Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat December 16th, 2017, 18:52 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:59 GMT 

Whatever might have happened, it seems that Duke is indeed "finished in Bob's band" & that Charlie is back for now. Maybe someone else will come along for Europe or even during AmericanaramA!

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:00 GMT 

I'm not gonna go into the why or how? Except... That was fast!

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:04 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
more Duke:

I will make one small non -cryptic post hear to clear up any confusion or misinterpretation. I left the Bob Dylan tour of my own accord. All I can say is it wasn't for musical reasons and please don't ask any more. I enjoyed my brief stay there and had a lot of fun with the band playing Bob's music. I have great respect for him as an artist. I will miss everyone in the organization as they are all wonderful people. I wish them continued success and I will miss them all. Case closed!

I have great respect for him as an artist........

That about sums it up..

As a person.. maybe that is where the beef was..

Must have been some specific incident. If Duke had a beef with Bob as a person more generally, he could've quit after the spring tour. And let's not forget, just a day before the current tour, he posted 'Tomorrow we start the Americanarama tour. Kicks off in West Palm Beach FL. Gonna be big fun!' So it seems something major went down within the first few days of the tour.

May have been the on-stage 'dressing-down' in Tampa reported by some concert-goers - but if this was a rebuke for his playing, I'd imagine you'd file his quitting under 'musical differences,' i.e. 'for musical reasons.' He may have been bollocked for talking about the band in an interview, or for posting on facebook, but would that really be enough to make a guy quit the whole set-up if he was basically having fun playing the music? Was there an even more personal dimension?

In any case, if Duke really walked (and wasn't pushed) so early into a tour he was apparently looking forward to, with a band/repertoire pretty much as it had been in the spring, something pretty serious must have happened.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:10 GMT 
Mercury Member

shitjoy wrote:
Duke Robillard wrote:
I will make one small non -cryptic post hear to clear up any confusion or misinterpretation. I left the Bob Dylan tour of my own accord. All I can say is it wasn't for musical reasons and please don't ask any more. I enjoyed my brief stay there and had a lot of fun with the band playing Bob's music. I have great respect for him as an artist. I will miss everyone in the organization as they are all wonderful people. I wish them continued success and I will miss them all. Case closed!

I don't buy it.

Untrodden Path wrote:
Whatever happened, it appears Duke is seeking to remain above or outside discussion. Very respectful and professional and I appreciate that.

See, I don't think so. Duke is the one who put this out in the public and continues to talk about it, albeit cryptically.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:13 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Lisa -A good boss doesn't embarass you in front of others either.

Hi BABF, I'm with you on this. We both love Bob more than a lot of people can understand but I think we also know what he can be like. I wouldn't presume to know what went down with Duke, but I know the way Bob acts and some of the things he does, even to his fans, shows disrespect. So I would lean toward Bob showing disrespect for Duke as the reason for his departure. But again, he is Bob Dylan and I am helpless but to love him, warts and all. It's tough sometimes but I can't bring myself to give up on him. I think that if I was able to spend time on stage with him every other night, my actions might be something like Duke did. I'm sorry for Duke and I thought he was doing fine. Apparently Bob had another opinion and when it comes down to it, Bob does what he feels like, whether we like it or not. Bob makes it tough to remain a fan but we have to love him or leave him and leaving him is not an option for me. Miss you, sweety.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:20 GMT 

raging_glory wrote:
See, I don't think so. Duke is the one who put this out in the public and continues to talk about it, albeit cryptically.

Exactly. What he says does not make sense.

If he left on his own accord and the decision had nothing to do with music and he loves every (single) one at Dylan, Inc. what other reasons could it be?

Well, personal or medical reasons of course, a sick family member or some kind of ailment of Duke's part. However, would that cause him to sell his Dylan CDs?

As for quitting four days into a tour without it being an emergency - not sure if that's actually possible. If Charlie wouldn't have been available - would Dylan have carried on without a lead guitarist? Would he have hired a rookie an risked the shows being trainwrecks? Would he have cancelled shows or the whole tour and potentially lost lots of dollars? I'm pretty sure a musicians contract says that you can't quit on short notice.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:26 GMT 
Mercury Member

He would not have been without a guitar player as long as our own Untrodden Path walks the world :wink:

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:31 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:
I have great respect for him as an artist........

That about sums it up..

As a person.. maybe that is where the beef was..

Or as a boss.

