Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 06:33 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:16 GMT 

The first Royal Albert Hall-performance would be the perfect Live Album, and maybe the first complete one from the Never Ending Tour. What a triumph that show was.
With bonus tracks from 1st Stockholm - It's Alright, Ma and Blind Willie McTell and from Milan - Visions of Johanna, Desolation Row, A Hard Rain's A-gonna Fall.

It would be perfect!

Memorize these lines, remember this rhymes - indeed.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

The Real Albert Hall

Yes, I'd like that.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

me too

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:36 GMT 

What speaks against this: We all have nearly perfect recordings from this date and we have the bonus-tracks too.
But ok: all who visit this site would buy the official release too (perhaps we would discuss then, wether the bootleg or the official release sounds better).

(The applause of the third show would fit very well.
I#d like to listen to the singalong from Rome, too)

Last edited by HopE on Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:39 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

HopE wrote:
What speaks against this: We all have nearly perfect recordings from this date and we have the bonus-tracks too.

How good / bad was the quality of other shows and sessions that have been released in the Bootleg Series, including the so-called Royal Albert Hall show of 1966?

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:41 GMT 

Should be bootlegged the next 32 years. After that we/the future fans will see if its worth it like the original "false" recording.

They should bootleg Blackpool as Albert Hall! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:43 GMT 

Please, please, please, please.....let it be so. :D I saw 25 shows on this European tour and THAT show, man, that was as close to perfection as it's possible to get. Although perhaps I'm biased because I had a fabulously close seat. And each show along the way was different and special.

I keep thinking about what Bob said in the Rolling Stone interview last year. He said his music wasn't communal, that it gives each person a unique, personal experience (unlike, say Springsteen, who aims to bring everyone together with the same experience). Perhaps that's why this tour, despite the unchanging setlist, was so incredibly special for me. I got to hear the same songs repeatedly, but had wildly different experiences each time. I feel so privileged - it was like getting deep into a favourite album by relistening to it again, and again, and again, uncovering new layers and letting it sink into your soul....except it was sung live so the possibilities for nuance and new meanings were multiplied even further. I'm not sure if any of that makes sense, but there we have it!

Quote:
But let's not forget human nature isn't bound to any specific time in history. And it always starts with that. My songs are personal music; they're not communal. I wouldn't want people singing along with me. It would sound funny. I'm not playing campfire meetings. I don't remember anyone singing along with Elvis, or Carl Perkins, or Little Richard. The thing you have to do is make people feel their own emotions. A performer, if he's doing what he's supposed to do, doesn't feel any emotion at all. It's a certain kind of alchemy that a performer has.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bob-dylan-unleashed-a-wild-ride-on-his-new-lp-and-striking-back-at-critics-20120927#ixzz2mFVzTuUy

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:47 GMT 

Bob:
Lady Byron wrote:
I wouldn't want people singing along with me. It would sound funny. I'm not playing campfire meetings. I don't remember anyone singing along with Elvis, or Carl Perkins, or Little Richard. The thing you have to do is make people feel their own emotions.

I beg your pardon, Bob, I liked it nevertheless!
And I don't feel ashamed because of this

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 18:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

HopE wrote:
Bob:
Lady Byron wrote:
I wouldn't want people singing along with me. It would sound funny. I'm not playing campfire meetings. I don't remember anyone singing along with Elvis, or Carl Perkins, or Little Richard. The thing you have to do is make people feel their own emotions.

He forgot all those times he tried to make people sing along on JLAW.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 19:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

HopE wrote:
But ok: all who visit this site would buy the official release too (perhaps we would discuss then, wether the bootleg or the official release sounds better).

(The applause of the third show would fit very well.
I#d like to listen to the singalong from Rome, too)

I remember marveling at the Rothbury soundboard in 2009, it was like "oh, so THAT'S what's going on", and that was an unmixed soundboard (which is why the groverlid aud/SBD matrix sounded more natural, but I digress). We've had some amazing recordings this tour, for which I'm eternally grateful, but there is both heft and nuance which just can't be captured from out in the hall. The interplay of this group is where the action is (that and Bobs vocals, of course) and an official release would be a revelation, I'm guessing. The wider public would surely note both the quality of both the setlist and performances, setting off yet another phase in Dylan's career. The only reason I worry he won't put it is that it's too perfect an idea.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 20:03 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
The Real Albert Hall

Yes, I'd like that.

It sounds like the whole mood and atmosphere was so wonderful (In addition to the music) that a DVD of the experience might be nice in order to experience the warmth that abounded.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 20:06 GMT 
Promethium Member

Belle Laugh wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:
The Real Albert Hall

Yes, I'd like that.

It sounds like the whole mood and atmosphere was so wonderful (In addition to the music) that a DVD of the experience might be nice in order to experience the warmth that abounded.

