Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Fri December 15th, 2017, 00:47 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 17:02 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
trevgibb wrote:

Given the recent Denny Freeman audio interview I'm not so sure he was.

a link to this ?

You're welcome...

And surely you must visit the ER front page everyday?

https://soundcloud.com/texasmusicmatter ... lans-phone

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 17:17 GMT 

trevgibb wrote:

You're welcome...

And surely you must visit the ER front page everyday?

https://soundcloud.com/texasmusicmatter ... lans-phone

Great thanks a lot!!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 17:19 GMT 

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 17:24 GMT 

the whoe program is here:

http://www.prx.org/pieces/91614-its-all ... onnections

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 18:05 GMT 

Location: By the waterfront docks, where the sailors all come in
More guitar soloing in that High Water than Charlie had the entire night in Boston in November '12.

I can live with this.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 18:41 GMT 

Mutabor wrote:
:lol:

t'was Victor I was laughing about... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 18:49 GMT 

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I'm not entirely shocked by this new change. Duke's an established act in his own right. He leads his own band (and fronted others) and he's an older, seasoned musician. He's wasn't gonna let himself be on the end of Bob's dirty looks in front of an audience. Totally understandable if you look at it from his point of view.

Still, I was really looking forward to seeing Duke again at the shows I'll be attending. Bummer....

I think I'll hold a sign up at the Saratoga show that says, DUKE!!!! :mrgreen:

Do it, Boston! I'm sad because I was looking forward to more from Duke too, but if he left because of being stifled, I do say respect to Duke. What drama!

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:02 GMT 

How many band leaders can there be? If dylan being band leader is stifling then that's the guitarists problem, but who knows, could be that Duke couldn't keep up. A good boss teaches new employees how to do good work, but I think a band leader is different.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:10 GMT 

Disappointing - I was looking forward to seeing / hearing Duke with the band. Guess that ship sailed now, sooner than expected.

Perhaps Paul James gets his shot now? Or maybe he pissed in that well after he talked in public about Bob's choice in picking Charlie over him last time around...

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:30 GMT 
Promethium Member

Lisa wrote:
How many band leaders can there be? If dylan being band leader is stifling then that's the guitarists problem, but who knows, could be that Duke couldn't keep up. A good boss teaches new employees how to do good work, but I think a band leader is different.

If he "couldn't keep up" he would have been dropped after the spring tour. This seems to be a different sort of falling out.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:30 GMT 
Titanium Member

BostonAreaBobFan wrote:
I think I'll hold a sign up at the Saratoga show that says, DUKE!!!! :mrgreen:
Watch it. You might get a mirror strategically placed on stage.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:36 GMT 

Long shot but could it also have anything to do with the published interview Duke gave recently? I know it was very complimentary but there was a bit more detail In there concerning musical changes Bob has gone for this year and I don't offhand recall current band members freely offering up a commentary like this while still on tour with him?

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:42 GMT 

Robillard"s playing with Dylan was not THAT exeptional and it was not a huge step forward for the band. Apparently he also did not mesh with the band. Plus he posted behind the scenes stuff from the tour on the internet and talked about the job in an interview with the tour still in progress. I am not the biggest Charlie fan, but given all of the above, I am glad Robbilard is out and Charlie is back in. What is Freddy doing at the moment?

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:44 GMT 

MrJudasPriest wrote:
Long shot but could it also have anything to do with the published interview Duke gave recently? I know it was very complimentary but there was a bit more detail In there concerning musical changes Bob has gone for this year and I don't offhand recall current band members freely offering up a commentary like this while still on tour with him?

My thoughts exactly.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 19:57 GMT 

They should've used Wilco's Nels Cline until the end of this tour. That guy rocks.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:16 GMT 

patford wrote:
Dylan is the band leader and has a band sound in mind. The sound Dylan is looking for is one which does not promote the all too typical "B.B. King shit." People who are interested in Allman Brothers blues,or '70s guitar rock have plenty of outlets. There are probably four or five bars in any decent sized town where local bands indulge their forty year old fantasies of recreating the sound of Lou Reed's or David Bowie's awful '70s live albums.
When you see a fan mention Dylan's "three note solos" it's an indication that fan has no feel for what Dylan is doing. He isn't "soloing" he's playing rhythm with single notes rather than strummed chords. He's not looking to step out and play a solo, he's looking to create a groove, and that does not involve any of the players taking a solo.
I can't say what happened with Dylan and Duke. I thought they meshed extremely well in the Spring. The new tour leg hasn't yielded any decent audio, so I've no idea what happened to cause things to fall apart so fast. Dylan had always been a big supporter of Duke, recall that Duke was one of "Dylan's guys" brought in over the objections of Lanois on TOOM. I would have thought based on the Spring leg as well as Duke's age and experience he would have full understanding of his role. The idea a musician would feel restrained in Dylan's band would logically only apply to some young kid with bad taste who was trying to impress a cute girl in the front row. To play in the style Dylan is looking for would be more challenging and present more opportunity for nightly "in the moment" interplay as the musicians have to pay close attention and react to subtle shifts. What would be a lot easier would be to simply go up there and start recycling a bunch of pointless "guitar-god" licks. That would be the easy thing to do, not the interesting or challenging thing to do.

Interesting post Pat even if I do disagree with pretty much everything you say! Dylan may well be trying to create a groove, but when you hear fans complaining about Dylan's three note solos it is because they sound horrendous. A lead guitar could do exactly the same, and at least hit the notes cleanly. Dylan's guitar tone is also awful, unless you like atonal noise.
Similarly anyone forced to play Dylan's, largely, three chord songs in a basic style would feel restricted. Robbie Robertson wasn't trying, 'to impress a cute girl in the front row', or at least I don't think he was but he was one of the best Dylan guitar players, and I'm pretty sure Dylan DID NOT tell him what to play.
The truth is Dylan, despite all his years of experience, does not know it all and would benefit from the musical input of others, if he ever allowed it.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:17 GMT 

DW -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTLv56J1kbQ

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:18 GMT 

SBTM - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAG8Ydl62K4

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:20 GMT 

band and dylan fantastic on SBTM btw:) great singing

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:41 GMT 

joshlobley wrote:

haven't followed the Duke drama too closely but this is unbelievably good and Bob seems happy here

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 20:50 GMT 

Forget Charlie/Duke - Bob's regular voice (meaning except for the annoying bark at the end of alternating lines) - sounds great. I mean, it really sounds like early 2000s. If static setlists means he carefully sings songs again, I'm for any guitarist.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:00 GMT 

jacethecrowl wrote:
joshlobley wrote:

haven't followed the Duke drama too closely but this is unbelievably good and Bob seems happy here

With Charlie, indeed he does. If you look at the other 6 videos - he looks just really happy and seems like he is having a good time there in Memphis.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:01 GMT 

Charlie sounds better than early 2000s on High Water from last night. Absolutely sick.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:08 GMT 
Mercury Member

Sphere wrote:
Charlie sounds better than early 2000s on High Water from last night. Absolutely sick.

Agreed. It's fabulous.

PostPosted: Wed July 3rd, 2013, 21:11 GMT 
Senior Moderator

Lisa -A good boss doesn't embarass you in front of others either.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 38  Next