Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 04:30 GMT

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next
PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 19:38 GMT 

tom thumb wrote:
Freddy Koella, where art thou?

BTW, I may be in the minority but I was not impressed with Duke's guitar playing last night - at all. It felt clunky and more pedestrian than I was expecting - not fluid, to my ears anyway.

And, I did think Bob overreacted a bit to Duke stepping on his toes in "Simple Twist Of Fate." I think the problem is that Bob's vocal powers are so diminished - and he plays no guitar, and plunks on piano these days - that he feels like any intrusion into a song's flow (overlapping solos, interruptions, etc) makes him look foolish. In other words, I think it's Bob's "live performance insecurity" at the moment that's the issue more than Duke's mistakes.

Easy for me to say though... even if Bob is feeling a bit insecure in his live performance powers these days, it's all better than I could do. He's still the man and I'm a fan!

This might just be the kick in the backside Bob needs to rethink playing only keyboards and harp these days. From recent photos and concerts where I've had a pretty good view, I don't see a lot of arthritic disfigurement in his fingers and joints so I don't buy that as the reason he's not playing guitar. Never have. Given his vocal limitations, a softer sound is definitely better with a more acoustic feel the better IMHO. I think this would lessen his performance insecurity a bit.

I'll be at the Nashville show tonight and will give a report of this evening's festivities if anything of note occurs. It could be a bumpy ride, for sure. But then, Nashville is a town full of great musicians and with Donnie being a local -- and having an impressive rolodex of musician friends upon whom he can call -- and Bob having former band mates and friends here, it could turn out to be the pivotal show of 2013.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 19:53 GMT 
Promethium Member

The arthritis thing has never been confirmed by Dylan's camp, it's just been repeated so often people think it's true.

He should play solo tonight, that'll show 'em.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:11 GMT 
Mercury Member

I laughed out loud reading "slightly used" to describe his Dylan collection.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:24 GMT 

It's plain as day. Bob has found Dukes password for FB. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:32 GMT 

I was standing dead center, 15 feet from the stage, and to me it appeared that Bob was upset several times during the show. There is no doubt that Duke played over his harmonica parts -- they were totally out of sync all night. And something that nobody has mentioned so far, during a long, long, interlude during Summer Days, Bob just plinked on the piano, while Duke played little guitar fills. I kept imagining that if Bob gave Charlie or Freddie that much space, either one of them would have ripped a great solo. Actually, it has been several years since I have seen Bob give ANY guitarist that much space, yet Duke did nothing with it. It was after this song that Bob walked up to him, back to the audience, and started gesturing with his arms. Who knows what he said, but it was more than just a couple of lines (20-30 seconds or so). That was when I turned to my wife and said "Bob is pissed!"

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:37 GMT 

summerteeth wrote:
I was standing dead center, 15 feet from the stage, and to me it appeared that Bob was upset several times during the show. There is no doubt that Duke played over his harmonica parts -- they were totally out of sync all night. And something that nobody has mentioned so far, during a long, long, interlude during Summer Days, Bob just plinked on the piano, while Duke played little guitar fills. I kept imagining that if Bob gave Charlie or Freddie that much space, either one of them would have ripped a great solo. Actually, it has been several years since I have seen Bob give ANY guitarist that much space, yet Duke did nothing with it. It was after this song that Bob walked up to him, back to the audience, and started gesturing with his arms. Who knows what he said, but it was more than just a couple of lines (20-30 seconds or so). That was when I turned to my wife and said "Bob is pissed!"

Exactly. summerteeth, I was possibly standing next to you b/c that's where I was too, but maybe even a little closer. I could see every expression on their faces. Something was goin' down! Did you notice how loudly Bob would plunk a piano key or blow hard on the harp after "Simple Twist Of Fate" - as if to make it clear who was taking the next solo?

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:43 GMT 

Based on the FB posts by Duke I'd be stunned in he showed up on stage with Dylan tonight. Surprising to me this fell apart, as I thought they meshed very well the first leg.
The thing about Dylan is he has a style of playing he likes and it does not include aimless flash. I didn't see any of that during the first leg. I have heard very little audio from the start of the second leg over the past week. And there has been no good audio, so it's impossible to judge what's going on.
It's always noticeable to me that when there are no high quality audios circulating the usual hyenas come out. The first leg there was a very good concert recording on Sound Cloud within days of the first couple shows, and that basically shut up the nay-sayers. It is vaguely amusing to hear the usual cries of "his voice is shot" That will all change very quickly when nice recordings show up.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:47 GMT 

patford wrote:
It is vaguely amusing to hear the usual cries of "his voice is shot" That will all change very quickly when nice recordings show up.