Definitely! :D

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 21:22 GMT 

Yes, please! Still floating on air from the last night....Just incredible. :D

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 21:49 GMT 

HopE wrote:
Bob:
Lady Byron wrote:

In 1984 in Cologne Bob let the audience sing the refrain(s) of "Blowin' In The Wind". He stayed numb during the first one, encouraged the audience to do it once again with the second by saying: tell me, and went so far with the third chorus telling them:
Bob: Tell me one more time
Audience: the answer my friend
Bob: What?
A: is blowin' in the wind
B: I can't hear ya
A: the answer is blowin' in the wind
B: one more time
A: the answer my friend
B: louder
A: is blowin' in the wind the answer is blowin' in the wind
B: alright, now you know it
A+B: the answer ...

In, I believe, Berlin he tried to divide the audience into genders by shouting: all the male voices and after that: just the femals.

PostPosted: Sun December 1st, 2013, 21:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

I think this handful of exceptions in a 50 year performing career only prove the rule.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 00:39 GMT 
Promethium Member

I'm convinced.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 07:13 GMT 

h.egbert wrote:
In 1984 in Cologne Bob let the audience sing the refrain(s) of "Blowin' In The Wind". He stayed numb during the first one, encouraged the audience to do it once again with the second by saying: tell me, and went so far with the third chorus telling them:
Bob: Tell me one more time
Audience: the answer my friend
Bob: What?
A: is blowin' in the wind
B: I can't hear ya
A: the answer is blowin' in the wind
B: one more time
A: the answer my friend
B: louder
A: is blowin' in the wind the answer is blowin' in the wind
B: alright, now you know it
A+B: the answer ...
In, I believe, Berlin he tried to divide the audience into genders by shouting: all the male voices and after that: just the femals.

You probably never heard Barcelona 1984 ? Bob was even even more animated.
BTW: Clearly the best show of 1984

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 09:05 GMT 

I'd like an official live release. Just because I think this tour, this "standard" set, marks an important point in Bob's career. To me, this show was sort of like a "best of new Bob" thing. Great setlist, great performances. He did really well on this leg of the tour. There should be an official document of this.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 10:42 GMT 
Promethium Member

DaniArrow wrote:
I'd like an official live release. Just because I think this tour, this "standard" set, marks an important point in Bob's career. To me, this show was sort of like a "best of new Bob" thing. Great setlist, great performances. He did really well on this leg of the tour. There should be an official document of this.

ModBob rules! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 12:37 GMT 

DaniArrow wrote:

I'm glad that you feel so strongly about this leg and hey, I loved it too, but there is no official live album for the NET yet and as good as these last shows were, there are about 17 years of the NET that were much, much better than this and yet they went undocumented. I'm not convinced that Bob, Dylan Inc. and / or Sony feel as strongly about this as you and a bunch of others apparently do.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 12:56 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:
ModBob rules! :mrgreen:

Sure does! :D

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
I'm glad that you feel so strongly about this leg and hey, I loved it too, but there is no official live album for the NET yet and as good as these last shows were, there are about 17 years of the NET that were much, much better than this and yet they went undocumented. I'm not convinced that Bob, Dylan Inc. and / or Sony feel as strongly about this as you and a bunch of others apparently do.

You've got a point there, obviously no one can tell if they feel that way about those shows. I also agree that there were great shows in the past, but well, the past is past and I guess some of them will come up with the bootleg series or maybe a live box set some day, who knows.

What I was trying to say is that my gut feeling tells me right now, this would be a good time to release a recent show. Of course I can only hope that Dylan/Sony feel the same about it.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 12:57 GMT 
Promethium Member

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
DaniArrow wrote:

Much better, of course, always depends on your point of view. Of course there were other NET years that also were very good, but outside the Bootleg Series, $ony's live releases don't necessarily make sense in terms of performance quality - see Real Live or Dylan & The Dead. We should be glad if they decided to put out something as good as the show of the latest tour.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 13:40 GMT 

The final RAH show would be perfect for a live NET album - it's a beautiful photogenic venue, a historic one for Dylan, he put on a storming performance and a lot of the songs concern closure and endings. Not to mention the fact that one of the songs also contains the line "Tomorrow is Friday, we'll see what it brings".

If I were a conspiracy nut, I'd say it was all planned thus.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 14:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

His bell still rings.

PostPosted: Mon December 2nd, 2013, 14:15 GMT 

The buzz in London last week with the art exhibitions, the shows themselves and the glowing reviews was extraordinary and some official souvenir of it all makes a tremendous amount of sense. I think the title "Live at The Royal Albert Hall" has enough cachet in itself to attract attention and that's why I think a live album will happen, and fairly soon. It might not make the record company a fortune, but it will help put bums on seats when Dylan resumes touring, presumably around next April, so that's the most likely time to release it.