That's my take.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:32 GMT 

goombay wrote:
now the timing of this thing and the fact that charlie was convinientely available,makes is not a musical move, Charlie probably called Bob and asked to come back since he was broke. :shock:
they probably gave Duke a payoff. if Charlie is in the band come next tour then i think this will be confirmed.
:o

Seriously? That would indicate that Charlie has a serious drug and/or gambling problem. You don't quit Bob's band on your own accord after three years and end up with no money left, six months later. If he needed the money, he would have stayed in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:47 GMT 

Wow, that video from April 6 shows why Bob could be pissed. Duke was really stealing the show from Bob on Thunder and on Highway 61 it sounds like everyone is playing something different. If this is the way it was the last couple of shows I can't blame Bob. Everyone knows it's hard to follow Bob when you play with him maybe Duke couldn't do it and Bob finally said enough. But I saw them after that show and thought it was great. Maybe things had changed.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 00:48 GMT 
Titanium Member

:shock:

you must know 0 'professional musicians.' i would say few, very few, are not always broke.

a pickup band playing to 4 of their girlfriends for free have creative and musical differences. :shock:
bob has had guitar players that knew but one lick (jackson) and others that ended the song while bob was still singing. and they kept on keeping on for many years. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:01 GMT 
Titanium Member

raging_glory wrote:

Untrodden Path wrote:
Whatever happened, it appears Duke is seeking to remain above or outside discussion. Very respectful and professional and I appreciate that.

The author George Packer recently made a point about Oprah Winfrey. That she's all for openness and honesty and creativity and being your real self and being authentic in the world - BUT if you want to be any part of Oprah's organization, you have to legally sign away your right to freedom of speech forever.

Assume Bob also has confidentiality agreements with everybody who works for him. "Albeit cryptically" is probably all that Duke can get away with.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:15 GMT 

I'm struck with how (directly) involved Duke is on his websites and facebook page. This practically giddy FB post came prior to the "Bob CDs for sale" stunt:

Quote:
Atlanta Tonight! I am patiently waiting for my next JW Murphy guitar which will be a 18" giant deluxe archtop with Claro Walnut sides and back like the early Epiphones and a cedar top, which is mostly used on flattops. This guitar should have a huge, warm sound and it will be beautiful. James guitars are masterpieces of sound and style and I am so anxious to play this one!

I find this not only extraordinarily unusual for one of Bob's band members , but wholly out of sync with the whole "feel" of Bob's crew and show. Duke is just too personable and accessible. I can understand how these characteristics come in handy when pursuing his "own" work (in fostering a relatively small, yet devoted fanbase). But Bob seems to like to surround himself with people who behave like he does: not much talk, just do your thing and move on. He just kinda blows in and out with the wind and expects the people on his payroll to follow suit.

Not to suggest this had anything to do with Duke leaving the band, of course. I just think it fits the larger picture of Duke not being a great fit for Bob.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:16 GMT 

Not sure why anyone thinks he should just passively, quietly accept an apparent public shaming by Dylan or let develop a narrative that he was fired, if he wasn't.

I've got no problem with him telling his version of events in a grown up way (and, I suppose, within the limits he may have accepted under non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements....sheesh).

Not going to endear him to Dylan or Dylan Inc. But, well, that doesn't seem like an issue at this point.

And, I like Sexton. From the old Austin days as well as the first Dylan stint. Love seeing him on stage...he's easy on the old eyes.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:19 GMT 

Posting "cryptic" messages on Facebook about your employer is unprofessional and stupid... Really did Duke think no one would notice? I'm looking forward to seeing the band next month, regardless of who will be in the band. I for one think Charlie brings a needed boost of energy when unleashed. :D

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:21 GMT 
Mercury Member

the_revelator wrote:
Assume Bob also has confidentiality agreements with everybody who works for him. "Albeit cryptically" is probably all that Duke can get away with.

Or maybe it is way more drama to do cryptically than it is to say that "our styles did not mesh, it is Bob's show, I left"

or maybe how about "went to the big show.... couldn't hang, went home."

Or maybe, "wasn't my thing, decided to quit"..... without the reference to "respect him as an artist" :roll:

Sometimes the truth is just way too simple.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:23 GMT 

goombay wrote:

you must know 0 'professional musicians.' i would say few, very few, are not always broke.

Quite the opposite really. Most of the professional, talented musicians I know have no financial trouble. Only the fakers calling themselves pros have.

Seriously, Bob's band is not a charity organization. He doesn't fire guitarists because (you think) Charlie can't handle money. That is not the reason for all of this.

Even IF it was, why was Charlie absent in WPB? Are you suggesting Charlie lost a lot of money this weekend, called Bob and got his job back within 24 hours? What would Bob be in that scenarios? A muppet?

