Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 09:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mood Swings
PostPosted: Sun November 24th, 2013, 23:34 GMT 

Seven 8) gates

PostPosted: Mon November 25th, 2013, 00:08 GMT 

(Krzysztof Penderecki wrote his Seventh Symphony, subtitled "Seven Gates of Jerusalem," in 1996 to commemorate the third millennium of the city of Jerusalem. Originally conceived as an oratorio, this choral symphony was premièred in Jerusalem in January 1997; it was only after the first Polish performance two months later that Penderecki decided to call it a symphony. It is written for two sopranos, alto, tenor, bass, narrator, chorus and orchestra.)

The 7 energy gates.

PostPosted: Wed November 27th, 2013, 13:31 GMT 

The side tracks thing was really interesting to hear about. Go see it!

PostPosted: Fri November 29th, 2013, 22:01 GMT 

Visited the Gallery again today and they had just re-arranged the exhibits. It seems that some of metal gates had been removed, the remaining ones had been shuffled around and the new spaces had been filled with additional Revisionist Art pieces that were not there earlier this week.

Also they told me that there would soon be a catalog of the new Revisionist Art pieces. They had one specimen copy of the catalog and it looked fantastic.

Unfortunately there will not be a catalog of the Gangster Doors.

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 08:38 GMT 
Promethium Member

My Echo, My Shadow And Me wrote:
Visited the Gallery again today and they had just re-arranged the exhibits. It seems that some of metal gates had been removed, the remaining ones had been shuffled around and the new spaces had been filled with additional Revisionist Art pieces that were not there earlier this week.

What?? I was going to go back and see the gates again...

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 17:32 GMT 

What!? Horror! And I still didn't make it to London! :shock:

PostPosted: Sat November 30th, 2013, 21:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

i don't know why that makes me chuckle, guess the price tag includes swift disposal to said manse. :lol:

i want the green gangster door please, obviously the one that should go down in history and up in High Value. i traded stocks for a living, i am Smart you know. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 13:21 GMT 

Has anyone been this week? I am keen to know what the three (?) Side Tracks catalogues are that have appeared on the Halcyon's website - helpfully (!) without any details, or prices. The new Revisionist Art catalogue looks great, but again I can't find a price? I will have to visit again over Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 13:29 GMT 

Oh, disappointment...I just rang the Halcyon and the Revisionist Art and Side Tracks catalogues are only online catalogues, not print ones...and I had my credit card all ready... :(

PostPosted: Wed December 4th, 2013, 14:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

When I was at the gallery recently for my guided tour, I was told that the Revisionist Art catalogue was in fact coming out, but that it wasn't ready yet and that they would keep me informed on when it will be available. They have given contradictory information in the past, so I hope there's still going to be an actual book.

The three "catalogues" shown on the website have been up for a while, I was told that the images were just for reference. I guess you're aware of the new books they do have - Mood Swings (hardback and paperback), a new and beautiful large hardback Drawn Blank Series and a limited edition box set of the new Drawn Blank Series book along with several prints of the Drawn Blank pencil sketches (I think this comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by Bob).

PostPosted: Thu December 5th, 2013, 22:16 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
When I was at the gallery recently for my guided tour, I was told that the Revisionist Art catalogue was in fact coming out, but that it wasn't ready yet and that they would keep me informed on when it will be available. They have given contradictory information in the past, so I hope there's still going to be an actual book.

When I was there last week they showed me a printed pre-release copy of the new Revisionist Art catalogue and told me it would soon be available for sale.

PostPosted: Thu December 5th, 2013, 22:21 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
Many thanks for the info. I'll order it as soon as it becomes available. :)

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 02:33 GMT 

Given the quality of the images, these catalogues better be very, very inexpensive. How do you do a high quality catalogue of these (purposefully?) low-grade images? Aren't they printed on some kind of crappy plastic.

I swear, Dylan is just having a blast messing with the galleries and with gallery attendees spending good coin on this stuff. He and Prince have to be behind a one way mirror in the gallery drinking whiskey and laughing their asses off.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 03:03 GMT 
Promethium Member

^ the odds are at least 50/50, though I suspect he does enjoy making stuff, and if people will pay to look at it then why not?

