Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Sat October 21st, 2017, 15:58 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:38 GMT 

Love the voice on She Belongs. Keep that up for Europe, Bob. If you do, I don't care if Dave Hill is your guitarist.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:43 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
Lisa -A good boss doesn't embarass you in front of others either.

I've seen him do the 'shaming' thing to various people in the band going back to 1999. It's bratty.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:53 GMT 

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
Dave Hill is your guitarist.

Sounds like a plan.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:17 GMT 
Titanium Member

patford wrote:
Dylan is the band leader and has a band sound in mind. The sound Dylan is looking for is one which does not promote the all too typical "B.B. King shit." People who are interested in Allman Brothers blues,or '70s guitar rock have plenty of outlets. There are probably four or five bars in any decent sized town where local bands indulge their forty year old fantasies of recreating the sound of Lou Reed's or David Bowie's awful '70s live albums.
When you see a fan mention Dylan's "three note solos" it's an indication that fan has no feel for what Dylan is doing. He isn't "soloing" he's playing rhythm with single notes rather than strummed chords. He's not looking to step out and play a solo, he's looking to create a groove, and that does not involve any of the players taking a solo.
I can't say what happened with Dylan and Duke. I thought they meshed extremely well in the Spring. The new tour leg hasn't yielded any decent audio, so I've no idea what happened to cause things to fall apart so fast. Dylan had always been a big supporter of Duke, recall that Duke was one of "Dylan's guys" brought in over the objections of Lanois on TOOM. I would have thought based on the Spring leg as well as Duke's age and experience he would have full understanding of his role. The idea a musician would feel restrained in Dylan's band would logically only apply to some young kid with bad taste who was trying to impress a cute girl in the front row. To play in the style Dylan is looking for would be more challenging and present more opportunity for nightly "in the moment" interplay as the musicians have to pay close attention and react to subtle shifts. What would be a lot easier would be to simply go up there and start recycling a bunch of pointless "guitar-god" licks. That would be the easy thing to do, not the interesting or challenging thing to do.

very very true.
now the timing of this thing and the fact that charlie was convinientely available,makes is not a musical move, Charlie probably called Bob and asked to come back since he was broke. :shock:
they probably gave Duke a payoff. if Charlie is in the band come next tour then i think this will be confirmed.
:o

everybody else in that band been in there for many many years despite bob being such a bad person. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:23 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
trevgibb wrote:

You're welcome...

And surely you must visit the ER front page everyday?

https://soundcloud.com/texasmusicmatter ... lans-phone

Great thanks a lot!!

You're welcome!!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:25 GMT 

steadyrollinman wrote:
They should've used Wilco's Nels Cline until the end of this tour. That guy rocks.

YES! That guys is superb. His licks on Impossible Germany.. Oh boy

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:48 GMT 

Joe:

Even if technology is there (which it isn't for producing an album remotely in good quality atlast) wouldnt that be a little too much and too less focussing on his primary commitment?

You're asking this of a guy who handles 400 clients & is expected to do 15 things at once all day without making mistakes. It would be 16 if only I could learn how to type with my feet.

If you say an album can't be produced from a remote location, I'll take your word for it. Like I said, I have no idea what goes into producing an album. I'm not a professional musician either. I have no idea what it's like to go on a big-time tour, how much down-time one has for side projects, whether side projects affect that night's performance.

I had wondered how touring with Dylan would mesh with Duke's career. Duke puts out one album a year, fronts 2 bands of his own, & also plays in Sunny Crownover's band. The last NET member with such a thriving solo career was Elana, & she only lasted one tour.
As I understand it, he has now unfortunately quit/been thrown out, which is a first in mid-tour since early 90ies I believe. That does tell quite a lot.

I predicted it would blow over & he would stay on, but I was wrong about that. I should stick to prognosticating about baseball & let the rest of you make predictions about Bob. Altho' the language in Duke's FB post about needing to "uncomplicate his life" tells me he up & quit on his own, so maybe I got one thing right when I said that Duke felt that he was posting about his ex-boss, not his boss. Personally, many times I've used "I need to uncomplicate my life" as a euphemism for "I don't need this bullshit any more." Maybe he shouldn't have posted that stuff. But for one moment, Duke represented that part of all of us who ever wanted to defy authority & speak up but felt he couldn't for economic reasons. Good for him.
An it was NOT the plan - on Dukes FB his wife worte "See you in 18 days" presumeably that she would join him when they got to Toronto.

No doubt about it. Duke's own web site said he was on tour with Bob thru Aug. 4. (It's since been removed from the tour page, but not Duke's home page.)
Overspeculating was mentioned earlier in this thread, which I could understand, eventhough Dukes openess has been very cryptic.
Talking about overspeculating, where does this leave the ER forum speculations about Charlie being pissed on the last tour in 2012 !??

