Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 23:21 GMT

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri September 13th, 2013, 11:41 GMT 

Hi everyone,

I’d like to announce a project that I am producing and directing with Cipher Pipe - ‘The Times We’ve Known’. It is the working title of a feature length film documentary around Bob Dylan’s 2013 autumn tour of Europe.

Essentially, we want to explore Dylan and his art through the people he has impacted. We want to tell the stories of the lives shaped by his music and also to capture a moment in time - of those lucky enough to follow one of art’s greats while he is still actively touring.

What is it about Dylan that evokes such desire and loyalty? What does he mean to various sorts of people? What charming and bizarre anecdotes are buried amongst us fans?

We figured it would make sense to document all of this - for the fans as well as for posterity. We don’t want to create the ‘Sycophant’s Guide to Bob Dylan’. Instead, we want the documentary to be an open platform for Dylan fans to illuminate just how important music and art, as well as Dylan, is in all of our lives and hopefully really get to know the people we interview.

We also hope to make the film more than just ‘another documentary’ and are drawing inspiration from throughout Dylan’s career - his films, his art, his music - to include compelling visual devices to enhance the storytelling. We are very excited about this creative element.

We don’t intend to ask Dylan for any involvement: not only is there enough material about him already, but what we want is to explore his impact and people’s idea of Dylan. After all, Dylan's work goes beyond simply 'muzak' or a dance beat - part of the reason for his standing is his impact on society and the people it comprises. As such, these people become part of the art. So, in a way, we want to tell the story of a painter and his work as told by his paintings. (All that said, stranger things have happened and who knows, you could end up sharing a credit with the great man himself).

But firstly, we need you to participate.

We would love to hear from you if:
- You’re planning to see any number of the European shows
- Are organising a fan meet-up group before or after any of the European shows that you wouldn’t mind us joining
- You’re happy to talk to us on film for one minute, an hour, or any length of time you like about what Bob’s music means to you
- You normally would go to the show/s, but are not this time, for whatever reason
- Or if there is any other reason why Dylan is important to you - perhaps you are a musician or a writer, met the love of your life at a Dylan concert (or on ER!), run a fan group, have a truly impressive hoard of bootlegs, or have some connection to Dylan in some way, no matter how eccentric or mundane.

If you would like to participate, please PM me on here, or you can email me at jehan@dreadnoughtmedia.co.uk

We hope you will help us to tell the story of fandom, of being on the road, and of Bob Dylan’s art in a way that hasn’t been told before.

Lady Byron and Cipher Pipe

And for reading this far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXMzL-eY3c0

About the filmmakers
This is a passion project for both filmmakers and very much an independent film, so we’re not receiving a fee. We simply think this needs to be made, and by us.

Me - Those that know me from these forums will know that I am a huge movie geek and a huge Dylan fan (well, obviously!). I first got into Bob when I was about 15, and when I heard he was playing at Brixton in 2005 I immediately bought all 5 tickets. I’m now 26, have seen him 15 times and am a writer and director.

Cipher Pipe - Cipher Pipe is another ER member and (surprise) also a huge Dylan fan. He is a musician (some of you may have heard his songs on these boards, I believe), a writer and a technology guru.

We are also lucky enough to have a very talented executive producer who has provided us with top end equipment, ensuring the best quality possible. He has produced commissions for the BBC, Channel 4, EMI and Sony. Most importantly, he really loves and believes in the film, which stands us in good stead for entering film festivals.

PostPosted: Fri September 13th, 2013, 11:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

Are you going to insist on full-frontal nudity? If you're not, then count me out!
Good luck to both of you with this. I think your timing is great, and I'm sure you'll do the project justice.

PostPosted: Fri September 13th, 2013, 12:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

Best of luck in this totally ambitious adventure!

PostPosted: Fri September 13th, 2013, 17:44 GMT 
Titanium Member

best of luck, great idea, i had the same one in 2007, travelled the length of the 2007 US fall tour after extensively hitting other legs before and since,
i argue one has to get out there in one's personal odyssey too, don't forget :wink: -

and please follow frederica extensively!!!!!!