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 03:43 GMT 

No, I'm sure he enjoys it and I don't deny he's an artist (as in bona fide and all that). And I'm not criticizing him for putting it in galleries. I just was saying that I think the parody aspect of his work doesn't seem to get enough attention -- and I wonder whether those buying it are buying it with the parody in mind. That's some meta sh*t.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 04:23 GMT 
Titanium Member

the trouble with the 'it's all parody' is that it can't be proven to be a parody

or maybe that's its best part :lol:

or maybe the point is that question.... or that question is the point

oh meta, or maybe not

8) secrets he can't disguise :lol:

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 10:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Any word on how popular the Revisionist pieces are? Are they selling as well as the other paintings, or the metalwork? If I had the spare cash, I'd take a Drawn Blank painting over one of the photoshop things any day.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 12:52 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Purely a personal opinion, but I would say humour, or more precisely, playfulness is pretty much integral to all Dylan’s most successful work. This was clarified to me by seeing the Revisionist Art pieces in all their tacky glory on the Halcyon Gallery walls. The deliberately stooge like humour, the fabulous non sequiturs to be found in the juxtaposition of text and image, the garish relish to the “terrible” jokes exemplified by the materials employed and the size of the pieces couldn’t help but bring a smile to my face, I even laughed out loud at one particular picture. Our reactions generated a matey sense of community among the strangers in that part of the gallery while I was there, we were smiling, catching each other’s eyes and just sort of mutually realising we were all in on something fun(ny). As far as I’m concerned it was art and I think Dylan made the stuff in good faith. The idea which some people hold that something which doesn’t immediately fit into the standards they accept for creativity or that they don’t “get” must obviously be an attempt to mock or con them is, I think, philistinism.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:19 GMT 
Senior Moderator

^ :lol: Exactly!

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:53 GMT 

charlesdarwin wrote:
Purely a personal opinion, but I would say humour, or more precisely, playfulness is pretty much integral to all Dylan’s most successful work. This was clarified to me by seeing the Revisionist Art pieces in all their tacky glory on the Halcyon Gallery walls. The deliberately stooge like humour, the fabulous non sequiturs to be found in the juxtaposition of text and image, the garish relish to the “terrible” jokes exemplified by the materials employed and the size of the pieces couldn’t help but bring a smile to my face, I even laughed out loud at one particular picture. Our reactions generated a matey sense of community among the strangers in that part of the gallery while I was there, we were smiling, catching each other’s eyes and just sort of mutually realising we were all in on something fun(ny). As far as I’m concerned it was art and I think Dylan made the stuff in good faith. The idea which some people hold that something which doesn’t immediately fit into the standards they accept for creativity or that they don’t “get” must obviously be an attempt to mock or con them is, I think, philistinism.

To call something parodic isn't to call something a con. Nor is to say that the parodic, subversive aspect of Dylan's work (the Revisionist work in particular) may not be widely appreciated or well understood, and to postulate that Dylan (and Prince) may find this lack of recognition amusing, to impugn Dylan or his work.

I wasn't being critical of the artworks for failing to meet some standard criteria of good art. My point was different.

The ugliness of the pieces isn't just a critique of "traditionally beautiful art" or of the prestige and aesthetic environment of the gallery. Their value, such as it is, lies in precisely their ugliness, dumbness and crassness.

The failure to fully appreciate the parody involved in the garish and chintzy Revisionist pieces is the failure I'm aiming at.

Of course, it's possible that the Gagosian has already assimilated the gesture -- a repressive desublimation of the critique of the consumerism of contemporary art galleries and art audiences. Maybe the ugly pieces in the high-end consumer space of the Gagosian lack parodic power because the Gagosian's in on the joke.

But the capitalist consumerism infusing the whole show and its reception can't be denied.

Nor can the consumerism of at least some of the audience.

That the pieces are dumb and ugly and poorly made but still hung in galleries and still purchased, still collected, still drawing paying customers to the galleries for tours, and still reproduced and sold in glossy expensive catalogues despite everyone feeling as if they're in on the joke: that's the joke.

Playful is a bit of a tepid word for the disdain at work in the artworks.

Last edited by MMD on Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:59 GMT, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

:lol: Thanks JP!

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 13:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
:lol: Thanks JP!

:wink:

I didn't have the time and peace and quiet to read each word on every one of his Revisionist pieces, or on those accompanying the Gangster Doors, which is why I really do need a catalogue of those - but this one caught my eye.

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 14:04 GMT 

Yes. How much is the catalogue?

PostPosted: Fri December 6th, 2013, 14:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

MMD wrote:
Yes. How much is the catalogue?

As far as I'm aware, we're still awaiting publication, so nobody knows yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next