Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 23:38 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mood Swings
PostPosted: Tue September 24th, 2013, 13:54 GMT 

The Legendary Bob Dylan Unveils Seven Iron Gates Sculpture
The Halcyon Gallery in London is presenting a major exhibition of new works by artist and musician Bob Dylan, which will open at Halcyon Gallery this November. Building on the success of his first museum exhibition in Chemnitz, Germany in 2007 and several subsequent exhibitions, Mood Swings will show iron works by Bob Dylan for the first time, alongside original paintings and signed limited editions, all of which will be for sale.

Seven iron gates welded out of vintage iron and other metal parts created by Dylan in his studio will be featured in the exhibition and will be displayed publicly for the first time. These gates and other objects are the outcome of the artist's lifelong fascination with welding and metalwork.

These raw, industrial artworks often appear representative of a different state of mind; a different place for the artist. The gates are imbued with the stories brought to them by objects from which they are created such as a wrench, a roller skate, a meat grinder and lawn tools. There is even a reference to the artist as musician with the use of musical notes, a trebleclef and a guitar among the objects included in the iron works.

Of his new exhibition, Bob Dylan said: “I've been around iron all my life ever since I was a kid. I was born and raised in iron ore country -where you could breathe it and smell it every day. And I've always worked with it in one form or another.
Gates appeal to me because of the negative space they allow. They can be closed but at the same time they allow the seasons and breezes to enter and flow. They can shut you out or shut you in. And in some ways there is no difference.”

Paul Green, President of the Halcyon Gallery, commented: “The forthcoming exhibition will be the most comprehensive and authoritative collection of Bob Dylan’s art to date. While Dylan has been a committed visual artist for more than four decades, this exhibition will cast new light on one of the world’s most important and influential cultural figures of our time. His iron works demonstrate his boundless creativity and talent. As these artworks are made at home, not on the road, they give us a rare glimpse into another part of the artist's own personal universe.”

Internationally known as a singer and songwriter, Bob Dylan is also an author, film director, actor, radio host and visual artist. He has sold over 110 million records around the world and continues to tour extensively, logging up more than 2,500 shows since 1988.

The exhibition opens on 16 November 2013 and runs until 25 January 2014.

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/the-leg ... -sculpture

Post subject: Re: Mood Swings
PostPosted: Tue September 24th, 2013, 14:19 GMT 
Promethium Member

http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=77435

PostPosted: Tue September 24th, 2013, 16:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

from Trev on the celebrity fan thread - bob the metal ore-alator,
see, never left Minnesota

Trev wrote:
Stewart Lee -
I never liked Bob Dylan. I thought he had an annoying voice and my university friend Mike Cosgrave, a musician and metalurgist, said Dylan's principle lyrical concern seemed to be the attribution of metallic properties to non-metallic objects. Then, when I wasn't living anywhere in 1999, I stayed on the comedian Simon Munnery's floor and he used to deprive me of sleep by playing this track over and over again until I realised it was genius. Now I love Simon Munnery.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1706&p=1402867#p1402867

the song Stewart Lee refers to is "She's Your Lover Now" http://www.studiomusic.fm/_lee.html

"Somebody had better explain
She’s got her iron chain
I’d do it, but I, I just can’t remember how
You talk to her
She’s your lover now"

PostPosted: Fri November 15th, 2013, 23:30 GMT 

MOOD SWINGS

Don’t you dare miss it!
Your chance to enter through the gates, into a multi-dimensional world
where anything that is possible probably is!

la fragrance enivrante des lis
:) :) :)

PostPosted: Sat November 16th, 2013, 21:38 GMT 

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. Saw the exhibition today and loved all the ironwork. For book collectors, there is both a paperback and hardback exhibition programme, as well as a new hardback Drawn Blank Series book, and a (gulp) £450 hardback Drawn Blank book in a lovely box, with two new small limited edition pencil-drawing prints. Anyone fancy getting me it for Christmas? The Halcyon Gallery people are lovely, and tolerated me being very silly and excited, and even opened the free-standing gates in the middle of the room so I could say I had walked through them! Downstairs, the gangster car doors and the Revisionist Art (Gagosian) magazine covers are very entertaining. Would have loved to have bought an artwork, but the cheapest seemed to be £48,000 and the gates were over £200,000...(and seemed to have mainly already sold!) Well worth a visit...and walk across the road to other Halcyon store which has the Drawn Blank pictures on display.

PostPosted: Sat November 16th, 2013, 23:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

thanks phaedra, my favorite review yet

PostPosted: Sun November 17th, 2013, 23:18 GMT 

Mood Swings

Metal work is so wonderful, so full of tension like the strings of a guitar or a piano. Balanced, swinging, part of the songs and the music. Humility and grandeur, the humility of hunting/scratching, digging around for specific pieces. Tension in the hooks. And it holds a whole range of sound, great sounds, fantastic medium!

The Seven7 Gates of Hell.
:)

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 07:39 GMT 

The catalogue is very nicely-produced, with some great photos of Bob in his workshop, but there are pictures of only four of the gates, and none of the other pieces in the Halcyon (wall art, tables, railings, the bullet-riddled gangster car doors, etc) so I am very glad that I took lots of photos myself on Saturday: the Halcyon staff are lovely and very gently asked me a number of times not to, but I'm glad to have a fuller record of the exhibition than the catalogue gives.

