Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Tue October 17th, 2017, 15:00 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:35 GMT 
Titanium Member

I am hoping this means Duke and Bob are stripping down the show to some sort of acoustic format, but I'm going to keep on dreaming.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 23:16 GMT 

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
Interesting catching up on the discussion.... Unprofessional to maintain an online "tour diary" with "behind-the-scenes" photos? Since when? If that's the case, there's a lotta unprofessional professional musicians out there. I don't do FB so I can't see Duke's tour diary, but I'm sure Duke has lawyers & knows what his contract allows him to do or not do. I'm equally sure that the diary entries are fluff pieces designed to generate interest in the tour & his subjects know they're being photographed with the possibility that they'll be on the internet. What type of scandalous material can Duke post about the tour? Has he told us that Bob doesn't floss at night or that Bob doesn't put the toilet seat down when he's done? Is he posting pictures of Stu in the bath tub with his rubber duckie?

To be sure, there's been unprofessionalism associated with the NET over its 25 years, but not from Duke. Try these on for size & guess the guilty party behind these actions:
> Leaving the NY '89 show in the middle of a song without telling the band. (Sure, I thought it was funny, too, but it's unprofessional.)
> (Alleged) drunkenness on stage at times during the early '90's.
> Letting J.J. Jackson show up for rehearsal only to find out he'd been replaced by Larry.
> Scolding band members while on stage. (It happened to Larry, Stu, now Duke...& others I'm sure.)
> Having Lukas Nelson & Charlie audition for Denny's job while they were on stage with Denny.

Any guesses?

Well, Its considered unprofessional to write cryptic messages about your boss in social media to an audience of approx 8000 fans. Most businesses have policies to prevent stuff like that getting overinterpreted/ out of hand, which is the case here. Nobody ever mentioned Dukes boss of being professional either, his way of handling stuff like this show that it might become an issue that he isnt!

Duke deleting the message does tell something too.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 23:40 GMT 

You might be right, my friend, but you might be wrong. At the time Duke wrote that stuff, he may have been under the impression that Bob was his ex-boss. You weren't there to know what was said on stage or after the show.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 23:41 GMT 

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Most businesses have policies to prevent stuff like that getting overinterpreted/ out of hand, which is the case here.

Which is exactly why I strongly dislike most modern businesses and why I would never work for one unless existentially forced to. It is the denial basic humanity and its emotions for an unrealistic 'squeaky clean' image which, personally, prompts me to avoid said business. I'd rather deal with people, as opposed to a marketing machine. Our lot can say whatever they want about us - I'd much rather have honesty and work on that as opposed to an authoritarian regime.

But that is besides the point - the Bob Dylan Band isn't a business. It's a rock 'n roll band. As such, there will be personalities and there with be clashes. I, for one, am glad that Bob did not surround himself with sycophantic apostles and that people voice their opinions. Regardless of one's power of genius, one always benefits from having opposition.

As for him making the comment public - so what? There are far worse conflicts out there. A tongue-in-cheek message on facebook is probably one of the most intellectual and, indeed, dull ones I have ever seen.

Duke deleting the message does tell something too.

What exactly? As far as I can see, it can mean absolutely anything. From regret through threat of lawsuit all the way to the removal of an inside joke because of unintended fan frenzy about a non-issue.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 00:03 GMT 

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
the Bob Dylan Band isn't a business. It's a rock 'n roll band.

I make my living working with businesses. Nobody should ever confuse a rock-n-roll band with a business. Businesses don't walk around in leopard skin tights & throw TV's from hotel windows.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 00:28 GMT 
Titanium Member

who said lumberjacks, they destroyed your city they'll destroy you as well

Cleansing the Temple

12And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.13And He said to them, “It is written, ‘MY HOUSE SHALL BE CALLED A HOUSE OF PRAYER’; but you are making it a ROBBERS’ DEN.”

14And the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them.15But when the chief priests and the scribes saw the wonderful things that He had done, and the children who were shouting in the temple, “Hosanna to the Son of David,” they became indignant16and said to Him, “Do You hear what these children are saying?” And Jesus said to them, “Yes; have you never read, ‘OUT OF THE MOUTH OF INFANTS AND NURSING BABIES YOU HAVE PREPARED PRAISE FOR YOURSELF’?”17And He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and spent the night there.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 01:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

"everyone is in a big rush to see who is the the biggest rat"

- myself circa 10 minutes ago. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 02:06 GMT 

Cipher_Pipe wrote:
. I, for one, am glad that Bob did not surround himself with sycophantic apostles and that people voice their opinions.

I kinda thought that was the problem for the last 8 or so years... Even Charlie bailed again.

Cheers, SLuggy

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 02:18 GMT 
Promethium Member

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
Nobody should ever confuse a rock-n-roll band with a business.

Umm, what planet do you live on?

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 02:45 GMT 

The "band" is a different thing than the "business." I work with businesses every day & have done it for nearly 30 years. How many businesses do you work with? Get a bunch of musicians in a room & try to interest them in business. You'll hold their attention for about 5 seconds. Believe me, I've tried it.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 03:01 GMT 
Promethium Member

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
The "band" is a different thing than the "business." I work with businesses every day & have done it for nearly 30 years. How many businesses do you work with? Get a bunch of musicians in a room & try to interest them in business. You'll hold their attention for about 5 seconds. Believe me, I've tried it.