Can't tell you. Never participated in that stuff & didn't follow the 2012 tour closely at all. Speaking of baseball, I've often said that being lead guitarist on the NET is like being a baseball manager---each gets too much credit when things go good & too much blame when things go bad. So from that standpoint, part of me is glad that Duke was part of a very good spring 2013 tour. To me, Duke will always own "Soon After Midnight," ""High Water," & "Tangled Up in Blue."

I'll doubt that I'll follow this tour & those to come very much. For now, I had 4 new CD's waiting for me in the mail when I got home today & I'll be enjoying those.

Thanks for your thoughts, BBZ, always a worthy sparring partner. :)

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:53 GMT 

DukeWatch latest!

This just in via facebook: "Like a Dylan song itself, it's not intended that you know, until I finish my book anyway. And that may be a long wait! But I'm working on it......"

A book. Hmmm. Not sure I like the sound of that. I'm all for cryptic comments and cheeky nudges here and there, but this does have an aura of 'for-profit tell-all' shenanigans.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 22:55 GMT 

goombay wrote:
now the timing of this thing and the fact that charlie was convinientely available,makes is not a musical move, Charlie probably called Bob and asked to come back since he was broke. :shock:
they probably gave Duke a payoff. if Charlie is in the band come next tour then i think this will be confirmed.
:o

That's an interesting take on this. I guess we'll see. For now, Charlie was the only logical last-minute replacement under the circumstances. He knows the material & played on Tempest.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:00 GMT 
Mercury Member

I like Duke.. Thought he was a great addition to the band. Charlie's always been my favorite but I'm really gonna miss Duke. Really glad that I got to see him with Dylan in the spring.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:05 GMT 

Location: ..right behind the living - just in front of the dead.
.. I Ching say Charlie.
= Duke of Hazzard. .. 8)

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:08 GMT 
Titanium Member

both are good but bob got a soft spot for Charlie more so than just about anybody. it Charlie was up to some extremely musical endeavor with even a medium expectation of sucess, he wouldnt be onstage. the man got that rock star soul in him from back in the day and when you gotta it never goes away.
:shock:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

shitjoy wrote:
I like Duke.. Thought he was a great addition to the band. Charlie's always been my favorite but I'm really gonna miss Duke. Really glad that I got to see him with Dylan in the spring.

same here. I miss Duke already. I like Charlie's playing, but the new direction was interesting as well.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:14 GMT 

That new version of She Belongs To Me is superb, the sustained bass and the drum beat are perfect. The first version I've heard that is anywhere close to as good as the original. About blummin' time Bob.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:15 GMT 

more Duke:

I will make one small non -cryptic post hear to clear up any confusion or misinterpretation. I left the Bob Dylan tour of my own accord. All I can say is it wasn't for musical reasons and please don't ask any more. I enjoyed my brief stay there and had a lot of fun with the band playing Bob's music. I have great respect for him as an artist. I will miss everyone in the organization as they are all wonderful people. I wish them continued success and I will miss them all. Case closed!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

most definitely not for musical reasons. bob has had all manner of mediocre guitar players that carried on for years. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:22 GMT 
Mercury Member

Duke Robillard wrote:
I will make one small non -cryptic post hear to clear up any confusion or misinterpretation. I left the Bob Dylan tour of my own accord. All I can say is it wasn't for musical reasons and please don't ask any more. I enjoyed my brief stay there and had a lot of fun with the band playing Bob's music. I have great respect for him as an artist. I will miss everyone in the organization as they are all wonderful people. I wish them continued success and I will miss them all. Case closed!

I don't buy it.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:26 GMT 

shitjoy wrote:
Duke Robillard wrote:

I don't buy it.

Why not? "I have great respect for him as an artist" says it all really.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
Why not? "I have great respect for him as an artist" says it all really.

The "All I can say is it wasn't for musical reasons" is what I'm not buying.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:31 GMT 
Titanium Member

who cares about musical reasons when there is moola involved, or Charlie involved. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:32 GMT 
Promethium Member

shitjoy wrote:
Duke Robillard wrote:

I don't buy it.

Whatever happened, it appears Duke is seeking to remain above or outside discussion. Very respectful and professional and I appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:33 GMT 

goombay wrote:
both are good but bob got a soft spot for Charlie more so than just about anybody. it Charlie was up to some extremely musical endeavor with even a medium expectation of sucess, he wouldnt be onstage. the man got that rock star soul in him from back in the day and when you gotta it never goes away.
:shock:

I wish we could 'like' posts. I like this one.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:35 GMT 

more Duke:

I have great respect for him as an artist........

That about sums it up..

As a person.. maybe that is where the beef was..

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:40 GMT 

SBTM sounds amazing. I'd love to hear what it sounded like with Duke, too.

What's with the stupid people who review Dylan? Geez...

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 23:54 GMT 
Mercury Member

shitjoy wrote:
Duke Robillard wrote:

I don't buy it.

Me either. This was just a way to take one last shot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 38  Next