Incidentally, John Baldwin is mistaken in his review that the catalogue costs £45 - I bought a hardback and a paperback and the total was £35. The £45 book is a lovely, large-format hardback new Drawn Blank book (2013). The same book, with a different cover, is in the £450 box with two small pencil prints. It's on my Christmas list, but not looking likely....

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 08:09 GMT 
Promethium Member

^
Thanks very much for the details.
On the Halcyon website, only the softback Mood Swings catalogue is available to order online. I hope they will add the others soon. I'll see the show for myself next week, of course, but I doubt that number of new books will fit in my hand luggage.

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 12:51 GMT 
Promethium Member

Johanna Parker wrote:
On the Halcyon website, only the softback Mood Swings catalogue is available to order online.

Just tried to buy that one, but the site won't let me check out... unless they deliver the catalogue to one of their own galleries. What? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 14:23 GMT 

The £45 book actually can't even be bought from the Gallery at the moment - you have to order it and pay £5 for the postage when it's ready.

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 14:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

phaedra wrote:
The £45 book actually can't even be bought from the Gallery at the moment - you have to order it and pay £5 for the postage when it's ready.

Actually they emailed me it wouldn't be for sale at all. All in all, pretty strange. :?

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 15:37 GMT 
Mercury Member

phaedra wrote:
The catalogue is very nicely-produced, with some great photos of Bob in his workshop, but there are pictures of only four of the gates, and none of the other pieces in the Halcyon (wall art, tables, railings, the bullet-riddled gangster car doors, etc) so I am very glad that I took lots of photos myself on Saturday: the Halcyon staff are lovely and very gently asked me a number of times not to, but I'm glad to have a fuller record of the exhibition than the catalogue gives.

Incidentally, John Baldwin is mistaken in his review that the catalogue costs £45 - I bought a hardback and a paperback and the total was £35. The £45 book is a lovely, large-format hardback new Drawn Blank book (2013). The same book, with a different cover, is in the £450 box with two small pencil prints. It's on my Christmas list, but not looking likely....

can you post any of your pics?

Thanks for the info, I am so :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually, good for you, glad it was good!!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed November 20th, 2013, 15:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

hmmm, just realized we may need a new forum title for this thread and others....
Bob Dylan: Multimedia Extraordinaire ?

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 01:22 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
hmmm, just realized we may need a new forum title for this thread and others....
Bob Dylan: Multimedia Extraordinaire ?

How about The Poet, The Painter & The Iron Gate Maker?

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 01:47 GMT 

http://www.halcyongallery.com/catalogue ... -catalogue

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 01:57 GMT 
Mercury Member

chambre wrote:
http://www.halcyongallery.com/catalogues/bob-dylan-mood-swings-catalogue

Thank you, chambre! I'd love to get a hold of one of these catalogs. I really think these gates are beautiful and really enjoyed the close up images of some of them. I love the buffalo with Bob's signature. I wonder if each of the gates has a signed iron piece. I also really enjoyed the inclusion of the old roller skate! I remember skating on those things :wink:

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 11:35 GMT 
Promethium Member

raging_glory wrote:
chambre wrote:

Thank you, chambre! I'd love to get a hold of one of these catalogs. I really think these gates are beautiful and really enjoyed the close up images of some of them. I love the buffalo with Bob's signature. I wonder if each of the gates has a signed iron piece. I also really enjoyed the inclusion of the old roller skate! I remember skating on those things :wink:

Why does the link just open to a blank page for me? I'd like to see that book.
What kinds of elements are there that my computer wouldn't open it? :?

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 14:08 GMT 

Johanna Parker wrote:

Adobe Flash Player
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 14:59 GMT 
Mercury Member

chambre wrote:

Thanks for posting this link. Could not get the view quite big enough to read all the details, some, but not all.... but the photos are wonderful..... I really think this is my very favorite form of art work.... like the prints, love the metalwork.....

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 15:05 GMT 

It's a lovely catalogue, but just a pity that so many of the pieces in the exhibition aren't in it!

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 15:26 GMT 
Promethium Member

chambre wrote:
Johanna Parker wrote:

Adobe Flash Player
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Thanks chambre. I installed, restarted PC, but still nothing...
Anyway, I managed to order the catalogue, in softback, the only one of the three they currently sell.

PostPosted: Thu November 21st, 2013, 22:14 GMT 

OMFG Black Buffalo
omg the information here is a great surprise, sublime the Arc Welder!
A good year of intense heat to say the least.

thanks for the images ! Thank you Bob for a glance behind the misty curtain :D

PostPosted: Fri November 22nd, 2013, 01:36 GMT 

I like what looks like a pulley with a green anchor icon on page 25.

And the swinging gates, page 39, with the wrenches/pliers, (forming the latch ?) full of movement at the top of those twisted augers.

And the fringe-y look (the raking part of a rake?) on the top of one.

PostPosted: Fri November 22nd, 2013, 19:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

Link by Blue Midnight:
https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1461819_461706827279924_1608304296_n.jpg