It is currently Fri October 20th, 2017, 15:54 GMT

All times are UTC

Post subject: John Elderfield book?
PostPosted: Fri May 17th, 2013, 17:10 GMT 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-Chara ... =Bob+Dylan

Anyone know anything about it?

PostPosted: Sun May 19th, 2013, 23:58 GMT 
Titanium Member

great catch phaedra, exciting, hope it is of sketchy characters!

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2013, 18:41 GMT 
Titanium Member

JP noticed that it's being published by the National Portrait Gallery and thinks that maybe there'll be a Dylan exhibition in London sometime soon. But who knows, definitely sounds interesting though.

PostPosted: Mon May 20th, 2013, 19:11 GMT 

I've checked the websites of both the British and US National Portrait Galleries and neither mentions anything Dylan-related coming up...curiouser and curiouser.

PostPosted: Wed May 22nd, 2013, 06:43 GMT 

The price of the book has gone up today - glad I already ordered it!

PostPosted: Sat May 25th, 2013, 21:16 GMT 

http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Dylan-Value-J ... =Bob+Dylan

And now the title's changed, at least on amazon.com.

PostPosted: Mon May 27th, 2013, 01:06 GMT 
Titanium Member

phaedra, stay on the case, thanks! real exciting

wild new name, i don't know why it makes me laugh, but it does, sexy non sequitur -so bob

value - deep concept, funnily enough i was just arguing with myself in the car home about it,
how it controls the world, is it intrinsic or extrinsic, like where is the seat of one's soul anyhow

bob the brute https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brute_fact

PostPosted: Tue May 28th, 2013, 23:32 GMT 
Titanium Member

phaedra, now on the amazon page
-------------

Book Description
Publication Date: September 2, 2013

"Bob Dylan is one of America's most influential and important cultural figures. With over 500 songs, 46 albums and an astonishing 110 million record sales to his name, Dylan, now in his early seventies, is turning increasingly to another mode of artistic expression; one that has occupied him throughout his life, but for which he is much less well known. Although Dylan has sketched and drawn since childhood and painted since the late 1960s, only relatively recently has he begun to exhibit his artworks. The twelve works collected in this beautifully produced volume represent his latest foray into portraiture. In an illuminating essay and a rare interview with Bob Dylan, curator and art historian John Elderfield explores the story behind these works and Dylan's approach to his art. Previously, Elderfield has acknowledged that while it may be unsettling when an artist does not adhere to the thing for which we have come to admire him most, Dylan has often asked his audience to get over the discomfort of his changing: 'And don't speak too soon / For the wheel's still in spin - ' For Elderfield, Dylan's paintings, like his songs, are 'products of the same extraordinary, inventive imagination, the same mind and eye, by the same story-telling artist, for whom showing and telling - the temporal and the spatial, the verbal and the visual - are not easily separated.'"

About the Author

"John Elderfield studied Fine Art at Leeds University and Art History at the Courtauld Institute. He is Chief Curator Emeritus of Painting and Sculpture at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, where he has organised numerous exhibitions over the past thirty years, ranging from Manet and the Execution of Maximilian and Henri Matisse: Radical Invention, 1913 - 17, to major retrospectives devoted to Kurt Schwitters, Pierre Bonnard and Willem de Kooning. His books include The Language of the Body: Drawings by Pierre-Paul Prud'hon, and his essay 'Across the Borderline' was published in the catalogue for Dylan's The Brazil Series."

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1855144808?tag ... amp=211189

PostPosted: Tue May 28th, 2013, 23:53 GMT 
Mercury Member

thanks, bobschool. really looking forward to this.

PostPosted: Wed May 29th, 2013, 17:58 GMT 

Great stuff for those of us that love his artwork!

PostPosted: Wed May 29th, 2013, 18:04 GMT 

Interestingly, the amazon.com and amazon.co.uk blurbs are different, the .co.uk site mentioning "British" types/portraits (?!). The pre-publication price of the book in British pounds has increased twice in the last week - now £25 (initially, £16) and more than the US $21. And the two sites still show different titles for the book, tho' that will change I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed May 29th, 2013, 18:47 GMT 
Titanium Member

phaedra, hahaha - like these?

i was just starting to reread this last night so weird - every tour break it calls to me again, so funny
"The Diary of a Nobody" - George and Weedon Grossmith
http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/g/grossmi ... plete.html

Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Peter Cook & Dudley Moore (In the pub) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvQq_tqB0jA

