Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu October 19th, 2017, 08:45 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 09:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

brilliant brilliant

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 09:43 GMT 

ragman99 wrote:
Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Not intending to start band rumours, but Duke posted this strange message on his facebook "For sale Bob Dylan CD and record collection for sale slightly used." What does that mean !?

Maybe it means he has learned them.

Well it could mean anything couldn't it?

Either way its a really strange message. Especially considering how closed the Bob Dylan camp is regarding internal stuff.
Im sure they are not gonna be happy about Duke's "tour dairies" once they realize they exist. Not even with the positive updates regarding working with "his new boss".

I hope The Duke will stay and there are no issues. But Bob is clearly difficult to work with and honestly mentioning him and posting backstage photos etc in FB updates comes off very unprofessional.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 10:55 GMT 

Im sure they are not gonna be happy about Duke's "tour dairies" once they realize they exist. Not even with the positive updates regarding working with "his new boss".

I hope The Duke will stay and there are no issues. But Bob is clearly difficult to work with and honestly mentioning him and posting backstage photos etc in FB updates comes off very unprofessional.

Tour diaries? Where can one find those?

I wouldn't say it's unprofessional - it is human and it is standard online interaction with his fans. I guess he isn't used to the shrouded mysteriousness of the Bob Dylan Band and we, in return, aren't used to getting anything from behind the curtain.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 11:11 GMT 

Spreading doubt by mentioning your boss in strange messages in a public forum is NOT professional.

Most bigger companies do actually have policies for stuff like that.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 11:18 GMT 

Spreading doubt in a public forum is NOT professional.

We don't even know what it meant - it could have been an internal joke played with Dylan or someone else. Seriously, the chap posted something about selling used records and all of a sudden there is a CNN-esque 'DukeWatch' with breaking news akin to "We have just received reports that some people and scientists have interpreted one of Duke Robillard's expressions as 'laboured' and that Bob Dylan hasn't looked at him at all during High Water - stay tuned for the latest news about Duke's snub of Dylan meltdown-aganza".

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 11:34 GMT 
Promethium Member

DukeWatch!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 12:12 GMT 

tom thumb wrote:
summerteeth wrote:
I was standing dead center, 15 feet from the stage, and to me it appeared that Bob was upset several times during the show. There is no doubt that Duke played over his harmonica parts -- they were totally out of sync all night. And something that nobody has mentioned so far, during a long, long, interlude during Summer Days, Bob just plinked on the piano, while Duke played little guitar fills. I kept imagining that if Bob gave Charlie or Freddie that much space, either one of them would have ripped a great solo. Actually, it has been several years since I have seen Bob give ANY guitarist that much space, yet Duke did nothing with it. It was after this song that Bob walked up to him, back to the audience, and started gesturing with his arms. Who knows what he said, but it was more than just a couple of lines (20-30 seconds or so). That was when I turned to my wife and said "Bob is pissed!"

Exactly. summerteeth, I was possibly standing next to you b/c that's where I was too, but maybe even a little closer. I could see every expression on their faces. Something was goin' down! Did you notice how loudly Bob would plunk a piano key or blow hard on the harp after "Simple Twist Of Fate" - as if to make it clear who was taking the next solo?

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 13:16 GMT 

Personally, I like my lead guitar players rotund and I like my lead singers grumpy.

I have enjoyed the "evolution" or "progress" of Dylan's sound in the last tour and I'm really looking forward to standing front 'n center Friday night to hear it again.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 14:10 GMT 
Titanium Member

Spreading doubt by mentioning your boss in strange messages in a public forum is NOT professional.

Most bigger companies do actually have policies for stuff like that.

I hope this blows over and Duke sticks around for awhile.
I like what he brings to the music. That said, he has to learn
to keep a lower profile. It is the Dylan way, if you are going to work
for the man, you got to play by his rules.
Bob's way has always been, no talking out of class. No exceptions.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 15:10 GMT 

http://www.examiner.com/article/america ... book-posts

"I'll be sellings lots of guitars soon.."

Hmm.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 15:15 GMT 

He did NOT unfriend him...but their relationship status was changed to "it's complicated". :lol:

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 15:32 GMT 

My first reaction was he'd been fired or quit. Since he is still with the band, I'm now more inclined to believe it was a joke.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 17:14 GMT 

it was a pop at the same old set lists.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 18:09 GMT 
Titanium Member

Would someone like Duke, who's been doing this so long, really have bought a huge amount of new amps/guitars just to tour with Dylan? I'm not asking completely rhetorically, maybe he did, but it seems like Duke would have been well prepared in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 18:18 GMT 
Titanium Member

unclejohn wrote:
Bob just sent a friend request to Jon Jackson........

:lol:

You All are too funny :)

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 18:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

This is the same debate we had last Autumn; only it was Charlie then.