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

rbgeorge wrote:
I'm struck with how (directly) involved Duke is on his websites and facebook page. This practically giddy FB post came prior to the "Bob CDs for sale" stunt:

Quote:
Atlanta Tonight! I am patiently waiting for my next JW Murphy guitar which will be a 18" giant deluxe archtop with Claro Walnut sides and back like the early Epiphones and a cedar top, which is mostly used on flattops. This guitar should have a huge, warm sound and it will be beautiful. James guitars are masterpieces of sound and style and I am so anxious to play this one!

I find this not only extraordinarily unusual for one of Bob's band members , but wholly out of sync with the whole "feel" of Bob's crew and show. Duke is just too personable and accessible. I can understand how these characteristics come in handy when pursuing his "own" work (in fostering a relatively small, yet devoted fanbase). But Bob seems to like to surround himself with people who behave like he does: not much talk, just do your thing and move on. He just kinda blows in and out with the wind and expects the people on his payroll to follow suit.

Not to suggest this had anything to do with Duke leaving the band, of course. I just think it fits the larger picture of Duke not being a great fit for Bob.

thats part of the agreement for getting the free guitars, you gotta promote them in facebook.
SOP :o and not only during down time and they many time demand you post photos of the guitar while being played onstage.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

AutodesSchreckens wrote:
goombay wrote:

Quite the opposite really. Most of the professional, talented musicians I know have no financial trouble. Only the fakers calling themselves pros have.

Seriously, Bob's band is not a charity organization. He doesn't fire guitarists because (you think) Charlie can't handle money. That is not the reason for all of this.

Even IF it was, why was Charlie absent in WPB? Are you suggesting Charlie lost a lot of money this weekend, called Bob and got his job back within 24 hours? What would Bob be in that scenarios? A muppet?

:roll:

i believe ive now heard it all. you must have missed the talented and professional charlie sexton down to his dollar when he got the phone call to join bobs band the first time, and that was when the record business still existed. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

ceptyou wrote:
Posting "cryptic" messages on Facebook about your employer is unprofessional and stupid... Really did Duke think no one would notice? I'm looking forward to seeing the band next month, regardless of who will be in the band. I for one think Charlie brings a needed boost of energy when unleashed. :D

by the time he posted the so called cryptic stuff he already had quit. :shock:
so i dont know how that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:29 GMT 
Mercury Member

From what I am hearing from friends and reading, I think Charlie was staying busy around Austin..... In that pond he is a big fish..... If anything I think it speaks well of the relationship between Bob and Charlie..... "hey Charlie, got a problem can you get on a plane?"...... "Sure, on my way..... guitars and suits and heading for the airport"......

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:32 GMT 

goombay wrote:
ceptyou wrote:

by the time he posted the so called cryptic stuff he already had quit. :shock:
so i dont know how that makes any difference.

Then why the cryptic message in the first place and why did he consequently remove it. This is reminiscent of junior high school behavior.

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

'staying busy around austin (or any other city)"= they kiss of death. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 01:45 GMT 
Mercury Member

goombay wrote:
'staying busy around austin (or any other city)"= they kiss of death. :shock:

There are some music cities that world comes to them ..... Austin, Memphis, New York City.... and I am sure some others.....

PostPosted: Thu July 4th, 2013, 02:10 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lily Rose wrote:
Or maybe it is way more drama to do cryptically than it is to say that "our styles did not mesh, it is Bob's show, I left"

or maybe how about "went to the big show.... couldn't hang, went home."

Or maybe, "wasn't my thing, decided to quit"..... without the reference to "respect him as an artist" :roll:

Sometimes the truth is just way too simple.

Many people who have worked with or had other experiences with the great, Buddha-like Bob Dylan have come away saying he's a complete asshole...enough people that we have to assume he's at the very least capable of acting like an asshole, whatever narrative about him being misunderstood we may construct to protect our own image of our hero. Duke was on for a whole tour to almost universal acclaim and was then brought back. If their styles did not mesh or he couldn't "hang" he would have been quietly replaced during the break. There was obviously some incident or action which so upset the avuncular guitar slinger that even the money, perks and prestige of playing with one of the most famous men in the world were not enough for him to stay. He'd rather do club dates than play stadiums with Bob Dylan, and I have to conclude that it took a LOT to make him feel that way (as common sense would dictate). As some wise person said earlier I really can't help but like Bob Dylan, and this won't change that, but I'm not going to twist myself into knots trying to pretend Duke had some musical shortcoming that only presented itself four shows into his second tour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 38  Next