Ah, so his voice is actually in great shape, it's just the recordings that are shot, right? ;-)

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:49 GMT 

There's precedent for changes in personnel mid-tour. Just ask Kenny Aronson. If indeed it's over between Bob & Duke, the NET will go on & Duke's career will survive.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:58 GMT 

Kenny Aaronson left for medical reasons. Has any band member had a public fight like this before, mid-tour, that caused them to leave?

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 20:59 GMT 
Titanium Member

shitjoy wrote:

Based on how these things usually shake out, I take it as a euphemism for "scratched to shit"

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 21:06 GMT 

Elana James left mid tour under suspect circumstances.

Added value show in Nashville tonight. Huzzah!

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 21:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

Warren Peace wrote:
shitjoy wrote:

Based on how these things usually shake out, I take it as a euphemism for "scratched to shit"

Haha.. I didn't even consider it that way. I thought it was a mild put-down, like "I only listened to it once or twice, it wasn't good enough for any further use."

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 21:25 GMT 

Quote:
Exactly. summerteeth, I was possibly standing next to you b/c that's where I was too, but maybe even a little closer. I could see every expression on their faces. Something was goin' down! Did you notice how loudly Bob would plunk a piano key or blow hard on the harp after "Simple Twist Of Fate" - as if to make it clear who was taking the next solo?

I also noticed something askew during the start/stop portion just before the ending of Blind Willie McTell. At that point Bob turned to face Tony, George and Duke, raising his arms, shrugging his shoulders, almost as if he was asking "what the hell are you doing?!!!

Donnie and Stu are were too far to each side and too far forward, so it was either at Duke specifically, or to the bedrock of Tony & George who most certainly know every Bob twitch by now. Considering what happened later with Simple Twist of Fate and Summer Days, I'm going with the latter.

PostPosted: Sun June 30th, 2013, 21:38 GMT 

Senor23 wrote:
Kenny Aaronson left for medical reasons. Has any band member had a public fight like this before, mid-tour, that caused them to leave?
Yeah, but I recall reading it was an ugly parting. Aronson was hoping that his job would be waiting for him when he returned, but I guess Bob isn't FMLA-compliant. If I'm wrong, somebody will correct me. Meanwhile, I think you're right, nobody has left the NET after a public fight. If indeed Duke has left.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 00:02 GMT 

Great. That makes the tickets worth a good deal less. I was looking forward to hearing Duke do his thing, maybe even bring form to formlessness.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 00:09 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:

If Elana had stayed for the reminder of the 2005 and then the 2006 tour.. how great wouldn't that have sounded?

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 00:16 GMT 

rbgeorge wrote:

But she obviously maintained a good relationship with Dylan, as she was the opening act for the 2006 ball park tour.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 00:21 GMT 
Titanium Member

Viktor123 wrote:
rbgeorge wrote:

If Elana had stayed for the reminder of the 2005 and then the 2006 tour.. how great wouldn't that have sounded?

And looked....... :mrgreen: Hubba hubba.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 00:51 GMT 

I know little about Duke but I bet he doesn't put up with much BS.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 03:58 GMT 
Promethium Member

arabia wrote:
I know little about Duke but I bet he doesn't put up with much BS.

A quick study too.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 04:36 GMT 
Titanium Member

I wish them all a healthy day of rest and recovery tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 05:39 GMT 
Titanium Member

Blind Boy Zimmerman wrote:
Not intending to start band rumours, but Duke posted this strange message on his facebook "For sale Bob Dylan CD and record collection for sale slightly used." What does that mean !?

Maybe it means he has learned them.

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 06:56 GMT 

So the Duke was not pissed about Bob nicking his fb password and putting his record collection and equipment up for sale? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon July 1st, 2013, 08:14 GMT 

Giada wrote:
unclejohn wrote:
Duke just unfriended Bob on fb.....

seriously?

lol :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 940 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next