Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue December 12th, 2017, 23:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 06:18 GMT 

Medicine Sunday wrote:
Laugh every time Dylan and the band stand up at the front of the stage at the end of the show. No words spoken. Just staring straight-faced back at the crowd, Dylan seeming a bit anxious shifting about. And then the lights fade. Reminds of a police line-up or something.

Buses are warmed up and revving, they jump in & are out of there.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 08:00 GMT 
Promethium Member

A real strong show from Bob and the boys. His vocals surprisingly clear and full, notions that he has to semi-whisper to coax actual notes out were proven dead wrong tonight. Good phrasing...a few wayward moments but generally focused, full of feeling, invention and personality. For a bit there I thought it was going to turn into a great one but the last third or so seemed to drag a bit, except Simple Twist which was just lovely and featured the evening best harmonica work. Watchtower was pretty hot, too. Hell, maybe I was fatigued from standing for five hours straight at that point. There was a disturbing dynamic which seemed to happen time and time again as the show went through it's paces:whenever Dylan stopped singing the whole thing went kind of limp. Charlie played some brilliant stuff but too often just noodled along, barely audible in the mix and with no real drive or direction. The exceptions (like Highwater and DW) were wonderful but often it was like the air being let out of a balloon, and I yearned for what Duke brought in the spring. Charlie's rhythm parts were a class above what Duke or damn near anyone could pull off, to the extent I could hear them anyway.

I love the new tangled lyric that I quoted earlier...I wish you could all have heard him sing it. Also, some of people he used to know are buried in the ground, and some had to get out of town.

Summer Days is kind of dead weight right now, the show wouldn't have suffered if it were simply omitted (and I love that song).

Fashion report: bob in black with jacket and the usual, odd, piping down the trousers. Band was in matching cream or tan suits. Hatless, and what difference it makes to be able to see, if not facial expressions at our distance, at least more than the lower jaw all but the first few rows can normally make out. The iconic Dylan hair seemed his on concession to the crowd on this night with no Rolling Stone or Mr Tambourine Man or any of a half dozen songs he could have easily captured the crowd with.

The rest of the day was great---RT and Wilco doing Sloth was jaw dropping. Everyone but Bob was up to do Cinnamon Girl, it was like they decided to make a big happy family vibe whether or not the big man cared to join in. From where I was Dylan did a fair job of holding the crowd-no small feat considering he didn't at anything many of them knew until the 6th song, a ballsy move on his part. Some folks did leave as his set progressed but I didn't see any horrified mass exodus. Bob Dylan had to follow three fantastic bands-and did a damn fine job of it.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 08:59 GMT 
Promethium Member

Bill Pagel wrote:
Bridgeview, Illinois
Toyota Park
July 12, 2013

1. Things Have Changed
2. Love Sick
3. High Water (For Charley Patton)
4. Soon After Midnight
5. Early Roman Kings
6. Tangled Up In Blue
7. Duquesne Whistle
8. She Belongs To Me
9. Beyond Here Lies Nothin'
10. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall
11. Blind Willie McTell
12. Simple Twist Of Fate
13. Summer Days
14. All Along the Watchtower

(encore)
15.Ballad Of A Thin Man

Thanks to April Melody & Chris Abrams and Jayne Watson
for the phone calls.

Set lists, reviews, and information on
upcoming concerts can be found on the Bob Links
Tour Infomation page located at:
http://www.boblinks.com

Bob Links Main Page:
http://www.boblinks.com

thank U

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 10:22 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Charlie played some brilliant stuff but too often just noodled along, barely audible in the mix and with no real drive or direction. The exceptions (like Highwater and DW) were wonderful but often it was like the air being let out of a balloon, and I yearned for what Duke brought in the spring. Charlie's rhythm parts were a class above what Duke or damn near anyone could pull off, to the extent I could hear them anyway.

Thanks for the report. Happy to see peeps are not enjoying the Bob part of the show.

As for Charlie, I think you're spot on. However, I suspect that Duke was bringing too much and that's the reason why Charlie is holding back / has been asked to keep a low profile. Would not make much sense to (possibly) make the same mistakes as his predecessor.