-- she deserves a whole doc to herself and i was working on such an idea myself over five years ago when i met her,
bob i am sure sees her waving through the fence at him many times
and must appreciate her professional loyalties to the road at least? :)

(and don't forget the lost ones, like sara dylan, or dear thomas the fan, and john hume, --to say just a few friends gone too soon)

but frederica's unbelievable persistence for years to see bob worldwide,
driven by an idiosyncratic love-hate interpretation of bob's performances
is highly addictive to be entrained to, witnessed as you talk with her.

and she does this all without having purchased a ticket to each show - you have to be boggled at the zen edge of her work.

if you get Baron to talk about the craziness
you win the "Bob-Fan of the Year Award", another idea i had we should all bestow on our fellow camp followers who share their bob-love with us all

PostPosted: Fri September 13th, 2013, 18:49 GMT 
Senior Moderator

I've met so many wonderful people in Dylanqueues and had so many fascinating conversations - it would be great if some of that sort of thing could be preserved for posterity. Good luck with the project! :)

PostPosted: Sat September 14th, 2013, 12:04 GMT 

Thank you so much for all the responses and good luck wishes so far! I feel very lucky to able to hear everyone's stories. Keep 'em coming :D I'm sorting through everyone's emails so do bear with me if you haven't heard back from me yet.

Charlesdarwin, the idea partly came from all the wonderful moments and conversations that we have had in Dylan queues. Let me know if you're planning to make an appearance at any of the GA shows this tour, I would love to meet you and hear your queue stories. And to put a face to the name after all these years!

Bobschool, that is fascinating that you did this with the fall US tour, thank you for sharing (I'm going to PM you separately about that!).

Bobschool also raises a good point - it would be lovely to have some sort of tribute to the fans sadly lost but not forgotten. If anyone would like to say a few words or share some stories at some point about people like John Hume do get in touch.

Trev - when did I say this was going to be PG-13?

Still Go Barefoot - thank you for your wishes. Ambitious? No doubt, but mostly in the sense that we're not making Shark Attack 5 :wink: (That's my retirement project. That, or "Sharks Attack One Direction". One can but dream.)

PostPosted: Sat September 14th, 2013, 15:29 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lady Byron wrote:
Let me know if you're planning to make an appearance at any of the GA shows this tour

So are you going to be at all the shows this tour?
If that helps, we could put your screen names and the link into this thread as well, for the shows you'll be going to:
http://www.expectingrain.com/discussions/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76798&start=150

Cipher_Pipe invited me to meet him in London, so I'll be around. I'd prefer not to talk on camera... but maybe I can help in other ways?

PostPosted: Sat September 14th, 2013, 15:40 GMT 

Hi Johanna - yes, both Cipher and I will be going to all the shows this tour, it would be really great if you could add us to your list :) We will probably alternate with who gets to see each actual show, as one of us will need to take care of our equipment, but we will be in the queues for all the GA shows and in town for the seated shows, meeting fans both individually and at pub meet-ups etc.
Your help would be invaluable! In fact Cipher is emailing you as I write. And a huge thank you for all your help so far, such as digging out the Spanish documentary :) Looking forward to seeing you on the tour - in fact, I can't wait!

PostPosted: Sat September 14th, 2013, 16:34 GMT 

Fantastic working title! Don't think you'll come up with anything better so I hope you stick with it. Best of luck, it sounds like you'll both have a lot of fun with it and I'll look forward to seeing the eventual finished product. I'll be at a few of these shows so maybe I'll see you out there.

PostPosted: Sat September 14th, 2013, 20:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Im looking forward to seeing you at the Glasgow shows. This sounds like a wonderful idea for a film!

PostPosted: Sun September 15th, 2013, 12:12 GMT 

Thanks Sweet Melinda and Gibson! Looking forward to seeing you both there :)

PostPosted: Tue September 17th, 2013, 23:09 GMT 

Did you get the title from the Charles Aznavour cover?

PostPosted: Wed September 18th, 2013, 05:34 GMT 

Good luck with this - sounds like it'll be great fun (if hard work too) to do. Very positive feedback already - you are off to a flyer :D

PostPosted: Wed September 18th, 2013, 15:38 GMT 

Me and my wife would be more than willign tot ake part. I've only seen Bob once before, but it was transcendent. We actually got married on the basis of our mutual love for him, and her proposal to me was buying me a $2 compilation.

PostPosted: Thu September 19th, 2013, 20:13 GMT 

I´m going to:

Duesseldorf
Berlin (first 2 shows)
Milano (all 3 shows)
Roma (all 2 shows)
Esch-sur-Alzette
London (all 3 shows)

I´m the guy with the guitar singing for the queue at the GA gigs :P

Btw: I organize a pre-show gathering on October 23rd, the day before the Berlin shows. Location: Bar Haliflor, Schwedter Strasse 26, Berlin. Starts at 8 pm sharp. You´re very welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri September 20th, 2013, 09:54 GMT 

Update: We're absolutely chuffed by the all the support and volunteers that are flooding in - keep 'em coming :D
And if anyone has thoughts or ideas about the film, do post them up - we want this to be for the fans, so am very interested indeed in anything and everything you have to say!

