Expecting Rain

Go to main page
It is currently Thu December 14th, 2017, 15:22 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: Theme Time Memories
PostPosted: Sat June 8th, 2013, 16:04 GMT 

I seem to have arrived at the Theme Time party a little late in the day - but at least the light is still on.

I recently emerged from a period of life during which I felt like I was continually being beaten with a big stick, during this time I did have one bit of relief - discovering "Theme Time'. This curious little show soon became a reliable escape for me - a salve for a bruised soul. It always left me feeling optimistic about what mysteries and delights the next episode would bring.

One evening a lightning bolt from my past visited in the form of 'Hallelujah, I'm a bum' something that I remembered my late mother singing the chorus of to me as a small child. I hadn't ever considered this as being an actual song over the decades, never once having heard it played anywhere since. I had lived my life thinking it had been made up by my mother, daft as she was.

This experience has led me to wonder if anyone else has had a jolt of memory from one of the tunes played, a connection to a time, place or event in their past.

:)

Post subject: Re: Theme Time Memories
PostPosted: Sat June 8th, 2013, 19:45 GMT 

Welcome to the party :wink:

PostPosted: Sat June 8th, 2013, 22:14 GMT 
Mercury Member

Welcome, willie wit! Nice story :)

PostPosted: Sat July 13th, 2013, 22:27 GMT 

Hey there, willie wit! I like your post here! ....aww, that's so sweet how you heard "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum" when you were young and your mother sang it to you. (I remember how my mother often sang "Kumbaya" to me when I was young; and both my parents used to sing "You Are My Sunshine" to me when I was a child, so it was really cool to hear that song featured on the "Weather" edition of TTRH...to get to hear Louisiana Governor Jimmie Davis' original recording of it was a real treat...through all my years of being familiar with that song, "You Are My Sunshine", I never had the slightest idea that it was written by a Governor!..not til' I heard it from Bob on TTRH...great information about the music as always, awesome stories- just love it! (Man, why can't our politicians write songs these days? I say that oughta be a prerequisite for politicians: songwriting/musical/artistic ability, lol.....)

*There's something that I find very interesting about your memory, willie wit- and it's about Harry 'Haywire Mac' McClintock (who of course sang "'Hallelujah, I'm a Bum") and his other song that was played on Theme Time. Harry McClintock also sang "Big Rock Candy Mountain", which was featured on the "Sugar and Candy" episode of TTRH. I listened to that show recently; if you hear that part of the show before Bob plays that record, he talks with a caller named "Candy" who said that she had heard that song when she was young!! (this reminds me of your story, willie!!.....very cool, seems like one of those 'synchronicities', those 'cosmic radio/musical moments- neat!). Check out that "Sugar and Candy" show, if you haven't already--I think you'll enjoy that bit about Harry McClintock and "Candy's" memory.

I have one other TTRH memory I'd like to share- it's about June Christy's awesome record, "Something Cool". About eight to ten years ago, I was fumbling around with the AM/FM radio dial on my bedside radio, just absent-mindedly searching for something to listen to. I was bored cause' I couldn't seem to fall asleep that night- I think it was in the middle of summer, and the hot temperature was making it too difficult for me to snooze. It was very, very late at night, or perhaps it was during the wee hours of the morning- anywhere from 12 midnight to 3 AM I'm guessing. Way back then, I wasn't so much into music - as I hadn't yet discovered the joy of amazing music! Back then, I hardly knew anything about jazz, blues, gospel, folk, rock n' roll, R&B, Soul, rockabilly-- zip, nada, zilch. But the radio station I had hit that night was a local jazz station, and they were playing an amazing record- it was unlike anything I had ever heard before- it featured a great female vocalist singing about "Something Cool" but I didn't know that was really the title of the song; I also didn't catch the name of the incredible singer, back then. But that mysterious, memorable, atmospheric song stayed with me for a long time, it just swam around in the back of my mind....but THEN, quite a few years later, like sometime in 2011, I heard the episode of Theme Time about "Something", where Bob played June Christy's record, "Something Cool". When I heard that record on TTRH, I exclaimed out loud, something like, "Oh my goodness! So this is that one song I heard, long ago, in the middle of a hot summer night! Wow, great! Now I finally know the title of the song and the name of the singer, after all this time! Awesome!!!".
~It's Really cool, isn't it? how some songs can be like boomerangs that come back and hit your ears again, after years of not hearing them....Yep, willie, for me this was certainly an instance of having a "jolt of memory from one of the tunes played"-indeed (love how you phrased that, by the way- so cool!).

Happy listening, everyone! 8)