Not sure whether that means he's only there temporary and doesn't want too invest too much or if he intents to stay and is determined to not make any mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 11:07 GMT 
Promethium Member

smoke wrote:
A real strong show from Bob and the boys. His vocals surprisingly clear and full, notions that he has to semi-whisper to coax actual notes out were proven dead wrong tonight. Good phrasing...a few wayward moments but generally focused, full of feeling, invention and personality. For a bit there I thought it was going to turn into a great one but the last third or so seemed to drag a bit, except Simple Twist which was just lovely and featured the evening best harmonica work. Watchtower was pretty hot, too. Hell, maybe I was fatigued from standing for five hours straight at that point. There was a disturbing dynamic which seemed to happen time and time again as the show went through it's paces:whenever Dylan stopped singing the whole thing went kind of limp. Charlie played some brilliant stuff but too often just noodled along, barely audible in the mix and with no real drive or direction. The exceptions (like Highwater and DW) were wonderful but often it was like the air being let out of a balloon, and I yearned for what Duke brought in the spring. Charlie's rhythm parts were a class above what Duke or damn near anyone could pull off, to the extent I could hear them anyway.

I love the new tangled lyric that I quoted earlier...I wish you could all have heard him sing it. Also, some of people he used to know are buried in the ground, and some had to get out of town.

Summer Days is kind of dead weight right now, the show wouldn't have suffered if it were simply omitted (and I love that song).

Fashion report: bob in black with jacket and the usual, odd, piping down the trousers. Band was in matching cream or tan suits. Hatless, and what difference it makes to be able to see, if not facial expressions at our distance, at least more than the lower jaw all but the first few rows can normally make out. The iconic Dylan hair seemed his on concession to the crowd on this night with no Rolling Stone or Mr Tambourine Man or any of a half dozen songs he could have easily captured the crowd with.

The rest of the day was great---RT and Wilco doing Sloth was jaw dropping. Everyone but Bob was up to do Cinnamon Girl, it was like they decided to make a big happy family vibe whether or not the big man cared to join in. From where I was Dylan did a fair job of holding the crowd-no small feat considering he didn't at anything many of them knew until the 6th song, a ballsy move on his part. Some folks did leave as his set progressed but I didn't see any horrified mass exodus. Bob Dylan had to follow three fantastic bands-and did a damn fine job of it.

Thanks for documenting these thoughts Smoke. So glad that you were there. Good honest reporting about a "real strong" show.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 11:08 GMT 
Promethium Member

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
Happy to see peeps are not enjoying the Bob part of the show.

Why does this make you happy Autodesk?

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 13:11 GMT 

smoke wrote:
Everyone but Bob was up to do Cinnamon Girl, it was like they decided to make a big happy family vibe whether or not the big man cared to join in.

If just Bob's harmonica (not voice) could be heard starting to come out of the sound near the end of something like that, the applause would be like thunder. :)

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 13:24 GMT 
Titanium Member

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
AutodesSchreckens wrote:

Why does this make you happy Autodesk?

the PEEPS????? where is the plagarizing police when you need them?? :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 13:31 GMT 
Promethium Member

Belle Laugh wrote:
If just Bob's harmonica (not voice) could be heard starting to come out of the sound near the end of something like that, the applause would be like thunder. :)

Sometimes the silence feels like thunder.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 13:44 GMT 

Still Go Barefoot wrote:
Belle Laugh wrote:

Sometimes the silence feels like thunder.

True, but the harmonica is just so good, and so loved, and so recognizable.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 14:09 GMT 

I thought the show was absolutely brilliant. (Bob even made a tentative bow in the beginning.) This must be the best band in the entire history. Every one so intent on every move from our bandleader, ready to adapt to his direction. It may be true that not every moment they created was the strongest they have done but it is complete joy to watch, especially those special moments when Bob and the band obviously themselves are satisfied with the result. One such was summer days, wich started out a bit tentative but exploded with smiles all around from Bob and the band. I especially enjoyed watching the interaction between Bob and Donnie. At two occasions (at least) Bob went by Donnie and they shared a laugh and a smile. At one time the even shook hands and Donnie patted Bobs shoulder. Every expression on stage saying they know they are creating something special here, night after night. I am thankful that Charlies back and enjoying himself. However, I'm a bit worried that he seems so (I'm not sure what english word to use), but so thin almost haggard. Is he not well?

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 14:52 GMT 
Promethium Member

Merlin wrote:
It may be true that not every moment they created was the strongest they have done but it is complete joy to watch

It sure was.

I didn't notice Charlie looking any thinner than he always has, but I wasn't super close.

AutodesSchreckens wrote:

As for Charlie, I think you're spot on. However, I suspect that Duke was bringing too much and that's the reason why Charlie is holding back / has been asked to keep a low profile. Would not make much sense to (possibly) make the same mistakes as his predecessor.

Not sure whether that means he's only there temporary and doesn't want too invest too much or if he intents to stay and is determined to not make any mistakes.