PostPosted: Fri September 20th, 2013, 10:01 GMT 

ps I cannot even put into words about how much I'm looking forward to meeting everyone, and to (hopefully) seeing more Bob shows in one go than I have ever done before!

PostPosted: Sun September 22nd, 2013, 13:13 GMT 

A perhaps similar thing was done once by Jos de Putter. It's called "How Many Roads" and circulates on internet tv. Do you know it?
<http://bobdylaninnederland.blogspot.nl/2008/02/how-many-roads-van-jos-de-putter.html>
<http://www.filmkrant.nl/_titelindex_H/3191>

PostPosted: Sun September 22nd, 2013, 20:24 GMT 

triumphh wrote:
A perhaps similar thing was done once by Jos de Putter. It's called "How Many Roads" and circulates on internet tv. Do you know it?
<http://bobdylaninnederland.blogspot.nl/2008/02/how-many-roads-van-jos-de-putter.html>
<http://www.filmkrant.nl/_titelindex_H/3191>

Ah, this is news to me, thank you Triumph. I am torn between watching it for my research, and not watching it in order to avoid being influenced by it...Have you seen it? Did you like it?

PostPosted: Mon September 23rd, 2013, 20:56 GMT 

Lady Byron wrote:
Ah, this is news to me, thank you Triumph. I am torn between watching it for my research, and not watching it in order to avoid being influenced by it...Have you seen it? Did you like it?

It's good. A European's view on the always marvelling American way of life. Especially these small aspects of it. Bob Dylan is more pretext than content. But this makes it more interesting for Expecting Rainers. Of course the film is set around the characters with the best stories. He may have left out 20 others with lifes less extreme.

PostPosted: Sat September 28th, 2013, 21:13 GMT 

You've got a PM from me Lady Byron :arrow:

PostPosted: Thu October 3rd, 2013, 23:56 GMT 

I am a poet,
composer,
musician,
and will be following the tour
beginning on the October 30th Amsterdam Shows.

Id love to help in any way possible.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri October 4th, 2013, 18:20 GMT 

Hi, I've just seen this topic and think that this project is a great idea!

I've been going to Dylan shows since 1984. The first time he came to Vienna was in 1981 and I did have a ticket for the show but since my then- mother-in-law had died two days before the show I couldn't go. So I had to wait another three years but from that time on I've been to every show in Austria and after a while - since Austria hadn't always been on the agenda - I started chosing a place in Europe I'd like to go to anyway and thus have managed to see BD at least once every time he and his band toured Europe. Things definitely have changed since 1984!!
I couldn't afford to attend every single show and - quite honestly - I don't even think I'd want to. I would still consider myself a very dedicated Dylan fan but I like it the way I do it - it is always something very special.
This year I'm going to Copenhagen to attend the show on Oct. 15 and I'm very much looking forward to it. Maybe I'll get to see some ER people, but I only know very few.

Good luck with the documentary!

PostPosted: Wed October 9th, 2013, 14:36 GMT 

A bit of an update: Cipher Pipe and I have arrived in Oslo, and are looking forward to meeting all the lovely Norwegian fans who are kindly sharing their experiences with us (and in some cases even making us dinner! I am so glad be a Bob fan :D ). I'll be replying to everyone's emails over the next days, apologies if I've been a little slow recently!

We can see that we don't have many people to meet in Copenhagen and Hamburg, so if anyone is around on those shows do get in touch :)

And - ohmygoodnessme - so excited to be seeing the Man himself in tomorrow's show - my first time seeing the start of a tour...

PostPosted: Wed October 9th, 2013, 15:16 GMT 

Lady Byron wrote:
A bit of an update: Cipher Pipe and I have arrived in Oslo, and are looking forward to meeting all the lovely Norwegian fans who are kindly sharing their experiences with us (and in some cases even making us dinner! I am so glad be a Bob fan :D ). I'll be replying to everyone's emails over the next days, apologies if I've been a little slow recently!

We can see that we don't have many people to meet in Copenhagen and Hamburg, so if anyone is around on those shows do get in touch :)

And - ohmygoodnessme - so excited to be seeing the Man himself in tomorrow's show - my first time seeing the start of a tour...

Good Luck for you - enjoy it - in the heart I'm with with
Oslo must be in the mood already, mustn't?

:D :D