium Member

I'm not sure. It just looks like a pixilated version of any issue of LIFE from the 1960s/70s.

Why is it pixilated? (I mean to what aesthetic end) Don't know.

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:18 GMT 

the_revelator wrote:
I'm not sure.

How about this: Richard Prince's latest is called Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013. It reminds me of a painting from The Brazil Series: https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5112_n.jpg

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

scottw wrote:
the_revelator wrote:
I'm not sure.

How about this: Richard Prince's latest is called Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013. It reminds me of a painting from The Brazil Series: https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 5112_n.jpg

He doesn't really say it's his, though. Isn't that why Bob Dylan is in parentheses?

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
scottw wrote:

He doesn't really say it's his, though. Isn't that why Bob Dylan is in parentheses?

It's not untitled, it's a photo of Favela Villa Broncos, 2010.
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/08/20100820_bobdylanpainting-clickable_560x375.jpg

Here's the photo this was painted from:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/figures/1472-698X-7-2-1-l.jpg

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:44 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:

I think that he certainly does say that it is. The parentheses are used to differentiate this work from a range of untitled works from 2013 by Prince. For example, here's one called Untitled (cowboy) 2013 http://instagram.com/p/h7ZQuFkSMM/

You wouldn't say that the cowboy is the artist, would you? The cowboy is the subject.

Untitled (cowboy) 2013 by Richard Prince is the one with the cowboy, Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013 is the one with the painting that Bob Dylan made of a photograph.

There are also Untitled (portraits) 2013 and Untitled (male nude) 2013

There's also a couple of other, different works called Untitled (cowboy) 2013. In addition there are a bunch called Untitled (hippie) 2013; one features a LIFE magazine cover.

Prince is titling them as works of art.

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:46 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
It's not untitled, it's a photo of Favela Villa Broncos, 2010.
http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2010/08/20100820_bobdylanpainting-clickable_560x375.jpg

This work by Richard Price, based on a work by Bob Dylan (which was based on a photo), is untitled. That's what Richard Prince has called it: Untitled (Bob Dylan).

Remember, Richard Prince is the guy who took a photo of a Marlboro cigarette ad and called it Untitled (Cowboy). The work later sold for over a million bucks. This is a way that he works.

Untitled (Bob Dylan) is in the same ball park, as far as approach. It's not Richard Prince saying, "Here is a painting by Bob Dylan." Prince appears to be saying "Here's my latest work."

PostPosted: Tue December 17th, 2013, 23:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

So the picture of Bob's painting is his work?

PostPosted: Wed December 18th, 2013, 00:03 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
So the picture of Bob's painting is his work?

That's how Richard Prince presents it. Untitled (Bob Dylan) 2013 is a new Richard Prince work based on the 2010 painting Favela Villa Broncos by Bob Dylan.

If he can turn that into a million bucks, like he did with the work taken from the Marlboro ad that he called Untitled (Cowboy), waits to be seen. Prince has grouped this Dylan-based work with some new cowboy works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next