Is that a typo about the peeps? Because I didn't say that, I said I thought he did well with the crowd, especially considering the lack of crowd pleasing (hit) song choices.
Charlie seemed to play exactly like he did in the fall, except he was given proper "solos" in a couple more places. Most instrumental breaks (unless Dylan played harp) are the same bland nothingness as last fall. I probably prefer this approach to the bland hour-long solos of the JJ Jackson era and it doesn't prevent me from enjoying the show, which is about Dylan himself, but I will go on an internet forum and kveltch about it :lol:

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 15:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:

A new Llama has been born!
healthy and eating happily. what a journey.
Would be a wonderful night for Born in Time!

Going to see if Mrs. Llama happens to have an urge for me to pick up dinner in Bridgeview tonight....

The Llama has balls.

That's wonderful news! Congratulations.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 16:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

Merlin wrote:
I thought the show was absolutely brilliant. (Bob even made a tentative bow in the beginning.) This must be the best band in the entire history. Every one so intent on every move from our bandleader, ready to adapt to his direction. It may be true that not every moment they created was the strongest they have done but it is complete joy to watch, especially those special moments when Bob and the band obviously themselves are satisfied with the result. One such was summer days, wich started out a bit tentative but exploded with smiles all around from Bob and the band. I especially enjoyed watching the interaction between Bob and Donnie. At two occasions (at least) Bob went by Donnie and they shared a laugh and a smile. At one time the even shook hands and Donnie patted Bobs shoulder. Every expression on stage saying they know they are creating something special here, night after night. I am thankful that Charlies back and enjoying himself. However, I'm a bit worried that he seems so (I'm not sure what english word to use), but so thin almost haggard. Is he not well?

That describes what I witnessed in Peoria to a T, minus the Bob and Donny stuff. I think his stoic presence is the aftermath of the hokey jokey danceman moves he took on from late 2009 to 2011

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 16:15 GMT 
Titanium Member

smoke wrote:

Thank you for that wonderful and detailed review
I was thinking a bit about that family vibe, and considered the possibility that Bob approves of the gesture, but as CEO of the Americanaranic enterprise, he has outsourced that role to the younger and enthusiastic bands to give 'the people' what they think they need, while he addresses their other needs.

Last edited by A Merry Llama on Sat July 13th, 2013, 16:30 GMT, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 16:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

bobschool wrote:
oh i get it you have a new boy!

Miles Samson Llama

8)

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 17:45 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
bobschool wrote:

Miles Samson Llama

8)

Congrats! That's excellent.
Be sure to read the book "Is Your Mama A Llama" to Miles & Mom!

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 18:17 GMT 
Promethium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
bobschool wrote:

Miles Samson Llama

8)

Congrats!

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 18:40 GMT 
Titanium Member

^Thank you!
John B. Stetson wrote:
A Merry Llama wrote:

A new Llama has been born!
healthy and eating happily. what a journey.
Would be a wonderful night for Born in Time!

Going to see if Mrs. Llama happens to have an urge for me to pick up dinner in Bridgeview tonight....

The Llama has balls.

That's wonderful news! Congratulations.

Thank you ! Llamas first song was into the mystic , and it was a first for the nursing staff to see a record player in the room...I had self portrait sitting in front of the record pile and at first they thought I brought my own art.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 18:48 GMT 
Promethium Member

That's funny. When my son was born they had me get all gowned up while they got my wife ready and said they'd come and get me. We had brought a little boom box so we could listen to the radio but there was a commercial on so I hit the tape deck not knowing what was in there and that song came on. The sun was streaming through the windows. It was quite a moment.

Sorry about the blathering on review...I had a lot of energy when I got home.

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 22:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

into the mystic, at one's child's birth, the both of you, here to talk about it? what are the odds on that?

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 22:44 GMT 
Mercury Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
Thank you ! Llamas first song was into the mystic , and it was a first for the nursing staff to see a record player in the room...I had self portrait sitting in front of the record pile and at first they thought I brought my own art.

Many CONGRATS to you and Mrs. Llama!!!

PostPosted: Sun July 14th, 2013, 01:28 GMT 

A Merry Llama wrote:
bobschool wrote:

Miles Samson Llama

8)

Great name! Congratulations to you and the missus!

PostPosted: Sun July 14th, 2013, 02:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

A Merry Llama wrote:
bobschool wrote:

Miles Samson Llama
8)

Awww!...a new baby! Congratulations! :D

soon YOU'RE gonna be 'walking the floor' at all hours of the night :) 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWOG2X_3hWM

PostPosted: Sun July 14th, 2013, 21:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

Nice song choice! That one is waiting for us at home....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next