The only difference is we get 'Tempest' songs now :)

In the end, after this tour, nothing will happen and Duke will be with us in Europe.

Bob's not playing Guitar because his back and eyes; nothing to do with hands.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 19:27 GMT 
Titanium Member

shooting_star_night wrote:

I haven't heard that one before. How would either of those inhibit him? As far as back issues go, sitting on a piano bench isn't a whole lot different than standing, and he does plenty of standing anyway.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 19:52 GMT 
Titanium Member

Warren Peace wrote:
shooting_star_night wrote:

I haven't heard that one before. How would either of those inhibit him? As far as back issues go, sitting on a piano bench isn't a whole lot different than standing, and he does plenty of standing anyway.

Because a guitar has weight that puts stress on your back, neck and shoulders. I saw Bob unable to take off his harmonica rack during a show in 2004. He had someone do it for him because he couldn't do it himself that particular night. A disappointing show because for whatever reason he was off his game. The show he played the following night was one of the best Dylan concerts I've ever seen. All of the physical stuff is a mystery to us and I guess is supposed to be.

Duke Robillard tweeting from behind the Iron Curtain.........

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 20:11 GMT 

New interview with Duke (with Dylan content)

http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2 ... rview.aspx

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 21:27 GMT 
Senior Moderator

My take on the Duke FB messages are that the first one - about selling BD CDs, etc, slightly used -ouch, was posted Sun @ 230a - close after Saturday's show. I figure Bob didn't like what happened during that show, and told Duke off and, maybe even said he was going to replace him. About 8 hrs later, I think it was, when what had gone on had set in some more, Duke posted he was going to sell his amps, etc.

When I saw him & his band in Cambridge, in May, Duke said something about his financial affairs being a mess. After hearing that, my husband figured that was why Duke had accepted the Bob gig - for the money. Why would he otherwise? Not too many people of any age want to tour like Bob does. Duke leads two bands, & records w them. I think it sounds like a pretty perfect life Duke leads.

Interesting to note, first FB message is now gone- didn't think Bob's people would let that stand. Guess either Duke didn't get the "mum's the word" on all things Bob, or he was so mad he didn't care.

I think wanting to sell his guitars and amps is more proof of his financial bind.

Hope this all turns out to be a hissy fit, and will be resolved. I love Duke's playing w Bob & the band - but it just can't work to have two people who think they are in charge of what's happening w the music- especially when one is Bob Dylan & it's his show!

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:12 GMT 

patford wrote:
My first reaction was he'd been fired or quit. Since he is still with the band, I'm now more inclined to believe it was a joke.

I think that, too. Just a bit of black humor. After all, Duke is a bluesman at heart.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:13 GMT 

consolvo wrote:
He did NOT unfriend him...but their relationship status was changed to "it's complicated". :lol:

:lol: You gotta post more often than once every 2-3 years!

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:26 GMT 
Titanium Member

richard prince - again at work

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:28 GMT 
Mercury Member

Ok, this whole thing was about this question: Do Bob Dylan fans pay attention to the web pages of Bob's band members..... ???? Had to be Duke.... nobody would believe it out of anyone else in the band, so it had to be Duke that posted something to see if anyone noticed..... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ok, question answered, it was noticed..... now can we get back to important stuff.... you know like Bob's boots.... either bootlegs or cowboy boots...... instead of who might be getting the boot..... :roll:

Actually, this has been rather amusing.... especially that comment about Duke down in the lobby selling used CD's :P

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 22:34 GMT 

Interesting catching up on the discussion.... Unprofessional to maintain an online "tour diary" with "behind-the-scenes" photos? Since when? If that's the case, there's a lotta unprofessional professional musicians out there. I don't do FB so I can't see Duke's tour diary, but I'm sure Duke has lawyers & knows what his contract allows him to do or not do. I'm equally sure that the diary entries are fluff pieces designed to generate interest in the tour & his subjects know they're being photographed with the possibility that they'll be on the internet. What type of scandalous material can Duke post about the tour? Has he told us that Bob doesn't floss at night or that Bob doesn't put the toilet seat down when he's done? Is he posting pictures of Stu in the bath tub with his rubber duckie?

To be sure, there's been unprofessionalism associated with the NET over its 25 years, but not from Duke. Try these on for size & guess the guilty party behind these actions:
> Leaving the NY '89 show in the middle of a song without telling the band. (Sure, I thought it was funny, too, but it's unprofessional.)
> (Alleged) drunkenness on stage at times during the early '90's.
> Letting J.J. Jackson show up for rehearsal only to find out he'd been replaced by Larry.
> Scolding band members while on stage. (It happened to Larry, Stu, now Duke...& others I'm sure.)
> Having Lukas Nelson & Charlie audition for Denny's job while they were on stage with Denny.

Any guesses?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 38  Next