PostPosted: Sat June 1st, 2013, 14:30 GMT 

bobschool wrote:
phaedra, now on the amazon page

Book Description
Publication Date: September 2, 2013

"... The twelve works collected in this beautifully produced volume represent his latest foray into portraiture. In an illuminating essay and a rare interview with Bob Dylan, curator and art historian John Elderfield explores the story behind these works and Dylan's approach to his art. '''

That's a really interesting link! This morning was the first time I looked on Amazon to see what you were discussing, and in addtion to the title change, there was a difference in the description from your quote up there-The different part is in bold:

"The twelve works collected in this beautifully produced volume represent his latest foray into portraiture : an exploration of British types. In an illuminat ing essay, curator and art historian John Elderfield explains the story behind these works and Dylans approach to his art. Previously, Elderfield has acknowledged that while it may be unsettling when an artist does not adhere to the thing for which we have come to admire him most, Dylan has often asked his audience to get over the discomfort of his changing: And don't speak too soon / For the wheel's still in spin ... For Elderfield, Dylans paintings, like his songs, are product s of the same extraordinary, inventive imagination, the same mind and eye, by the same story - telling artist, for whom showing and telling the temporal and the spatial, the verbal and the visual are not easily separated."

Makes you wonder what the "British Types" will be, for example, does it refer to facial features, class distinctions, clothing :?:

PostPosted: Sat June 1st, 2013, 14:51 GMT 

Same point I made above - will go back and check, but when I last looked, the "British types" sentence was only on the .co.uk site and not the .com site.

Both sites are now giving the same title for the book - Face Value.

Still nothing on the National Portrait Gallery website -either the UK or US one. (Elderfield is British but works inthe States, I think, so it could be either country's National Portrait Gallery?)

PostPosted: Sat June 1st, 2013, 14:53 GMT 

And I can't imagine what "British types" means...perhaps twelve views of different women from behind as in Red Lion Pub??!

PostPosted: Sat June 1st, 2013, 15:08 GMT 

phaedra wrote:
Same point I made above - will go back and check, but when I last looked, the "British types" sentence was only on the .co.uk site and not the .com site.

oops, sorry, got too interested in the idea and skimmed too fast and didn't realize you had mentioned it.

phaedra wrote:
And I can't imagine what "British types" means...perhaps twelve views of different women from behind as in Red Lion Pub??!

:lol: That would be very funny... & Too cute :)

PostPosted: Tue July 16th, 2013, 15:45 GMT 

...now has a front cover (albeit a very boring one).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bob-Dylan-Face- ... =bob+dylan

PostPosted: Tue July 16th, 2013, 16:02 GMT 
Promethium Member

phaedra wrote:

Thanks. This has been on the NPG site for a while. I was hoping it was just a placeholder.
http://www.npg.org.uk/business/publications/bob-dylan-face-value.php

It'll be interesting to see if this collection and the new cover painting for ASP are related projects.

PostPosted: Tue July 16th, 2013, 18:57 GMT 
Titanium Member

The National Portrait Gallery is the U.K. National Portrait Gallery, not the one in Washington D.C.

The description of the book on the National Portrait Gallery Publications website says that the book is an examination of 12 portraits produced for the National Portrait Gallery, London. Specifically "'Face Value' accompanies a display of Bob Dylan's previously unseen and unpublished pastels produced for the National Portrait Gallery London." Elderfielde interviewed Dylan in conjunction with writing the book.

'Accompanies a display' means this book will accompany an exhibition, although where and when is not yet stipulated. A book connected to an exhibition may be published in advance, sometimes far in advance, of the actual exhibition.

Elderfielde is a very high profile figure in the art world. He was the head curator of the Museum of Modern Art in New York in the previous decade, one of the most powerful jobs in the art world. Some people would claim it is the most powerful job in the art world. I saw him interviewed in that capacity several times on "The Charlie Rose Show." Anyone wanting to know more about him may want to search the website for the show to see if those interviews between Rose and Elderfielde are available to watch online.

People in the Bootleg Volume 10 thread have posted what is presumed to be the artwork that will be on the cover of the release, wondering who the subject of the portrait is. It's possible that the decision to call the Bootleg 10
'Self Portrait' and include a new portrait by Dylan on the cd cover is an 'uncanny' tie-in to a new exhibition (and increasing focus upon) his art work. Whoever promotes Dylan has probably been working overtime to make sure the 'serendipity' behind the timing of these 2 things - the art exhibition and the new cd - will be seamless.

PostPosted: Thu July 18th, 2013, 05:23 GMT 

Thanks for the information, the_revelator!

PostPosted: Thu July 18th, 2013, 05:26 GMT 

phaedra wrote:

Hi phaedra.

I think the boringness of cover might be a king of joke or something. Am I crazy?