OK, I'm with ya. The band themselves don't care, yes, that is typical. The management machine surrounding them does care though...i.e., Dylan, Inc., or AnyOtherBand, Inc.

I think we are saying the same thing Pittsburgh. My bad for misinterpreting.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 03:07 GMT 

I don't take any of this seriously. We're just talking about music & musicians. It's not like we're here inventing a cure for cancer or anything. We're cool. :)

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 03:11 GMT 
Promethium Member

P. Pittsburgh Joe wrote:
I don't take any of this seriously. We're just talking about music & musicians. It's not like we're here inventing a cure for cancer or anything. We're cool. :)

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 04:03 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Many of you poeple have a lot of fantasy .

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 04:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

Blue Midnight wrote:

My girlfriend Anne Hathaway just called you a goddamn liar

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 05:39 GMT 

that's so like anne...she has quite nice things to say about you though warren :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 07:13 GMT 

Well when working with a multi-millionaire celebrity who is VERY media-shy, who runs a very high profile bussinss (which it in fact is = musicbusiness ) it might cause problems being as honest and open as Duke is.

I like his open style and his playing for that matter (which can be seen in various posts, heck I've even bought tickets for 6 shows in hope of seeing this constellation).

Anyhow you wanna keep your job in this type of landscape, you might wanna think twice about what you post in public when it comes to referencing your boss or work. Black humor towards the guy paying you wage might be okay in private (being frustrated etc etc)- just not in public. Otherwise the next thing you know TMZ will be on the case.

I work in corporate business myself, and eventhough I dont like the policies, there a certain rules to be followed and things you just do not do, , even if I would be dissapointed etc. The same do apply to celebrities, roadies, tour busdrivers and sportsstars and so on. Its called protecting the business. Trust me companies are freaking out big time about these things.

Duke deleting the message shows that he regretted putting it out in the first place for what ever the reason. It just was a bad idea to begin with. But it does already mean he has about 100 people interpreting on his own fb wall about his latest post. Which seem to be about him selling a lot of guitars and stuff, but with some folks thinking is a answers to the deleted post.

He as much as anybody should be aware that Dylans evil web-sheriff might be looking him over the shoulder on this and sending him out of work if this continues. :evil:

But lets hope it won't be the case.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 10:20 GMT 
Titanium Member

"I can see the day coming when even your home garden is gonna be against the law." - Bob Dylan, "Union Sundown", 1982

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 11:04 GMT 
Promethium Member

Not intending to start band rumours, but Duke posted this strange message on his facebook "For sale Bob Dylan CD and record collection for sale slightly used." What does that mean !?

Woo!!! Hoo!!!

It means Bob and His Band went into the studio during the break and re-recorded everything from the '60s!

Praise God Almighty! My prayers have been answered! :D

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 11:15 GMT 
Promethium Member

tom thumb wrote:
summerteeth wrote:
I was standing dead center, 15 feet from the stage, and to me it appeared that Bob was upset several times during the show. There is no doubt that Duke played over his harmonica parts -- they were totally out of sync all night. And something that nobody has mentioned so far, during a long, long, interlude during Summer Days, Bob just plinked on the piano, while Duke played little guitar fills. I kept imagining that if Bob gave Charlie or Freddie that much space, either one of them would have ripped a great solo. Actually, it has been several years since I have seen Bob give ANY guitarist that much space, yet Duke did nothing with it. It was after this song that Bob walked up to him, back to the audience, and started gesturing with his arms. Who knows what he said, but it was more than just a couple of lines (20-30 seconds or so). That was when I turned to my wife and said "Bob is pissed!"

Exactly. summerteeth, I was possibly standing next to you b/c that's where I was too, but maybe even a little closer. I could see every expression on their faces. Something was goin' down! Did you notice how loudly Bob would plunk a piano key or blow hard on the harp after "Simple Twist Of Fate" - as if to make it clear who was taking the next solo?

Reading Dylan and knowing your place isn't an exact science... I saw the Denny & Stu line up after they'd been touring about two or three months and Dylan would look up from the keyboard awaiting a solo and Denny and Stu frequently looked at one another like "Who's he looking at?" Both were tentative about it. The show was a VERY good show but reading the obscure signals and reading his mind cannot be easy. There are times when I'm not sure even he knows what he wants from his guitarists...

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 13:25 GMT 
Titanium Member

Does anyone know how much BD pays his players?

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 13:46 GMT 
Promethium Member

Men get free autographed harmonicas which they can sell at market value. Ladies get cocaine.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 14:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

I think this facebook post and the resulting controversy was a simple gesture on Duke's part as an effort to draw media attention away from the Joni Mitchell thread. They are facebook friends.

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 15:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

they chirp and they chatter, you know the rest of the line kids

PostPosted: Tue July 2nd, 2013, 16:49 GMT 

Location: A long the levy , where the geese into the countryside have flown
Warren Peace wrote:
Blue Midnight wrote:

My girlfriend Anne Hathaway just called you a goddamn liar

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 38  Next